#61 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostBespoke Cheese Cake, on 05 January 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

I use a Highlander-IIC for Assault lurming.

The HoverLurmer. There can be only one.

#62 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

Having good results with the above mentioned Highlander..major damage per salvo.

However, finding better survival rate, more effective mid/close range management and better speed with the Whk-B.
The 4 X LRM15 + 4 X MPL or 55 tubes + 5 X MPL. Just don't go solo. sweet spot range is 300-450.

Edited by Odd Thomas, 02 April 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#63 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 02 April 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

The HoverLurmer. There can be only one.

I have that configuration as well. The only problem I have with it is that one of the missile hardpoints is a little low. I like the symmetry of the Supernova and it carries the same missile load. My King Crab KGC-0000 is also excellent, but doesn't carry quite the same missile load.

#64 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Highlander IIC - B is the best Clan Assault LRM boat (4x ALRM15, 2x LPL, TC1, Beagle, AMS, 1x JJ). No Tag is the only downside. The ALRM80 Supernova is funny, but the Highlander is clearly better.

But no Clan LRM mech can hope to match the Awesome-8R in effectiveness. That thing is just brutal (4x ALRM15, TAG, 2x ML). One of the best mechs for solo QP period.

#65 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 03 April 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Highlander IIC - B is the best Clan Assault LRM boat (4x ALRM15, 2x LPL, TC1, Beagle, AMS, 1x JJ). No Tag is the only downside. The ALRM80 Supernova is funny, but the Highlander is clearly better.

But no Clan LRM mech can hope to match the Awesome-8R in effectiveness. That thing is just brutal (4x ALRM15, TAG, 2x ML). One of the best mechs for solo QP period.

Interesting. I don't see many Awesomes on the battlefield anymore, but I may have to take a look at that model.

#66 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostValasharia, on 03 April 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

I have that configuration as well. The only problem I have with it is that one of the missile hardpoints is a little low. I like the symmetry of the Supernova and it carries the same missile load. My King Crab KGC-0000 is also excellent, but doesn't carry quite the same missile load.

I do it purely for the troll. I play hyper aggressive with it. Its fun but derpy.

#67 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:24 PM

Just wait for ATM's on the Night Gyr Ds... Hit that mid or short range and go the pound town!

#68 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

View PostBlack Lanner, on 04 April 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

Just wait for ATM's on the Night Gyr Ds... Hit that mid or short range and go the pound town!

ATMs are direct fire, so no competition for LRMs. And I hope that MRMs will be better than ATMs Posted Image

#69 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:42 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 05 April 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

ATMs are direct fire, so no competition for LRMs. And I hope that MRMs will be better than ATMs Posted Image

MRM 10: 3 tons, 4 heat, 10 damage
ATM 3: 1.5 tons, 3 heat, 9/6/3 damage

MRM 20: 7 tons, 6 heat, 20 damage
ATM 6: 3.5 tons, 4 heat, 18/12/6 damage (Same weight as a Clan LRM 15)

MRM30: 10 tons, 10 heat, 30 damage
ATM 9: 5 tons, 6 heat 27/18/9 damage (Same weight as a Clan LRM 20)

MRM 40: 12 tons, 12 heat, 40 damage
ATM 12: 7 tons, 8 heat, 36/24/12 damage

ATMs are all equipped with Artemis IV, also tonnage to heat to damage ratios: advantage ATMs

Cramming 2 ATM 9s and 2 ATM 12s on the Night Gyr D with 2 lasers is going to be my work horse!

Edited by Black Lanner, 11 April 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#70 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

LRM80 supernova A - go big or go home.

#71 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:42 AM

View PostBlack Lanner, on 11 April 2017 - 02:42 AM, said:

MRM 10: 3 tons, 4 heat, 10 damage
ATM 3: 1.5 tons, 3 heat, 9/6/3 damage

MRM 20: 7 tons, 6 heat, 20 damage
ATM 6: 3.5 tons, 4 heat, 18/12/6 damage (Same weight as a Clan LRM 15)

MRM30: 10 tons, 10 heat, 30 damage
ATM 9: 5 tons, 6 heat 27/18/9 damage (Same weight as a Clan LRM 20)

MRM 40: 12 tons, 12 heat, 40 damage
ATM 12: 7 tons, 8 heat, 36/24/12 damage

ATMs are all equipped with Artemis IV, also tonnage to heat to damage ratios: advantage ATMs

Cramming 2 ATM 9s and 2 ATM 12s on the Night Gyr D with 2 lasers is going to be my work horse!

I totally forgot how much range ATMs have... comparing them to MRMs is like apples to oranges. And don't get your hopes up for anything else but the standard ammo.

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 11 April 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

LRM80 supernova A - go big or go home.

Nope. Like I said, ALRM60 + 2 LPL. Concerning the effectiveness, it is not even close. Of couse you can run the same setup on the Supernova, but I really like the higher E torso mounts and the shield arms of the Highlander.

#72 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 22 February 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

I strongly agree that the the mechs using LRMs as a primary weapon are going to cause a lot of concern and a real bad taste for your allies, but there are ways to use even LRM heavy builds in a way that will make your team proud. Great case study is the Archer. Get two LRM 20's, a TAG laser, and 4 medium lasers on there and make sure that you are in the middle of your group, TAGging your own targets, and using your lasers regularly, and sharing your armor graciously and you will pull 600 damage with happy teammates.

