Gauss Rifle Charging, Is It Necessary?

128 replies to this topic

#41 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

I feel like you guys are forgetting that Gauss is almost never used alone; it is almost always paired with PPCs or lasers.

#42 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 December 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

I feel like you guys are forgetting that Gauss is almost never used alone; it is almost always paired with PPCs or lasers.

Pure goose rifle builds are one of the most painful things I've ever had to deal with in this game to run personally. Half the time when I go to fire, it was too soon due to the indicators of it being ready being terrible for colorblind people. The rest of the time, I'm only getting a 30 damage shot out after someone dumped a 40+ hit on me while I was staring at them for the charge-up. 10/10, would die horribly in my Mad Dog C again.

#43 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

I dare say that has more to do with your insistence on running "stock" builds than it does with the effectiveness of the gauss rifle.

I'd suggest you try a twin gauss Hunchback IIC... but you won't, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it's effectiveness.

#44 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Pure goose are also generally inefficient.

Actually, I would estimate that the fact that Goose requires a charge is one of only two things preventing the Night Gyr from just dominating the battlefield, the other being engine size...and even then it is only 25 off.

#45 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

View Postcazidin, on 26 December 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I started playing just when the AC/20 came back into fashion but I think you're approaching this from the wrong perspective.

The Gauss Rifle is good. Buff the other ballistics instead!

I'm not saying the Gauss Rifle needs nerfs, just that it needed nerfs. It was way too good pre-charge; and charge both got it into a better place AND made it feel wholly unique vs. other ballistics. Not just different stats, but a whole different usage style.

I do think most other ballistics - particularly the 2 and 10, but generally all the regular autocannons - need some love.

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

The only ballistics worth taking are UACs and Gauss; one is a fire hose, the other a scalpel. The rest of the ACs are peashooters. They have insufficient DPS to club past Gauss and stand against UACs, insufficient velocity to stand in for Gauss with PPCs (AC/10 specific).

#47 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

Except the "start charging as soon as he's visible" thing only works against, what did you call it yourself? Ah, right, slow mechs. Against something like a Linebacker, or anything lighter, and they'll be able to poke and pull back before you can get the shot off if you have anything less than 12 year old CoD reaction times. And at long range, a failed charge does impact you, because you just got damaged without giving anything back in return. That adds up, especially if they were using PPCs.
What? You're saying you feel a Linebacker can move out of cover, fire, and be back in cover in less that 1 second?

No. Absolutely not. Takes too long to get up to speed when peeking, then stop, then accelerate again in reverse when moving back into cover. Maybe some lights, sure, but nothing else.

Even a reasonably quick medium is eating gauss when he peeks if there's someone on overwatch. Acceleration is a *****.

If you're failing at that, it's your reaction time that's screwing you, not the system. I'm TERRIBLE at twitch gameplay these days (too old now) but even I will hit a peeking medium with ease.

Now, I respect that you personally may have issues due to the poor visual indicators vis a vis colourblindness (the audio is quite helpful, if you've got a headset, mind you) but that's a UI issue more than a design issue.

And yes, at current cooldown levels, a goose rifle without charge-up would be bloody insane and many tears would be shed. But the only explanation I've seen people give for not wanting long cooldowns and no charge for it is "It might still be the best at poking!", when, y'know, that should be its only real job. Mid-long range poking. An 8-10 second cooldown would make it a fool's weapon at closer ranges, but all the arguments I see are just putting it in the perfect world of every fight being a poke fight, and staying a poke fight.

They're not going to do that. Because the charge makes the Gauss Rifle feel unique, makes it interesting, and makes the choice more interesting. I don't really disagree with you, mind you. It would work as well, but it'd be less interesting. I'd be relatively happy either way as I'm not terribly invested in it... but I think the charge is better, overall.

Because the inability to snap-shoot with it means you have to anticipate your opponent. Every other directfire weapon can snap shoot, doesn't need this anticipation; it makes the Gauss Rifle different.

And you still see lots of Gauss at all levels of play, so it's not hurting either.

I respect your opinion here, but because there's not a current problem with gauss (it's being used all over, BUT is also not a dominant weapon) it's extraordinarily unlikely to see any major changes, particularly given that they did do a test without charge.

Take out gauss charge, and even with long cooldowns, everyone and their dog is running gauss+ppc builds again overnight, unless the cooldown is so long that the weapon is just garbage.

#48 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

You're dumb kid...

If theres no charging mechanism on it, Im 100% sure you're gonna cry on the forum with "OMG, GAUSS TOO OP, NERF PLS!"

#49 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 December 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

What? You're saying you feel a Linebacker can move out of cover, fire, and be back in cover in less that 1 second?

No. Absolutely not. Takes too long to get up to speed when peeking, then stop, then accelerate again in reverse when moving back into cover. Maybe some lights, sure, but nothing else.

Even a reasonably quick medium is eating gauss when he peeks if there's someone on overwatch. Acceleration is a *****.

If you're failing at that, it's your reaction time that's screwing you, not the system. I'm TERRIBLE at twitch gameplay these days (too old now) but even I will hit a peeking medium with ease.

Now, I respect that you personally may have issues due to the poor visual indicators vis a vis colourblindness (the audio is quite helpful, if you've got a headset, mind you) but that's a UI issue more than a design issue.

