• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 22 October 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

From what I've picked up from reading in the forums it seems the main problem is that Heat scale is way too forgiving (You can go alpha 2-4 times before feeling the affects of heat kicking in)

Heatsinks, mostly DHS from what I get is just a straight upgrade increase heat capacity, other than improving heat dissipation rate, and while the IS do both it still a problem since it invalidate SHS completely.

These are the two things I can get off the top my head at the moment.

1. ED was designed to make high damage alphas hotter.

2. SHS were not planned on being truly viable in this game. They exist only to make stock builds playable, and are expected to be upgraded to DHS at first opportunity.

#22 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 22 October 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

I will contend that he did not fight a good fight, rather just memed all over the place. What I meant to say, all he ever does and did was assert that ED is bad, ED, doesnt work, but never demonstrate either by himeself or getting another group to test his claims of did ED do what it was supposed to do.

The reason I made this thread is that we seem to have people that still believe ED did not empirically demonstrate that it covered the Loopholes that GH allowed.

The problem with holding this view is that ED did in fact do what it needed to do. That is a separate issue from weapon balance or anything else. So straw manning ED is obvious to any one who can spot it.

needs to be demonstrated, that is the point. Not polled, not opinions, empirical fact and evidence

While not taking sides on this issue, my understanding is that the "loopholes" are what allowed DoT weapons, lasers, to compete with PPFLD weapons. The belief is that ED will force everyone back to PPCs in order to be competitive.

#23 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostDavers, on 22 October 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

While not taking sides on this issue, my understanding is that the "loopholes" are what allowed DoT weapons, lasers, to compete with PPFLD weapons. The belief is that ED will force everyone back to PPCs in order to be competitive.

Best summary of ED: Firing 4 Clan Medium Pulse Lasers breaks the ED limit. That is the close-range secondary armament of the DWF Prime loadout. You have to split up/volley fire 4 MPLas.

Posted Image

#24 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostDavers, on 22 October 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

I just don't see that happening, or at least why ED would make that the case. People can believe anything, but the truth in that I don't believe to be the case.

Is there a specific scenario in why you can describe that would give me better clarification?

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 22 October 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#25 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 22 October 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

I just don't see that happening, or at least why ED would make that the case. People can believe anything, but the truth in that I don't believe to be the case

But PGI does acknowledge it to be somewhat true, since lasers do have a reduced draw, .9 compared to 1 for PPFLD. I think people feel that isn't enough?

#26 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

You have a better chance of getting everyone on these forums to join in my cause in getting the MadCat MK II and put aside their hate for me. Then you do looking for people embracing ED.

#27 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostDavers, on 22 October 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

But PGI does acknowledge it to be somewhat true, since lasers do have a reduced draw, .9 compared to 1 for PPFLD. I think people feel that isn't enough?

Ill give it that certain weapons given the dynamics of a situation can dominate, nothing will change that. PPCs and guass will always be deadly at range, and give the chance to sling them at a comfortable pace. The flow of the game is too wild at times to tell what actually affected the match to be any certain way.

#28 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

I know let's get 24 people and TES.....
Posted Image
...oh wait?!?

#29 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostImperius, on 22 October 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

I know let's get 24 people and TES.....
Posted Image
...oh wait?!?

. It doesn't matter if you have 5 people in the test server. As long as the results can be repeated and variables can be tested then that is what Is important.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 22 October 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#30 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

Lol. ED is terrible and will likely cause a significant portion of the player base to dip from this game. Its terrible, and your arguments for what make it good are based on a lack of understanding of game balance and what people actually want out of this game.

If you were to poll the community you would find that the majority of people just want iterative game balance, more game modes, and better faction play. NOT Energy Draw. The responsesine to this thread should be enough. All types of players have come out against it. It's not good.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 22 October 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#31 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 22 October 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Lol. ED is terrible and will likely cause a significant portion of the player base to dip from this game. Its terrible, and your arguments for what make it good are based on a lack of understanding of game balance and what people actually want out of this game.

If you were to poll the community you would find that the majority of people just want iterative game balance, more game modes, and better faction play. NOT Energy Draw. The responsesine to this thread should be enough. All types of players have come out against it. It's not good.

YES BLOOD WOLF DO A POLL!

Do you like ED?
Yes or No

#32 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostImperius, on 22 October 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

YES BLOOD WOLF DO A POLL!

Do you like ED?
Yes or No

Posted Image

Let the playerbase vote what they think about ED

#33 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

Considering that it's been over a month since the last PTS build and PGI's dead silence on the whole matter (other than a post that's supposed to be coming from Russ "before the end of October"), I think it's safe to say ED isn't winning anything.

Which is good since both energy draw and ghost heat are terrible.

It could also unfortunately mean that PGI is satisfied (enough) with ED and they'll just throw it all out there anyways, but here's hoping they don't do that.

#34 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Did it myself people are taking too long!

http://mwomercs.com/...w/#entry5448070

#35 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostImperius, on 22 October 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

Voted. All votes so far are a "no".

#36 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

ED won't save the bad pilots or deter the play to win pilots. Those playing to win will still work around the limitations of the game.

The only certain thing is that it will alienate some people. It certainly won't help to recruit more new people or to bring back former players.

As long as this game stays as a DM lobby, there probably won't be much growth in player pool. There are much cheaper games with more content out there & better graphics out there.

#37 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

View PostImperius, on 22 October 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

Tempted to vote for both, because the option is there...but GhostHeat Mk2 is no laughing matter

#38 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 October 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

Tempted to vote for both, because the option is there...but GhostHeat Mk2 is no laughing matter

Wait really? Let me fix!m

Edit: good catch I thought I unchecked it but touch phones man...

Edited by Imperius, 22 October 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#39 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

For PGI, Energy Draw is a great and innovative system well within their technical expertise. Zero Convergence, Lock-On Convergence, a proper and functional Heat Scale*, which I'd vote for, btw, and other exotic solutions will not be implemented.

I suggest that, rather than argue against it or for a new system, we work with what we got and try to make it better with constructive feedback. Or angry tweets. Whichever works best.

*Russ said that this was possible, and that the Engineers found a solution to whatever problem prevented them from implementing a proper heat scale with real penalties, but this tweet was quickly buried and possibly deleted. Posted Image

#40 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Remember what Darwin said about change

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users