New Performance Packs Now Available Through Steam!

113 replies to this topic

#21 SoloidSnake

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

I don't normally post, I'm much more of a lurker. But I can't help myself but rant about these "performance" packs.

For $30, the steam consumer is getting arguably the two worst light mechs in the game. The same person can spend around the same amount of money and get three mechs (of any weight class) from a mechpack here on the official website and the same amount of MC, save for the earlier released mechpacks. Sure, no paintjobs or c-bills that is provided in the "peformance" pack, but atleast you can master the mechs and get premium time via $20 mechpacks on here.

This is but a single argument I have against these "performance" packs. I could go on about the value of $60 that gives you a Zeus(LOL) and a Warhawk(meh).

PGI, seriously reconsider these "performance" pack. Newer players who buy this will feel cheated, and this won't court newer players to stick around. At the very least, provide two more chassis' per mech so the consumer can actually master the mechs. This will actually give them value and I guarantee people will buy them.

#22 Commander Harrison

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

Going to buy all!! ALL!!

#23 JonDoeIowa

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

I must say the choices are underwhelming, going to your normal store and buying Mastery packs would be a better choice for the cost. Perhaps you should change the Performance Packs to mastery packs?

#24 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Stop mixing Clan and IS, and help out the new Steam people by having 3 variants of the same mech. This is "A BATTLETECH GAME" and Clan and IS are separate factions, so maybe make faction-specific "performance" packs that include a faction-specific mech and two other variants, plus faction camo for all three and three sets of faction cockpit items.

#25 Slumbering Shadow

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:09 PM

IMHO, the medium pack is the only variant worth investing in. Both mechs are fun to play. As for the rest... I wouldn't advise buying them unless they were being sold at 40-50% discount, and even then I would only buy them for the MC, CBills, Prime Time and gear that I would strip off these mechs.

Rated from best to worst I'd say: medium > heavy > assault > light performance pack...

#26 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:04 AM

noooooooo ....... was waiting for the next sale to buy the heavy performance pack..now its gone. I dont really like the new packs.

#27 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

I'm ashamed to say I'm slightly tempted by the light pack as otherwise i'll never level up panthers or mist lynx's. Posted Image

In fairness i'll probably just wait for a sale on them... but eventually I'll get them.

#28 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

Curious about those assault pack choices - do Zeus's normally mount xl engines as I almost never see them in game?

Also rather surprised on the Warhawk as I'm lost as to why I wouldn't just run that loadout on a much lighter and more mobile clan mech.

Genuine questions not moans btw as I don't run either. Posted Image

Edited by Aramuside, 24 November 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#29 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:54 AM

First of all, it really messes with my OCD that all of the IS mechs are from the Resistance 1 pack, except for the Crab which is from Resistance 2. :)

I would just like to point out that it's a shame that they chose the CRB-27B variant. Yes it can boat 1 more laser. But the CRB-20 has higher engine cab and the CRB-27SL has jump jets.

#30 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

Argh!
I was looking for the new packs to come out just before the mechbay sale for obvious reasons. But the contained Mechs are either those I already have as Champion from some event (SHC, WHK), or which I don't need or want altogether.
With the only exception being the Crab.

What do I do now? :(

#31 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:19 AM

id consider the crab, but i dont want a shadow cat i cant sell.

Also lol at the mech choices, Zeus has vanished since rescale and i used to pilot my Zeus's a lot. Panther AND Myst Lynx as a combo? for 20$? haha. no.

The heavy and medium packs are ok i guess.

#32 Wibble in a Clan can

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:13 AM

PGI screws over the faction loyalists and new players ignorant of crap mechs again. GGWP

#33 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:56 AM

View PostWibbsScrapMerc, on 24 November 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

PGI screws over the faction loyalists and new players ignorant of crap mechs again. GGWP

Faction loyalist rants again.... GGWP

(even if I partially agree on the mechs)

#34 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:16 AM

these are not mechs that help u perform decently, rather, they are mechs that require u to perform extra well to attain a decent score.

#35 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:18 AM

PGI, please reconsider either the pricing points, or the 'mechs themselves.

These aren't beginner friendly 'mechs at all.

#36 Mumpitzmaster

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:23 AM

How about actual content? Stop releasing such crapy Packs and give us new maps, modes and stuff that change things.
New mechs are not really new content, since people who already have a lot, give **** about new mechs. They want to see something really new.

Capture the Flag
Multi-Domination (Domination with multiple Spots, once taken cant be changed, maybe with firesupport for the owning side)
Next FW phase
limited capacities for merc contracts to a Faction to prevent all big mercs from joining the same faction
more diversity at all, not just mechs and loadout
AI? Weren't there plans for AI?

I already see you running out of money because of packs like this. Don't do that to us.

#37 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostChuanhao, on 24 November 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

these are not mechs that help u perform decently, rather, they are mechs that require u to perform extra well to attain a decent score.

Well, Ebon Jag is a solid mech. The other Clan chassis in these packs, however, do range from high-skill mechs to underperformers. Can't really speak for the IS 'cause I don't play IS tech, but last time I checked, neither Zeus nor Panther were considered OP :D

#38 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

Something just tells me selling separate mastery packs (now that we have even Clan heroes) on Steam perhaps with some added value in c-bills and MC would be a better choice than this...

I am just putting a new player's hat on right now:

I paid some hard cash to start me with a couple of 'mechs. I do not really know what I am doing, so I just press quick play and see what happens. I play a couple of matches, start to notice stuff like XP that is earned, perhaps someone tells me to use the Academy...

And then I realize I need to grind a lot to do anything - master the chassis, change the loadout... sure, the packs contain some c-bills and MC, but definitely not enough for mastery or a major build overhaul. And on top of that I have a set of 'mechs that play completely differently (and the chassis in this iteration of Steam packages are quite challenging to do well in, especially the Light and Assault package).

Not sure if I would feel very motivated to spend more time and money on the game, were I in this position.

In this situation a Mastery pack seems to be a better choice to me - it offers enough 'mechs to master a chassis, the 'mechs have a similar feel to them, but often allow for varied gameplay and options. And on top of all that you have the option to choose between tech bases and play whatever you like.

#39 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

I too find 3 out of 4 packs not suitable for new players, if anything, they can only discourage them to play the game and invest more money.
However, the heavy pack is really on point. EBJ was my first mech and is still my favourite due to diversity, GHR is one of the better heavies, and good IS laserboats are easy enough to play. When i overcome my disgust for man-shaped mechs (i.e. when the sale comes), i will definitely buy the heavy pack.
I strongly suggest to review the choice of mechs for other packs (except may be the medium). The current ones will do no good both for playerbase and the company itself.

#40 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 24 November 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

Well, Ebon Jag is a solid mech. The other Clan chassis in these packs, however, do range from high-skill mechs to underperformers. Can't really speak for the IS 'cause I don't play IS tech, but last time I checked, neither Zeus nor Panther were considered OP Posted Image

Hey don't say that as I just bought the Shadow Cats as part of Clan pack 3 and love mediums. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users