Lrms Are So Op! They Destroy My Mech, My Ability To Take Cover, And Basic Military Logic Of Not Fighting Out In The Open Where Everyone Has Los!

297 replies to this topic

#281 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 December 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Subnautica

I keep wanting to get that game, but then my phobia of water I can't see the bottom of kicks in and I realize it'd be a horror game for me. Worst mistake of my life was walking in on my brother playing the game when he had reached the map border. Took me 20 minutes to recover.

#282 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostMacClearly, on 30 December 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

Well you would lose that bet.

screenshot please

"why? i am playing the role of the player in Battletech"

No you are actually playing a first person shooter with big stompy robots that are based on Battletech and previous Mechwarrior games. What you have been asking for does sound very appealing though. However that is not what is going on.

You better HOPE someone is being the Player from a game of Battletech on your team!!!!! Cause if you dont have one and the enemy does... you are F*CKED!!!!! As demonstrated by Groups smashing PUGs... cause the have a dropcaller(ie Player) & pieces that do what they are told to do. If all you are capable of doing is playing the FPS component of the game, that is fine... but do not lie to yourself or anyone else by saying that is ALL there is to this game. It is still a Strategic Tabletop Game... it just happens to be a multi-player cooperation STG not a single player STG.

The other issue here was you were not in command. Remember in that drop you and I went left trench and were focused down quickly being the first two mechs in. This path is often taken in either by split or whole team especially playing IS when Clan mechs are at Echo 2, Delta 2 and using their range advantage. Despite your beliefs that Beta gate is the wrong choice, Alpha is generally not taken unless your team has appropriate ranged weapons because of the defenders having superior overwatch at Fox 3, and Fox 4 corners. Now while I agree with you that a bigger minimap would be good, we disagree why. Knowing positions of the enemy is important to shoot them or win trades favourably, but that is all. This despite your role playing, is in actual function a FPS. In invasion, the way to win is very simple. Kill all of the enemy and then destroy the objectives uncontested. Another option is to destroy the objectives while under fire from the enemy. While there are variantions and combinations of these two strategies, that is the focus and that is what will bring a player to the victory screen.

I never said i was in command... I would be embarrassed if I had been and would hoped I could blame the other players for not doing what they were told, cause I hate when I have to add another failure to my record. 4 bad calls in the +2000 games over the past 5 months is already more than I like and adding number 5 is something I strive to prevent. But there were no clear Movement Orders that I heard given over VOIP, maybe you guys were coordinating over TS... irrelevant to me and the other PUGs that were with you. I just followed along and did not realize that the team was going to scatter like skittle PUGs at their worst... I thought we were pushing the inside track & stayed in the front since I was in an Assault.

as far as the "superior overwatch" it is a fairly short distance to push across in mass and then you have a much stronger backfield position from Alpha... its called trading Armor for Position, and easily accomplished by any Group who can work together semi-intelligently especially since it is a move I can get PUGs to pull it off regularly and I only use the simplest commands and maneuvers possible with them.

"again... very untrue. i want others to play the game that is directly in front of them, i want them to be good pieces! Good pieces that move around the board where i tell them & remove the enemy pieces from the board. I am even more super excited when i find someone who is worth being a piece for because they know what they are saying... its way simpler to just be a piece and focus exclusively on being the best piece i can be, instead of having to watch all the other pieces and track everything, and call all the targets, and anticipate the enemy, and... and... and... and...'

This does not address my comment which was that you are unteachable and unabashedly so... The biggest part of what is wrong with the above statement is that you were not in command. This also runs around that underlying issue which you refuse to accept is that you were in error to reinforce. To your credit however you did so only with your second mech. While I get that you won't admit that, I again assert that what you said over comms was heard not only by me as to why you decided to reinforce first wave. Also think that it is a mistake for you to decide when all hope of victory is lost especially since you do not actually seem aware of the guys you were playing with and their capabilities. However I think that if anything this may be the one area next time you might consider.

To say that I am unteachable is patently false... what you mean is that I have no desire to learn from you, I have very clearly and abundantly destroyed your original point about my behavior in that match while also clearly and abundantly decimated every other point you have tried to make til you are backpedaling nonsense at me. So NO, I do not have any desire to learn a single thing from someone who not only thinks this is a FPS but someone who would not be worth the time to play BT with.

"How frustrating do you think it is to have to play this game with people who have to be earnestly resisting learning what i learned in the first week of playing 22 years ago when i was 12???"

