Post Your Favorite Cyclops Builds

67 replies to this topic

#1 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

I've been messing with these since they got released, and I thought I'd post a bunch of the builds I've messed with. If you have a cool build you want me to add to the thread I'll put it in the OP and put your username next to it.

CP-11-A
2xUAC5s =CP-11-A
the machine gun is there to push the UACs higher. If you don't care about that feel free to take 1/2 ton more amo.

Look mom I'm an atlas!=CP-11-A

Edit: Super Splat

CP-10-Z (the original)

CP-10-Z
This is pretty much the only build I've been comfortable with, I messed around, making the engine lighter, using more MPLs, putting LRMS on it even. (you could just do LRMS and AC20...weird setup but it could work out for you) Honestly this is the one I have the most trouble building for, if anyone has some ideas I'd love to see them.

CP-10-Q

SRM boat-CP-10-Q
Obviously you'll want a group of 3 and a group of 4. Not very splat, the launchers are really tight and you get a decently on target shot.

'true survivor'-CP-10-Q
This build is a bit more complex. You'll want to have line of sight for your LRMs (you can take a ton of SRM amo for a tag if you think it's worth it) Weaken enemy mechs with your LRM launcher, then take to the front-line with your SRMs. You also have a nasty surprise for anyone who thinks you're a helpless LRM boat.

Tercial- CP-10-Q
Edit: Added for pure, SRM madness. This build is INSANE. It moves hella fast and demolishes enemies with timed SRM bursts...but it's very fragile, use at your own risk.

SLEPNIR
NRP- SLEIPNIR
Edit: Added because it seems to be what everyone is doing on the thing in FW (if they are using it in FW) Only really good on invasion defense, waaaay too slow for Skirmish phase. In regular matches, it might work out, it's as much dakka as a mauler with higher mounts!

rook came up with this amazing build

Edit: Added some cool builds to this post, but I had to physically build them in Smurfy, if you actually did it differently let me know (I'm absolutely sure I have Tercial's build down unless he did something strange with the armor. I'm not sure where he put his amo either. He did tell me what engine to use though.)

Edited by Starbomber109, 14 January 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

CP-11-A: 2med lasers, 1erll, 3 srm 4s, 2 machine guns, and an lb 10-x with a standard 290 bc im broke. Puts a smile on my face every time I drop in the abomination that I have deemed "Boarus". Hes the only 'clops that I like tbh, the chassis just feels weird to me, got all of the standard pack basicd but literally dont know what they should be used for role wise. And as far as the 10-z the only build ive had any real success in was a simple 4 large lasers in the arms, boring as crud but it works.

#3 Katpocalypse Meow

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

My two favorites are the 10-Q and Sleipnir. For the 10-Q 7 ART-LRM5s, 2 large lasers, and TAG. For the Sleipnir 3 LBX and 4 small pulse lasers.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

10Q, XL395, 6xASRM6, 1xASRM4 (two overlapping fire groups, both include the CT). Awesome.

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

Sleipnir

4 UAC5s

That is all.

#6 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostTercieI, on 25 December 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

(two overlapping fire groups, both include the CT)

Oh, that's interesting. The criticism was, IIRC, targeting the different SRM types but this sounds like a solution.

I’m running it with 7 ASRM4 + 3 MPL. But it's a little hot when it uses all it's weapons in a prolonged brawl.

#7 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostKuaron, on 26 December 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Oh, that's interesting. The criticism was, IIRC, targeting the different SRM types but this sounds like a solution.

I’m running it with 7 ASRM4 + 3 MPL. But it's a little hot when it uses all it's weapons in a prolonged brawl.

I don't even run lasers on my 10-Q, if I did they'd probably be med lasers for anti-uav purposes. The lasers are far less heat efficient than the missiles (so long as you dodge ghost heat....I blew myself up one time by alpha striking.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostKuaron, on 26 December 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

If you run the modules for the 6s, the cycle is fairly close to the 4 and if you know how to stagger you can avoid GH easily (though it can alpha now and again). Home and at PC, this is the exact build I run. It's easily my favorite assault brawler now.

Overlapping fire groups is something I do a lot of, but don't hear others talk about. On 4LPL builds I almost always have 3/3 overlapping as my main groups with 2/2 as additional options. I found that once I started thinking in those terms, I found a lot of use for it.

Edited by TercieI, 29 December 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#9 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

I don't like how hot the builds in OP's post are. I think you are trying to make your mech go too fast with STD engines and sacrificing too much else in the bargain.

Just as an example, your 7SRM4+A Splatclops has all of 30% heat efficiency. If you drop down to a 325 and ~7kph, you will gain 6SRM6+A and 50% cooling efficiency.

Or you could XL390 and go all out, 40SRMs.

Just my 2 cents.

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostStarbomber109, on 29 December 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

I don't even run lasers on my 10-Q, if I did they'd probably be med lasers for anti-uav purposes. The lasers are far less heat efficient than the missiles (so long as you dodge ghost heat....I blew myself up one time by alpha striking.

Yeah, lesson imported from Atlas building: The main thing lasers bring is heat troubles.

#11 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostTercieI, on 29 December 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Overlapping fire groups is something I do a lot of, but don't hear others talk about. On 4LPL builds I almost always have 3/3 overlapping as my main groups with 2/2 as additional options. I found that once I started thinking in those terms, I found a lot of use for it.

This is something Taro points out all the time. The overlap in his case, is generally the same (to abuse the GH limit) or right side/left side groups with head/CT lasers overlapping.

