Who Is Funding Mw5.....

147 replies to this topic

#21 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

I must say, I am really a bit impressed by the video. But on the other hand I was blown away by the teaser trailer for MWo 2011, and we all know how that turned out.

No money in advance from me. I don't think PGI can pull this through on a satisfying level. If they do make a good game, then I will probably buy it when it's out and tested. Paying money for faith in PGI? Never again.

#22 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

One time purchase? How much? 120 and I get a Tshirt? 50 or 60 and I get just the game? It depends but if reasonable I am willing to support it.

#23 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

I guess they also get some licensing money and possibly royalties from the assets being used by the battletech game. Probably paid by many of us as well though... :-) but let's hope for spillover going in the other direction as well once they cash in mwo5.

#24 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

So some beleive that PGI can develop 2 games on 2 engines at the same time and keep reasonable development pace on both games? PGI ?.

#25 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 December 2016 - 01:18 AM, said:

In fairness, we were always going to have to pay twice for single-player content. No PvE add-on for MWO would ever have been free. Just be glad that you're paying a fixed rate for the initial sale, and then hope to god PGI doesn't try to nickle-and-dime you for "content" thereafter.

LOL I think PGI knows the value of constantly selling DLC. ;)

#26 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

What they spend their business profits on is their business.

#27 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

Looking back at the last 5 years including the last Mechwarrior 5 Trailer..... expectations are low on that one...

#28 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:10 AM

View PostAppogee, on 04 December 2016 - 02:40 AM, said:

[REDACTED]

That carrot used to be CW for me.
...turned out it was just so much styrofoam, which is why I'm apprehensive at this point.
Sure, Single player is something that I've been very VERY vocal about wanting since this game came out, but besides the Introduced-in-3024 Raven in a 3015-set game, I need to make sure there's no hook in that worm...

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 07 December 2016 - 01:30 AM.
Quote cleanup

#29 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 December 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Well for me that just confirms i will not be spending any more on MWO, i dont know how many people are like me but i dont do non pvp games and im not about to put money into a game thats being used to fund another game that im not likely to play.

For every one on the FORUM saying they want PvP only you have at least one that craves PvE

View PostDuke Nedo, on 04 December 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

I guess they also get some licensing money and possibly royalties from the assets being used by the battletech game. Probably paid by many of us as well though... :-) but let's hope for spillover going in the other direction as well once they cash in mwo5.

Royalties from physical sales

View PostN0MAD, on 04 December 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

So some beleive that PGI can develop 2 games on 2 engines at the same time and keep reasonable development pace on both games? PGI ?.

No
I think no one's does for real

#30 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:41 AM

I'm happy to see MW:5, I will most likely try it out once it's been released on steam.

As for whether or not I will continue to buy mech packs, probably not. I don't really see much of a future for MW:O now with MW:5 being worked on. I think the game is what it is, other than minor changes being made here and there.

I also don't see them porting any of this over to MW:O. Why would they bother? It would probably be easier for them to recreate the quick play games mode in MW:5 assuming they decide to add multiplayer options to it. It's not like those game modes in quick play are all that complicated.

Edited by s0da72, 04 December 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#31 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:44 AM

Well for me that just confirms i will not be spending any more on MWO, i dont know how many people are like me but i dont do non pvp games and im not about to put money into a game thats being used to fund another game that im not likely to play.

I think they will be connected in some way. Likely they will share assets like maps, buildings (maybe destructible buildings). The mechs seemed bigger in appearance, but the only way to be sure about scale is playing the game.

#32 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:26 AM

View PostAppogee, on 04 December 2016 - 02:40 AM, said:

[REDACTED]

Actually there are 2 carrots: one ahead, and one used behind (after the costumer has paid)

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 07 December 2016 - 01:31 AM.
Quote Cleanup

#33 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

It was stated by Russ nearly 12 months ago that MWO would have to change engine within 2 years anyway. We've been waiting 9 months for the announcement of *which* engine they were choosing.

This is a good sign. The Unreal4 engine team are doing all the hard work from scratch, allowing the current CryEngine team to do maintenance and develop the art assets (art is easily portable across).

Once MW5 goes Alpha or pre-Beta, expect an announcement about what date MWO will be ported across.

#34 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

same here!

#35 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 04 December 2016 - 04:39 AM, said:

It was stated by Russ nearly 12 months ago

Oh yes. OK then.

I didn't know what to think, but if Russ said that 12 months ago, then we know it to be true.

Uh huh.

#36 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:21 AM

PGI is funding it and that is totally ok. They use the money they earn with this game, that is normal business behaviour, I don't understand how one can be upset about it. And at least I'm happy they reinvest the money into a mw game instead of buying a new porsche for the ceo.

I am more curious how much it will cost. I mean your usual AAA game is 50-60 dollar, for the whole game. Normally they get that out of a mech pack but now they have to deliver a fleshed out game for it. Will be interesting to see what they deliver.

#37 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

My man, why do you think they've had brand new grab deals every month for the past couple years now?

#38 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 December 2016 - 01:05 AM, said:

So lots of talk/topics about MW5..
But i havnt seen anything about who is funding this new venture, is it going to be crowd funded or is PGI funding the game?.

I know I won't be

#39 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:05 AM

Ill wait for unbiased in depth reviews,if they are mediocre(most people have way too low attention span these days for robutt autism games) or better,ill buy it.

Preordering is harmful and gives birth to bitter grumpy toxic whiners that believe in hype and are present as a loud minority in every possible current title on the market.

#40 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:06 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 04 December 2016 - 01:05 AM, said:

So lots of talk/topics about MW5..
But i havnt seen anything about who is funding this new venture, is it going to be crowd funded or is PGI funding the game?.

Microsoft.

Haha I don't know just made that up. But it would make sense. Microsoft is like an Atlas hiding behind a small house in all of this. :) "You cant see me because I'm hiding behind this tiny house" says the giant Atlas. Wish I had a meme to go with this. A funny one not a mean one. :) Because I think its all cool and kind of funny.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2016 - 06:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users