#41 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostNeput Z34, on 26 February 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I respectfully disagree, regarding Warhawk having "No missile quirks" or being ruled out as a "missile platform" .
The WHK-A Left Arm and Right Torso omni pods have "Missile Velocity" and "Missile Spread" quirks, granted they are not as useful as "Missile cool down/ rate of fire.
Odd Thomas was specifically asking about WHK-B.*shrug*

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 February 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

View PostHorseman, on 25 February 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

It's also a matter of teamwork, tactical awareness... and sometimes just some bleeding common sense that newbies still didn't have knocked into them. Staying behind means singling yourself out, many of them are not paying any attention to their radar when it clearly shows a closing enemy, and standing still like a practice dummy with enemies in range just makes then into an easy target
Yeah, but, you don't need LRMs or to stay behind. Most people just run happily forward without any thought for the slower assults. It's worse on some maps than others. It's really rare to see anyone looking out for you in your slow assult.
I'm not referring to assaults lagging behind due to their lower top speed, but to clowns who stay far behind their team by intent in the mistaken belief that being 900m behind the front line makes them safe.

#42 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

i love how people are like you can not do This "one" thing...

I run the largest xl engine, in a Dc atlas, with 3 lrm 5's 2 er larges, a lbx10 and ac2...

People dont even think twice to look at me face time... Totally not even thinking about what i have to be configured to be ruining what im carring... some times you get that smart guy who figures it out,
But for the most time.. If i can see you.. Im pelting you over and over... and if i cant see you im luabing lrms over the wall at you

If you guys really want to get good.. you need to stop with the meta.. "this is what you should run" idea

They have flattened this game out so much that litterally... anything can kill anything anymore.. There is very little challange..
I love when a patch drops and everyone starts running er's or projectiles... Its so easy to counter what ever everyone is doing..

instead of tring to run what the group considers to be normal.. you should run what yeilds you the most amount of Money and kills... and fun

#43 Brandiment

• PipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 27 February 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

i love how people are like you can not do This "one" thing...

I run the largest xl engine, in a Dc atlas, with 3 lrm 5's 2 er larges, a lbx10 and ac2...

People dont even think twice to look at me face time... Totally not even thinking about what i have to be configured to be ruining what im carring... some times you get that smart guy who figures it out,
But for the most time.. If i can see you.. Im pelting you over and over... and if i cant see you im luabing lrms over the wall at you

If you guys really want to get good.. you need to stop with the meta.. "this is what you should run" idea

They have flattened this game out so much that litterally... anything can kill anything anymore.. There is very little challange..
I love when a patch drops and everyone starts running er's or projectiles... Its so easy to counter what ever everyone is doing..

instead of tring to run what the group considers to be normal.. you should run what yeilds you the most amount of Money and kills... and fun

Oh look someone who understands the purpose of a game. I've never really understood the whole "you have to use this build or you are a scrub!" nonsense, FFS I run a 8 ER PPC Supernova that only moves 25-28 kph. Why do I do this you ask, because I can. What is the point of playing a game if you can't have fun cause some douche that you never met and will only know for a total of 10-15 min says that you can't run a build because its not "meta" or its "stupid".

#44 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

I run in to matches with my chuck norris helmet on from time to time... to have fun.. to have a enjoyable session..

#45 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

The Supernova that comes stock with 2 ERLL, 2 LRM20s, 2 Streak6's comes to mind when I think of LRM assaults done right. In the one match I ran, I poked with the lasers while closing the distance, all the while LRMing whatever I could (supporting brawlers, not wasting LRMs on hiding mechs). I softened plenty of them and even beat up the few lights that came at me. Boating would not have allowed that. I think I got 1 kill to LRMs, 1 to poking, 1 or 2 to SSRMs. Assaults should never be wasted hiding in the back lobbing LRMs. You never know how effective that will be and it's a waste of armor.

#46 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 28 February 2017 - 08:42 AM.
insult

#47 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

There is no problem with LRMs on an Assault. There is only a problem with Assaults wasting their 15 to 19 tons of Armor by not participating in the fight.

Being the last Mech standing after 10 minutes gametime, getting killed with over 1000 LRMs left unused and having dealt less than 250 dmg during the whole game is just sad.

#48 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

[mod]Removed a couple recent off-topic argumentative posts.