Well, I don't know what you learned when you were twelve but it is not clear to me what you think people are resistant to learning. What I can tell you as someone who has played a great deal of FW over the last 10 months is that none of the veterens of FW or better players are going to listen to someone who doesn't respect the drop caller and his calls, and reinforces instead of grouping up at designated rally. It is something that will piss people off. Kinda think you won't care but maybe if a new player reads any of this they will learn.

the fact you do not know what I learned when I was 12 is why you have absolutely nothing of substantive value to teach me. I fought the entire 3039 war using multiple RCTs against Forward ARCs when i was 14 with my best friend over the course of the whole summer... I was playing in double blind battles using Regiment level forces that took days to fight, but somehow Company level (which is strictly Tactical and has no Strategic element) is somehow beyond me??? I respected the dropcaller until he had utterly failed at his job and/or the pieces did not obey his commands (I know i did not hear a single Movement Order once we had breached the gate) that resulted in the decimation of the 1st Wave and the Loss of the Match at that point... so I no longer respected anything he had to say, and I did what I wanted to from that point on. I wanted to run my LPL Thunderbolt forward and grab kills... so I did, then i wanted to stay with the second and third wave which i did as well. But if you think my actions of running a single mech forward one time in any way directly resulted in or was responsible for the Loss than you sir need to start sharing whatever drugs you are on cause they have to be amazing!

"How do you think it made me feel to watch a team that was so good they made it to World Championship do the worst possible opening move for the map & side they spawned on and about the 4th worst opening possible of map/side/mode in the game..."

The issue I have with this statement is that you have not shown any capacity to succeed in the game as it is right now, and do things that are detrimental to a teams success. Why on earth would anyone follow what you think is right or wrong? Especially if you are the kind of player who when things don't appear to be going the way they think they should be going does things that are going to aggreviate other players???? This thinking doesn't make sense to me if you want to be a leader in this game.

you can have any issue you want because you fail to understand what I am saying... that is on you not me. On Mining running Charlie Lance from the C2 spawn point up through C3 towards C4 is hands down the absolute worst opening move possible on that map, and like 4th worst opening move possible on any map in any mode. You are intentionally splitting the team apart on purpose and against any enemy team that is not the absolute worst team of PUGs that the matchmaker has ever put together (and even they probably would not have screwed it up) then Charlie Lance is doomed to be focused down by the enemy cause they can not be supported by Alpha & Bravo Lance. There is no where to cross until you get all the way up to where the end of the tunnel is, the other side spawn point has that passage behind that silo. so the opposing team can cross over without have to be out in the open under fire, then push straight down the outside edge out of firing lanes from Alpha & Bravo Lance to destroy Charlie Lance quickly and for a substantially favorable trading advantage. They did that... TWICE!!!
Posted Image

Back to your original nonsensical point... THE GAME WAS LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was absolutely nothing that could have been added to that match to achieve success (besides a cheat code that gave us another 12 Mechs)... that is the difference between me and you, I have played this game on a scope you clearly can not even comprehend. I was fighting RCTs against Forward ARCs across multiple worlds with key Strategic Worlds that I needed to capture to advance as well as protect my supply lines from easy attack... and I did not get to instantly replace any Lost Units beyond Salvage I took from the field of Battle and set supply lines. As a result I learn to recognize when the Battle was lost very early, long before CGL (Combat Group Loss) takes place because retreating and spending some Units to act as a rearguard was better than losing everyone and the entire invasion force I had there. I could continue to contest the world and try to take it at a later date, after i got reinforcements or a more favorable field position.

Now... all of that has absolutely no real bearing in MWO because we fight every battle like it is for Hesperus II or Sian, to the complete bitter end. But it still does not invalidate the knowledge I have even if that knowledge has no practical application in this game, so you continuing to whinge about what happened in a game that was undeniably Lost while we were in the process of being Farmed cause they did not even bother to push out and Spawn Camp like they could have by the 3rd Wave is sad & pathetic. I also do not care about what people who are ignorant of reality think, so if other players did not know that the Match was undeniably Lost... that is on them, they could learn and relieve their ignorance. That way they would not be wasting energy believing they can win, but can start analyzing how they failed... try some different things on the subsequent Waves because since the Match is already Lost but they have to play it out to the bitter end regardless, that time could be spent doing something Valuable instead of wasting time trying to Win a game that could not be won.

Edit: I realized that Mic Drop needed to be added to that description of what I was pointing out, that you seemed to take such great offense for me doing so... then i realized that you did not understand what I was referencing, so i had to explain it for you.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 31 December 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#283 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 31 December 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

I keep wanting to get that game, but then my phobia of water I can't see the bottom of kicks in and I realize it'd be a horror game for me. Worst mistake of my life was walking in on my brother playing the game when he had reached the map border. Took me 20 minutes to recover.

I had a big ******* shark swim in a half circle around me in the Gulf of Mexico when I was a kid. He was clearly very curious. I can not express enough how much that scared the holy living **** out of me.

Subnautica still freaks me out sometimes but it's a phenomenal game. You start out in the shallows and by the time you're dealing with the deep water you'll be more comfortable.

Best way to deal with a phobia, small, controlled exposure. Take a look at Stranded Deep. I play it sometimes too. Being on a rickety wooden raft in the deep ocean with a shark bumping it trying to knock you off.... yeah. That one gets me in cold sweats sometimes.

