Ask The Devs 11!

124 replies to this topic

#21 Jost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Two questions - are you considering either or both of the following:

1) Once we have the ability to launch as a group, the time/ability to select a mech based on the group you'll be launching with? I'm not asking for mech selection after seeing the map, just so we can coordinate roles.

2) The ability to mark one of your team so you can more easily follow them and regroup with them? I imagine that it would be really hard to keep track of a lance leader while spinning and dancing and shooting and running and jumping and ducking. I think I'd like to be able to just click on a teammate from some popup list of team-mates.

Edited by Jost, 20 July 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#22 Hokek

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

maybe this time:
Could u give some precise informations about hauses?
fe:
house XYZ
spec weapon:...
elite mech:...
effects:.... (like +10% of money ect)
This could help in plan a strategy

#23 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Will Eyefinity, CrossfireX, SLI and other possible technologies be tested within the beta or will they be implemented at a later date?

#24 SKiD07

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have a question on role warfare. Is it possible to switch roles once one role has been selected or is it possible to develop skills in two different roles?

The reason for this question is that it may not always be possible to be in the appropriate 'mech for any given match due to weight limitations or there being too many of one type on a team necessitating a change in role to keep the team stable without sacrificing hard earned skills in another role.

Also, as far as 'mech warfare is concerned, how is damage handled with the legs of a mech?

In Mechwarrior 2 if a 'mech lost a leg it could still move forward on one leg by hopping but at a slower pace and could not move in reverse, however, in Mechwarrior 3 as a 'mech's leg was damaged it would eventually affect the performance of the leg on the 'mech's speed till it was blown off which at that point would cause the 'mech to become unbalanced in fall over, while in Mechwarrior 4 if a 'mech's leg was "destroyed" it would still be there causing the mech to drag the crippled leg.

Also, I believe in the Battletech simulators that Virtual World offered at its venues back in '94 (been a long while) it was possible to have both legs blown off and still be in the game without the ability to move or rotate the torso forcing you to have to eject or kindly ask someone to come find you and finish you off.

I was also thinking of another gameplay element, Economic Warfare, that could make things interesting later down the road. The idea would be to affect a faction's supply of readily available hardware and 'mechs by cutting off supply lines or capturing depots providing a small bonus to the attacking faction increasing the availability of the type of supplies that was captured in the faction's stores. Might make raiding beneficial aspect of the game for those with less time on their hands. Would the game studio consider something like this as long as it didn't throw off the balance of the game?

#25 Allied

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

QUESTION:

I noticed that MWO implements lasers as a steady beam of light. When you fire this movable beam, how is the damage applied? Is it entirely upfront (only the initial hit matters), applied evenly over time. (100% of the damage if your beam remains on the enemy the entire duration, and 50% damage if you lose tracking half way through the laser cycle), or is it more of an exponential curve (the initial hit counts the most, but to gain the full 100% damage you must remain tracking the target)?

I have read several Dev posts about this topic and how lasers were implemented this way for balancing and differentiation between ballistics. Could this be further explained?

Posts on the subject:

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 14 March 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Now, how will you depict Standard Lasers/Pulse Lasers in MWO? –GB_Krubarax
[DAVID]A standard laser fires a continuous beam that applies damage over time while it remains on. A pulse laser fires a continuous beam that blinks on and off. (Not the blaster bolt style of light ‘bullets’ that fly at the target.) Damage is applied in short bursts each time the laser blinks on.

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 25 June 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Q: Is PGI aware that the canon laser firing mode is a burst of light over a fraction of a second as opposed to what we see in your many vids, a beam lasting up to two seconds long? [KageRyuu]
A: Yes, we are aware of this. It is done as a balancing mechanic. This was done to differentiate Laser and Ballistic weapons, as Lasers need to be held on target, yet Autocannons simply 'hit' an area. [GARTH]

Edited by Allied, 20 July 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#26 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Will the Narc beacon improve accuracy of missiles? Currently missiles launched hit a general area instead of all hitting the mech in the same manner as "rain" as seen from early gameplay videos.

#27 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

1) How is it going with joystick/controller compatibility? Any feedback from beta-testers about particular models being used and any issues?

2) Can you elaborate on information displayed when a reticule is over a target? What kind of info is relayed to any mech regarding a target? What extra info do scouts receive and are modules still affecting target information?

#28 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Not sure if that has been asked on some "ask the dev" before

1) The unseen; a never ending central hub of speculation; are these being implemented? now? later? as "premium" mechs?
2) Do you have a Change Log where and how you deviate from the TT rules and care to share with us?
3) role warfare is quite an innovative idea would you care to elaborate on the general direction we are currently heading and what we have to endure maybe.
4) What do you plan to do against people who are AFK the entire battle?
5) Can I kick or smash cars (for those special moments...)
6) Plans on a buyable cockpit beer cooler maybe in form of an openable urbie? (cools down in the heat of the battle if you click it)
7) not excatly a dev question. Russ you look on your photo as if you have not slept for weeks, care to share your keep awake secret with us?
8) what hardware will you be using for the server? and is it already delivered? installed? running?
9) what can we do to actually support MWO except of course throwing large amounts of money at Piranya?

