Poll: Inner Sphere Omnimechs - Your Picks

91 replies to this topic

#1 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

So, with a timeline advancement, Inner Sphere Omnimechs seems like a real possibility. In other threads asking for player preference, Omnimechs have been going up against Battlemechs - In this one, let's just keep in to the Omnimechs. So - In each tonnage bracket, which Omnimech would you like to see first?

For the sake of this thread, we'll have a few rules.
  • Inner Sphere Omnimechs, obviously
  • Only Omnimechs produced prior to the Jihad (3067)
So, what do you guys really want? And of course, feel free to discuss!

POLL LINK

Light Omnimechs
Arctic Fox
Owens
Raptor

Medium Omnimechs
Blackjack (Omnimech)
Men Shen
Firestarter (Omnimech)
Strider

Heavy Omnimechs
Black Hawk-KU
Perseus

Assault Omnimechs
Hauptmann
Sunder
Templar

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Light: Raptor. The Owens is heavily gimped by construction rules and the Arctic Fox is just a crappier Kit Fox.

Medium: Men Shen I guess? The Blackjack Omnimech is way too slow for its class. The Strider is heavily gimped by construction rules. The Firestarter Omnimech is just mediocre.

Heavy: Black Hawk KU. Perseus has all the mediocrity of the Orion and then some, while the Avatar is going to have hitbox issues pretty badly.

Assault: Sunder. Hauptmann is too slow with a hardlocked STD engine. Templar might be too limited in critslots for the 40 tons of pod space that it has.

Edited by FupDup, 16 January 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#3 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Classic battletech over obscure designs that only look good on paper. Avatar, Sunder, Strider, Owens.

MW3 Baby.

Edited by Garfuncle, 16 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 16 January 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

Classic battletech over obscure designs that only look good on paper. Avatar, Sunder, Strider, Owens.

The Strider and Owens don't look good (statistically) on paper or any other media.

#5 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

Of the ones you give, I'd have to say the Templar (I like her the best, plus 10 variants of mean!). Black Hawk KU could be decent, Avatar needs a total overhaul in the art department to not be a total wash, while the Perseus would suffer like an Orion does with an XL engine. For Mediums, I think the Men Shen would be best, all other run from bad (Strider) to meh (Blackjack) to maybe decent (Firestarter)... Lights also run from bad (Owens) to meh (Arctic Fox) to maybe decent (Raptor)...

#6 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

The Strider and Owens don't look good (statistically) on paper or any other media.

They're classic Battletech. First gen IS omnimechs, kickin' Clan *** from Luthien to Huntress. Give IS omni's fixed engines but customizable equipment/upgrades and bam. No more problemo.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

i hate to say it but i really like the owens. its pretty much an omni-jenner that is capable of carrying electronic warfare gear.

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 16 January 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

They're classic Battletech. First gen IS omnimechs, kickin' Clan *** from Luthien to Huntress. Give IS omni's fixed engines but customizable equipment/upgrades and bam. No more problemo.

That's basically an admission that the Strider and Owens are bad on their own merits, if they have to have their base chassis fully unlocked to be usable.

Owens: SHS, no Endo, no Ferro, lots of stuff like TAG, BAP, and C3 hardwired in

Strider: STD engine, double hardwired CASE, SHS, no Ferro (but not as big of a deal in this case)

Edited by FupDup, 16 January 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#9 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

People voting purely on performance perplex me. People want icons, not obscurities. I, and most other's, don't care what will be meta cheese. It's why I grabbed the 'Wacker without caring about hitboxes/hardpoints. It's why a lot of people do the same damn thing with any mech that's iconic enough.

#10 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Don't really want any of them, but only the Sunder, and the Black Hawk Ku are worth introducing

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostGarfuncle, on 16 January 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

People voting purely on performance perplex me. People want icons, not obscurities. I, and most other's, don't care what will be meta cheese. It's why I grabbed the 'Wacker without caring about hitboxes/hardpoints. It's why a lot of people do the same damn thing with any mech that's iconic enough.

The thing is that mechs with performance that is too low will be obscure in-game by virtue of being useless.

The Bushwacker at least has a fighting chance due to Battlemech customization rules. The Strider and Owens don't.

#12 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hmmm, most of these seem pretty good. Although, the Omni-Firestarter would probably replace the PHX, if only by sheer flexibility, similar to how the Perseus would replace the Orion.

Edited by Requiemking, 16 January 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

The Strider was golden during MW4 Mektek 2.1a days thanks to its tanky hitboxes and ability to mount 3 LL. That said it won't have the heat dissipation capabilities in MWO because of locked SHS so sadly my nostalgia is killed right there.
The Owens was a great c3 spotter/tagger for the BV, especially during the jihad when you can use the ECM variant to help deal with the prevalence of ECM of the time period to deal with C3 systems. The Strider can be useful but I'm not as big of a fan of it. Both mechs are only really useful thanks to BV though so they don't translate very well.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#14 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Artic fox, Firestarter, Black Hawk Ku, Hauptman.
Artic is a IS Kity fox, slow but with decent punch.
Firestarter omni is realy good upgrade of standard design, its nimble has JJ, has dhs, endo.
Black Hawk much the same, not as nimble but still very respectable for 60 tonner.
Hauptman, its a IS Dire, it lacks endo, but otherwise really durable mech, got ecm and JJ, even ultra 20.

