#1 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:12 AM

Hi!

I am experiencing heavy FPS drops as of late. I am playing the game for a number of years, but this was never as extreme as it is now. I tried hundreds of things digged out of even more forum threads all over the internet rooting back to several years ago, but NOTHING does change a bit. Currently running on DX9. Did a clean uninstall of Graphics Drivers (DDU) and reinstalled the latest. I checked all drivers on the system and everything is up to date. I cleared the shader cache and used the repair tool (I am on Steam, so it is called differently, but it still there, I am sure you know).

I start off with easy 130+ FPS into a game going down to about 50+ once the game actually starts and once in a while it drops as low as 10-15, sometimes even below 10. Does not matter if there is action going on or not. Sometimes it happens while just walking the map all alone (even in Training grounds). This spoils the game completly, as it (obviously) always happens in moments where you do not need it.
I do not care for 100+ FPS. I would be more than happy with 40-50 if they are stable and those 5-10 seconds running with 10-20 FPS would not ruin any fight I had in weeks.

I have stopped ANY software running in parallel. Only things active are MWO, Lasso and TeamSpeak.

My System:
http://www.sysprofile.de/id156241

Please, do not bother telling me that my system is not capable of playing the game as it is for sure. I limited the processor cores to 0, 2, 4 and 6 with lasso, but that did not help a bit. Watching the load on the cores does show that they are not even fully used. What can be seen is anyway, that the usage of the cores goes up any time the frames drop. I used the user.cfg to tweak around... with no result. I have been fiddling with this for days now and I am really sick and tired of it.

Strange thing is that I get this in the training grounds with extrem low settings (no AA) while just standig still. After a while frames just drop and in taskmanager there is nothing to be seen that could cause it. I took care to close down anything not needed.

Any usefull ideas?

Edited by Meldric Ward, 05 October 2016 - 01:57 AM.

#2 BabyCakes666

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:19 AM

if PGI got rid of all the particles and replaced it with HD textures the gpu load would be way smaller

and im getting FPS problems to

i was running fine now its going potato on me

fps drop way more when looking at large views like over river city or frozen city and forest :/

PS. frozen citys **** now stop making sniper maps with **** cover its hide or get sniped and other half of the map is a wast of space theres nothing there why the **** you put that in the map for so i can stand in the middle and get sniped?

#3 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

- Try DX10, after changing to x64 game become more stabile and runs great. Also turning off glass, monitor and some effects can help too. So, if you can use x64 version of game - try it.

#4 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

I have tried DX11 (I am sure you referred to that). Glass and monitors are off as well as AA and a lot of other eyecandy that my computer should be able to handle without getting into trouble.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

Your link shows nothing but the general website, as we are not able to log into your account.

What OS are you using? If Windows 10...

Power Options, set to High Performance then disable XBOX DVR, link below.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5421161

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 October 2016 - 04:19 AM.

#6 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:24 AM

Fixed the link:
http://www.sysprofile.de/id156241

Yes, using Windows 10 Anniversary. Will definitly try this tonight!

Edited by Meldric Ward, 04 October 2016 - 04:29 AM.

#7 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

God dammit! DVR was already switched off, so this does not really help me.
And on goes the digging...
:(

#8 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

Upgrade your cpu.

Since pgi's team mapper has decided to add in more cpu-intense effects on one of the industry's most intensely CPU locked games, people with less than a high end i7 CPU are going to suffer severe performance drops.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

i7 not needed. Running a 4 year old i5 oc to 4.5ghz w/ATI HD 7950.. without FPS cap max FPS 140ish, dependent on map.

OP, did you disable the other Xbox items per the video? Did you set power options to High Performance?

Also, are your monitoring programs logging a decrease in GPU/CPU speeds during play?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 October 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#10 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

@Tarl Cabot:
I did set power to hight performance and the XBOX items were already disabled (as DVR was).
The only thing I can see is that the load on the processor is going up from 40% to about 70% when the fps drops happen. nothing else. No processes, no nothing.

