Lrms Are So Op! They Destroy My Mech, My Ability To Take Cover, And Basic Military Logic Of Not Fighting Out In The Open Where Everyone Has Los!

297 replies to this topic

#101 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostGalenit, on 25 December 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Dont know what game do you play?

There are counters, even more then for every other weapon, there is even a hardcounter against them:
Hardcounter - ECM
Damagemitigating - AMS
Crutch - Radar-Derp-Module

To bad there is no ams in the metamechs on the metamech-page where all the tryhards parrot builds.
Dont go out without it. if you dont know how to deal with lrms.
No AMS, no whine. Posted Image

Seems we need a real lrm-armageddon again?
If you survived the last one, you dont even need the crutch.

How many ams are in your team in each wave,
if can choose your dropdeck for this map,
where you know that there will be lots of lrms?

Should i guess? Less then 4 for each wave ....

Ever tried to build a wave with 12 or more ams with overload and just rush the boats with your moving umbrella?

Eh, it's also funny how he cries "no counter" in QP...when it also means, no spotters, because neither "team" tends to help each other. To successful LRM anythign but Potatoes means doing your own dirty work, as your team mates will hold locks just long enough to waste over half your ammo.

Also..."literally anti-fun guns" means: You don't the game the way I WANT IT TO BE PLAYED!!!!

To which I say? Tough.

#102 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

My personal annoyance with poptarting is that it's usually clan mechs who also have ECM. There are far too many JJ+ECM+high mount mechs on the clan side, if there were as many on he IS side you'd soon hear some freakin' bitchin' from the canners

Edited by Dogstar, 25 December 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#103 Galenit

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 December 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

Is your idea of a fun game just sitting around for the first 4-5 minutes of every match waiting for LRM and Streakboats to die or get preoccuppied with somebody else? Or would you rather get in on some action, harass some flanks, and have fun utilising your speed and mobility? Because the former is what LRMs do to this game. It's not unlike what artillery does in World of Tanks - instead of flushing you out of camping spots, it forces you to hide away in camping spots so you don't get nuked while trying to move from cover to cover. Try to flank even one single mech? As soon as his presses R, you have to play like a coward because know he has the support of two or more allies toting noobtubes.

I have fun with flanking und using my speed and mobility,
makes using lrms even more fun and rewarding if you can get them at their camping spots.

#104 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Against lrms you still have a chance, maybe get damaged, but still alive ...
Against heavy PPFLD you are legged or dead as a light or viper with one shot.
Thats why i play my lights not so often ...

I can't say I share Tarogato's enthusiasm for anti-LRM play, but I was just noting the similarities that both have on moving across open terrain for any longer than a second or two. I do find it irritating that lock-on weapons are so effective against Lights, but I direct my energy toward streaks more than LRMs.

I play my Lights every play-session, too. The reason I don't do back assassinations any more is because the payoff is higher if you wait for the engagement to begin in earnest, first.

#105 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

When I need cbills and don't feel like trying, I take an LRM boat out to fight with.

When I feel like I want to derp around and have fun, I take ballistics.

When I feel the need to be an MLG try hard and be pin point accurate all the time, I take laser vomit.

Lasers are the most difficult weapons in MWO to use effectively, in my now 4-5 months worth of experience as they require not only the ability to aim, but the ability to stay on a pin point spot on a moving target over a period of time. If you can, they are the most deadly weapon in the game by a mile.

Ballistics are relatively easy to use unless you have no intuitive ability to throw an object on a ballistic trajectory and reliably hit things accurate. I'm not sure how many people have issues with this, but they seem relatively forgiving to me. I'd consider PPCs to basically be a ballistic weapon in playstyle, and almost as enjoyable to use.

With LRMs, even if I play them properly and stay on the front line, all my skill comes from positioning, patience, and timing. There's no real muscle memory or physical talent involved, as long as your grey matter is functioning, they will be effective.

#106 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

There are counters, even more then for every other weapon, there is even a hardcounter against them:
Hardcounter - ECM
Damagemitigating - AMS
Crutch - Radar-Derp-Module

To bad there is no ams in the metamechs on the metamech-page where all the tryhards parrot builds.
Dont go out without it. if you dont know how to deal with lrms.
No AMS, no whine. Posted Image

ECM does not save you from UAVs.

Radar Derp goes on all my non-ECM mechs.

AMS wastes tonnage that you could have spent toward equipment that actually helps you kills enemies more effectively and one alone (which is all that most mechs have hardpoints for) doesn't even kill enough LRMs alone to save you. It needs to be mounted in a trio with overload module to be truly effective, and no light mechs can reasonable afford that to waste that much tonnage if they want to compete against heavier mechs. Plus, the vast majority of matches you won't encounter any issues with LRMs. It's only that one-in-six or so match that there are enough LRMs amassed for it to actually be a problem, and when there is that many, there is really no counter for it other than team organisation (which again... doesn't happen in solo queue.), so you just have to sit around and twiddle your thumbs all match waiting for somebody else with proper range to kill the LRMer's before you can actually get on with with light mech things like flanking, harassing, and brawling.

If LRMs had a more direct-fire focus, and less arch, like they did in previous Mechwarrior games, this wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Tarogato, 25 December 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#107 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostTarogato, on 25 December 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

If LRMs had a more direct-fire focus, and less arch, like they did in previous Mechwarrior games, this wouldn't be a problem.

Tag and artemis already give great bonuses. The trouble is that the spamlords are too timid or stupid to use it. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to convince people that artemis only gives it's spread bonus with LOS.

#108 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 December 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

yup.

