#41 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 13 January 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Hands down the Javelin

Jake Burton says the check's in the mail.

Although to me it's second only to the FireMoth, I'd love to have the Javelin. In previous threads I've explained how it would be a top tier light very fast due to likely hardpoints and other features.

#42 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostTercieI, on 13 January 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

LOL. You suck. Spill it. Posted Image

I'm sorry! It's really not my intention to troll you, but I wanted to show my appreciation. It really is fun to read your speculation, which is also very informative. My opinion was asked when deciding this mech, and the one selected turned out to be my top suggestion.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you. I love drawing these mechs we all care deeply about, and wouldn't dream of jeopardizing that.
I can tell you that I've got some content ready for a kind of livestream once this mech is announced, and I'm able to share part of my process creating it.

View PostBrenden, on 13 January 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Hi Mark.

Hi Brenden!

#43 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

Then we wait.

#44 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 13 January 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I can't tell you. I love drawing these mechs we all care deeply about, and wouldn't dream of jeopardizing that.
I can tell you that I've got some content ready for a kind of livestream once this mech is announced, and I'm able to share part of my process creating it.
;

I can't wait.

Posted Image

A light mech is a light mech, no matter what faction. I'm eager for it.

#45 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

I'm sorry! It's really not my intention to troll you, but I wanted to show my appreciation. It really is fun to read your speculation, which is also very informative. My opinion was asked when deciding this mech, and the one selected turned out to be my top suggestion.

Hi Brenden!

God I want to turn in a few of my designs for some 'Mechs I cooked up, but I have a feeling if I did, it'd melt your brains with how awful they are.

#46 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hoping for Stinger/Wasp! Okay, am REALLY hoping for Valkyrie but would be content having that as a hero. Posted Image

#47 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 13 January 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

I can't wait.

Posted Image

A light mech is a light mech, no matter what faction. I'm eager for it.

I know, I like piloting clan mechs more, and yet when a mech I've modelled is released, I attempt to play it exclusively for a month or so.

View PostBrenden, on 13 January 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

God I want to turn in a few of my designs for some 'Mechs I cooked up, but I have a feeling if I did, it'd melt your brains with how awful they are.

1. feel free to go post them in fan art if you like, the worst that will happen is that no one will comment, but I'll see them.
2. DO NOT STOP DRAWING. just go draw more, and more, and more. they'll get better with practice and time.

#48 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 13 January 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I know, I like piloting clan mechs more, and yet when a mech I've modelled is released, I attempt to play it exclusively for a month or so.

1. feel free to go post them in fan art if you like, the worst that will happen is that no one will comment, but I'll see them.
2. DO NOT STOP DRAWING. just go draw more, and more, and more. they'll get better with practice and time.

"...worst that will happen is that no one will comment..." Mark Nicholson, 1/14/2017, New Light Is An Inner Sphere Light

Challenge Accepted

#49 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

Hi Mark, how hard was the process of choosing the upcoming Light 'Mech? I'm curious since Light is probably the most disadvantaged class, so PGI had to get it right in order for people to be interested and buy the 'Mech. Assuming that that's the sole reason for PGI and not other things like bringing certain 'Mechs into HBS' Battletech.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 13 January 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#50 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hi Brenden!

Mark with your influence can I ask what your price would be to lobby for the following light mechs: IS: Spector & Clan: Hellion. We can work out a convenient payment arrangement I am sure :)

#51 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

View PostBrenden, on 13 January 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

"...worst that will happen is that no one will comment..." Mark Nicholson, 1/14/2017, New Light Is An Inner Sphere Light

Challenge Accepted

'10 minutes later'

Cop handcuffing you: "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Mark confirmed as a Trueborn!

Posted Image

Deal with it, Inner Sphere!

I do have a genuine question though. I know this has probably been answered before, but what sort of man hours are put into just modeling mechs? I thought about getting into basic 3D design a long time ago, but damn is that stuff complex, and I have nowhere near enough patience to do what you guys do.

Edited by RestosIII, 13 January 2017 - 10:49 PM.

