#101 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 12 March 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Unless something changed, all the modules are automagically refunded for their full purchase cost plus 1 mil. for LTD modules. If so, what is your problem anyway? Whether you swap modules or not, it makes absolutely no difference. Russ may be wrong about calling people cheapskates, but this is all there is to it. By the way, I only bought, like, five modules and I swap them, engines, omnipods and whatnot all the time, and from time to time I still manage to stockpile basically unnecessary components that I sell. So yes, I am a cheapskate. Waste is the way of the enemy, quiaff?

The problem is that not only did pgi do away with a loophole that allow players to be frugal with modules, bit Riss deigned to label module-dwappers "cheap" and some of them took offense.

#102 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

I'd really like to see the statistics on the amount mech modules people with over 50 mechs have. A nice bell curve in which the +/- 2 standard deviations are the group that are addressed and that outliers remain just that. This move to make upgrading excessively cheap is really taking a dump on the guys who spent c-bills on modules and ending up with a gross excess of c-bills after the change won't exactly be a great thing if there isn't enough interesting stuff to spend it on. I love playing this game, even if it has a lot of work left, and for me, the "grind" is really just enjoying playing the game.

The new system will allow every player to fully maximize a mech for less than the cost of a single high power mech module. We will have the equivalent of many modules on each of those mechs for that price and the fact that the cost becomes integrated means that players who chose to invest in modules will no longer have as big of an edge as players with fewer resources.

This is a push back from someone with a decent number of modules (but not likely enough to max everything out in the new system). I want the middle ground of players to be addressed and not overly reduce c-bill costs. I've spent plenty of money like other whales here and there is no reason that people with a lot of mechs should get the same abilities for a fraction of the same c-bill investment just because they believe a mech with no upgrades is unplayable. It's time to grow a pair and accept that games should have some challenge to them and that upgrading mechs for free or too cheaply is a swing at module buyers.

#103 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 12 March 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

The problem is that not only did pgi do away with a loophole that allow players to be frugal with modules, bit Riss deigned to label module-dwappers "cheap" and some of them took offense.

That makes it (module swapping) sound almost like an exploit instead of what it is: A PGI-designed and advertised way of using an in-game device.

#104 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostInsomnium80, on 11 March 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

I think they said in the podcast that "they will not remove quirks". Might have been also something about scaling back some offensive quirks.

You really should watch the whole podcast.

I know they're not removing all of them, and I saw the part your referencing. I was also on the PTS and tested enough builds to know they are not removing all quirks. Perhaps I should have made my point clearer by saying offensive quirks

#105 Ahh Screw it - WATCH THIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostSteelHoves, on 11 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is why more than a few of us are annoyed to say the least about the being cheap comment. Maybe its Russ who should learn more about whats in his own game especially if hes going to make fun of his clients with it.

You need to edit to add about a thousand arrows to the tip. People probably still won't get it though.

#106 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Seems to me "cheapskates" has become the new "deplorables"...

#107 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 12 March 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

That makes it (module swapping) sound almost like an exploit instead of what it is: A PGI-designed and advertised way of using an in-game device.

Not so much an exploit as an unintended consequence.

Think of how with the shrinking economy, your favorite restaurant(s) might be cutting back on the free sauces, plastic utensils, or switching to annoying napkin dispensers to prevent people from just grabbing fistfuls of them.

Sure they *used* to allow you to indiscriminately grab all the napkins and free plasticware you want, but they've changed their model now.

Does it suck when it feels like a change hits you specifically? Sure! I've been burned lots of times on investments that no longer pan out (2 Oxides for FP, anyone?).

It's not an exploit, perhaps "loophole" is the wrong word too, but clearly PGI is no longer cool with mass module swapping.

Edited by MovinTarget, 12 March 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#108 Trennbull

• PipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Yes, I took offensive! This is no way to address a well paying customer - not even to make fun out of it!

#109 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostTrennbull, on 12 March 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Yes, I took offensive! This is no way to address a well paying customer - not even to make fun out of it!

Yes! This kind of sarcastic over reaction is the only way that somebody should be expressing any taken offense from his comment! It would help if you add a /sarcastic at the end so people don't mistakenly think you are really upset.

#110 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

#111 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Well, if I used all those Cbills to buy enough modules that I didn't need to swap them around, I would.have a lot fewer mechs. This would mean I would have bought a lot less MC to purchase mech bays. Is that really what they want me to do?

#112 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 12 March 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

Think of how with the shrinking economy, your favorite restaurant(s) might be cutting back on the free sauces, plastic utensils, or switching to annoying napkin dispensers to prevent people from just grabbing fistfuls of them.

Sure they *used* to allow you to indiscriminately grab all the napkins and free plasticware you want, but they've changed their model now.

Does it suck when it feels like a change hits you specifically? Sure! I've been burned lots of times on investments that no longer pan out (2 Oxides for FP, anyone?).

It's not an exploit, perhaps "loophole" is the wrong word too, but clearly PGI is no longer cool with mass module swapping.

I can follow that line of reasoning, except that C-Bills do exactly squat for economics, be it in the fictional or real universe. If we were talking about MC... maybe you'd have a point.

And yes, I am aware, that you can buy C-Bills for money, but I refuse to believe that there are people who actually do that. ;)

#113 Duilliath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I would say, to follow your example, that this is more like your favorite restaurant switching from free disposable napkins to charging an additional $10 to every meal for the "luxury" of a napkin. I have no problem with them making a c-bill sink to compensate for the loss of modules, but make it reasonable.

