#81 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 January 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

The problem is that there are diminishing returns in firepower when dropping speed and the Pouncer crosses that threshold of sacrificing too much speed for not enough firepower over the Coyotl. In my eyes the Viper is the best blend (if it didn't have those 8 locked JJs that is) while the Phantom would be the speed over firepower and the Coyotl would be the firepower over speed.

I say that because the difference in tonnage weight between what the Coyotl mounts and what the Pouncer mounts is a measly 1.5 tons vs the 4.5 ton difference between the Viper and Coyotl (granted the Coyotl is stuck with Standard armor instead of Ferro).

True, but when counting the locked equipment, the Coyotl has an almost punishing fire power advantage over the Viper, ~15t of pod space (11.5t on the Coyotl Alpha due to 7 JJ's) when compared to the stock 8.5t on the Viper, and that is gained by only going one engine step down on the Viper and losing the hard wired Jump Jets.... if the Coyotl had FF armour the advantage would be even more pronounced... jumping to 16.5t (12.5t on the Alpha) of pod space on the Coyotl, again this is due to the lack of hard locked equipment... but this comes at the cost of doing 121.9km/h after speed tweak vs the 139.3 km/h the Viper pushes out. I see it as a more interesting trade, a little speed lost, for being about to mount bigger guns....

How ever this is neither here nor there, as until PGI were to make the Coyotl, it is purely bias speculation on both of our parts, as to what mech would be better.

#82 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 03 January 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

True, but when counting the locked equipment, the Coyotl has an almost punishing fire power advantage over the Viper, ~15t of pod space (11.5t on the Coyotl Alpha due to 7 JJ's) when compared to the stock 8.5t on the Viper, and that is gained by only going one engine step down on the Viper and losing the hard wired Jump Jets.... if the Coyotl had FF armour the advantage would be even more pronounced... jumping to 16.5t (12.5t on the Alpha) of pod space on the Coyotl, again this is due to the lack of hard locked equipment... but this comes at the cost of doing 121.9km/h after speed tweak vs the 139.3 km/h the Viper pushes out. I see it as a more interesting trade, a little speed lost, for being about to mount bigger guns....

All I'm saying is that the Pouncer really doesn't gain much firepower over the Coyotl such that the Coyotl really isn't the perfect blend but is instead the true firepower oriented 40 tonner while the Pouncer is just its inefficient cousin.

Just for reference (Clan 40 tonners with ES/FF/XL):
6/9 - 19 tons free - poor mans 7/11
7/11 - 17 tons free - firepower oriented 40 tonner
8/12 - 12.5 tons free - in-betweener
9/14 - 7.5 tons free - speed oriented 40 tonner

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#83 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Poll doesn't include the Valkyrie or Javelin for IS. Both are pretty important over Strider and Hauptmann. Ought to have the Thug in there as well.

ETA: That said, I voted Stinger/Wasp, Crusader, Dervish, and Other (Valkyrie).

Clan I went with Fire Moth, Fire Falcon, Stone Rhino, and Turkina.

I'd happily give up the Fire Falcon and Stone Rhino votes to get Javelin and Thug votes.

Edited by Archangel.84, 03 January 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#84 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Uziel is 3063
Sunder is 3056
Strider is 3057
Hauptmann is 3060
Mad Cat MK II is 3062
Cougar is 3058

Light
- Raptor
- Stinger &/Or Wasp
Medium
- Dervish
- Strider
- Uziel
Heavy
- Champion
- Crusader
- Falconer
Assault
- Annihilator
- Devastator
- Hauptmann
- Longbow
- Sunder
- Nightstar

Light
- Cougar
- Fire Moth
- Fire Falcon
- Locust IIC
Medium
- Pouncer
Heavy
- Nova Cat
- Rifleman IIC
Assault
- Bane
- Kingfisher
- Mad Cat Mk II
- Stone Rhino
- Turkina
- Warhammer IIC

(Up to date as of 2016/12/31 including all announced mechs up to the Roughneck)
Posted Image

Posted Image

There's +1 unknown light to come this month.

However, we really need more Lights, of a total 76 Mechs (384 variants) we have:
14 Lights (42 Var) (15 and 45-48 this month hopefully)
22 Mediums (118 Var)
21 Heavies (102 Var)
19 Assaults (102 Var)

#85 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 January 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

All I'm saying is that the Pouncer really doesn't gain much firepower over the Coyotl such that the Coyotl really isn't the perfect blend but is instead the true firepower oriented 40 tonner while the Pouncer is just its inefficient cousin.

A fair point, and one I don't disagree with in terms of MWO. When one looks at performance in TT, a very strong case can be made for the Pouncer, as it does punch above it's weight class, while still having decent to good mobility, thanks to the JJ's it packs. being a 6/9/5 is nothing to ignore for a 40t mech in TT. But I do agree for MWO, it would be in a bad spot, as it wouldn't have the speed or agility it would need in that weight class to be very viable, and the Coyotl would be a much better option in terms of speed and fire power (not to mention those high mounts!) balance.

