Can We Get A Big Urban Map In 2017?

195 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

Surprising going into 2017 no mention of new maps or any other interesting content really. Hints here and there but no screens or hype.

#42 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 15 January 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Surprising going into 2017 no mention of new maps or any other interesting content really. Hints here and there but no screens or hype.

Mentioning that they're doing a tech advancement counts as "interesting" to me, at a minimum.

#43 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

Mentioning that they're doing a tech advancement counts as "interesting" to me, at a minimum.

No offense but talk is cheap. Where is the hype?

Concept art of new upcoming maps is the easiest to think of, but maybe concept art for the new weapons or what ever. Although the first page of this topic has great pics and is as much hype as this forum has seen in a while. :)

Hype level setting at minimum.

Edited by Johnny Z, 15 January 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#44 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

The problem is... all of the screenshots and videos in this thread only show a city no larger than River City in MWO.

I don't want those cities.

I want these cities.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Big City in MW4 was a great map. It even had a huge area of open parkland. If we had something similar in MWO, I would like it very much. I just hope PGI would avoid their usual chokepoints and mech-snagging clutter.

#46 D79

Rookie

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

I have a suggestion to improve the re-use of an urban map.

Those of use with a table-top gaming background will recognise a square or hex-tile board. Each tile is uniformally bordered and therefore can be rearranged or re orientated to create many more possibilities than a single map. Creating a library of urban environment tiles, each with a feature; high ground, stadium, spaceport, park, burning buildings etc, and then the match maker takes a set number and arranges them in a random grid sequence to create an environment. The tile borders could be roads or canals to ensure consistent height. A little extra work in the development stage could unlock a great deal of potential.

Benefits:
Efficient reuse of code, a unique map each time,gameplay benefits such as making scouting an useful activity as the enemy movements would not be scripted like other maps.

Just a thought...

#47 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

This game really needs that sense of scale.

#48 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

Multiple levels for JJ ambush party. But, yea, we need a mech where JJ get their tonnage worth of usage,
with buildings that allow more then just standing on. Heck i wouldnt mind garage big enough to let lights in...

#49 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 16 January 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

This game really needs that sense of scale.

Yeah. A city map would be great for this. Half the maps we have now seem designed to make the mechs feel man-sized. Or smaller, in the case of the horrible Forest Colony. Oh those trees...

#50 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 January 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

i for one think the maps are too flat. hell forbid we get 2 or 3 levels of elevation, let alone a dozen. like kagoshima from living legends, now thats how you maximize vertical space. the only map that really tries to do anything about this is new frozen city, but a single deep valley does not a good tierd map design make.

Don't get me wrong, I usually love vertical action in games. Its just a bit iffy in MWO because
1) High mounts give a massive advantage around ramps and low objects. Something to consider since low mount mechs are very much a part of MechWarrior.
2) The fact you have to guess where the targets are behind your mini-map if you shoot down from ledges. Hit-boxes on ledges tend to be way too big as well. Multi-level maps could be awesome if PGI makes vertical play more elegant than it is.

What I was really referring to though is a HPG wall type situation where nearly invisible ER-L/PPC snipers can get away with murder until the timer expires.

#51 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

Needs to have a variety of encounter area, to stop the map from being coming BrawlWarriors Online.

A large central park can be the focal point of the map, with small uneven terrain.
Main streets where mechs can have a showdown at 700m.
Elevated platform for LRMboat to rain with impunity.
A water way that cut through the city from spawn to spawn, deep enough for small light and medium to submerge and move undetected.

#52 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostThe Amazing Atomic Spaniel, on 16 January 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

Yeah. A city map would be great for this. Half the maps we have now seem designed to make the mechs feel man-sized. Or smaller, in the case of the horrible Forest Colony. Oh those trees...

The scale and realism to the maps has improved a lot. Lamp posts being knocked over and trees. When the rest of the maps are improved the scene will be quite good and maybe more improvements in the future.

Someone mentioned having huge maps or other times mentioned open world.

MechWarrior Online went the right route without any doubt because with this design they can provide excellent detailed massive battles. Not only number of players and explosions but also NPC tanks or what ever additions are to come.

Games like Star Citizen simply cannot provide that without offering maps similar to Mechwarriors(instanced)... At least not for quite a while when those graphics and mechanics are not so demanding on computers and it will be a while.

So MechWarrior Online designing their game with instances in mind is way better than having an open world(larger undemanding instances) with a few really really bad "arenas" for pvp like basically every other online game has done.

So anyway its looking really good.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 January 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#53 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

only cowards or infantry fight in city's -> want more cavalry maps like polar

#54 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

View Postxengk, on 16 January 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

Needs to have a variety of encounter area, to stop the map from being coming BrawlWarriors Online.
A large central park can be the focal point of the map, with small uneven terrain.
Main streets where mechs can have a showdown at 700m.
Elevated platform for LRMboat to rain with impunity.
A water way that cut through the city from spawn to spawn, deep enough for small light and medium to submerge and move undetected.

Personally, I don't want a map with a "focal point", because all the worst maps in MWO have "focal points" and it's boring as hell. I'm sick to death with fighting over Citadel, Platform, Caldera, etc. I'd like more maps like Polar Highlands, where there's no real focal point and fighting can take place just about anywhere.

Narrow water ways or subways for light mechs to move through would be great, if PGI could manage it. But you also need to think about what happens if a light mech starts camping in a place that is inaccessible to bigger mechs with 10 minutes left on the clock. I'm not saying it's impossible now, but it's a lot harder to do.

#55 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:39 AM

Yes please I want a large city map.

#56 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostN0MAD, on 15 January 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Dream on..

That's what I told people who were dreaming about 3060-tech, until a few days ago.

Sometimes stuff happens.

#57 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

2017's really starting on a high note, especially with the new tech sending a clear signal that we're not "on life support" in anticipation of MW5:M.

Yeah, as it is, my #1 wish is new maps. Gameplay variety in quick play (where 90+% of the play takes place) is pretty much the most important thing for the longevity of this game. Can't think of a more surefire way to add variety than a good new map.

Though as a corollary, need to REMOVE THE MAP VOTING. I really hate that they did all the work to rework Mordor, and now it's actually nice. And we never get to play it. That 90% of games is on a handful of maps is literally making me play less.

#58 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:55 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

That, and the MW4:Mercs mission to help the one planetary council get off-planet for free. God that mission was fun.

Posted Image

#59 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

While I like the idea, it might not end up being so great without some real destructible terrain (buildings).

#60 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

View PostRed Shrike, on 16 January 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

I would actually buy a mech pack if we got a map like this. Or give one to the community as a contest.

Edited by Tristan Winter, 16 January 2017 - 04:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users