Edited by Duilliath, 12 March 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#114 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

I don't accept the restaurant analogy in so far as, we not talking about napkins. We are explicitly buying modules they are part of the menu and they even have told us we can reuse them as we please.

I personally believe there are two solutions to this: We are getting refund of the modules at full prices. believe that we should be allowed to sell our unwanted mechs and associated equipment at full price in one time fashion. It would mean that people whom bought mechs because of the rule of 3 can get their money back as the reason for the rule of three was explicitly to allow for getting to the Elite Level.

Grandfather the SP to at least allow all mastered mechs to get to the equivalent to a basic level say some 20-30 SP worth

I know it is not going to make all situations better and yes there will still be some grind. but at least that will wash out some of the salt in the wound.

I also understand that people took offence to the cheapskate remark. I felt it was a bit insensitive since most of the people that are being negatively affected by this have spent lots of money on the game, To label them cheapskates is just not good customer service especially when the message I got from the discussion I heard was basically that three things

1. They could not show us a rationale for the changes they made because it is complicated or this was the plan anyway
Chris specifically said they were against linear systems because of min maxing and then contradicting himself by say that the survival tree would lead to min maxing anyway because of what people valued.module 'cheapskates' was why there was a negative reaction. It was on top of the complete negativity of the the whole podcast in my vie

They seemed to have had a set of rationale that had nothing to do with game play but more to do with fashioning behaviours of players. In that sense it seemed like everything that was proposed was batted away with we know more about it than you and yet they had no data to show us not analysis to show that they have solved the issue they themselves had set out to solve.

2. Other peoples solution for the issues they stated they were trying to solve with the Skill Tree were flawed indeed they specifically said that So1omah Tree encouraged boating when it plainly did nothing of the sort. It was rather galling to hear someone whom was there there as a designer to show a compelete lack of understanding of a proposal. It woulf hhhave been better if he had said that it did not discourage boating (that would have been accurate but I would contend there is no system not the current one nor even the new PTS solution that does discourage boating.

3. For me it is clear that they have no clue how this will play on the live server and to that end what actually annoys me is that firstly most of the PTS's are poorly attended, I have played but 6 games all told in the weeks from the first PTS to when they shut it down. They need to give an incentive to make it possible for more player to play. I'd even go as far as saying that they should have suspended the live server for a weekend and everyone whom played the PTS get 50M Cbillls plus their winnings or allowed them to play 25 games and get the beginners Cbill quota. it would be good if they played the academey as well. It would be an idea debugging session and then they could look at real 12 v 12 data and players with many different level attempting to use the system

It is the point 3 that for me is most annoying because without it, to me, it feels like they are guessing. The development is haphazard. Just look at the UI changes between the PTS which was an ergonomic abortion form beign able too see at glance what you have unlocked to being unable to see anything. Who said that was a good idea?

#115 Oblitum Infernos

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

View Post-Ramrod-, on 10 March 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Balance = maintain ALL inner sphere quirks.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA no, balance is maintain underperformer quirks, remove quirks from mechs that obviously have too many or work "too" well

#116 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostOblitum Infernos, on 12 March 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA no, balance is maintain underperformer quirks, remove quirks from mechs that obviously have too many or work "too" well

most of those underperformers are on the inner sphere side. which IS mechs would you say work "too well" at the moment?

#117 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

View PostDuilliath, on 12 March 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

I would say, to follow your example, that this is more like your favorite restaurant switching from free disposable napkins to charging an additional $10 to every meal for the "luxury" of a napkin. I have no problem with them making a c-bill sink to compensate for the loss of modules, but make it reasonable.

Could you describe exactly what you believe is reasonable? at 45,000 c-bills a node, maxing out a mech costs 4,095,000 c-bills as of the NGNG podcast. Considering that each mech will get upgrades that reflect at least a few modules in the new system, how is 4.1 million c-bills not reasonable compared to the approximate 18 million c-bills for just 4 in the current system? That is less than 25% of the cost for a much larger benefit.

#118 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostPihoqahiak, on 12 March 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

I don't often find cause to defend Russ or PGI in general, but you are being ridiculous. Yes, you, and everyone else that only own the minimum amount of modules and engines for your account, forcing you to move them between mechs all the time ARE cheapskates. I did the same thing prior to having earned enough to begin purchasing more modules and engines for my account so that I didn't have to move as many around too, and yes, I was a cheapskate while I did that. It only takes a small amount of common sense to discern that Russ was not being insulting with his comment about that. Now if he had made a negative comment referring to players not spending actual real world money on the game, then yes, I could see cause to take offense, but that is NOT what he did in any way.

Oh so screw me for having different priorities C-bill wise. I'm sorry i can't please daddy Russ by buying a set of modules for every mech, i'd rather spend my C-bills on building the legion of mechs i have but hey i'm just being a cheapskate right shilly Mcshill-shill?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 12 March 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#119 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Postcougurt, on 12 March 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

most of those underperformers are on the inner sphere side. which IS mechs would you say work "too well" at the moment?

In BATTLETECH, some mechs are supposed to be better than others. If you want a better mech, then buy a better mech, both Clan and IS have mechs that are top-tier. Don't expect your "Smart Car" to beat a "Ferrari" in a street race.

#120 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostS0ulReapr, on 12 March 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

In BATTLETECH, some mechs are supposed to be better than others. If you want a better mech, then buy a better mech, both Clan and IS have mechs that are top-tier. Don't expect your "Smart Car" to beat a "Ferrari" in a street race.

battletech was balanced around having mechs of differing value. MWO doesn't have such a balancing mechanism, so mechs need to be relatively equal to one another.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users