Not to go totally off topic, but I'm with Superfunk here. My favourite build is an ARC-T with dual LRM-15 + Artemis, and 3xML with TAG, BAP, full sensor range, full cooldowns, ECM, and advance target decay. My job on the field is to provide ECM cover to the assaults while they close, to flush targets from cover like a hound dog, and to give one more target to the enemy while the big dudes plod in. I would never roll an assault as a lrm boat, but what I'm hearing here about having a couple lurms on board for closing makes a lot of sense. LRMs are NOT the problem in this game, the problem is people that are used to playing shooters on their goshdarn phones, and they don't know what a hex is. "1000m range? Right on! Aurie is giving me a lock at 998m!" *55 tube useless swoosh+gives away tactical suprise* = ALL THE LRM HATE.

#73 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

View PostAcehilator, on 11 April 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

I totally forgot how much range ATMs have... comparing them to MRMs is like apples to oranges. And don't get your hopes up for anything else but the standard ammo.

Except that it has already been explained that the game mechanic for ATMs in MWO is that there will be only one type of ammo, and at the close range bracket, it will do 3 damage per missile, the Medium bracket will do 2 damage per missile, and the Long range will be 1 damage per missile...

As long as the missiles fly with a lob similar to LRMs, they will more or less replace LRMs for the Clans, if they fire straight on, they will replace SRMs. Hell, they might replace both, anyways. My MAD-IIC-8 is getting a nice, new, large rack as soon as they are released.

#74 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

View PostAcehilator, on 11 April 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

ATMs are going only have one ammo type instead of the 3 types they have in TT, but they will have damage drop-off to simulate the effect of those three ammo types.

So ATMs will be doing 3 damage per missile at close range, as they do in TT with HE ammo.

#75 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

View PostZergling, on 11 April 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

ATMs are going only have one ammo type instead of the 3 types they have in TT, but they will have damage drop-off to simulate the effect of those three ammo types.

So ATMs will be doing 3 damage per missile at close range, as they do in TT with HE ammo.

Will they? Just because it kind of makes sense does not mean PGI will take this approach, you know Posted Image

View PostBlack Lanner, on 11 April 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Except that it has already been explained that the game mechanic for ATMs in MWO is that there will be only one type of ammo, and at the close range bracket, it will do 3 damage per missile, the Medium bracket will do 2 damage per missile, and the Long range will be 1 damage per missile...

As long as the missiles fly with a lob similar to LRMs, they will more or less replace LRMs for the Clans, if they fire straight on, they will replace SRMs. Hell, they might replace both, anyways. My MAD-IIC-8 is getting a nice, new, large rack as soon as they are released.

Source for the game mechanics? And ATMs cannot fire indirectly, so they won't replace LRMs.

Edited by Acehilator, 12 April 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#76 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:16 AM

View PostAcehilator, on 12 April 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

Will they? Just because it kind of makes sense does not mean PGI will take this approach, you know Posted Image

See PGI's description of ATMs in the tech update:
"Advanced Tactical Missile. A missile whose damage will vary based on the distance it travelled. Higher damage up close, lower damage at long range."

So yeah, PGI appear to be going with a single ammo type with damage/range drop off.

Edited by Zergling, 13 April 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#77 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

View PostZergling, on 13 April 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

See PGI's description of ATMs in the tech update:
"Advanced Tactical Missile. A missile whose damage will vary based on the distance it travelled. Higher damage up close, lower damage at long range."

So yeah, PGI appear to be going with a single ammo type with damage/range drop off.

Ah, totally forgot about that, thanks. And I think it is a really nice solution. Although the inability to use different ammo types is still annoying in general (WTB slug ammo for LB-Xs).

#78 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostAcehilator, on 12 April 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

Source for the game mechanics? And ATMs cannot fire indirectly, so they won't replace LRMs.

I know in the TT you cannot fire ATMs indirectly, but that doesn't mean that PGI will hold to that. 1) they have already altered or ignored many Battletech rules and 2) there are few maps that offer enough long range LOS for the missiles to hit anything further than at the mid range bracket. So I have no expectations in either direction because you almost never know how PGI will implement things until it is done.

#79 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

View PostBlack Lanner, on 16 April 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

I know in the TT you cannot fire ATMs indirectly, but that doesn't mean that PGI will hold to that. 1) they have already altered or ignored many Battletech rules and 2) there are few maps that offer enough long range LOS for the missiles to hit anything further than at the mid range bracket. So I have no expectations in either direction because you almost never know how PGI will implement things until it is done.

ATMs will be mostly short and mid range weapons, but come with the option of doing damage at long range.

In TT, ATMs aren't a good choice for long range due to their poor efficiency with ER ammunition. ER ammo is largely only used until the unit carrying ATMs gets in closer to use standard or HE ammo.

Edited by Zergling, 17 April 2017 - 12:14 AM.

#80 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

Lrms on assualts are not horrible things. It's the boat that makes them horrible. Personally if you take lets say the 4 missle Atlas, toss one LRM rack on with the 3x srms you may notice a 100-200 damage improvement as long as you're using it for approach and to deter *runners* honestly 1 lrm 15 and 1-2tons of ammo is all that's needed for that gain if the majority of the playstyle is still tthe same. The really are support weapons designed for softening targets or indirect fire which given how "fast" assualts move, is qquite useful. On assualts i would reccomend considering them as a secondary weapons platform rather than the primary. But, to each their own.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users