The Assassin Pre-Order Is Here!

174 replies to this topic

#121 Ponyboy

• PipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

More cannon fodder for the clan monsters. Wake me up, when they announce a competitive IS omni.

#122 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostPonyboy, on 06 November 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Wake me up, when they announce a competitive IS omni.

So.... Never?

#123 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostPonyboy, on 06 November 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

More cannon fodder for the clan monsters. Wake me up, when they announce a competitive IS omni.

That's a contradiction in terms unless IS Omnis are allowed to mount Clan tech like in past games.

#124 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostOdanan, on 06 November 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

I have a lot of fun with Vipers in solo queue... (and with Cicadas, Firestarters, Arctic Cheetahs...) You just need to adapt to the chassis you are using.

That's sort of my point. I love the viper, Phoenix Hawk etc. Now Arctic is just easy mode though so doesn't really fit the discussion.... ;)

#125 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 05 November 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

And just for the record, this game needs the Piranha. The clanners don't have a 20 ton mech and 12 MG's would be dope. And it would fill a unique niche in the game. And... Piranha games... come on. Namesake mech.

Don't think the Clans need any other scary 'mechs at the moment, especially since you guys are fielding the best medium, heavy, assault on your side, you don't need the best light 'mech too.

It would be cool, just, IS are like, ouchie right now, game balance first, pretty 'mechs second.
(Says this on a 'mech announcement thread)

Edited by Jaspbo1, 06 November 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#126 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

My gosh, so much butt hurt in this thread! I was all excited for a cool looking jumpy IS runabout - then everyone cries because it's not going to break everything else that has already been released.

No this won't reall do anything different from other mechs - but I'm going to be legging myself like mad; anything other than max jj's is not acceptable!

But for real, Wasp is next, rite?!?

Edited by stealthraccoon, 06 November 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#127 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:30 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 06 November 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

My gosh, so much butt hurt in this thread! I was all excited for a cool looking jumpy IS runabout - then everyone cries because it's not going to break everything else that has already been released.

reasonable words? here? Dude, your doing it wrong!

#128 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

But for real, Wasp AND Stinger are next, rite?!?

Fixed it for ya, brudda. Posted Image

Edited by Jaspbo1, 07 November 2016 - 12:16 AM.

#129 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

But for real, Wasp is next, rite?!?

why would anyone want the wasp, the stinger has it beat. Not to mention its only good feature is that i can jump

#130 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:30 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 07 November 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

why would anyone want the wasp, the stinger has it beat. Not to mention its only good feature is that i can jump

Not sure why anyone would want either except for sentimentality about 3025 and the game at the start. They were awful in tabletop compared to lights like the Jenner.

#131 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

View PostAramuside, on 07 November 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Not sure why anyone would want either except for sentimentality about 3025 and the game at the start. They were awful in tabletop compared to lights like the Jenner.

Just like how the Origins IIC mechs are meant to be second line clan mechs given to lower caste pilots with the intention of being deathtraps, yet the Hunchback IIC is one of the more competitive ballistic mediums around?
Not to derail even further, but a Wasp and Stinger twin pack would probably sell quite well, no? (Note: I don't actually know of these two chassis, I'll investigate and get back to myself)

EDIT: Ok holy crap they're going to need a bit of work to get that Macross flavour out of them

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 07 November 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#132 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 07 November 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

Just like how the Origins IIC mechs are meant to be second line clan mechs given to lower caste pilots with the intention of being deathtraps, yet the Hunchback IIC is one of the more competitive ballistic mediums around?
Not to derail even further, but a Wasp and Stinger twin pack would probably sell quite well, no? (Note: I don't actually know of these two chassis, I'll investigate and get back to myself)

EDIT: Ok holy crap they're going to need a bit of work to get that Macross flavour out of them

As in their design is basically lifted straight from Macross? ;)

#133 Leopardo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 04 November 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Called it. Knew the Assassin was coming next. Obvious choice since we only had one 40-tonner in the game already.

Not buying this one, of course. PGI needs to deliver more content before I buy more mech packs. But it looks cool.

My only problem with it, is that it's so limited.
  • ASN-21: SRM boat
  • ASN-23: Another SRM boat
  • ASN-101: Laser boat or laser+missile brawler
  • ASN-26: Another laser boat, probably. Unless it's super quirked.
  • ASN-27: Another laser+missile brawler
  • ASN-DD: I don't even know what they were thinking here. This looks like a candidate for worst hero mech. Maybe you can do an ECM+Gauss sniper, like the Cicada. Not really good, but kinda fun.
And the laser boats are going to struggle. None have more than 4 energy hardpoints and the Blackjack has 8 of them.

Will buy for C-bills next christmas.

nah worst hero mech is spider A - anansi

#134 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:50 AM

So it's the Locust... still in MWO, Locust it's a mech you can use and kill people.

Now think of jumping Locusts = Wasp/Stinger.

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 07 November 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

If I would choose one, I would choose the Wasp.
Wasp has a lot of variants, including some that emulate the Stinger (full energy or energy + ballistics).