#15 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 January 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

The Strider was golden during MW4 Mektek 2.1a days thanks to its tanky hitboxes and ability to mount 3 LL. That said it won't have the heat dissipation capabilities in MWO because of locked SHS so sadly my nostalgia is killed right there.

You also don't have the pod space for that anyways (somewhere around ~11 tons when you max the armor) and MW4 made Omnimechs have the same customization rules as Battlemechs for the most part (only difference being a few Omni hardpoints).

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 January 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

The Owens was a great c3 spotter/tagger for the BV, especially during the jihad when you can use the ECM variant to help deal with the prevalence of ECM of the time period to deal with C3 systems. The Strider can be useful but I'm not as big of a fan of it. Both mechs are only really useful thanks to BV though so they don't translate very well.

Using the phrase "for the BV" pretty clearly means that it was in fact inferior to many other options on a 1:1 basis (which is the only basis that matters in a symmetrical game with fixed teams of 12v12).

It's still kind of funny that their lore descriptions say that they were upgrades of the Jenner and Cicada, even though they were sidegrades at best.

Edited by FupDup, 16 January 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#16 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

This is easy;

Owens,
Shen,
Perseus
Sunder

Edited by nehebkau, 16 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#17 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

You also don't have the pod space for that anyways (somewhere around ~11 tons when you max the armor) and MW4 made Omnimechs have the same customization rules as Battlemechs for the most part (only difference being a few Omni hardpoints).

Using the phrase "for the BV" pretty clearly means that it was in fact inferior to many other options on a 1:1 basis (which is the only basis that matters in a symmetrical game with fixed teams of 12v12).

It's still kind of funny that their lore descriptions say that they were upgrades of the Jenner and Cicada, even though they were sidegrades at best.

Well Fup considering the time that the Owens and Strider were introduced, the bulk of Jenners and Cicadas lacked things like DHS, FF and Endo, not to mention they were not as easy to repair, refit and rearm as the Owens and Strider in the field, so in that regard, yes they were upgrades to those mechs, how ever in practice (once you get an open mech lab with the construction rules we have) the Owens and Strider are both lacking compared to the Jenner and Cicada.

#18 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 January 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

I know, but that was part of my point.

View PostMetus regem, on 16 January 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Well Fup considering the time that the Owens and Strider were introduced, the bulk of Jenners and Cicadas lacked things like DHS, FF and Endo, not to mention they were not as easy to repair, refit and rearm as the Owens and Strider in the field, so in that regard, yes they were upgrades to those mechs, how ever in practice (once you get an open mech lab with the construction rules we have) the Owens and Strider are both lacking compared to the Jenner and Cicada.

^ This.

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Ok, have a chance to post mine.

Light Omnimech
Voted For - Owens
Best in Category - Raptor

I don't think there's much argument here - The Raptor is almost certainly the best option, and it's got some nice fluff. But I just love the Owens - I love it's compromised construction, it's Tech 1.5 nature, and nostalgia is strong with it.

It probably helps that I'm not a light mech pilot, though.

Medium Omnimech
Voted For - Strider
Best in Category - Men Shen

Like the Owens, the Striders nostalgia carries me, and I'd probably pilot the Strider, even though it would probably be... poor. The Men Shen is undoubtedly a better choice - It has poor pod space for its weight, but some pretty good hard points, including ECM, the ability to boat energy weapons effectively, and as far as locked equipment goes, there are things a lot worse then BAP and MASC. But I love the Strider too much for my own good.

Also, the Men Shen is a Liao machine, and thus vile.

Heavy Omnimech
Voted For - Avatar
Best in Category - Not the Perseus

I have very little love for any of the heavy Omnimech choices, and none of them are fantastic, so it came down to the one that I like in concept most (The Perseus, Orion 2.0), and the one I have a tiny amount of nostalgia for (The Avatar). The Avatar wins out because it's essentially a flat Mad Dog, a decent Clan mech, and is far superior to the Orion redux when it comes to general shape and other physical characteristics.

Assault Omnimech
Voted For - Sunder
Best in Category - Debatable

The Sunder is my go to Omnimech - It makes some design compromises, but overall it's a solid, sexy machine. The Templar and the Hauptmann are actually decent designs as well - The Assault category is easily the best overall. But I just have to give it to my baby.

Edited by Bombast, 16 January 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#20 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Light - Raptor...duh.

Medium - Blackjack-O...because all the guns.

Heavy - Blackhawk-KU...because all the guns and all the speed.

Assault - Sunder...because it is a tower of pain and suffering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users