145 replies to this topic

#21 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:22 PM

Its not meant to be used as a heavier medium. Its more a light hunter like the Cicada. Its biggest asset is mobility, use it to get into favorable positiions to open up armor and get them crit seeking machine guns taking down enemy guns and equipment.

Playing it like you would a heavier medium is disingenuous.

#22 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

bringing an assault in this tonnage is a bad idea currently.

#23 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

View PostDr Decal, on 18 January 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Except its overinvested on jumpjets... it could have half as many jumpjets and see no noticeable difference in capabilities.
Also taking that viper up against 4x Hunchie 4SP, or Shadow Hawks or Griffins... not so much fun.
If my opinion means anything I'd say the Ice Ferret is the best scouting chassis that clans have. has the tankiness and firepower to compete with IS mediums, and the speed to chase down that one light that always runs away.

Take an Ice Ferret against Griffins is not so much fun either. Thus the reason for trying to achieve 245 Tons. So I can drop 3 65 ton mechs and a competent 50 ton mech.

#24 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Have you tried the ferret? It has the same alpha as the griffin (assuming its an SRM24 Griffin, which most are) 0.36 of a damage point lower but may as well be the same.
(2xsrm6+4SPL), moves faster, has more structure, better twist radius and faster twist speed, doesn't die on xl loss. I kill griffins with this build in scouting en masse.

Or if you think the 45 tonners are sub par, how about running a 65/65/55/55 deck. You'll get good mileage out of a 1Lpl/4ERML SCR
It has a little less fire power than the jag, but its hit boxes are much better and is a little faster. I find that the extra surviveability in the SCR sees me doing about the same damage as i do in an EBJ despite the lower alpha. I don't buy any of the arguments you've presented as to why you *need* five more tonnes. Balance is good as it is.

Edited by Stormie, 19 January 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#25 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

lmao ice ferret is on par with Griffin. ok stormie, why don't you drop ship bear back to liao forum.

balance is good as it is? except it makea taking an assault a terrible option if you hate your group members. severely undertonned on the last wave.

#26 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostStormie, on 19 January 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Have you tried the ferret? It has the same alpha as the griffin (assuming its an SRM24 Griffin, which most are) 0.36 of a damage point lower but may as well be the same.
(2xsrm6+4SPL), moves faster, has more structure, better twist radius and faster twist speed, doesn't die on xl loss. I kill griffins with this build in scouting en masse.

Or if you think the 45 tonners are sub par, how about running a 65/65/55/55 deck. You'll get good mileage out of a 1Lpl/4ERML SCR
It has a little less fire power than the jag, but its hit boxes are much better and is a little faster. I find that the extra surviveability in the SCR sees me doing about the same damage as i do in an EBJ despite the lower alpha. I don't buy any of the arguments you've presented as to why you *need* five more tonnes. Balance is good as it is.

Did you just compare and ice ferret to the Ebon jag? Now I know you are 100 percent full of ****.

#27 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 18 January 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Kodiaks are not nearly as good as the used to be. They have been nerfed pretty much into the ground. Also any organized team will just concentrate fire on a Kodiak anyways. No your more likely to see Mad2c before kodiaks. I personally wont run any assaults until we move back to 250.

Kodiaks have hardly been nerfed, The four UAC10 build suffers more heat, but that does not nerf the mech.

As some one who targets and kills KDK's everyday the issue is not the mech but how people pilot it. KDK's (3's and sniper builds) overwhelmingly fail to torso twist because they are trying to sling more damage down field or because they have reduced the engine rating from 400 but the mech lacks torso twist quirks. Splat KDKs still perform quite well, but people keep packing on UACs and ERLLs that make it easy to target components.

#28 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostCato Zilks, on 19 January 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Kodiaks have hardly been nerfed, The four UAC10 build suffers more heat, but that does not nerf the mech.

As some one who targets and kills KDK's everyday the issue is not the mech but how people pilot it. KDK's (3's and sniper builds) overwhelmingly fail to torso twist because they are trying to sling more damage down field or because they have reduced the engine rating from 400 but the mech lacks torso twist quirks. Splat KDKs still perform quite well, but people keep packing on UACs and ERLLs that make it easy to target components.

they removed the structure quirks in the torsos. if you field that much tonnage and get rekt on the first wave, you suck and you ****** your group over.

and there is a good chance of that happening as you see 1500+ meter is blue lazers remove your components in about .6 seconds of burn time

#29 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Add they added structure to other KDKs, the 3 was over quirked at first. Even now, it is still the top assault in the game bar-none. It is not a nerfed mech.

