• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostCpt Zaepp, on 11 March 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

#ModuleSwappingCheapskates

L.O.L that guy sure knows how to piss people off he relies on to keep his game running, mind you he wasn't the only P.G.I staff member that pissed me off with some of the things he said.

I understand now, the rational behind what I perceive as a mess of nodes, I don't agree with it, but I understand it.
Seems if we don't get hillclimb we'll get some other newly created piece of crap, as a filler, because of how the system works and I find my self more in agreement with what Sean Lang was saying about node costs and skills, and while we would lose the secondary 'bonuses' it would make the trees look tidy.

I cut the town hall 15 minutes short as there was, I felt nothing else to learn. I feel for Chris Lowrey it's pretty clear he was employed to try and make some sense of, and make work a chaotic mess from the usual source of our angst, and had no input in the creation of it, so no matter what happens or how pissed people get, cut this guy some slack it's not his fault.

At least the nodes are getting different values for each weight class, which while isn't as comprehensive a difference as a tree for each weight class, it should feel different even if you use the same nodes for each mech.

I'll give it a go, and see how it pans out, it does give more options, and gives people even more choices to make unoptimised mechs of which there will be no matter what system was chosen only one way to optimise.

I think inside two months the I.S mechs and maybe the worse performing clan will have to be given half their weapons quirks back this isn't going to remove the need for them, no matter how optimistic certain people are.

I'm still left wondering how removing the rule of three is going to generate more or even the same income as mech packs, and I can't see any ethical way of it doing so, other than a price hike.

I guess we find out in a couple of months

#62 A21B

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

im going to need 650,000,000 million cbills to make half of them playable.

#63 Insomnium80

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostCathy, on 11 March 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

I think inside two months the I.S mechs and maybe the worse performing clan will have to be given half their weapons quirks back this isn't going to remove the need for them, no matter how optimistic certain people are.

I think they said in the podcast that "they will not remove quirks". Might have been also something about scaling back some offensive quirks.

You really should watch the whole podcast.

#64 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Concerning Russ and why he brought Chris along to that podcast....

"Two, always there must be. A Master, and a Scapegoat."

Guess which was which.....

#65 K O N D O

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • CS 2020 Silver Champ
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Some of you guys need to get over the Module Cheapscates comment. It was meant as a joke.

Push for PGI to give you the option to refund Mechs (in full) for a 1 month period after patch and the Module-Cheapskates and Mech-Cheapskates will be on a level playing field.

#66 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

still would much rather them up the XP cost and GET RID OF THE CBILL COST!!! or they better up the Cbills given per match.
I have a much better Idea. keep the old style only rename the tier to weapons mobility ect. in weapons you have all weapons and ranges than you can pump XP into each skill kind of like how upgrading modules are now. than no one will need to pick a skill they don't want just to get a skill they do want. and get rid of the cbill cost. that's just dumb. I don't spend gold to level up my Warlock on WoW why should I pay cbills to upgrade my mech in MOW. in the end people are going to have way more XP than they want GXP will be worthless if you don't have the Cbills to use it.

#67 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 11 March 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

I don't spend gold to level up my Warlock on WoW why should I pay cbills to upgrade my mech in MOW.

See, this is where I would argue its apples to oranges... the problem is that PGI calls them "skills" when they are essentially mechanical upgrades.

A sentient being "learns" (i.e. gains XP) but a big stompy robot does not, it's pilot does. Had they just called them tech upgrades from the start they'd at least have avoided these kinds of comparisons.

Would rather they do things like make pilot/gunnery skills that use XP and then you buy "kits" that apply certain sets of bonuses to your mechs.

#68 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostK O N D O, on 11 March 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Some of you guys need to get over the Module Cheapscates comment. It was meant as a joke.

Push for PGI to give you the option to refund Mechs (in full) for a 1 month period after patch and the Module-Cheapskates and Mech-Cheapskates will be on a level playing field.

Some jokes are in bad taste and all are based in personal opinion, for example, it is something that the person telling the joke finds funny themselves and thinks that others would find funny if they shared it. Following this logic, it does show that Russ has a bit of disdain for his customers, the ones who have made PGI somewhat successful after the huge failure that was the last Duke Nukem. I am a long-time player and this account is a result of my own, personal mental struggles (although I need to change the name eventually, because I am not an "edgelord"). Seriously though, I get it, Russ is the reason that MWO exists and many of us play this habitually and can not let Mechwarrior go, regardless of who is making the game, but Russ needs to remember that respect goes both ways (to be fair though, there are far more of us giving Russ a hard time though).

#69 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostS0ulReapr, on 11 March 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Some jokes are in bad taste and all are based in personal opinion, for example, it is something that the person telling the joke finds funny themselves and thinks that others would find funny if they shared it. Following this logic, it does show that Russ has a bit of disdain for his customers, the ones who have made PGI somewhat successful after the huge failure that was the last Duke Nukem. I am a long-time player and this account is a result of my own, personal mental struggles (although I need to change the name eventually, because I am not an "edgelord"). Seriously though, I get it, Russ is the reason that MWO exists and many of us play this habitually and can not let Mechwarrior go, regardless of who is making the game, but Russ needs to remember that respect goes both ways (to be fair though, there are far more of us giving Russ a hard time though).

You know, not all of us paying customers found it offensive. I'm curious as to what other words could be used to describe the behavior? "Efficient" in this context is really just a polite way of saying the same thing.