Subnautica however is IMO one of the best, most fun, unusual and creative survival crafting games since Minecraft.

#284 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 December 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

I had a big ******* shark swim in a half circle around me in the Gulf of Mexico when I was a kid. He was clearly very curious. I can not express enough how much that scared the holy living **** out of me.

Subnautica still freaks me out sometimes but it's a phenomenal game. You start out in the shallows and by the time you're dealing with the deep water you'll be more comfortable.

Best way to deal with a phobia, small, controlled exposure. Take a look at Stranded Deep. I play it sometimes too. Being on a rickety wooden raft in the deep ocean with a shark bumping it trying to knock you off.... yeah. That one gets me in cold sweats sometimes.

Subnautica however is IMO one of the best, most fun, unusual and creative survival crafting games since Minecraft.

I tried to watch my brother play the game when he was in normal water, and I kept just going "Wow, that's beautiful. I really want to play it." But then he'd just go to the kelp-filled areas and my mind would instantly switch back to the "Nope!" department. It really sucks since I love the ocean and the animals in it, but if I were to be forced to go into deep water, only way you could get me to touch the water without screaming is if I had a gun in one hand, and the other hand on a boat. Anyways, I'll stop talking now so I'm less of a hypocrite with my next sentence.

Seriously guys, can you just switch to PM's for the argument about who is better at the game? I keep coming to this thread expecting someone talking about LRMs as a weapon system, not an entire essay on how someone is a good drop caller compared to someone else, while vaguely referencing fights that someone screwed up in, or didn't screw up in.

#285 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 31 December 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

I tried to watch my brother play the game when he was in normal water, and I kept just going "Wow, that's beautiful. I really want to play it." But then he'd just go to the kelp-filled areas and my mind would instantly switch back to the "Nope!" department. It really sucks since I love the ocean and the animals in it, but if I were to be forced to go into deep water, only way you could get me to touch the water without screaming is if I had a gun in one hand, and the other hand on a boat. Anyways, I'll stop talking now so I'm less of a hypocrite with my next sentence.

Seriously guys, can you just switch to PM's for the argument about who is better at the game? I keep coming to this thread expecting someone talking about LRMs as a weapon system, not an entire essay on how someone is a good drop caller compared to someone else, while vaguely referencing fights that someone screwed up in, or didn't screw up in.

Here's the thing. The people who are the best at consistently winning have said the same thing repeatedly. LRMs are bad and teach you to play poorly. This gets disputed by people who do not and can not win at the game as consistently. There's no argument there - it's people who've demonstrated success and a command of the topic vs people who've demonstrated a lack of success and a lack of command of the topic.

All the excuses and justifications and such are irrelevant and can be (should be) ignored.

The absolute best recommendation for LRMs I can give you is this -

Play with Gauss + ERPPCSs. Play at 600-800m. Learn how to position to shoot people who are are not looking for you without getting away from the group. Learn how to be accurate quickly by shooting at people teammates have targeted before you crest to shoot. Learn to trade - how to shoot and get away before you've taken more damage than you've done.

When you can do this with a 1.3 w/l and a 1.5 KDR or better THEN learn to do the same thing with LRMs, but with the addition of indirect fire at times. All the actually good LRM players play very similarly, they understand the positioning and how to safely get their own locks, how to stay with the team while not being the center of attention and how to trade.

Otherwise you'll learn to just avoid getting seen, nothing about trading or real useful positioning.

That's the best thing a thread like this can teach you. Learn to position, trade, poke, manage range and situational awareness of your team to support you until you're good at it, then apply those skills and habits with LRMs.

#286 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

so... guessing scuba is out?

#287 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 December 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

so... guessing scuba is out?

I'd be one of those people that would likely drown themselves because of panicking, and manage to take someone else with me. So, yeah, scuba's out. :P

#288 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 December 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

what happens when I spot a shark....
https://www.facebook...62955240411274/

#289 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 December 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

what happens when I spot a shark....
https://www.facebook...62955240411274/

Posted Image

Sharks are the best. Well, behind the water sausages of the sea known as seals. (Sea lions can stuff it.)

Uh, right. Should probably mention something actually relating to the thread. Come on, got to think of something... Oh, right! I really want the ability to manually aim LRMs with (your own) TAG lasers. I'd prefer a complete LRM system rework, but being able to manually guide your own LRMs would help a good deal with direct fire situations, especially if it worked on already-fired LRMs.

#290 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 December 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

Here's the thing. The people who are the best at consistently winning have said the same thing repeatedly. LRMs are bad and teach you to play poorly. This gets disputed by people who do not and can not win at the game as consistently. There's no argument there - it's people who've demonstrated success and a command of the topic vs people who've demonstrated a lack of success and a lack of command of the topic.

All the excuses and justifications and such are irrelevant and can be (should be) ignored.

