Inner Sphere Pilots, Stop Bringing Lrms To Fw (Title Edited By Mods)

258 replies to this topic

#221 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

just something that has not been mentioned in this regard:
if you come with lrms NEVER below 15, best 40-60, there is no bigger pain in the eye than seing a mech carrying 1x lrm5
bringing 2k ammo is usefull against the worst of the worst, better improve your engine
lrms must be shot non stop! see a target - shoot. no targets - shoot where the enemy could appear
spot your own targets if there are none
all of the above, so that in case you do not die while spotting for yourself - you run out of ammo soon enough to serve for a short time as meat shield and bring a real mech
in case you have a team it works - if not die first, so that at least the other team mates can do damage

#222 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

Going to boat MRM's Posted Image

#223 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:54 AM

hmmm. 12 pages, and we never got the skinny on the OP's "half the damage of c lrms" statement (I went through looking just for that).

Just remember, as MSC (and others) have been pointing out - Good and Skilled LRM pilots are the exception to the rule.

That means on average, LRM pilots are not good and skilled. The exception to the rule is rare, and certainly less than the majority (or else it WOULD be the rule).

That also means, all things being equal, the odds of any particularly lrm pilot being that exception is Not Good.

This one time, I was mucking about in the ACH - i'd just gotten it and wasn't sure how I wanted to load it up. I ended up trying a narc on one of the variants. I had an amazing match. Narc'd one big target at a time consistently, LRM's on my team actually sought out that narc without any call outs, we rolled. It was great.

You know why I remember that one match? Because it was exceptional. The exception. You know what I don't bother remembering? All the times That Didn't Happen. It's also Worth Noting that I have yet to repeat that exceptional performance. There was a confluence of factors, certainly not the least of which being the opposing team not bothering to take out the ach strafing them to narc their lrms/assaults/etc.

It's like the current insistence so many "I know best" players have of bringing lightweight mechs to scouting mode (which should be renamed 'brawl with 50tonners' mode). I get that you do ok, or even pretty well, in your light mech in QP. FP Scouting is completely different. In all the scout mode drops I have done, I have only ONCE ever had an ACH pilot not only Hold his own, but hold everyone else's too. He was the only one left alive on our side, against three damaged enemies. That's not terribly hard to foresee - why would you waste time trying to nail that fast, comparatively weak ACH when the Splatcat or nova or hunchie is right there in front of you, dealing more damage, and easier to hit? Priorities.

But being that he was ach pilot par excellence, he managed to string out the remaining cored, over heated, and one legged (respectively) opponents for 1v1 engagement to steal a win.

Setting aside the question of "how would things have turned out with a heavier 4th" (because sure 6 spl is great, but so is 44 asrm), what he accomplished is not most pilots. That's even assuming he is able to do similarly on a regular basis.

Point is, for the one guy who wins the lottery, yes playing the lottery was a good choice for him. But he is not all the other people who have played multiple times and do not win. Don't mistake luck in doing things 'another way' for certainty. A bird in the hand IS better than two in the bush... that two in the bush is only better than one in the bush, or if you have a long tom in bound on the bush.

#224 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:35 AM

In psychology, the is something called the "Person Who" phenomenon... its what state and national lotteries are built on...

It is based on the principal that if something happened once, it can happen again, that odds/probability have little actual merit...

"I know a person who got 6 kills in one match with just LRMs"

"I know a guy that got 2000 damage with just LRMs in FP"

Note that while either of these statements could be entirely true, they don't provide details of the percentage of such games people have.

...granted this just applies to some people, others don't care if they win or lose, they are just trying to make a buck farming damage... undermining the efforts of those that want to win.

Edited by MovinTarget, 18 April 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#225 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Precisely yes. It is why, as you noted, the 'slogan' for many state lottery is "Someone has to win, why not you?".

Because it is true: someone WILL win. That is a true statement. Much like when businesses run raffles, or drawings, etc, they have, in fact, already put down the money for the prizes.

The more relevant issue is which Somebody out of How Many Someones. That figure, in most random draws of all kinds, is astronomical. I could bet Diamonds against Dimes a person wont win and come out a millionaire for the cost of a $10k rock. Which, as it turns out, is precisely why businesses run those promotions. You have to buy the right wonka bar? Well, trillions of those babies are going to sell, and at a profit of X each. Even if I offer a measly million, i'm making out 1000:1. It's like printing money.

So yes, those amazing players do exist (as MisSC has pointed out, repeatedly, over 12 pages). Is it you? Odds are pretty good it isn't.

edit: I dont mean that last statement directed at Movin'; as I say, I've gone through the 12 pages =p

Edited by Jingseng, 18 April 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#226 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

S'okay, I suck at lurmz ;)

#227 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

Didn´t your mother tell you:

Don´t suck at things if don´t know where they´ve been before?

