Skills News

155 replies to this topic

#1 Delanus Turgias

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

PGI, I honestly don't know what you were thinking.

Remember two months back, when you demoed the new skill tree at mechcon? Remember how everyone thought the prices per skill node were way too high?
Posted Image
https://www.reddit.c...clarifications/ https://www.reddit.c...ll_tree_system/
You even acknowledged that the grind for each mech would remain roughly unchanged: https://twitter.com/...253381790482432
Thankfully you cut the XP requirement from an absurd 10k to 1.5k, but you literally doubled the CBill requirement from 50k to 100k per node. With a maximum of 91 skill nodes per mech, a mech is now an additional 9.1 million CBills to get to a competitive level.

I have a fairly small stock of 17 mechs, nearly all of them mastered. In order to bring them back up to where they are now, that's another 154,700,000 CBills. Older players with more mechs have even worse grinds to deal with. I don't know what thought was in your head when you said the grind would remain roughly the same, but you missed the mark. If the prices don't drop before this hits the general server, you can bet that veteran players are going to quit.

#2 Bradigus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Technically that c-bill price is cheaper, as many mechs required Between one or two mech modules, and between two or three weapon modules. Prices would range from 12 million to 18 million c-bills.

#3 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostBradigus, on 08 February 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Technically that c-bill price is cheaper, as many mechs required Between one or two mech modules, and between two or three weapon modules. Prices would range from 12 million to 18 million c-bills.

True, but this is also assuming you had modules for each of your mechs instead of swapping them out.

#4 Renee Zellbrigen

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPlanet Tamar

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Great, so now we're becoming a Korean MMO.

#5 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

I never use modules on my mechs. But **** me, am I right?

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Are you aware that modules can be swapped between mechs for free?

After the initial purchase, modules can be used on hundreds of different mechs for no additional cost.

The new system has a slightly lower upfront cost, but the cost over time is massively higher because you can't swap skills between mechs.

#7 Spunkmaster

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Interesting... Can you link to the info please?

#8 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

This is what the PTS is for, we need to make it loud and clear how ridiculously stupid this is and hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

#9 Delanus Turgias

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Download the PTS Client to see for yourself.

#10 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

After the initial purchase, modules can be used on hundreds of different mechs for no additional cost.

The new system has a slightly lower upfront cost, but the cost over time is massively higher because you can't swap skills between mechs.

Thats why unitll recently I never had any space bucks, always spending it on modules for mechs, I think im going to be getting 400-500 mill space bucks when they get refunded. Too lazy to swap them out all the time, just easier to buy moar.

#11 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

^ This. Also, I'm sort of disappointed that they are letting you pick up all 91 points. I figured this would've FINALLY given us a reason to, you know, diversify your mechs. Like, make it so you have a total of 91 nodes to choose from, but can only allocate 60 points to the trees.... so pick wisely! But alas, no. It's just go wild with cbills and xp.

Edit: looks like I misspoke. The original text of the PTS notes worded it funny, leading me to believe that 91 was the end-all-be-all for your mech. *shrug*

Edited by Weaselball, 08 February 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

You dont have to buy all the skills if you dont want.

#13 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

But then your mech will have lower performance. It's like buying a 75-ton mech but only using up 70 of those tons.

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Considering they're removing the quirks and things like Speed Tweak that my mechs relied on the first place, yes, yes I do have to buy the skills.

#15 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

^ This. Also, I'm sort of disappointed that they are letting you pick up all 91 points. I figured this would've FINALLY given us a reason to, you know, diversify your mechs. Like, make it so you have a total of 91 nodes to choose from, but can only allocate 60 points to the trees.... so pick wisely! But alas, no. It's just go wild with cbills and xp.

Wait? they're allowing us to get them all? In thier video they said it would be limited.... im still patching so i havnt seen it yet.

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

But then your mech will have lower performance. It's like buying a 75-ton mech but only using up 70 of those tons.

He had lower performance by not running modules to start with. The cbill cost for me and most the people i play will be about the same.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 08 February 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#16 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 February 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

Wait? they're allowing us to get them all? In thier video they said it would be limited.... im still patching so i havnt seen it yet.

You can get 91. If you wanted to master every single Ballistic weapon, it would be 70 SP. He just worded it wrong.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 February 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

It was an exaggeration.

We can't literally get every single skill. We can, however, pick out the majority of skills from about 5 or so trees. Basically, everyone is a generalist. We aren't allowed to specialize our full SP pool into a single tree.

#18 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

From the main PTS post:

https://mwomercs.com...sion#navigation

"Every 'Mech possesses a total of 91 available Skill Points, and every Skill Node you unlock will count as 1 Skill Point for that 'Mech. Once you have unlocked 91 Skill Nodes your 'Mech is considered Mastered, and no additional Skill Nodes can be unlocked. Unlike the previous Skill Tree, Mastery status does not convey any additional benefits or abilities."

Edit: unless PGI worded it all stupid as hell, and did not tell us how many skill points are ACTUALLY available VS how many are available to spend? I suppose that could be the case. The way I read the above is that you have 91 points total, and can use up all 91.

Edited by Weaselball, 08 February 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#19 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

That's cuz you cray

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 08 February 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

On the flip side, we need to buy many worthless ones to get to the meaty ones.

Seismic and Speed Tweak are at the bottom of their section

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users