The absolute best recommendation for LRMs I can give you is this -

Play with Gauss + ERPPCSs. Play at 600-800m. Learn how to position to shoot people who are are not looking for you without getting away from the group. Learn how to be accurate quickly by shooting at people teammates have targeted before you crest to shoot. Learn to trade - how to shoot and get away before you've taken more damage than you've done.

When you can do this with a 1.3 w/l and a 1.5 KDR or better THEN learn to do the same thing with LRMs, but with the addition of indirect fire at times. All the actually good LRM players play very similarly, they understand the positioning and how to safely get their own locks, how to stay with the team while not being the center of attention and how to trade.

Otherwise you'll learn to just avoid getting seen, nothing about trading or real useful positioning.

That's the best thing a thread like this can teach you. Learn to position, trade, poke, manage range and situational awareness of your team to support you until you're good at it, then apply those skills and habits with LRMs.

This was actually the most insightful and well articulated post ever in one of these kinds of threads... good job sir

#291 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 31 December 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

screenshot please

You better HOPE someone is being the Player from a game of Battletech on your team!!!!! Cause if you dont have one and the enemy does... you are F*CKED!!!!! As demonstrated by Groups smashing PUGs... cause the have a dropcaller(ie Player) & pieces that do what they are told to do. If all you are capable of doing is playing the FPS component of the game, that is fine... but do not lie to yourself or anyone else by saying that is ALL there is to this game. It is still a Strategic Tabletop Game... it just happens to be a multi-player cooperation STG not a single player STG.

I never said i was in command... I would be embarrassed if I had been and would hoped I could blame the other players for not doing what they were told, cause I hate when I have to add another failure to my record. 4 bad calls in the +2000 games over the past 5 months is already more than I like and adding number 5 is something I strive to prevent. But there were no clear Movement Orders that I heard given over VOIP, maybe you guys were coordinating over TS... irrelevant to me and the other PUGs that were with you. I just followed along and did not realize that the team was going to scatter like skittle PUGs at their worst... I thought we were pushing the inside track & stayed in the front since I was in an Assault.

as far as the "superior overwatch" it is a fairly short distance to push across in mass and then you have a much stronger backfield position from Alpha... its called trading Armor for Position, and easily accomplished by any Group who can work together semi-intelligently especially since it is a move I can get PUGs to pull it off regularly and I only use the simplest commands and maneuvers possible with them.

To say that I am unteachable is patently false... what you mean is that I have no desire to learn from you, I have very clearly and abundantly destroyed your original point about my behavior in that match while also clearly and abundantly decimated every other point you have tried to make til you are backpedaling nonsense at me. So NO, I do not have any desire to learn a single thing from someone who not only thinks this is a FPS but someone who would not be worth the time to play BT with.

the fact you do not know what I learned when I was 12 is why you have absolutely nothing of substantive value to teach me. I fought the entire 3039 war using multiple RCTs against Forward ARCs when i was 14 with my best friend over the course of the whole summer... I was playing in double blind battles using Regiment level forces that took days to fight, but somehow Company level (which is strictly Tactical and has no Strategic element) is somehow beyond me??? I respected the dropcaller until he had utterly failed at his job and/or the pieces did not obey his commands (I know i did not hear a single Movement Order once we had breached the gate) that resulted in the decimation of the 1st Wave and the Loss of the Match at that point... so I no longer respected anything he had to say, and I did what I wanted to from that point on. I wanted to run my LPL Thunderbolt forward and grab kills... so I did, then i wanted to stay with the second and third wave which i did as well. But if you think my actions of running a single mech forward one time in any way directly resulted in or was responsible for the Loss than you sir need to start sharing whatever drugs you are on cause they have to be amazing!

you can have any issue you want because you fail to understand what I am saying... that is on you not me. On Mining running Charlie Lance from the C2 spawn point up through C3 towards C4 is hands down the absolute worst opening move possible on that map, and like 4th worst opening move possible on any map in any mode. You are intentionally splitting the team apart on purpose and against any enemy team that is not the absolute worst team of PUGs that the matchmaker has ever put together (and even they probably would not have screwed it up) then Charlie Lance is doomed to be focused down by the enemy cause they can not be supported by Alpha & Bravo Lance. There is no where to cross until you get all the way up to where the end of the tunnel is, the other side spawn point has that passage behind that silo. so the opposing team can cross over without have to be out in the open under fire, then push straight down the outside edge out of firing lanes from Alpha & Bravo Lance to destroy Charlie Lance quickly and for a substantially favorable trading advantage. They did that... TWICE!!!
Posted Image

Back to your original nonsensical point... THE GAME WAS LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was absolutely nothing that could have been added to that match to achieve success (besides a cheat code that gave us another 12 Mechs)... that is the difference between me and you, I have played this game on a scope you clearly can not even comprehend. I was fighting RCTs against Forward ARCs across multiple worlds with key Strategic Worlds that I needed to capture to advance as well as protect my supply lines from easy attack... and I did not get to instantly replace any Lost Units beyond Salvage I took from the field of Battle and set supply lines. As a result I learn to recognize when the Battle was lost very early, long before CGL (Combat Group Loss) takes place because retreating and spending some Units to act as a rearguard was better than losing everyone and the entire invasion force I had there. I could continue to contest the world and try to take it at a later date, after i got reinforcements or a more favorable field position.