#228 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 245 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 08 January 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

They are detrimental to the team on almost every single map and unless you are dropping with several friends don't bring them. Period. They cost too much weight compared to clan counterparts and clanners will dodge them at range every single time.

Just. Stop.

Even an AC2 boat is better than that **** when you're dropping solo.

what do you care..... Your Clan

#229 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 245 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:10 AM

I do agree that you should not bring LRM boats to FW unsupported by a team. But I also believe that LRM's have their place in FW.

A Skilled LRM pilot can be an asset to any team IS or Clan.

And just because Clan LRMs are better does not really diminish their usefulness.

That said I do not like "LRM Boats". I use LRM hybrids. One of the best combos I have come across is ER PPC's and LRM's. The PPC will negate ECM when it hits and then hit them with the LRMs as well especially if you have the adv target module. I have had great success with this technique as well as others.

Well I said my piece.

Posted Image

#230 Mannson

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Lemme put my twocents..

LRMS are great fire support tool, especially IS lurms. With creative chainfiring (Chainfire when there's no near target) and target facing just the right way, you can keep on periodically blurring the view of the target with constant barrage of explosion puke, making it harder for the target to properly aim their weapons. True reason why my jaeger has some lurming.
Also, when you are not in range of direct fire weapons, it's nice to lob LRMS (though in that case the better solution would be dropping the lrms and either bolt in more armor or get better engine)

But then there's LRM boating that just takes too much effort and set up to work to be viable. You definitely need NARC and even TAG just to make those salvos count.

Ah, one of the most beautiful sights I had witnessed FW was the time I was on my raven with Narc, running to check on our base being captured, seeing a lonely kodiak. Managed to put a narc on it and ohmy. Even the Kodiak just stopped and stood still as huge hail of LRMs behind the hills came his way.

Some things are just too beautiful even if they are not effective... That is why I keep atleast one narc in my dropdeck, because no matter how much the LRM hate and (valid) points made against them, there'll be always a mech with LRMs

#231 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

For Siege and other battle modes. . . yes. Bring the LRMs.

For scouting . . . no.

#232 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostJingseng, on 18 April 2017 - 01:54 AM, said:

You know why I remember that one match? Because it was exceptional. The exception. You know what I don't bother remembering? All the times That Didn't Happen. It's also Worth Noting that I have yet to repeat that exceptional performance. There was a confluence of factors, certainly not the least of which being the opposing team not bothering to take out the ach strafing them to narc their lrms/assaults/etc.

Just wanted to say, I love this comment.

#233 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

I don't see that much LRMs in the air from IS side. Either they are not getting much locks or they don't have that much LRM boats. I see few like trial Stalkers but not that much.

#234 UrbanTechBro

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

Unless Yall are paying for peoples account they can bring what they want period all you so called ''experts" need to Sit down and Be humble...

#235 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostMrLT912, on 07 May 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Unless Yall are paying for peoples account they can bring what they want period all you so called ''experts" need to Sit down and Be humble...

Everyone can bring whatever they want, no matter how stupid or incompetent. Nobody said otherwise. However given that it's a team game and people making bad choices gimps the rest of their team then absolutely, people will point out when teammates do something bone headed. Like bring bad builds.

Expert is a term for people who are good at something. We have a leaderboard that helps indicate that. Yes, absolutely there are experts at this game. There's experts for everything.

Nobody has to 'sit down and be humble'. People can be bad all they want. Other people can point out that they're bad. Hopefully other people watching will see and learn from it and fewer people will make that mistake in the future. There's no expectation that people who are bad will stop being bad just because someone pointed it out. The hope is that a few people who might otherwise have ended up as bads might see good advice and the facts pointed out and take a better route. For which we all benefit.

#236 fuzzylogic01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

i'm not a huge fan of LRMs.
But!!!
They have their place. it is a support weapon designed to soften and harass while closing range with the enemy for brawler's direct fire penetration.

I actually carry a LRM 5 on some mechs just to make my enemy duck while I close in.

Edited by fuzzylogic01, 13 May 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#237 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:03 AM

https://mwomercs.com...new-meta-found/

I can't talk to this guy, Mischief you wanna have a go? =p

#238 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

I'll take a shot at it. Bads gonna bad.

#239 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'm not really in a position to say too much, but lurms make a great tertiary weapon system for slow mechs.

#240 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 08 January 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

They are detrimental to the team on almost every single map and unless you are dropping with several friends don't bring them. Period. They cost too much weight compared to clan counterparts and clanners will dodge them at range every single time.

Just. Stop.

Even an AC2 boat is better than that **** when you're dropping solo.

Then tell me OP why for the last 2 weeks I have played FP on the IS side I see very few missile boats but on the clan side I see tons of CLAN MISSLE BOATS that make it look like LURMAGGEDON5 every battle?

This is what it looks like from the IS side as CLANS rain missiles on us .

Posted Image

Edited by KingCobra, 15 June 2017 - 01:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users