Please keep discussion on-topic and constructive.
Thank you.[/mod]

#49 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostShu Horus, on 28 February 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

There is no problem with LRMs on an Assault. There is only a problem with Assaults wasting their 15 to 19 tons of Armor by not participating in the fight.

Being the last Mech standing after 10 minutes gametime, getting killed with over 1000 LRMs left unused and having dealt less than 250 dmg during the whole game is just sad.

This would also hold true for the curiously respected, non-armor sharing 2 X Gauss + 2 X PPC Assault build.

My Warhawk-B Has 50 tubes + 5 mpl's. Fire LRM's while closing in. Try to keep a range of 250- 400m. Have more kills with the lasers. Near even, though.

LRM's are fine on any mech as long as it is not at the expense of one of its primary functions.

Edited by Chill Bill, 28 February 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#50 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostChill Bill, on 28 February 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

This would also hold true for the curiously respected 2 X Gauss + 2 X PPC Assault build.

It holds true for all assault pilots.

It just so happens that its normally an inexperienced pilot with lrms.

#51 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 28 February 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

It holds true for all assault pilots.

It just so happens that its normally an inexperienced pilot with lrms.

Yes.. good point & very true. Often beginners lack the confidence in their abilities and are therefore reluctant to step into the pool and get wet (been that way since day one and now there's a steeper learning curve than existed in beta days). Yes, it's really all about the pilot, not the loadout.

Edited by Chill Bill, 28 February 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#52 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:26 AM

LRMs are great!

Although some mediums and even lights can run LRMs well, most of the time you'd like to have a heavy or an assult. But, that sounds just an opinion, lets use some facts, of course these are unfortunately very personal facts, but facts all the same.

First, my stats sorted by average damage. In same I explain most common loadouts from the top mechs. Second picture is sorted by Win loss ratio, since at least personally I respect winning more than damage.

The Archer 5W with 9 missile hardpoints has pretty much always run with 9xLRM5, XL 340 and then lots of missiles and maybe few extra heatsinks. That is a really iconic and well working boat. That would be a good baseline for LRM assult, except it's more like a ceiling. Now it's a heavy but that's really one I've been most broud of.

After it's success I wanted to have something with bigger caliber, thus I took Stalker-5M. Not only or purely because it has 5 missile hardpoints, but because it has 15% range quirk for them. I've run it with mostly XL 250 or XL 310. Yeah with Stalker having XL engine sucks a lot more than with Archer.
I wanted to have something that affords more aggression as it has energy hardpoints unlike Archer, so I've pretty much always had a tag and for long time Artemis as well, only recently I desided I can't make artemis work on it and it wastes tonnage and slots. Stalker really lacks tonnage, for an assult. If you take LRM5A, you will waste a lot of slots and tonnage and that's not really effective. LRM10A gets a lot more heavier and it has more spread. I think my most successul buidls have had 3 large pulses along with something like LRM5A, or 3-5 medium pulses. Or could I have LRM10A with them, I can't remember.
I really wanted it to be a nice LRM boat but it's been a let down a bit. If Cyclops would have been on sale when I got the Stalker, I'm fairly sure it would have been better, due to higher tonnage, much more missile hardpoints. But Stalker was on sale and Cyclops wasn't.

You can see the Stalker is pretty high in average damage but specially few games ago, the W/L ratio was the letdown, something between 0.7 and 0.8 I recall. I also lack the ability to carry two modules, as that 1250 meter range really doesn't work when your own sensor range is only 1000.

Now latest addition has been Warhawk. I took B variant since, yep you guessed it, it's the one with missile hardpoint on CT. I think I've been mostly running it with 4xLRM15, tag and 3x medium pulse. It's amazingly fast, it allows good aggression and it takes quite a beating too. If you compare that to my Dire Wolfs, yeah, they are hardly in the same ballpark.

Spoiler

If I want to win, I carry lots of LRMs. YMMV.

Only recently Warhack surprassed Archer in W/L ratio. In next patch LRM5 will get same spread as LRM10 so it will likely hit the Archer somewhat, but hopefully the skill tree will get get implemented at the same, as it offers pretty nice spread and heat skills to take.
Spoiler

#53 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:05 AM

LRM on Assault at Tier 1 or 2 don't seem to have much of a place. Tier 3, Meh. For Tiers 4 and 5, I present the following for your consideration:
Low Tier Troll

Edited by Black Lanner, 05 March 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#54 Typhon27

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

My Stalker 5M is running 5 LRM5 w/ BAP w 5 tons of ammo and 3 LL Sometimes I drop one for some ML/MPLs. I usually stream the LRMs on chain fire, a constant stream that distract and sometimes panic many players ( I am currently tier 2). While doing that, I can alpha the LL up to 3 times before needing a break.

