The Assassin Pre-Order Is Here!

174 replies to this topic

#141 Baron Cunedda Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 07 November 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

"its hides you from EVERYTHING, except visual...." - isn't that what the ECM does in MWO?

Look, PGI can't add an ability to a mech that completely negates some weapons types (in this case, LRMs and S-SRMs), with no counter to it.

I would be fine if the Assassin was "harder to lock", though - that would be a cool quirk. Until now, however, the FAQ makes no mention to anything about that.

PS: only the ASN-99 has Stealth Armor, and this is a mech from 3068.

Null Signature System was its first name.... it was mutated to Stealth Armor later... As for your comment of ECM does that.. no it doesn't, ECM can be broken, Null Tech can't be broken yet in our current time line.

As for your comment, as you speak on behalf of PGI... they can't..oh yes, they can... The Assassin Mech was the only one in our current time line to have this... plus if you was a Lore player, you knew the Assassin was almost a dead mech, during all the succession wars, they were almost wiped out.. especially in the 1st war...because of this ability, they had strike teams to just kill the mech and nuked the production factories that made them...

As for the FAQ, thats their standard promo to sell the mech... without this ability, I am on the fence of either to buy or not to buy, since the Overlord Pack.

#142 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 07 November 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

Well mechs like wasp/stinger were used first for weight restrictions and them for bv restrictions. Plus if you got really beat up or in a tight spot with a wasp/stinger you could death from above and maybe get a kill shot on a much bigger mech. All locust/Jenner could do was kick and if you got into melee with either you were boned. Plus there were snatch and grab missions that you had to have hand actuators to complete. Tt was way diff from the mindless lobby shooter we have here that only values a mech by how many guns it can bring and where they are located on the chassis.

As for useless ingame think about a humanoid that is smaller than a commando that can jump really far and carry 1 less laser. Sounds pretty damn fantastic to me.

I need Wasp and Stinger, and I also need "Stock Mode" - then I need a 12 v 12 composed entirely of Wasp, Locust, Commando and Urbies. And please, small maps only!

Edited by stealthraccoon, 07 November 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#143 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostOdanan, on 07 November 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

So it's the Locust... still in MWO, Locust it's a mech you can use and kill people.

Now think of jumping Locusts = Wasp/Stinger.

If I would choose one, I would choose the Wasp.
Wasp has a lot of variants, including some that emulate the Stinger (full energy or energy + ballistics).

About the little buggers, here is a look into the variants.

Except its not a jumping Locust because its profile is totally different. ;)

View Poststealthraccoon, on 07 November 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I need Wasp and Stinger, and I also need "Stock Mode" - then I need a 12 v 12 composed entirely of Wasp, Locust, Commando and Urbies. And please, small maps only!

Mmh there is stock mode now....

#144 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 November 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Called it. Knew the Assassin was coming next. Obvious choice since we only had one 40-tonner in the game already.

Not buying this one, of course. PGI needs to deliver more content before I buy more mech packs. But it looks cool.

My only problem with it, is that it's so limited.
  • ASN-21: SRM boat
  • ASN-23: Another SRM boat
  • ASN-101: Laser boat or laser+missile brawler
  • ASN-26: Another laser boat, probably. Unless it's super quirked.
  • ASN-27: Another laser+missile brawler
  • ASN-DD: I don't even know what they were thinking here. This looks like a candidate for worst hero mech. Maybe you can do an ECM+Gauss sniper, like the Cicada. Not really good, but kinda fun.
And the laser boats are going to struggle. None have more than 4 energy hardpoints and the Blackjack has 8 of them.

Will buy for C-bills next christmas.

You sir are an optimist! I keep hoping I will use up my premium time before this game goes full defunct.

#145 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

The -21 is the only one worth having, unless the others have real good quirks, but PGI doesn't give out good quirks anymore.. so -21 it is.

#146 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

My opinion is pretty summarized in chewies post.

I bought all IS mechs, mastery packs and released packs, and I play all of them, some not regularly, but even if it's a "flawed" mech I can enjoy playing it, even if it's only because of the extra c-bills or that I can at least master this mech a little bit faster.

Greetings

el piro

#147 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

actually the exterminator (65ton hunter-killer vs command mechs) was the first mention of using the Null sig system and as mentioned above, it was far superior to the ECM. The assassin was awesome with the chop shop modification of the LRM's and SRM's being replaced with small lasers and extra HS.. papercut them to death..but it was never a factory variant so we can't do that. Course... now i really wish they had the Exterminator, even without the Null Signature System.

#148 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

Not to mention the Null Sig system itself became Lostech even for any surviving Assassins, like a lot of other Star League Era tech.