They're not going to do that. Because the charge makes the Gauss Rifle feel unique, makes it interesting, and makes the choice more interesting. I don't really disagree with you, mind you. It would work as well, but it'd be less interesting. I'd be relatively happy either way as I'm not terribly invested in it... but I think the charge is better, overall.

Because the inability to snap-shoot with it means you have to anticipate your opponent. Every other directfire weapon can snap shoot, doesn't need this anticipation; it makes the Gauss Rifle different.

And you still see lots of Gauss at all levels of play, so it's not hurting either.

I respect your opinion here, but because there's not a current problem with gauss (it's being used all over, BUT is also not a dominant weapon) it's extraordinarily unlikely to see any major changes, particularly given that they did do a test without charge.

Take out gauss charge, and even with long cooldowns, everyone and their dog is running gauss+ppc builds again overnight, unless the cooldown is so long that the weapon is just garbage.

Yes, a Linebacker can reliably poke out of cover, fire PPCs, and get back into cover again before goose rifles can get a shot off. At least, if you want to be able to actually place those goose rifle shots on any specific section. If it weren't for the PPCs on poke bears, I'd be able to reliably poke them to death with one.

Because something is "unique" doesn't mean it isn't terrible. And gauss is already being used everywhere. And not as just sniping weapons, but as PPFLD weapons for any range. A much longer cooldown would discourage using it as a close-range weapon, which is what a lot of people have wanted for awhile to make the AC/20 more worthwhile compared to it.

And PGI showed on the PTS that they were willing to think about a charge-up removal. I don't use the damn things right now because it's a liability when I carry it and try to use it for its actual goal of sniping. Remove the charge, and I'll finally be able to use it. Probably not going to be able to sway your mind with how argumentative I get when posting at 2 AM, but I'll stand by wanting the charge gone with long cooldowns, since it would make it usable for its proper role while making it harder for it to be just spammed as a no heat, long range AC/20 / 3x AC/5 for mid-range poking.

#50 GoatHILL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 399 posts
  • LocationA dark corner

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

High velocity long range. That's your reasons for charge up?

Why don't C-ERPPCs have a charge up? They now have longer range, lower weight, use less slots and, shorter cooldown. Velocity is right up there too with TCs.

Lets get C-ERPPC charge up.

#51 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostGoatHILL, on 26 December 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

Why don't C-ERPPCs have a charge up? They now have longer range, lower weight, use less slots and, shorter cooldown. Velocity is right up there too with TCs.

Well, in-lore fluff PPCs did have a charge up. Forgetting its name ATM, but wasn't there a PPC that was infamous for creating a blinding light for 2 seconds before firing?

#52 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostGoatHILL, on 26 December 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

Incredibly high heat + lower velocity + lower damage to a single component. ERPPC is inferior to the gauss rifle in almost every scenario imaginable.

#53 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 26 December 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

Incredibly high heat + lower velocity + lower damage to a single component. ERPPC is inferior to the gauss rifle in almost every scenario imaginable.

I find the ERPPC to be a lot better of a sniping weapon than the goose rifle. I can reliably hit people that try to poke me with them without any real trouble, and if needed I can brawl with the damn things. And remember, ERPPCs don't explode, taking out half your mech if they get damaged, and also don't require ammo.

#54 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:29 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 26 December 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

I find the ERPPC to be a lot better of a sniping weapon than the goose rifle. I can reliably hit people that try to poke me with them without any real trouble, and if needed I can brawl with the damn things. And remember, ERPPCs don't explode, taking out half your mech if they get damaged, and also don't require ammo.

I have my goose waffle charged up as soon as I'm poking somewhere. I also carry the range extension. And my goose waffle is usually accompanied by ERPPCs anyway.

#55 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 26 December 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

I have my goose waffle charged up as soon as I'm poking somewhere. I also carry the range extension. And my goose waffle is usually accompanied by ERPPCs anyway.

First of all, I mean when people are poking against me. And isn't it a little bit telling that almost every time you see people bragging about how good the goose rifle is, and how it can't get changed up to a no-charge but long cooldown weapon that they're LIKELY using it with PPCs or laser vomit? Never bragging about using just them?

#56 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

Who needs marksmanship when you can bring a sniper weapon to any kind of firefight, including brawls with 0 Heat and the second highest pinpoint damage weapon in game.

#57 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

I'd have nothing against a single gauss not needing to charge up. The DPS is pretty darn low anyway. That said, I have nothing against the charge. I was against it in the beginning but got used to it over time.

#58 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

I don't use the Gauss rifle because of the charge up. Juggling other weapons, meanwhile piloting and using arty and air, the gauss press, wait, release is no good for mixed load outs like I would use.

#59 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

Even though Gauss is high risk weapon but it's still common in battlefields. Mostly they make CERPPC+Gauss combo on Timby, Gyr, and Kodiak and they still deadly. I wish IS Gauss is more viable than Clan Gauss though.

#60 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 27 December 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

Even though Gauss is high risk weapon but it's still common in battlefields. Mostly they make CERPPC+Gauss combo on Timby, Gyr, and Kodiak and they still deadly. I wish IS Gauss is more viable than Clan Gauss though.

Nevermind lasers, SRMs, and ACs which all have unbearable wight in comparison, gimped ranges, and XL dependancies for IS mechs that want to come close to clan firepower.. Posted Image

LRMs dont count 'cause they're **** regardless.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 27 December 2016 - 01:27 AM.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users