Question Re: The Assault Lrm Taboo

104 replies to this topic

#101 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

View PostZergling, on 20 April 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

Those LRM cooldown times are incorrect; IS LRM15 has 4.00 second CD, IS LRM20 has 4.30 second CD, Clan LRM15 has 4.30 second CD, Clan LRM20 has 4.60 second CD.

Larger missile racks always have more DPS than smaller racks in MWO; they just aren't as DPS/tonnage efficient.

Right - I think I was reading heat instead of recycle time.

#102 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:17 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 20 April 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Plus, people who are decently good at this game usually won't give you more than one chance to get a really good LRM hit on them, and 4 lasers are not really enough to deter any determined attacker.

In the example Valasharia gave, 18 seconds is an eternity. If someone gave you 18 seconds to get really good hits on them, they are not very good.

I saw your message in the game last night, but didn't reply. I am useless on the keyboard and it takes me so long to spell out a message that I usually don't even try. If we are on the same side I will chat using the voice chat.

However, in answer to your question I didn't bother to change the LRM loadout. But I did replace my four medium pulse lasers with four medium lasers. That gives me an enormous missile load of 2880, which might be a bit too much. I will keep on tinkering with it. I did get a kill with my four lasers last night, however. But not in the game we played. In that game I got rushed by several heavies and was taken out early.

#103 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostValasharia, on 20 April 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

I saw your message in the game last night, but didn't reply. I am useless on the keyboard and it takes me so long to spell out a message that I usually don't even try. If we are on the same side I will chat using the voice chat.

However, in answer to your question I didn't bother to change the LRM loadout. But I did replace my four medium pulse lasers with four medium lasers. That gives me an enormous missile load of 2880, which might be a bit too much. I will keep on tinkering with it. I did get a kill with my four lasers last night, however. But not in the game we played. In that game I got rushed by several heavies and was taken out early.

You actually got rushed by a certain arctic cheetah, more than once last night. ;)

I think the optimal missile load is one that you use up almost completely at the end of most matches. If you take more ammo you're sacrificing heat or sensors or firepower for something thats actually a significant danger to you due to explosion hazard.

#104 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostZergling, on 20 April 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

Larger missile racks always have more DPS than smaller racks in MWO; they just aren't as DPS/tonnage efficient.

It isn't DPS per tonnage so much as spread per tonnage.

LRM5s (at least use to) have the best spread and reload speeds, even if DPS wasn't there. People loaded up on the five launchers because they "aimed almost exclusively for the CT".

I'll be honest, I actually tend to take the large launchers (not in mass though) for their spread. It may sound counter productive to "killing the enemy fast", but it certainly is great when someone tries to shield side a damaged component from me. The LRM spread just kinda says "Nope, I'm still hitting and taking that component from you". It's situational, but so are a lot of other aspects of this game. There is also a reason why I don't bloat myself with LRMs, and take what I can as a reasonable direct fire compliment.

It's all in how you use them and what you expect out of them. Basically like every build consideration out there.

Edit:
PS: I don't do this so much on assaults though, as the topic is about LRM assaults. On a good solid agile mech, which preferably has jump... Yeah. I use LRM spread as an advantage when I can.

On an Assault, I bring larger launchers (normally a pair of 15s as the largest so far) to help with indirect fire as I approach for my other direct fire weapons. Typically, it's only a single LRM10-15 with a ton or two of ammo. Assaults are slow, and can't always re-position well to utilize LRMs fully. But they do benefit from indirect fire while getting into position for direct fire weapons (or as a trap to lure people into the "easy kill LRM boat"....).

Edited by Tesunie, 20 April 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#105 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

@Black Lanner- Yes several valid points there but, there's one thing LRMs are great for. Supression, they don't necessarily have to do any damage themselves if it keeps someone from advancing or making them take cover instead of dealing damage. It'll have a different use at higher tier play. This is why I don't focus on boating them. They're also an attention getter at higher tier play because well "LRM NOOB" so if you play with that in mind you can keep people occupied and distracted while advancing. Also with AMS and people using it, it's like have a uav, wherever the ams is coming from to shoot the missles, you know where there's enemies and so does your team. I'll dumbfire them into a grid to see what shoots at them, many times you can actually pick up a push or position change just by lobbing a couple LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users