#29 Riin Suul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

since some of the redesigns are so drastic (looking at the centurion) is it possible that we will see the unseen?
I mean, if the centurion had been unseen, I am SURE that would have been enough of a redesign to get it legal.

#30 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Will the THG-11E Thug and its variants appear next in Mechwarrior Online?

Edited by Will9761, 20 July 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#31 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostJacob Davion, on 20 July 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

The hardpoint system in appliance to the Banshee. There are no weapons on its arms. That being said, does that mean I can mount any weapons on there that I like? :) Or no weapons at all? :(

So far, the videos and screenshots shown of the mechlab seem to indicate that weapon hardpoints are only in parts of the mech where weapons are normally located for that specific variant. As such, I would expect a mech without arm weapons to be without hardpoints there as well... but it would be up to the Devs.

Further, I would note that the Banshee has not been announced as being in the game... so it may well be a moot point :D

#32 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

My question, based on a thread over in Suggestions:

Q) Are Double Heatsinks currently implemented in the Beta? If so, how are they obtained / balanced? If not, are they still planned to be implemented for launch... and any details on how?

#33 Neil the Scorpion

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

I am interested to know what sort of "killboard" style features mechwarrior online will have. Will there be built in battle reports showing what you killed and who killed you, etc.?

To get some ideas of what is possible a popular website called battleclinic.com tracks kill information and statistics for many games.

Eve Online recently updated their kill report system, information on it can be had in their dev blogs.

thanks in advance.

#34 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

As we have seen the LRM are semi guided and at the description of an average day in beta we could read that you may evade some LRM if you shut down your mech...

So my question is. Is it also possible to evade the LRM with pure speed or jump away?

As it seems at the videos the LRM have a kind of ballistic trajectory. So if they are on the way down and you have a light mech e.g. the spider. Is it possible to jump out of the way?

#35 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Are the current random beta key invitations for founders truely random, or is the data we entered regarding our computer systems taken into consideration as a weighting factor?

#36 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostWill9761, on 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Will the THG-11E Thug and its variants appear next in Mechwarrior Online?

Aw, now if they go and answer this then they will spoil one of the upcoming Mech reveals... :)

#37 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on 20 July 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Aw, now if they go and answer this then they will spoil one of the upcoming Mech reveals... :(

Do you really believe they would answer such a question? ;)

Question:

I'd like to ask more about the customisation of weapons on our mech.

As you may've noticed, we started trying to build mechs we would make once we get into the game. However, even after the Dev Blog, we're still pretty blind on what can be done and what can't. One such good example is a normal Catapult C1, which turns the 2 medium lasers on both sides of the torso into PPCs, changes the LRMs to 5 and stripping off the JJ, making it a better K2.

And so I'd like to ask for a little better insight into the hardpoints themselves and a list of weapon crit/tonnage/hardpoint requirements, if possible.

Thank you for answer.

Question II:

Second of my questions is about the availability of mech variants.

Some of the mechs you released are openly propagating a version from 3050+, despite it being obviously out of question lore-wise. The prime examples is the Cataphract-3D, which was introduced in 3051. It was present in the story and even makes sense gamewise, as we would only have two versions of Cataphract available otherwise.

With that said, what is your stance towards using variants that should stay only in blueprints for a little while?

Edited by Adridos, 25 July 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#38 Graives

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

(For reference, please check out the discussion thread here. where we have been discussing LP in Merc Corps and potential issues, which I at least would like addressed.)

1. We know from Q&A's and Dev Blogs that LP will be required for higher level contracts. Regarding Merc Corps, in detail, how will the acceptance of Contracts work, and will there be a system in place to prevent anyone intentionally or unintentionally detracting from the Merc Corps acquired LP? For instance, a Merc of the Corp doing contracts on his/her own and gaining LP with an opposing faction?

2. Again about contracts: What happens if a Merc Corp fails to complete a contract? Does it eventually become available to other Merc Corps? Are there any drawbacks or penalties to failing to complete a contract?

3. If a Merc leaves a Corp, does the LP gained for the Corp by the Merc leave with them?

#39 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Great job guys, keep it up!

1 - NARC - Do NARC beacons have a time limit, if so how long (can understand if yes for balance)? Do missiles attracted to NARC beacon aim for that side of the mech (I doubt they are true homers, (hit LT with NARC, all missiles which hit hit LT), but will they hit the side the beacon is on (can understand if no for balance)?

2 - ECM - Will other mechs besides the Raven be able to mount ECM if they have the space/tonnage?

3 - In cities, will magscan (if available) be degraded or useless?

4 - Can you give us a general idea of the type and size of maps you are leaning towards (Large city, swamp, desert, etc)?

5 - In the videos, the auto-shutdown makes a mech slump and the cockpit is twisted over. Does the same thing happen if voluntarily shutdown (scouting, ambush)?

6 - Are there warning sounds for heat, missile lock, critical damage, etc, (envisioning crippled mech with all kinds of warning bells, claxons, etc)? How about starred windshields, smoke in cabin, and other effects?

Once again, the videos are looking great, thanks for all the hard work! Been years since I've looked forward to a game, any game...

Nair ;)

#40 Xathanael

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 710 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Can we get a Hatamoto-Chi? Pretty pretty please?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users