I do not consider it an LRM boat (not enough throw weight) and my place is at 250-400 meters, getting LOS on my target. So while my Atlas or Kodiak buddy is rolling into your face, I am lobbing a salvo/second over his shoulder, while also adding the 3 LL to the carnage. And I am there to step up with him if he is getting too much attention.

I know its not the max firepower a Stalker can bring. I feel more like a slow super-heavy. But I have a lot of fun with it.

#55 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 04 March 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

Now latest addition has been Warhawk. I took B variant since, yep you guessed it, it's the one with missile hardpoint on CT. I think I've been mostly running it with 4xLRM15, tag and 3x medium pulse. It's amazingly fast, it allows good aggression and it takes quite a beating too. If you compare that to my Dire Wolfs, yeah, they are hardly in the same ballpark.

I concur, with the fact that WHK-B (or a variations of) can be an extremely effective LRM platform.

The key is map awareness and positioning. If all else fails Clan LRMs still do damage under 180 meters and at that range "locking on" is overrated against "slow targets".

Back in a day, my favorite past time was; "dumb firing" on stationary targets who thought they were safe from LuRMs while under ECM.

#56 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

All of my Assaults carry LRMs, as many as possible. Why? Well, first there is my playing style. I am almost certainly one of the oldest players in the game (I'm 73). That means I don't have the playing smarts and reflexes of younger players who can run around blasting enemies with their line-of-sight weapons. I've also played about 12,000 games which means I know what loadouts work for me and what loadouts don't. When I first started playing I was terrible, but I have worked my way up from Tier 5 to the middle of Tier 2 and am currently ranked 137 in Assault mechs.

I get rather tired of people telling me how to play and how to equip my mech when I have found something that suits my abilities and playing style. My current favourite mech is the Supernova SNV-A with four LRM 15s and 2500 rounds of ammo and four medium pulse lasers. This works very well for me. I've had games with 7 kills and over 1400 damage and I regularly deal out 500 t0 1000 damage per game.

I have tried other builds using ballistic and energy weapons and it usually means I last about five minutes and make almost no contribution to my team. This works for me so the next time you see one of my LRM assaults on the battlefield, remember that this is a team game, and this is the best way for me to contribute.

#57 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Well said and congrats on your accomplishments.

And here I thought that I was the oldest dude in the game....

Have no patience for sitting passively in front of the damn TV.

Look forward to meeting you online.

#58 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

View PostChill Bill, on 31 March 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Well said and congrats on your accomplishments.

And here I thought that I was the oldest dude in the game....

Have no patience for sitting passively in front of the damn TV.

Look forward to meeting you online.

Thanks - I am old enough to have played the original game back in 1989. I am a night owl so I usually play later than 10 pm MST. If I see you I will give you a shout.

#59 cakasaur

• Pip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Another penny to the discussion.
Back in the day when there were only is mechs (and it can extend to the early clan mechs), equipping lrms on assault mechs tended to make it harder to use due to the low speed and mobility of assault mechs, which impeded the ability of these mechs to position and to repostition when the firing line changes.
Thats not to say that the slow stalker/supernova/mauler etc. assault lrm mechs are bad due to low speed, but rather that the difficulty of using these mechs to lrm is much higher than say using the much faster warhawks, catapults, archers, mad-dogs etc.

#60 Valasharia

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:08 AM

View Postcakasaur, on 01 April 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

Another penny to the discussion.
Back in the day when there were only is mechs (and it can extend to the early clan mechs), equipping lrms on assault mechs tended to make it harder to use due to the low speed and mobility of assault mechs, which impeded the ability of these mechs to position and to repostition when the firing line changes.
Thats not to say that the slow stalker/supernova/mauler etc. assault lrm mechs are bad due to low speed, but rather that the difficulty of using these mechs to lrm is much higher than say using the much faster warhawks, catapults, archers, mad-dogs etc.

I've used a lot of configurations regarding LRMs and you are right, the heavy mechs can move more quickly into position. I can put four LRM 10s on my Timber Wolf and I've had pretty good games with it. However, my best games by far have been with assault LRMs. As I said, given my age and the fact that MWO is the only shooter I've ever played, assaults seem to suit me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users