Don't forget it also took David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Glenn Frey, Prince, Mohammad Ali, Anton Yelchin, Arnold Palmer, Gene Wilder, Ron Glass, John Glenn, and a whole lot more not famous people, too. Along with trying to take my mom earlier this year.

2016 just effing sucked.

and apparently we can add George Michael to the list. Never really a fan, but it's undeniable he was iconic in the mid 80s thru mid 90s. Geez.... is anyone getting out of 2016 alive?

#109 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 December 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

and apparently we can add George Michael to the list. Never really a fan, but it's undeniable he was iconic in the mid 80s thru mid 90s. Geez.... is anyone getting out of 2016 alive?

I don't even know who he is, but going on Christmas day? Can we all agree to burn all records of 2016 ever happening?

Edited by RestosIII, 25 December 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#110 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 December 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

I don't even know who he is, but going on Christmas day? Can we all agree to burn all records of 2016 ever happening?

probably his most famous solo track....

Early to mid 80s he was part of the pop duo Wham, also.

And yeah..... the smattering of good things this year (new Bowie album (which turned out to be his obituary), Opeth, Metallica... and what... Rogue One? I mean outside of a smattering of cheap entertainment, can't think of any positives this year) don't come near outweighing the bad.

I mean no Spanish Flu, World War, Spanish Inquisition, etc... and yet somehow this year just has had a all pervasive pallor hanging over it, regardless.

Did ANYONE have a good 2016? If so, can you let the rest of us know how it felt?

#111 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 December 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

probably his most famous solo track....

Early to mid 80s he was part of the pop duo Wham, also.

And yeah..... the smattering of good things this year (new Bowie album (which turned out to be his obituary), Opeth, Metallica... and what... Rogue One? I mean outside of a smattering of cheap entertainment, can't think of any positives this year) don't come near outweighing the bad.

I mean no Spanish Flu, World War, Spanish Inquisition, etc... and yet somehow this year just has had a all pervasive pallor hanging over it, regardless.

Did ANYONE have a good 2016? If so, can you let the rest of us know how it felt?

FYI, oddly enough that version of the video is blocked in the US. No idea why. Listening to it from this version.

And great, now I'm even sadder just because I actually like it.

Only people I can claim had a "great" 2016 is a couple I heard about in the news that had the first child to have the DNA of 3 people in it, since they did a new surgery to keep it from having a genetic disorder that had killed the couple's previous children within a year. So, I guess they're happy since they finally had a child. Other than that... Posted Image

Let's just cross our fingers for 2017 to at least be, at worst, 2016 levels of bad.

#112 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 December 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

FYI, oddly enough that version of the video is blocked in the US. No idea why. Listening to it from this version.

And great, now I'm even sadder just because I actually like it.

Huh.... weird..

Well, I live in Mexico, so I guess different region, different access.

#113 FuhNuGi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMendocino California

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 December 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

LRMs are clearly inferior to AC/2s

Nerf AC/2s.
The call has been made.

#114 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

Not George Michael too

no

Just

NO

#115 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

I don't think there are that many that really believe lurms are op. What is ridiculous is polar or sometimes grim when one team has six of em and a narcing Raven. That shoud never happen. They are also a detriment to a team if you are saddled with a bunch of them. There are decent lrm pilots out there who can use them quite effectively. There are however more button mashers sitting in the back screaming for locks than there the decent guys.

Since the recent buff there seems to be more non-pilots using them. Then there are those who insist on bringing them to FW....

#116 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 December 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

pity when it was proposed, all the compies cried about it being a terribad idea.

wow...so LRMs are actually...kind of good, on one map. whereas PPFLD is it's same brokeazz nonsense on every map?

and instagib alphas, are fun to play against?

Moreso than LRMs yes

#117 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 24 December 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Meh, whatever.

At Tier 1, my C-bill printing machine for my IS account is still my AWS-8R with 4xLRM15+Artemis. You guys can talk about how useless LRMs are until cows come home to a frozen hell riding flying pigs. Doesn't change the fact that I'm wrecking face with my LRM boat. Not only damage done, not only KDR, but also WLR.

Yeah, that Blackjack made poor tactical decision. But you know we're all playing in the same little pond, I encounter all of you pretty regularly, and I'm still making bank with my LRM boat when I need some C-bills or if there's some kind of grind-based weekend challenge I need to complete.

I'm not saying that LRMs are good against elite players or coordinated groups. But any pug at any tier is liable to get smashed by LRMs. I see it all the time. If they weren't so effective, pugs wouldn't constantly bring them to every match. It's not like there's 4-6 players in every match failing miserably at LRMs and scratching their head about why they're never winning the game.

I always bring up my ridiculous AWS-8R whenever people say that LRMs are useless... cause i can carry an entire team of PUGs with that mech when they would break the back of any other mech i brought. the ability to delete enemies should never be underestimated. You know that BJ pilot was bad cause not only did he die to LRMs, he died to Clan LRMs which is the biggest mark of shame possible.

#118 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 26 December 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

I always bring up my ridiculous AWS-8R whenever people say that LRMs are useless... cause i can carry an entire team of PUGs with that mech when they would break the back of any other mech i brought. the ability to delete enemies should never be underestimated. You know that BJ pilot was bad cause not only did he die to LRMs, he died to Clan LRMs which is the biggest mark of shame possible.

Geeee, I wonder why that is? Oh, right, insane quirks that prop it up to be a less terrible weapon system.

#119 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:21 PM

UBERSHOOTZ is not a bad pilot, he just made a mistake, like we all do from time to time.

#120 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 December 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

UBERSHOOTZ is not a bad pilot, he just made a mistake, like we all do from time to time.

It was only an example.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users