Now... all of that has absolutely no real bearing in MWO because we fight every battle like it is for Hesperus II or Sian, to the complete bitter end. But it still does not invalidate the knowledge I have even if that knowledge has no practical application in this game, so you continuing to whinge about what happened in a game that was undeniably Lost while we were in the process of being Farmed cause they did not even bother to push out and Spawn Camp like they could have by the 3rd Wave is sad & pathetic. I also do not care about what people who are ignorant of reality think, so if other players did not know that the Match was undeniably Lost... that is on them, they could learn and relieve their ignorance. That way they would not be wasting energy believing they can win, but can start analyzing how they failed... try some different things on the subsequent Waves because since the Match is already Lost but they have to play it out to the bitter end regardless, that time could be spent doing something Valuable instead of wasting time trying to Win a game that could not be won.

Edit: I realized that Mic Drop needed to be added to that description of what I was pointing out, that you seemed to take such great offense for me doing so... then i realized that you did not understand what I was referencing, so i had to explain it for you.

That was quite possibly one of the funniest things I have ever read.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to drop with you againI certainly will take a screenshot of the score for you.

I appreciate you don't feel you can learn from me. Not my goal. My goal was to point out your foolishness. Could not have forseen to be so spectacularly successful in being able to do so. Will break it down in points so it is easier.

1. Your assertion that while attacking Hellbore springs, going Beta gate is the worst possible move is patently absurd and no one who knows the map or how to play invasion is going to agree with your assessment.

2. No, this is not a table top strategy game. You don't roll any dice and so far you have been completely unable to show where the strategy used to play table top has any impact or lends any significant knowledge to someone playing MWO.

3. Saying that you have called over 2000 matches and have only 4 mistakes is silly and certainly not supported by the statistics available in this game. Certainly you can say things as ridiculous as this, but unfortunately for you, no one with any sense in his head is going to take someone seriously who does.

4. Your ranting on and on about RCT's and Foward Arc's are irrelevent to Invasion mode on Hellbore to which this converstaion has always been about.

5. You reinforced. As you were doing so, the drop caller repeatedly called out for you to stop. I told you to stop. Your answer was your first mech didn't do enough damage.... So of all your talk of strategic brilliance and next level game play, what you displayed was dying twice on the first wave. Good luck in trying to convince anyone who actually has a grasp of this game that this was a good move under any circumstances. At best it was selfish, showing no concern for this overall picture you seem to be so keen on, but your personal score. At worst it was a display that you have zero interest in being part of a team or do you care about those you were dropped with. This is the crux of why I don't like players such as yourself.

5. You are not a gifted enough player, nor have you shown that you have the appropriate knowledge to decide a game is entirely lost because of being down five mechs (two of which were yours) at the end of first wave. Especially since we were at a further disadvantage of not being able to regroup and push in second wave while waiting for your third mech to arrive. It might not be fair to say you cost us the match, but it is 100% accurate to say you were a big part of it.

#292 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 31 December 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

Uh, right. Should probably mention something actually relating to the thread. Come on, got to think of something... Oh, right! I really want the ability to manually aim LRMs with (your own) TAG lasers. I'd prefer a complete LRM system rework, but being able to manually guide your own LRMs would help a good deal with direct fire situations, especially if it worked on already-fired LRMs.

THAT ability exists already. Anyplace you put the crosshairs the LRMs will go as long as its within their range and nothing gets in the way of their flight. You only need to practice doing it to quickly understand that dead fired missiles work just fine against many players who freeze up like deer in headlights on the battlefield. A tag laser simply makes it more obvious as to what the range is and where the crosshair center is. I've used LRM5s to shoot down UAVs this way without radar locks.

Oh and ghostbusters was on earlier... I flashed past at this scene on the way to playing mechwarrior.

Edited by Dee Eight, 31 December 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#293 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 31 December 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

THAT ability exists already. Anyplace you put the crosshairs the LRMs will go as long as its within their range and nothing gets in the way of their flight. You only need to practice doing it to quickly understand that dead fired missiles work just fine against many players who freeze up like deer in headlights on the battlefield. A tag laser simply makes it more obvious as to what the range is and where the crosshair center is. I've used LRM5s to shoot down UAVs this way without radar locks.

Oh and ghostbusters was on earlier... I flashed past at this scene on the way to playing mechwarrior.