Nice to see there are others that preach it. :D

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 29 December 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

I don't like how hot the builds in OP's post are. I think you are trying to make your mech go too fast with STD engines and sacrificing too much else in the bargain.

Just as an example, your 7SRM4+A Splatclops has all of 30% heat efficiency. If you drop down to a 325 and ~7kph, you will gain 6SRM6+A and 50% cooling efficiency.

Or you could XL390 and go all out, 40SRMs.

Just my 2 cents.

CP rolls damage really well. Even with a brawler, no question-XL for me. The extra agility actually adds survivability rather than decreasing it IME.

View PostKeshav Murali, on 29 December 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

This is something Taro points out all the time. The overlap in his case, is generally the same (to abuse the GH limit) or right side/left side groups with head/CT lasers overlapping.

Nice to see there are others that preach it. Posted Image

Embarrassing company (for both of us) though. ;)

#13 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

Some criticism and suggestions.

CP-11-A
Your first build
It's not bad but dropping a bit of speed will help your heat a lot.

Your second build
Again, this is hot. Dropping down to a more efficient engine might be to your taste

Your third build
I'm not sure you noticed, but you gave 2LBX10s all of 15 shots each. Fix

CP-10-Z

Your build
Dropping down to a 350 would get you some much needed AC20 ammunition.

Honestly, I have no idea what you would do with this thing either. If you're up for something weird, here's a build that looks like what Navid would run

Or something brawly?

CP-10-Q
Terciel's build is the flat out best. If you're worried about fragility, here's a STD engine version

Drop DHS and add ammo to your tastes.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 29 December 2016 - 08:20 AM.

#14 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

I`m a fluff player so I try to optimize my builds without changing too much of the original.

So here goes for the CP-10-Z
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...988b9d57abe906c

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

I did something like this. You can also drop a ML for a DHS (think GMan had this as his suggested build), but I found I was corner peeking without the MLs a lot and it was cool enough in that situation that I liked the extra alpha when I could have it. Believe it or not, one of my best-performing Cyclopes (right behind the Smash 10-Q).

#16 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostTercieI, on 29 December 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

I did something like this. You can also drop a ML for a DHS (think GMan had this as his suggested build), but I found I was corner peeking without the MLs a lot and it was cool enough in that situation that I liked the extra alpha when I could have it. Believe it or not, one of my best-performing Cyclopes (right behind the Smash 10-Q).

Interestingly, I tried both those builds with a slow, lumbering STD engine on a BNC-3S. Hits like a truck. Spacewhale equivalent for IS. The drawback in my case was the speed and agility, in yours its the XL engine. The duration made it worth it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...efada8bb41bcbed

I settled on this later: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3418ae7bd56aa54 (old suggestion on Metamechs) because it gives you a little better speed.

I don't like how I have to strip the manliest mech's limbs to get this result.

Still, an interesting build type that is mostly explored on the Clan side, but practically unheard of on the IS side.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 29 December 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

Interestingly, I tried both those builds with a slow, lumbering STD engine on a BNC-3S. Hits like a truck. Spacewhale equivalent for IS. The drawback in my case was the speed and agility, in yours its the XL engine. The duration made it worth it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...efada8bb41bcbed

I settled on this later: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3418ae7bd56aa54 (old suggestion on Metamechs) because it gives you a little better speed.

I don't like how I have to strip the manliest mech's limbs to get this result.

Still, an interesting build type that is mostly explored on the Clan side, but practically unheard of on the IS side.

Yeah, I don't love IS Gauss vomit because of how the ranges (don't) synch up. Just oddly worked here. The extra speed allows you to control ranges a bit more.

I don't think I could stand a 300 on a BNC. The 325 on the HGN give me hives... My BNC-3S was an AC/20 and 7MPL. It could only alpha twice, but at the time, nothing could take it twice.

Edited by TercieI, 29 December 2016 - 09:32 PM.

#18 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

I'm just used to a 300 since I had a PPC/AC5 BNC-3E for a long time. It's definitely hardmode compared to a 70 kph BNC-3M.

There's a reason I mentioned these things are kinda like a Spacewhale for the IS. The power to just blow away components by blinking at them, but slow as ****. Or in the Cyclops's case, XL.

#19 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

I have created what some might consider to be unnatural... But it is an unusual build for an unusual mech. More or less its a CP-11-A with an xl360 2 lpls in the right arm, 2 AC5s and 3 LRM5s.

Thing is I've had a ton of success with this build, and it has to do with the AC5s and lpls being grouped so close. It is strange at first firing them, along with the grouping however it is a great midrange sniper and does really solid dmg if you remain as fire support til the end, using the AC5s and LRMS. I want to make a build similar running with a decent loadout of SRMs opposed to LRMS, but it would require dropping the engine size. The LRMs are nice to attack mechs who you aren't necessarily directly engaging.

As well this build you can only really replicate on the CP-A due to the fact there are multiple energy hardpoints in the right arm. This allows you to drop armor in the left arm which gives you more options with the weight in the build. I would like to see a take on this with SRMs, but believe you me other than the obvious Sleipnir builds this is a real man about town. Savvy? You guys are right though as much fun as the Cyclops is if it had its hardpoints switched around just a little, or a like one more slot here or there it would be an amazing mech, other than just a solid mech.

Edited by ShootterMcGavin, 29 December 2016 - 11:34 PM.

#20 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

if you know how to stagger you can avoid GH easily

What are you talking about?

Overlapping fire groups is something I do a lot of, but don't hear others talk about. On 4LPL builds I almost always have 3/3 overlapping as my main groups

What does that accomplish compared to 2+2? Or 3+1?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users