97 replies to this topic

#21 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostPaigan, on 07 October 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

If you keep losing and losing, you know why.

Statistically speaking, 14 games isn't a large enough sampling to say with any certainty that a single person is at fault. Crap happens.

Edited by Bombast, 07 October 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#22 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Here's another reason I don't think the "you are always the problem" argument holds up.

In those 13 losses, I did the highest damage, or at least a top-3 damage, in every match. I didn't keep track of the kills, but I'd honestly say I did one minimum, two on average, and 3 a few times.

I'm not leeroying in. I'm not hiding. I'm intelligently using cover, keeping up my rate of fire. Relaying intel to the rest of the team, even.

And yet, I can't win a match...?

Edited by Appogee, 07 October 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#23 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

Think about it for a minute:
Pugs mean total random teams. On BOTH sides.
Meaning if your team mates suck, those in the enemy team suck as well. Not in every match, but in the long run.
In the long run, it's PERFECTLY 50-50.
You CANNOT lose like 14 times in a row.

EXCEPT: you're the reason. That is the ONLY explanation.

If you are tier 1 and are one of few in your team, you are meant to kind of carry and/or neutralize the other team's tier 1 guy.

not true. Your post make the HUGE assumption that all other 11 players on your teams are always 100% consistent in their play, that they are always playing up to their potential (never doing things like leveling new mechs or anything like that)

That simply is not the case

#24 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

If there's an equal chance of winning or losing, the probability of losing 13 times in a row is 0.25%.

This makes me think there's some other dynamic at work here.

Edited by Appogee, 07 October 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#25 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

If you try to win, trying very hard and playing "pretty good consistently", and still on a bad losing streak....
... The correct answer is to take a fast brawler and just leeroy in for a couple games.

The goal isn't to win, or even to play well. The goal is to remind yourself that you aren't the only good player in a world full of bads - you too are a bad at times. Change of perspective about the other players may change your ability to assist them in winning the game.

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 October 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

... you experience your 13th straight loss, having spawned on Alpine Domination, on the side of the map that always wins ... but your PUG team loses 3-12.

Seriously.

I woke up this morning thinking "Great! I'll get to play a lot of MWO today!" I end the day wondering why I even bother to play any more when I can't even get a 2XP on a Mech.

Sounds like my entire March thru June. Which is why, for all intents and purpose I have called it quits. I still like stompy robots to beak away 100%.... But to go from 8000+ matches a year to around 500... and maybe 10 in the last 3 months?

Seriously, it's this abject horrible play, nonstop in QP that has killed the game for me more than any other factor.

#27 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 07 October 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

You need to sell your strategy. There are hoards of players who would love to lose that many matches so they can drop a tier and fight newer, less experienced players.

Maxbar isn't budging. So there's absolutely no upside in this.

#28 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

Join a unit, play team queue.

The more control you have over team composition, the less potatoes there will be.

Would you roll dice to decide what weapons will go on your mech and expect to enjoy it?

Then why would that same plan work for doing drops?

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 07 October 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Many Posts and no one mentions the "the only constant is you..." phrase. Wonderous. Posted Image

harder to make stick when they got that "1" beneath their stinking badges!

(it's mostly an XP bar, true, but supposedly by the time one gets there, one should be playing almost entirely with "experienced" players?)

#30 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

Think about it for a minute:
Pugs mean total random teams. On BOTH sides.
Meaning if your team mates suck, those in the enemy team suck as well. Not in every match, but in the long run.
In the long run, it's PERFECTLY 50-50.
You CANNOT lose like 14 times in a row.

EXCEPT: you're the reason. That is the ONLY explanation.

If you are tier 1 and are one of few in your team, you are meant to kind of carry and/or neutralize the other team's tier 1 guy.

Sure you can, you can certainly lose 13 times in a row, it's just not likely.

And thank you for assuming the each individual is so insanely important in a TWELVE MAN team that solely a single person's performance can cause loss streaks. Because, you know, the other people in the game are irrelevant and everything.

CORRELATION ISN'T THE SAME AS CAUSATION.
Just because the player is a constant doesn't make the player the cause. Especially in a twelve man game.

#31 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Funny how people are starting to want PVE these days. Carry harder each and every game crushes the soul.

Posted Image

Edited by Imperius, 07 October 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostUltimax, on 07 October 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Join a unit, play team queue.

Problem with that....

Is there is a reason a lot of people do play QP... freedom. Time commitments, even TBH the difficulty of finding a group one likes. Since Hardcorps fell apart, I've had invites from quite a few units, and dropped with several. A lot were good team, good peoples.... but just didn't have that click, or chemistry I had with my old crew.