I meant with the ability to course correct. So, for instance, you could fire straight up, then curve them back down to the target. Or save LRMs you fired before turning on the TAG laser by making them change direction.

#294 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostMacClearly, on 31 December 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

That was quite possibly one of the funniest things I have ever read.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to drop with you againI certainly will take a screenshot of the score for you.

I appreciate you don't feel you can learn from me. Not my goal. My goal was to point out your foolishness. Could not have forseen to be so spectacularly successful in being able to do so. Will break it down in points so it is easier.

1. Your assertion that while attacking Hellbore springs, going Beta gate is the worst possible move is patently absurd and no one who knows the map or how to play invasion is going to agree with your assessment.

2. No, this is not a table top strategy game. You don't roll any dice and so far you have been completely unable to show where the strategy used to play table top has any impact or lends any significant knowledge to someone playing MWO.

3. Saying that you have called over 2000 matches and have only 4 mistakes is silly and certainly not supported by the statistics available in this game. Certainly you can say things as ridiculous as this, but unfortunately for you, no one with any sense in his head is going to take someone seriously who does.

4. Your ranting on and on about RCT's and Foward Arc's are irrelevent to Invasion mode on Hellbore to which this converstaion has always been about.

5. You reinforced. As you were doing so, the drop caller repeatedly called out for you to stop. I told you to stop. Your answer was your first mech didn't do enough damage.... So of all your talk of strategic brilliance and next level game play, what you displayed was dying twice on the first wave. Good luck in trying to convince anyone who actually has a grasp of this game that this was a good move under any circumstances. At best it was selfish, showing no concern for this overall picture you seem to be so keen on, but your personal score. At worst it was a display that you have zero interest in being part of a team or do you care about those you were dropped with. This is the crux of why I don't like players such as yourself.

5. You are not a gifted enough player, nor have you shown that you have the appropriate knowledge to decide a game is entirely lost because of being down five mechs (two of which were yours) at the end of first wave. Especially since we were at a further disadvantage of not being able to regroup and push in second wave while waiting for your third mech to arrive. It might not be fair to say you cost us the match, but it is 100% accurate to say you were a big part of it.

Apparently... I am not allowed to show my true feelings of humor at your insipid ignorance according to the Mods, it counts as repetitive messages to fill up the page with HAHAHA.

1. Nope attacked Beta is subpar to attacking Alpha... attacking Beta while scattering like PUGs of the lowest caliber into 3 different chunks makes me thoroughly amused that anything you could say to me should have any weight of importance.

2 Yes... it still has the existing framework of the TT that we are playing in, anyone who has played any kind of amount of Battletech will automatically be able to transfer their knowledge to a slightly different Rule Set but Battletech has at least 5 very distinct Time Periods where the Rule Set changes dramatically between them. We are currently playing in the very worst that Battletech rule sets ever were... but its the only period Mechwarrior games will ever set themselves in besides 3025 (which is the most boring Battletech ever was, might as well be playing 11th century Chess the technology makes the pieces so inferior.) If you want to play a pure FPS with Mechs, play Titanfall 2!!! Come back and talk to me in a week... I will wait.

3. It is a factual statement... I have made 4 very glaring mistakes in what I called (I remember those clearest of all.) I play lots of games where people do not listen cause they are terribads and/or they think is a FPS not a cooperative multi-player STG. I do not hold it against myself when i get stuck with terrible players... only when I lead good players poorly, where people do what I say to do and I am the reason that we failed. Which I apologize to them for failing them.

4. my "rantings" were only to give you the understanding that you clearly lack of the sheer depth of experience I have at move pieces around the board. Far far far beyond the scope of this game, but as such I learned things that still have practical application within this scope. Company level tactics is literal childs play to me since I was doing it as a child... being able to do simple math equations is all it really takes to know that there was absolutely no ability for the team to overcome a 3-12 deficit even after i raised it up to a 8-13 deficit. You are now relying on the enemy team to play so badly that all 12 of their computers crashing and disconnecting is a higher likelihood.

5. I have never denied I pushed in on my 2nd mech, you nitwit... you just seem to think it mattered, which is all the demonstrative proof I will ever need to know that you have no clue what you are talking about. The overall picture was already set in stone... in thousands of years archaeologists will be able to dig it up and decipher how badly that game was Lost (they will laugh, too.) Again.. you are whinging about something that you barely know as Rote Learning picked up in the past year. I care about as much about that as a 3rd grader trying to teach me multiplication tables... meaning not even the slightest.

*6. (could not even number correctly, they really will just let anyone on the internet wont they?)
for the LAST TIME... it was 3-12!!!!!!!!!!! My pushing in immediately with my 2nd mech made it 8-13... I finished those mechs off as the tail end of people hiding in the back were wiped out, So since I used my 2nd Mech to get them then you do not get to count them as part of the first wave and whine about it as well... it is called math, maybe you should learn it.

ok... I am done with your total irrelevance as well, hope to see you never on my team but always the enemies. Be like playing on a 13 man team, there are quite a few of you and you always make me smile when you are hurting the enemy team not mine.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 31 December 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#295 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 31 December 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Apparently... I am not allowed to show my true feelings of humor at your insipid ignorance according to the Mods, it counts as repetitive messages to fill up the page with HAHAHA.