The Spector had it as well, as well as a Light Polarization shield that was supposed to diffuse its appearance at range. All Lostech. So really not worth whining about stuff IS hasn't recovered just yet. We're more likely to see IS Tech II show up before we see Null Sig (other sizes of ER lasers, Ultra ACs, LBXs, Light Gauss, Larger Streaks, Light AC/5s, Light fusion engines, etc.)

#149 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 686 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 November 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

The -21 is the only one worth having, unless the others have real good quirks, but PGI doesn't give out good quirks anymore.. so -21 it is.

So many people bitched about quirks that now they barely quirk anything. Too afraid to make things "OP". Things won't be OP if PGI would just use their common sense to begin with. And the things that need quirks now simply don't get them like they are ignoring the forums. (Structure quirks for Viper arms, Armor quirks for Phoenix Hawk arms, etc). The Huntsman is too fragile and slow. It needs structure quirks as well. Why should the Nova get so much and the Huntsman nothing. Sure it can hold more firepower but the only reason the Nova lasts is it's just tougher. And going face to face with a Hunchback IIC can be dangerous. Annnnnyways the Assassin NEEDS near about insane quirks. Structure, possibly armor, weapon range, weapon cooldown, perhaps accel/decel/turn rate quirks. And not this 5% crap either. At least 10%. And not this 10% missile velocity crap they've been doing. COOLDOWN PGI...COOLDOWN!

#150 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

I just noticed something, that is one ugly mech. I don't think even PGI could save that thing from its era of origin.

#151 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:07 AM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 07 November 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

You sir are an optimist! I keep hoping I will use up my premium time before this game goes full defunct.

Curious how much you have now as I'm still at 500+ days just from pack buys which I thought was fairly insane. Posted Image

#152 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostTemu, on 07 November 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

actually the exterminator (65ton hunter-killer vs command mechs) was the first mention of using the Null sig system and as mentioned above, it was far superior to the ECM. The assassin was awesome with the chop shop modification of the LRM's and SRM's being replaced with small lasers and extra HS.. papercut them to death..but it was never a factory variant so we can't do that. Course... now i really wish they had the Exterminator, even without the Null Signature System.

My favourite background mech of all the TRO's, interesting story, defined role and a wicked look... Posted Image

#153 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:39 AM

View PostBaron Cunedda Kell, on 07 November 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Null Signature System was its first name.... it was mutated to Stealth Armor later... As for your comment of ECM does that.. no it doesn't, ECM can be broken, Null Tech can't be broken yet in our current time line.

As for your comment, as you speak on behalf of PGI... they can't..oh yes, they can... The Assassin Mech was the only one in our current time line to have this... plus if you was a Lore player, you knew the Assassin was almost a dead mech, during all the succession wars, they were almost wiped out.. especially in the 1st war...because of this ability, they had strike teams to just kill the mech and nuked the production factories that made them...

#154 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostRamrod AI, on 04 November 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Kewl! But please please please do the Annihilator soon afterwards!

God yes <3 And the Stone Rhino right after that! Maybe a Marauder II? :D

Gonna hafta pass on the Assassin. It's a sweet looking mech, but the hardpoints just don't tickle me. Glad to see other people like it though!

#155 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

i'm sort of surprised that all the originals 13 (ignoring the Merlin) are not playable yet. Stinger, wasp, locust, griffin, shadowhawk, wolverine, rifleman, crusader, warhammer, Archer, marauder, battlemaster, and the trainer mech Chameleon. just short the stinger, wasp, crusader and chameleon. I can understand no real rush for the stinger/wasp.. but the crusader and chameleon would really make it feel complete.

#156 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostTemu, on 08 November 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

i'm sort of surprised that all the originals 13 (ignoring the Merlin) are not playable yet. Stinger, wasp, locust, griffin, shadowhawk, wolverine, rifleman, crusader, warhammer, Archer, marauder, battlemaster, and the trainer mech Chameleon. just short the stinger, wasp, crusader and chameleon. I can understand no real rush for the stinger/wasp.. but the crusader and chameleon would really make it feel complete.

Chamaleon is too much like the Phoenix Hawk, but Wasp (and or Stinger), Valkyrie and Crusader would be great additions to the game.

#157 BFP

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEU

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

Decals on pre-order, no thanks... Give back modules or allow choice of bonus from a pool.

#158 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostBFP, on 10 November 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

...allow choice of bonus from a pool.

That sir, is a fantastic idea.

#159 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

I would love to see the crusader. It was one of the main unseen mechs along with the marauder warhammer archer and rifleman. 65t humanoid missile boat would tickle my fancy just fine.

#160 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:53 AM

View PostBaron Cunedda Kell, on 07 November 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

As for the FAQ, thats their standard promo to sell the mech... without this ability, I am on the fence of either to buy or not to buy, since the Overlord Pack.

You've mistaken the Assassin for the Exterminator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users