CGBI (who I am a member of on my Alt) even has had enough upheaval over the last year that it's lost a lot of that feel, and limits one's potential desire to log into TS, and join a group.

Also, while not an issue with every unit, sometimes? You just want to DROP. Not sit there while Bob makes "one more tweak" in Mechlab.

And it's not a "Just join a unit" issue.... I went all of 2015 solo, and while there were streaks here or there, in general, had a blast in QP. In fact, I loved the chaotic never know what you're going to get nature.

That dynamic has demonstrably, undeniably changed, post Steam. I don't blame it all on the Steam Noobs, etc... but as the stream of experienced long time players keeps heading out of the door, the MM only has these newer, "solo rambos", etc and all that to fill buckets from.

It does make a difference. Joining a unit doesn't actually FIX the core issue. That's liek going to a restaurant with a terrible menu, and horrible food... and because they have ONE thing they do well, saying ti's all good. The restaurant is still bad, and still going to go out of business if they don't fix their core issues.

#33 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Here's the other weird thing.

I'm playing in a Zeus with 2LPL and 3SRM6A. My other Zeus has this loadout, and it has my highest average kills per match of any Mech (4).

So while this Zeus isn't exactly meta, I'm not in a 'bad' Mech nor one with a bad loadout.

The fact that I'm still doing top-3 damage each match, with one or more kills, makes these continual losses even stranger from my perspective.

#34 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostAppogee, on 07 October 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

If there's an equal chance of winning or losing, the probability of losing 13 times in a row is 0.25%.

This makes me think there's some other dynamic at work here.

That's 1/400, and since there's *probably* more than 400 people playing... it's likely to happen to at least one person. And mind you, that's drastically more likely than winning a mech from a supply cache (At least I think it is). Yeah, just.. compared to other rare things, this isn't actually all that rare. I normally just go "Ok, if I lose say.. 5 in a row I'll take a break. If I come back to the same thing I'll just stop for the day".

#35 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostImperius, on 07 October 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Funny how people are starting to want PVE these days. Carry harder each and every game crushes the soul.

Posted Image

Some people have always wanted PVE, some don't want it at all, and some don't care either way. PVE is also pretty irrelevant to the OPs problems.

By the way how old is that pic? It certainly isn't recent given the match scores and what not.

#36 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thirteen straight losses? Bush league. I had about 40 straight at one point a couple weeks ago, enough to take me down to T4 from nearly mid T3. It got better, and I got stuck back in T3 on my first win, but I'm still losing two for every one I win, and when you do 235 damage and it's top team damage by far...and you have a Victor with 3 LRM15 on your team....you can see why losing streaks like this can happen.

#37 Eirik Eriksson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 201 posts
  • LocationIn the deep forests of Småland

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

My worst is 19 straight losses.

Will never forget it, just bought the shadow cats and had W/L 11-2 basicing them. Thought this is the best mech I ever played. Then on a late Sunday night I thought I´ll just take a couple of drops before going to bed, and I started this horrible journey. Ended up at 5.30 in the morning just in time to get to work when i finally got my 1st win on the 20th game. No need to mention I can be a bit stubborn sometimes.

After eliting them I still ended up with a W/L at 1,43 and K/D at 3,0. Normally I am not very superstitious, but after that I have never stretched the legs in those mechs again. And also,if I have 3 losses in a row I always feel a serious need to change mechs and weight class.

The jumping cicada is a good enough replacement for me nowadays.....

#38 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 07 October 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Many Posts and no one mentions the "the only constant is you..." phrase. Wonderous. Posted Image

I can't I used it once today already...

... you experience your 13th straight loss, having spawned on Alpine Domination, on the side of the map that always wins ... but your PUG team loses 3-12.

Seriously.

I woke up this morning thinking "Great! I'll get to play a lot of MWO today!" I end the day wondering why I even bother to play any more when I can't even get a 2XP on a Mech.

If you don't give a *hit it doesn't matter..

#39 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostSlow Speed, on 07 October 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

And also,if I have 3 losses in a row I always feel a serious need to change mechs and weight class.

That does seem to work, for some reason.

For my 14th match I got in an unElited Catapult A1 and we won the match.

The fact that this seems to work makes me think there's still some kind of "Elo per class" mechanic going on with the matchmaking, as was the case before PSR was introduced.

Edited by Appogee, 07 October 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#40 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

Seriously.

My innate need to not go to bed on a bad match has had me watching a sunrise or two...

Is this a daily thing for you Appogee? Recently I'm finding wins/losses come in waves. On a downtrend, I can certainly hit up 10-15 losses in a row. On an uptrend it's quite the opposite, 10-15 wins in a row. Oddly, my sinusoidal wave is always on an opposite phase from BulletSponge.

Perhaps today you will rack up a lot of good matches?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users