#70 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 11 March 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

You know, not all of us paying customers found it offensive. I'm curious as to what other words could be used to describe the behavior? "Efficient" in this context is really just a polite way of saying the same thing.

Words have different meanings in different contexts, and just as PGI expects me to tailor my words on this forum to be less offensive to people of varying origins, Russ should do the same. I make a living dealing with people who find "creative" meanings for words and who debate what a word means, to the point that you even begin to doubt your own understanding, so things like Russ' statement do have an effect on me.

#71 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Thanx PGI and NGNG for the update.

I'm looking forward to the patch and think it is moving into the right direction even without the cost reduction.

I honestly do not understand some overreacting individuals.

But maybe have a look at this proposal of starting with the first nodes cheap and increasing cost with increasing node count:
https://mwomercs.com...e-poor-players/

Edited by Ryoken, 11 March 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#72 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostS0ulReapr, on 11 March 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Words have different meanings in different contexts, and just as PGI expects me to tailor my words on this forum to be less offensive to people of varying origins, Russ should do the same. I make a living dealing with people who find "creative" meanings for words and who debate what a word means, to the point that you even begin to doubt your own understanding, so things like Russ' statement do have an effect on me.

Fair point, but we all need to show a level of tolerance too, by recognizing that this is only going to ever work if we all compromise. Kind of like having a Psychologist for a spouse, they better learn how to check that sh!t at the door or their S.O. will get really tired of being psychoanalized real fast.

In other words, you recognize that words affect you as such and you are the keeper of your own emotions and have to identify if there is genuine hurt *intended* or if its your profession affecting your judgement.

I get what your saying just not fair to blame things entirely on that.

Edited by MovinTarget, 11 March 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#73 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 11 March 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Fair point, but we all need to show a level of tolerance too, by recognizing that this is only going to ever work if we all compromise. Kind of like having a Psychologist for a spouse, they better learn how to check that sh!t at the door or their S.O. will get really tired of being psychoanalized real fast.

In other words, you recognize that words affect you as such and you are the keeper of your own emotions and have to identify if there is genuine hurt *intended* or if its your profession affecting your judgement.

I get what your saying just not fair to blame things entirely on that.

Understood. I generally support the skill tree and I believe that it is something that this game has needed in a long time.

#74 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Someone wake me when this podcast is actually a podcast and not a vodcast.

#75 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

In any event, they took the time to talk about it. posting and turning the forums into a battlefield for and against isn't going to change the fact this is coming.

We'll all deal with it in our own way when it hits on the 21st.

Edited by Arkhangel, 11 March 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#76 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostKarl Marlow, on 11 March 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Someone wake me when this podcast is actually a podcast and not a vodcast.

I am actually too old for this stuff, I just want them to release a product that I can play. I want to talk to the dev of a game I play about as much as I want to talk to the person who makes my fast food. Seriously, I might like Russ in person, especially if he drinks, but I am too poor to fly to Canada, partly because I spent too much on this game.

#77 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

View PostS0ulReapr, on 10 March 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

So, keep the crutches?

what else do you want them to do? inner sphere tech is just plain worse in most regards. even ignoring tech differences, there are plenty of mechs, IS and clan alike, that suffer from poor geometry/hitboxes, weapon placement, lack of hardpoints, and other non-tech related issues.

#78 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostS0ulReapr, on 10 March 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

So, keep the crutches?

So it's okay for the Clans to keep all of thier quirks, but IS isn't allowed to? Lol Clammers really need to get with reality. No one will play IS if they are gimmped into the ground like it seems this update will do to them.

But hey it's okay, the ubermench Clanners get more Lebensraum.

#79 QuePan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 109 posts
  • Locationcapital district NY

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

I planned out my cbill usage based on the RULES the game set forth so i purchased a few modules per weight class focused on the rest of my earnings to buy Engines and other equipment for my mechs including consumables as needed . now because i came up with my own way to play the game to build my stable of mechs , so i could field in groups any weight class and be a effective player for the team , so that makes me a "Cheapskate" over someone that is maybe locked into a few less flexible stable of mechs . neither way should be considered a "wrong Way " to purchase and spend the cbill earnings but if you did the second way you get more out of it ?? im i getting a refund for every consumable i EVER SPENT ?? NO
As for the "economy" of the game , there really isnt one . you buy gear for the mechs , mechs themselves with cbills , you buy bays , cosmetics, Mech packs ,champions ,heroes ,with MC thats kinda the economy . the game doesnt need another CBill cost on top of that . Russ is wrong in this refund system isnt fair to how different players spend there cbills . cuz your not refunding EVERYTHING that Cbills is spent on . why should my purchases be invalidated and others given back . having a dump into the skill tree while giving a refund on only some purchases is insulting . is someone thats never bought a consumable a CHEAPSKATE?? is someone that didnt buy a Decal a CHEAPSKATE ??? is some one who didnt buy a module a Cheapskate ??? , NO to all , we just spend our CBills in different areas that we the player fits our style of play . no one player should be held above the other , and that what the cbill skill cost and module refund does . it devalues our time and our personal purchases .

#80 SteelHoves

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

This is why more than a few of us are annoyed to say the least about the being cheap comment. Maybe its Russ who should learn more about whats in his own game especially if hes going to make fun of his clients with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users