1. Nope attacked Beta is subpar to attacking Alpha... attacking Beta while scattering like PUGs of the lowest caliber into 3 different chunks makes me thoroughly amused that anything you could say to me should have any weight of importance.

2 Yes... it still has the existing framework of the TT that we are playing in, anyone who has played any kind of amount of Battletech will automatically be able to transfer their knowledge to a slightly different Rule Set but Battletech has at least 5 very distinct Time Periods where the Rule Set changes dramatically between them. We are currently playing in the very worst that Battletech rule sets ever were... but its the only period Mechwarrior games will ever set themselves in besides 3025 (which is the most boring Battletech ever was, might as well be playing 11th century Chess the technology makes the pieces so inferior.) If you want to play a pure FPS with Mechs, play Titanfall 2!!! Come back and talk to me in a week... I will wait.

3. It is a factual statement... I have made 4 very glaring mistakes in what I called (I remember those clearest of all.) I play lots of games where people do not listen cause they are terribads and/or they think is a FPS not a cooperative multi-player STG. I do not hold it against myself when i get stuck with terrible players... only when I lead good players poorly, where people do what I say to do and I am the reason that we failed. Which I apologize to them for failing them.

4. my "rantings" were only to give you the understanding that you clearly lack of the sheer depth of experience I have at move pieces around the board. Far far far beyond the scope of this game, but as such I learned things that still have practical application within this scope. Company level tactics is literal childs play to me since I was doing it as a child... being able to do simple math equations is all it really takes to know that there was absolutely no ability for the team to overcome a 3-12 deficit even after i raised it up to a 8-13 deficit. You are now relying on the enemy team to play so badly that all 12 of their computers crashing and disconnecting is a higher likelihood.

5. I have never denied I pushed in on my 2nd mech, you nitwit... you just seem to think it mattered, which is all the demonstrative proof I will ever need to know that you have no clue what you are talking about. The overall picture was already set in stone... in thousands of years archaeologists will be able to dig it up and decipher how badly that game was Lost (they will laugh, too.) Again.. you are whinging about something that you barely know as Rote Learning picked up in the past year. I care about as much about that as a 3rd grader trying to teach me multiplication tables... meaning not even the slightest.

*6. (could not even number correctly, they really will just let anyone on the internet wont they?)
for the LAST TIME... it was 3-12!!!!!!!!!!! My pushing in immediately with my 2nd mech made it 8-13... I finished those mechs off as the tail end of people hiding in the back were wiped out, So since I used my 2nd Mech to get them then you do not get to count them as part of the first wave and whine about it as well... it is called math, maybe you should learn it.

ok... I am done with your total irrelevance as well, hope to see you never on my team but always the enemies. Be like playing on a 13 man team, there are quite a few of you and you always make me smile when you are hurting the enemy team not mine.

1. Weight of importance... It really doesn't matter if I have any weight behind what I am saying. Anyone who actually knows and plays the game at anything higher than pug level (hell even probably a lot of regular pugs) know that on Hellbore either gate is a valid option. You can say otherwise and claim superior knowledge, which you have zero to back up or prove said knowledge, but you won't convience too many people that you know better than the MJ12 guys. You can't, you won't, and stats and evidence on the leaderboard will continue to destroy your argument.

2. Your insistence that table top skills and strategies are applicable are amusing. The stompy robots in this game are based on Battletech. The mechanics of the game are that of a first person shooter, specifically arena style battle. Many games such as this FPS based on Battletech, have game modes such as variations of capture the flag and so forth. RTS games such as the upcoming Hairbrained Schemes game, are completely different from MWO. Table top with rolling of dice and what not is completely different than a live action first person shooter. This game is listed and catgeorised as an FPS by the very creators and the media. You can argue and fuss all you like. You are wrong and again the evidence of this is obvious and overwhelming. To add to that you also have not done anything to even provide evidence of any kind other than your rambling that you are even a decent table top player.