Edited by Metus regem, 03 January 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#86 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

View PostOvion, on 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

However, we really need more Lights, of a total 76 Mechs (384 variants) we have:
14 Lights (42 Var) (15 and 45-48 this month hopefully)
22 Mediums (118 Var)
21 Heavies (102 Var)
19 Assaults (102 Var)

You are missing the Rifleman btw in your count/charts.
You are missing a couple variants somewhere as I have 390 counted including all announced mechs.
Here are the correct counts:
Total 77 Mechs (390 variants) we have:
14 Lights (63 Var)
22 Mediums (118 Var)
22 Heavies (107 Var)
19 Assaults (102 Var)

View PostMetus regem, on 03 January 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

A fair point, and one I don't dissagree with in terms of MWO. When one looks at performance in TT, a very strong case can be made for the Pouncer, as it does punch above it's weight class, while still having decent to good mobility, thanks to the JJ's it packs. being a 6/9/5 is nothing to ignore for a 40t mech in TT. But I do agree for MWO, it would be in a bad spot, as it wouldn't have the speed or agility it would need in that weight class to be very viable, and the Coyotl would be a much better option in terms of speed and fire power (not to mention those high mounts!) balance.

That's all I was trying to say, BV does a better job at allowing the Pouncer to be useful (since mechs don't need to be balanced with each other there).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 January 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#87 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Hatchetman and axe man for IS.

#88 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Clan mechs I'd like to see.

Woodsman, 75 tons won't happen unless P.G.I were to add a set of pods.

It looks different to anything the clans have, its a big fluff mech as it lead to Timberwolf, Naga, and Gargoyle, and while not naff, if won't add to the out of control power creep.

Coyotl 40 tons nice looking, again won't cause power creep and isn't naff, yet again though only a prime and A set of pods.

Black Lanner 55 tons, but only if it looks like the bottom right design on the sarna website.

Dasher probably, clans should have a 20 ton mech, but I would think P.G.I will drop an engine size so that masc can be used on it, and not break the game.

I've thrown my I.S preferred here many many times, to not need to be added.

I do think though that this year there should be no new clan assaults and I.S shouldn't be getting anything bigger than 80 tons, this game needs no more power mechs stretching the balance and power creep any further.

Edited by Cathy, 03 January 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#89 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostCathy, on 03 January 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Clan mechs I'd like to see.

Woodsman, 75 tons won't happen unless P.G.I were to add a set of pods.

It looks different to anything the clans have, its a big fluff mech as it lead to Timberwolf, Naga, and Gargoyle, and while not naff, if won't add to the out of control power creep.

Coyotl 40 tons nice looking, again won't cause power creep and isn't naff, yet again though only a prime and A set of pods.

Black Lanner 55 tons, but only if it looks like the far right design on the sarna website.

Dasher probably, clans should have a 20 ton mech, but I would think P.G.I will drop an engine size so that masc can be used on it, and not break the game

The main problem with the Woodsman is that its lore loadouts are just... well, a Timber Wolf that goes too slow until you activate its MASC. I like how it looks, I'll admit that, but I don't know if it would ever get added. Now, I still wish the Thresher would get some love, despite its weapons loadout being "meh", just because it's a non-IIC heavy Battlemech that can hit 108 km/h with MASC. Plus the whole "Clan Diamond Shark built it" thing.

#90 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Where is the Black Lanner? EDIT: and the Charger?

BTW, my votes:

IS:
- Wasp (and Stinger)
- Crusader
- voted Longbow in the lack of Charger
- Raptor

Clan:
- Fire Moth
- Rifleman IIC
- Bane
- voted Kingfisher in the lack of Black Lanner

PS: Those are the mechs I want in 2017 - there are many in the list I love but would wait for 2018 (specially those later in the timeline, like the Blood Asp and most IS omnis)

Edited by Odanan, 04 January 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#91 Bradigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

A lot of those options are either more same old, same old, or just about pure nostalgia.

As of this moment, the Inner Sphere mech stable is missing a 75 ton heavy and an 80 ton assault with 2 or more ballistic slots that are not tied to the same location. I'm getting really tired of this 2-3 ballistic hardpoints in the same torso/ arm garbage. Roughneck could have been seriously good, if only it had been 75 tons instead of 65, further bloating a crowded category where the Jagermech already does everything it's going to do.

For the Clans, all they are really missing right now is a 20 ton and a 90 ton omnimech. The clans really don't need any more battlemechs, as those have the nasty tendency to outshine the clan omnis if given the hardpoint inflation treatment.

#92 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostBradigus, on 03 January 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

90 ton omnimech

You're right! Kingfisher FTW!

#93 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 January 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

You're right! Kingfisher FTW!

You misspelled Blood Asp :P

#94 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 January 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

You misspelled Blood Asp Posted Image

Only after heavy lasers are in game.

#95 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 January 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Only after heavy lasers are in game.

How about we wait to add a 90 tonner Omni until we get heavy lasers then Posted Image

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 January 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#96 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 January 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

How about we wait to add a 90 tonner Omni until we get heavy lasers then Posted Image

Posted Image

No.

#97 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Chose one "other" on IS because Flea.

#98 NighthawK1337

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Terra, Asia, Philippines

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

Clans:

URBANMECH IIC!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.

#99 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Still want the Anvil
Posted Image

60 tons
Guardian ECM
Jump Jets
300 Engine

#100 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 January 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Where is the Black Lanner?

In the same trash heap it belongs in.... It's got too big of an engine (locked 385xl with locked MASC), lack of armour and lack of pod space to do anything but ERSL vomit, and only if they include the Charlie variant....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users