#30 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 19 January 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Add they added structure to other KDKs, the 3 was over quirked at first. Even now, it is still the top assault in the game bar-none. It is not a nerfed mech.

the kdk 3 has no structure quirks and if you take that and a light over an ebon and a medium, then you are hurting your team whish is already down 300 tons.

#31 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

you are also speaking on a mech that requires face tanking to put damage down range. in fw this is known as a mistake.

#32 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

I think the funniest part about fighting clans is the poor use of the mechs that are available.
Run 4 of these:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2b11b9312a4e14

with 8 of these:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7c5c5fac3aa960e

for two waves. You can roll just about everybody with this kind of deck. If you KDK-SBs and HMN-PAs this only gets nastier. Clanners have THE BEST BRAWL BUILDs, but routinely fail to utilize them. Tonnage is not the problem.

View Postebolachan, on 19 January 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

you are also speaking on a mech that requires face tanking to put damage down range. in fw this is known as a mistake.

No, you insist on not adapting build strategy to the realities in the field.

#33 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 19 January 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

I think the funniest part about fighting clans is the poor use of the mechs that are available.
Run 4 of these:

with 8 of these:

for two waves. You can roll just about everybody with this kind of deck. If you KDK-SBs and HMN-PAs this only gets nastier. Clanners have THE BEST BRAWL BUILDs, but routinely fail to utilize them. Tonnage is not the problem.

No, you insist on not adapting build strategy to the realities in the field.

haha oh wow wait your serious let me laugh harder.

#34 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

https://s-media-cach...21a05aacb95.jpg

you never go full huntsman. not when there is a nova or hbk2c.

and the first time you pull out your super srm huntsman a quirked bmster or ghopper will blow you away from 1500 m.

and why take a kdk3 when you can mad 2c? that kdk3 build is terrible.

Edited by ebolachan, 19 January 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#35 f00lish1

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 19 January 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Run 4 of these:

with 8 of these:

I wouldn't consider the Huntsman as an available mech that people are foolish for underutilizing, seeing as how it is a premium mech that is behind a paywall at the moment. Also a brawl assault with a CT the size of an office building that moves less than 70 kph should be absolutely torn apart by the IS meta laser vomit.

The spirit bear is good because it has MASC, this Kodiak-3 does not.

View Postebolachan, on 19 January 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

the kdk 3 has no structure quirks and if you take that and a light over an ebon and a medium, then you are hurting your team whish is already down 300 tons.

And who said anything about bringing an assault light combo. It's all about that 100/45/45/45 god-tier gauss/ppc cold map drop deck.

#36 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

lmao yeah maybe but i would rather spend tonnage on a less targeted mech in longrange fw. the milage you get with this **** dd tonage is etter spent elsewhere.

#37 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Guys, we've been looking at this wrong the entire time! it isn't the mechs that's the problem, it BNB's perception of relative skill.
Because they either over estimate themselves or underestimate their opponents, or both, they think a skill imbalance is a tech imbalance.

Exhibit A - Their glorious leader
600 dmg in a stomp like that, AND died twice?
(for full disclosure my 'salt' was suggesting maybe he shouldn't run a streakcrow with the IS having as much tonnage as they do)
Posted Image

Exhibit B - Their whole squad
(I'm sure they only failed to win due to massive tonnage advantages on the IS side...)
Posted Image

Ghost Bear's premier unit right there...

Edited by Stormie, 20 January 2017 - 09:47 PM.

#38 KODIAK-AU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Also as a quick note if you guys spent more time trying to learn to play instead of whinging you could be a better unit, but until you realize that learning to adapt is a greater strategy than QQ IS op we need more tonnage, you will lose more games like this.

Edited by IrvoDactyl, 20 January 2017 - 10:17 PM.

#39 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Congrats on your win. Same night I was in a puggie group that beat a full srot group and a 8 man awol group. **** happens. Enjoy your one and only win against us ever.

#40 KODIAK-AU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

This is from when I was still with CGBI and known as "The Kodiak", proven wrong once again.

Posted Image

Edited by IrvoDactyl, 20 January 2017 - 10:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users