3. The chances of that being a factual statement and not simply the delusional ramblings of someone who thinks himself great are about the same as me being named Pope tomorrow. Just roll it back for a second. For one, there's that pesky leaderboard again. We are about 100 places apart stat wise on season six. Given that, I would agree that I would not likely be someone in a place to teach you as I am learning myself. However, one big difference is you and I are not in the same tier. I am almost tier one. I do not know your exact tier but I only have run into you (frequently I might add) from a tier four alt account. So it is more than likely that I am facing tougher teams as well as playing with better pilots than you are. Certainly you are going to find that a tough pill to swallow and I am sure you will somehow tell yourself that it's irrelevent because of the odd measuring stick you have for yourself in your head. On top of this, again statistically speaking, a player 'calling' 2000 games and claiming to have only made four mistakes is ludacris. You are selling silly there. It seems you are really terrible at proper self assessment and honesty. Go ahead though shop that nonsense around about making 2000 calls and having only four mistakes.... It's almost as if you think you are perhaps the smartest person in the world and people have to believe what you tell them no matter how absurd. The best part again is there is no evidence that you are calling anything. It is also very hard to get everyone on board in pick up games and...well I could just go on and on shooting holes through this but again, no one is ever going to believe that statement outside of yourself so it doesn't really matter.

4. You and I both know you did not get five kills the entire match, let alone with your reinforcement....which you where asked not to do and you gave an odd excuse for doing so. There were also lots of other people there that can attest to this fact and I am kicking myself for not screenshoting it. None of what you are saying justifies your reinforcing. You have continued come up with excuse after excuse wrapped in nonsense. You can't show where you would no better than a team that has had a lot of success playing this game, where you haven't. You again are on an island here if you think anyone would buy what you are selling. It's amazing how convoluted this whole thing has become when the crux of it is you were wrong to reinforce and you were wrong and a crappy teammate to decide for everyone else playing that we were hopelessly defeated. But this is coming from a guy in tier four or five who insists he knows more than the world champions....

5. You can name call all you like. Only you will believe in your superior intellect, and tactical skills. No one who knows and plays this game would ever believe that you know more than the world champs or that you know more than MJ12 when it comes to faction. When someone is making such ridiculous and grandiose claims such as these, it is pretty clear who the one with the actual challenges are.

6. Ahhh the small victories. Yes I misnumbered something!!! Unlike you I can easily admit to making mistakes. It's actually a sign of strength not weakness. Again others were there and you did not get five kills the entire match. It also wasn't 3-12 as only you and I had died when you reinforced. I guess honesty and reality are just not your thing. If you are going to lie however, try and make it feasable. You were the weakest link on the team and the very notion that you singlehandedly killed five mechs is foolish. Again, even without screenshots there is the leaderboards and your history in this game. Nothing points to you being capable of such feats, in fact all signs point to the very opposite. As well, you have been well known to do things like bring and lrm Griffen 2N to Grim Portico.

What is funny is that we ultimately want the same thing in conclusion!!!! The big difference is that besides myself, a top team in the game would also like to never have you in a drop with them again (at least the six you met anyways). I would love to face off on you from the other side as you are an easy kill. I have a clan account, which most people know and I also post on the forums under. Really though for the sake of the game, it would be better if players such as yourself were separated from the more serious and competitive players. Really wish PGI would use the tier system in FW because then I would be assured to never run into.

#296 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

[Redacted] besides the fact that I pushed in my 2nd mech one time. I dont have a LRM GRN-2N... I have a GRN-2N with 4SRM6+A & 2 Flamers that I use only for Scouting, I also have a second GRN-2N 2 PPCs poptart that I was trying for a while in my secondary drop deck but i did not find it to be too effective. [Redacted]... If I was going to bring LRMs on a Medium than I would bring my Golden Boy not a GRN-2N. [Redacted] I could care less what those people think about me... I participated with them playing and it was at least as bad as regular PUG drop on a Wednesday night, just like if I wanted to be Tier 1 I would be. It is very simple to farm the PSR system, I am still just trying to Master every Mech before they steal it all away from me... playing in the subpar Mediums & Lights which is all I have left makes that much more difficult. I play unbasic, basic, & elite mechs cause as soon as they are Mastered then I move on. Hell, i could get to Tier 1 tomorrow if I felt like it... [Redacted].

and yeah... anyone who knows anything about this game knows what I am talking about on the Mining opening move. The reason/excuse is that the Oceanic server just is not that good which is why that team was there... I have had that discussion with multiple people, [Redacted]. Pretty sure that there are amazing players in MJ12, unfortunately none of them (or at least not enough of them) were in that drop with us but you are trying to assign everyone in MJ12 that level of skill & knowledge.

Edited by draiocht, 01 January 2017 - 04:32 PM.
insults, language, unconstructive

#297 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

i feel you man, I have a phobia of what's in the Ocean, doesn't help that i live on Death Island "Australia"

OP AMS and ECM work wonders, along with Radar Derp and hard cover. Though the last one doesn't help the big stompy robots.

#298 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

This thread has not proceeded constructively to the original topic of LRM defense.
The personal arguments are not permitted on the forums.
General discussion on LRM effectiveness can be moved to other LRM threads.
Discussion of other aspects of gameplay may be moved to respectively relevant threads.
The Subnautica discussion can be moved to Off Topic Discussions.

[mod]Due to substantially nonconstructive posting,
this thread is now closed.[/mod]

59 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 59 guests, 0 anonymous users