How Is There Such A Big Diff In T1 And T2?

104 replies to this topic

#41 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 December 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

People in my matches have been saying that they are Tier 4, not sure if trolling though..

I played a guy yesterday who had just made a fresh account for that order of the black phoenix thing. He said he was still tier 4.

I've noticed that Matchmaker has been a little wonky since Season 6. At first I thought it was just a lot of people at mechcon, but now I'm not so sure.

Edited by Jman5, 07 December 2016 - 09:22 PM.

#42 Remains Intact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

The biggest actual difference between being tier 1 and tier 2, is that you are now taking up a tier 1 slot for the team and your personal contribution is expected to be greater. You are now expected to play as well as the tier 1 player you replaced, and you better hope the tier 2 player that is now taking up your old slot is as skilled as you were.

Edit: You will also find playing "fun" relaxed non meta mechs to be extremely unfun in solo Q since t1 players are expected to carry so much weight. For messing around and having fun with more relaxed goof around builds I recommend duo or group que'ing.

Edited by Remains Intact, 07 December 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#43 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:46 PM

View PostRemains Intact, on 07 December 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

The biggest actual difference between being tier 1 and tier 2, is that you are now taking up a tier 1 slot for the team and your personal contribution is expected to be greater. You are now expected to play as well as the tier 1 player you replaced, and you better hope the tier 2 player that is now taking up your old slot is as skilled as you were.

Edit: You will also find playing "fun" relaxed non meta mechs to be extremely unfun in solo Q since t1 players are expected to carry so much weight. For messing around and having fun with more relaxed goof around builds I recommend duo or group que'ing.

I would rather derp around in more trolling builds in solo queue where a good Tier 1 can carry with pretty much anything apart from the worst troll builds. Taking troll builds into group queue however means you run the chance of getting much more coordinated and better players than exists in solo queue and you stand to get rolled much harder

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 07 December 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#44 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 07 December 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

[Comment removed]

<3

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 07 December 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#45 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostJman5, on 07 December 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

I played a guy yesterday who had just made a fresh account for that order of the black phoenix thing. He said he was still tier 4.

I've noticed that Matchmaker has been a little wonky since Season 6. At first I thought it was just a lot of people at mechcon, but now I'm not so sure.

There is honestly not enough people to MM with at any given one time... outside of outliers (due to averaging) or people not in the correct/proper PSR rating due to how PSR works... in essence the current system is conducive to being outright random, with the exception of the unicorns. Population is partly the issue, but the valves are generally more open than a target in the middle of no cover from LRMs.

Edited by Deathlike, 07 December 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#46 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 December 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

Dude, I wasn't even talking to Gaden. #GetOffMyBack

damn... i just realized that and deleted the comment. What was that like 45 second response time? faster than a screw up on facebook

#47 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Ummm, no, not at all. You can run whatever you want in Tier 1, especially in the solo queue. You just have to use your brain and not be a potato.

Edit: Hard for me to take what you have to say at face value, as you have only played 6 matches in the past couple months..

Exactly, after I saw Snuggles (top of T1) recking people with joke builds like UAC2 Adder in group queue with one of the highest scores in the game I am convinced it's all about the brain and not so much "meta or lose". And I would never consider bringing a build like that into my games as I'm really enjoying efficient meta, PPFLD and brawler builds (but don't play much hence still T2) yet I see some people will make anything work.

Don't forget that you still play with +1/-1 tier difference, even as a T2 some of your games will be mix of T1-T2 if enough players are on, basicaly exactly the same experience as a T1 player would have. But I don't know if MM actually makes any T1-only games. If you sometimes get one of those, it might be a bigger challenge.

#48 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

T1 all-star matches suck. Half of us are in sh*t 'Mechs and the rest aren't, and the games don't usually reward anybody with high damage because we're all too efficient and things get killed super fast. Game usually comes down to who has less sh*t 'Mechs.

#49 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

Ummm, no, not at all. You can run whatever you want in Tier 1, especially in the solo queue. You just have to use your brain and not be a potato.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 December 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

T1 all-star matches suck. Half of us are in sh*t 'Mechs and the rest aren't, and the games don't usually reward anybody with high damage because we're all too efficient and things get killed super fast. Game usually comes down to who has less sh*t 'Mechs.

Yesterday, I took out my Legend Killer and got killed in seconds, by xl side torso explosion..... 58 point of armor in RT and internals stripped in seconds. That was painful and wt ...

Today morning, I was torso twisting and I found that the enemies would actually wait patiently for me to twist back (to fire) before they (themselves) fire. That level of pro-ness is painful (and not fun). Especially when T1 people alpha like a brick.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 08 December 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#50 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:33 AM

Wonder what will change, I'm hitting T1 this weekend as I'm already a microscopic increment away from it

Though I don't expect much difference, since teams vary greatly in competence, because it seems there isn't really much MM going anyway.