#52 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

I still hope for the Mongoose, but I would take most IS lights. :)

#53 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 13 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

'10 minutes later'

Cop handcuffing you: "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law."

Posted Image

I do have a genuine question though. I know this has probably been answered before, but what sort of man hours are put into just modeling mechs? I thought about getting into basic 3D design a long time ago, but damn is that stuff complex, and I have nowhere near enough patience to do what you guys do.

I once got arrested at my high school for painting "LCAF RULES" with a spray can on a bare wall. They told us we could paint it, but since no one outside of the Mechwarrior club knew what the LCAF is, they thought it was a gang-thing.
Fun times.

#54 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

View PostBrenden, on 13 January 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

I once got arrested at my high school for painting "LCAF RULES" with a spray can on a bare wall. They told us we could paint it, but since no one outside of the Mechwarrior club knew what the LCAF is, they thought it was a gang-thing.
Fun times.

BRB gonna go to my old highschool and offer to sell students there HarJel. My bets are on cops being there in 5 minutes.

#55 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

Question Mark. Do you know if any of the current 30-35 tonners will get any durability/mobility buffs anytime soon? Lights were the only weightclass to not get any compensation quirks from the Rescale, and most of us Light pilots are quite tired of our favourite mechs being junk because of the lack of quirks on them.

#56 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 January 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

Question Mark. Do you know if any of the current 30-35 tonners will get any durability/mobility buffs anytime soon? Lights were the only weightclass to not get any compensation quirks from the Rescale, and most of us Light pilots are quite tired of our favourite mechs being junk because of the lack of quirks on them.

Pretty sure he's not really in the loop in regards to balance stuff. Just the wrong job for that to be headed his way.

#57 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

I bet it's the 25 ton Quadruped Tarantula!

I know i'm right!

#58 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:49 PM

New IS light means I'll have to reconfigure some omnis to field streak/spl boats for a couple weeks exclusively. Just because I can.

#59 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 January 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

I gave you an answer in the twitch stream earlier today, which is that I'll ask Paul, because yes, as some have pointed out, it's another department. It will also mean that any reply to this topic will be his.

View PostRestosIII, on 13 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

'10 minutes later'

I just like the blue hud more than amber ;)

Honestly, a LOT of time goes into making mechs. When I was around 12 or 13, I spent an entire saturday afternoon and evening sitting there, pouring over an orthographic drawing of an AT-ST from a star wars manual, and drawing it in 3d (sadly the file's been lost, or I'd post it). I could have been playing Duke Nukem 3D instead! So yeah, it's not so much patience as passion, but it's so very rewarding to see a mech when it's finished. Regarding time, we get about 7 weeks to take a concept and turn it into a game ready model with normal maps, weapons, and some technical odds and ends.

View PostKing Kahuna, on 13 January 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Mark with your influence can I ask what your price would be to lobby for the following light mechs: IS: Spector & Clan: Hellion. We can work out a convenient payment arrangement I am sure Posted Image

you can ask, but I'll remain consistent with my lobbying based on personal preference, what looks cool, having something new to bring, and making sure everyone will actually enjoy it. I've said before I'm partial to the Kraken/Bane 3.

View PostHit the Deck, on 13 January 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Hi Mark, how hard was the process of choosing the upcoming Light 'Mech? I'm curious since Light is probably the most disadvantaged class, so PGI had to get it right in order for people to be interested and buy the 'Mech. Assuming that that's the sole reason for PGI and not other things like bringing certain 'Mechs into HBS' Battletech.

It's not often I get asked for my opinion on mech choice. I thank that was part of it being a more serious discussion than normal. I also know that HBS's mech pipline got locked in a while back. I was disappointed to learn that my Assassin wouldn't make it into their game when I talked to them at MechCon. The assassin was the first IS mech I've modelled, thus my first chance to get a mech I made into their game.

#60 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:02 AM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 14 January 2017 - 12:00 AM, said:

I was disappointed to learn that my Assassin wouldn't make it into their game when I talked to them at MechCon. The assassin was the first IS mech I've modelled, thus my first chance to get a mech I made into their game.

Fingers crossed it gets added in a post-launch update!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users