@Tibbnak:
How would this hardware be able to produce 130+ frames in one second and in the next drop to below 10 _without any movement_?

Upgrading:
I would not mind getting another CPU for my board... but upgrading does not just include the CPU. As I am using FX processor now, it would include a new mainboard with an i7 capable socket and the processor itself. Even though I have considered this, it is way too expensive to just get this one single game to run properly. Not even talking about the fact that I have been playing it for years without major problems. A board plus processor is something around 400,- and I would also need another CPU cooler and... well... you see where this leads to? Anything else is running fine, so this is really not an option.

---

EDIT:
What I just found out (and what is so ridiculous) is, that the display of the fps ingame (the info on the top left after pressing F9) itself takes about 10 fps away from the game. Fraps does show completly different numbers!
o_O

Edited by Meldric Ward, 05 October 2016 - 03:44 AM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

@Tarl Cabot:
I did set power to hight performance and the XBOX items were already disabled (as DVR was).
The only thing I can see is that the load on the processor is going up from 40% to about 70% when the fps drops happen. nothing else. No processes, no nothing.

Is that the load increase just on one core (showing 8 cores) or simply the CPU only?

@Tibbnak:
How would this hardware be able to produce 130+ frames in one second and in the next drop to below 10 _without any movement_?

The drop to 10FPS and CPU load jump to 70% may be due to the CPU throttling down due to at least one core exceeding thermal threshold, and/or the GPU throttling down.

Before doing the following, is the CPU or GPU OC any? On the CPU, when was last time the thermal paste was redone on it and the heatsinks cleared of all dust buildup, especially on the CPU heatsink? I ask about the CPU sink because I had built my nephew with the same CPU (stock fan/sink, I know...), and even though I had instructed him to blow out the system regularly, concentrating on the heatsinks, he had not. I ended up having to remove the sink to clean the dust build up, reapplied thermal paste but have ordered a new sink for him that will be easier to keep clean.

Force 32bit. For some players due to their systems, it dropped their max FPS but for them it made the game more manageable/playable. Many added the user.cfg with the line : sys_MaxFPS = 60

The user.cfg max FPS (vsync disabled in GPU UI and in game) helped by providing a more steady FPS, reducing the heat being generated, etc.

http://mwomercs.com/...2-force-32-bit/

http://www.tautvidas...el-turbo-boost/

For this, one reason to disable Turbo boost is that it is a layman's TEMP overclocking, where max power is applied to one core, and if that core exceeds thermal threshold, the entire cpu speed is dropped to min.

Follow the above directions, but instead of modifying an existing plan, create a new Power Plan.

Control Panel/Window Settings, System (Display/Notifications/apps/Power), Power/Sleep, Additional Power settings, Left hand side/Create new power plan.

Name it MWO, or TurboBoost Off and select High Performance then Create.

Now Select that Plans Change Plan settings/Change Advance Power Settings.

Change the Min/Max state to 98%

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 October 2016 - 04:29 AM.

#12 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hi!

I have nothing overclocked. I tried to run the 32Bit client and together with the processor setting it seems to be the answer to the problem. I have now even maxed out all settings again and was running in my tests with average 60 fps (capped) without major drops.

Seems like the CPU was throttled. I will test on and let everyone know what the outcome is. If this is the thing that needs to be done, it is definitly worth a collection and a sticky thread!

#13 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

- That moment when you have E8400 and have nearly no problem with game... except really heavy battle.

#14 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

It looks very much like this is it!

Thank you, Tarl Cabot! You definitly earned yourself a beer or two if you ever come close to my place!
I still ordered another cooling unit. Justin Case.

As a side-story:
I was watching a stream and the processor was around 70° while doing so. I applied the processor fix to the powerplan that was active and... the temperature dropped to below 40° AND the stream quality got much better.

Whoever came up with that "feature" needs to consider moving into a safe-room...

Edited by Meldric Ward, 05 October 2016 - 10:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users