Good example of a match with no MM like that was yesterday, I got 7 kills (6 KMMD) and 1000+ dmg on my 2 CERPPC Linebacker, didn't even get cored and I solo killed the light lance, they had potatos that either move or shoot, not both

^ That's how T2 looks

Edited by DovisKhan, 08 December 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#51 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 08 December 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

Yesterday, I took out my Legend Killer and got killed in seconds, by xl side torso explosion..... 58 point of armor in RT and internals stripped in seconds. That was painful and wt ...

Today morning, I was torso twisting and I found that the enemies would actually wait patiently for me to twist back (to fire) before they (themselves) fire. That level of pro-ness is painful (and not fun). Especially when T1 people alpha like brick.

That's when you bait them into firing by faking a twist back to shoot.

#52 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

Today morning, I was torso twisting and I found that the enemies would actually wait patiently for me to twist back (to fire) before they (themselves) fire. That level of pro-ness is painful (and not fun). Especially when T1 people alpha like a brick.

I see this in T2 pretty often as well (but not always), meta builds and patient exchanges, it's the mix of both tiers in most of the games anyway.

#53 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 December 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

People in my matches have been saying that they are Tier 4, not sure if trolling though..

They are. The lowest you can be matched is Tier 3, and that's only if the match has been looking for players past two minutes.

#54 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 08 December 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

They are. The lowest you can be matched is Tier 3, and that's only if the match has been looking for players past two minutes.

Gas knows that already, but I wonder how often MM actually gets opened up past then during super low population times.

#55 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:50 AM

Tier?
PSR?
What the fugg are you talking about?
The culprit was, is and ever will be charlie lance doing sub 200 dmg.

Disclaimer:
By no means i intend to discriminate charlie lance. But it always sucks. Except i'm in charlie, then, obviously, alpha sucks.
Peace&out.

#56 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 08 December 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Gas knows that already, but I wonder how often MM actually gets opened up past then during super low population times.

It doesn't. The three-match spread is the maximum, and there are no safety valves for low population times any more - that was a big part of why they went to PSR in the first place. The game starts out trying to find a match of the same tier (I haven't found any information from PGI on how it seeds that tier,) and then expands its search after the two minute mark. That's it.

But people still hear and start rumors of match combinations that cannot possibly occur in the game's code, hence my reiteration of commonly known facts.

#57 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

View Postkesmai, on 08 December 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Tier?
PSR?
What the fugg are you talking about?
The culprit was, is and ever will be charlie lance doing sub 200 dmg.

Disclaimer:
By no means i intend to discriminate charlie lance. But it always sucks. Except i'm in charlie, then, obviously, alpha sucks.
Peace&amp;out.

Earlier tonight, in a QP match, the entire enemy Charlie Lance disconnected for 3 minutes at the beginning. Obviously we steamrolled their team.

Thanks, Charlie Lance!

#58 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:08 AM

Higher level skills aren't about torso twisting and other best practices, or even about reflexes or marksmanship - these skills are important, and all good players have them (to some degree,) but what really separates the top-level players from the merely good is positioning and tactical cooperation. From your example, the enemy's skill isn't shown by the fact that they waited for you to twist back before firing again; I've been doing that since I was a scrub newbie - it just seemed like common sense. Their skill is shown in that they were positioned such that they could afford to stare at you without your teammates blasting them for not twisting. Now, they might have just been lucky potatoes; I dunno, I wasn't in the match. But based on what you're telling me here, if they really were displaying "pro-ness," that's what it is. Torso twisting is still a good skill, but what you really need to pay attention to is where you're standing in relation to the rest of both teams, and how what they're likely to do based on what you're doing.

(Nothing says you have to twist back if they're holding their fire, by the way. Then the ball's back in their court; they could just shoot at your offered side, or your leg, or - my personal favorite - lightly baste you with a Medium Laser to see if you turn back around. For your part, you can unlock your arms (assuming you have guns there) and shoot them before your torso comes to bear, then twist away before the torso they're trying to kill is exposed - even if your arm weapons aren't done burning. The list goes on; be creative.)

Edited by Void Angel, 08 December 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#59 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:10 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 December 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

Earlier tonight, in a QP match, the entire enemy Charlie Lance disconnected for 3 minutes at the beginning. Obviously we steamrolled their team.

Thanks, Charlie Lance!

Ha! Those evil biddshes!
It is a secret conspirative element with charlie lance. Ever has been.
Maybe it's the illumimechi?

#60 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

I get salty sometimes. I keep saying I should just think on what I could have done better but oh my god, sometimes people are just so clueless / coward / dumb / selfish that makes my blood boil... anyway I apologize for those times when I am salty, besides it's not like being salty helps in the slightest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users