About the little buggers, here is a look into the variants.

#135 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

And you tell me you pilot meta only, 'cause you don't have fun with the other 150+ mechs?

#136 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Well mechs like wasp/stinger were used first for weight restrictions and them for bv restrictions. Plus if you got really beat up or in a tight spot with a wasp/stinger you could death from above and maybe get a kill shot on a much bigger mech. All locust/Jenner could do was kick and if you got into melee with either you were boned. Plus there were snatch and grab missions that you had to have hand actuators to complete. Tt was way diff from the mindless lobby shooter we have here that only values a mech by how many guns it can bring and where they are located on the chassis.

As for useless ingame think about a humanoid that is smaller than a commando that can jump really far and carry 1 less laser. Sounds pretty damn fantastic to me.

Edited by Sephrus Shanadar, 07 November 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#137 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

Wasp/Stingers were essentially the same mech except for the secondary weaponry (prior to the helm memory core revival period). Both had a medium laser as the primary. Stingers had a pair of MGs and 1 ton of ammo and the Wasp had an SRM2 and 1 ton of ammo. In other words, 3 tons of weaponry total each. Since MG ammo was 200 shots per ton, potentially the MGs gave the higher ammunition based damage potential (at 400 vs 200). Of course this is also why we don't have proper MGs in MWO. At 2 damage per shot up to 90 meters... we couldn't very well have spider's with 6 of them running around the map with no heat 12 damage shots (even if they slowed the ROF down to near what AC/2s are at) for zero heat. Nobody would bother with assault mechs then.

#138 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 06 November 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

Russ said on the Twitter just yesterday that THERE WILL BE LIGHT MECH PACKS. He doesn't say when, but I think we are near. (Fire Moth next, please!)

I'd rather have Piranha if it's going to be a clan light, and Wasp, Javelin, or Valkyrie when I.S turn comes around again for lights

#139 Baron Cunedda Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

I am doubtful anyone will read this, but here it goes. I have purchased everything they have thrown out, since the Overload Pack. My question for this new battlemech before I put down more cash

1. Does PGI plan on being faithful to the Assassin Battlemech? Let me explain, per LORE and Gamemechanics, the Assassin Battlemech sported the
Null Signature System aka Stealth Armor

Null Signature System is capable of shielding a BattleMech's presence from all but visual detection. It was the only one, that I can think right off the bat, had this ability, its a Star League Battlemech and if anyone can remember, they were WIPED OUT! Yes a few made it (IE making it to 3025 era) but they were rare, the Succession State targeted them, because they were this dangerous and just a PAIN in the ***... hence the Assassin name and it was well earned.

Now, tell me PGI, since you was able to add the Night Gyr ability into the game and tbh it didn't unbalance or heck really do anything, will you be adding this ability to the Assassin, because if you are considering it... then I AM GAME, as lets be honest, reread its ability... its hides you from EVERYTHING, except visual.... I would buy this useless battlemech and add it to my stable... If someone would be so kind and get back with me on this, it would be great... For the rest of you players, look up your history on this mech and the game mechanics... (IE Radar, Probes, Heat Vision to name a few would be hidden while driving the Assassin)

Edited by Baron Cunedda Kell, 07 November 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#140 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostBaron Cunedda Kell, on 07 November 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

I am doubtful anyone will read this, but here it goes. I have purchased everything they have thrown out, since the Overload Pack. My question for this new battlemech before I put down more cash

1. Does PGI plan on being faithful to the Assassin Battlemech? Let me explain, per LORE and Gamemechanics, the Assassin Battlemech sported the
Null Signature System aka Stealth Armor

[color=#000000]the [/color]Null Signature System[color=#000000] is capable of shielding a [/color]BattleMech[color=#000000]'s presence from all but visual detection. It was the only one, that I can think right off the bat, had this ability, its a Star League Battlemech and if anyone can remember, they were WIPED OUT! Yes a few made it ([/color][color=#000000]IE making it to 3025 era) [/color][color=#000000]but they were rare, the Succession State targeted them, because they were this dangerous and just a PAIN in the ***... hence the Assassin name and it was well earned.[/color]

[color=#000000]Now, tell me PGI, since you was able to add the Night Gyr ability into the game and tbh it didn't unbalance or heck really do anything, will you be adding this ability to the Assassin, because if you are considering it... then I AM GAME, as lets be honest, reread its ability... its hides you from EVERYTHING, except visual.... I would buy this useless battlemech and add it to my stable... If someone would be so kind and get back with me on this, it would be great... For the rest of you players, look up your history on this mech and the game mechanics... (IE Radar, Probes, Heat Vision to name a few would be hidden while driving the Assassin)[/color]

"its hides you from EVERYTHING, except visual...." - isn't that what the ECM does in MWO?

Look, PGI can't add an ability to a mech that completely negates some weapons types (in this case, LRMs and S-SRMs), with no counter to it.

I would be fine if the Assassin was "harder to lock", though - that would be a cool quirk. Until now, however, the FAQ makes no mention to anything about that.

PS: only the ASN-99 has Stealth Armor, and this is a mech from 3068.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users