Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#1241 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 27 October 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

Man that look nearly similar to the redesign Incubus 4

Posted Image

Posted Image

I personally prefer the unseen version more, even though I'm not a fan of gundams.

Posted Image

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 27 October 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#1242 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostAsriel Dreemur, on 26 October 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Ehh screw it, I'm changing my Clan Medium vote to the Vapor Eagle for practicality's sake. Still no Rabid Coyote. :/

Not really a point to adding a mech after 1500 people have voted and only NOW someone is asking for it...

But, I added it..

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 27 October 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#1243 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 27 October 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Not really a point to adding a mech after 1500 people have voted and only NOW someone is asking for it...

But, I added it..

It's really time for completely new pool to force all people to vote again.

#1244 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 27 October 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Is it though? The data is there, its clear to see which mechs are really popular. Seems like a whole lot of extra work for not enough gain. I would say its time for a new poll when there are no clear top 3's per class anymore...

#1245 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Wasn't the original intent of this poll to try and guide the votes toward not-sh*t options? And now it has every 'Mech under the sun for the sake of "fairness"?

#1246 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 October 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Wasn't the original intent of this poll to try and guide the votes toward not-sh*t options? And now it has every 'Mech under the sun for the sake of "fairness"?

The thread & poll I made was about that but I think Gas was just doing a general poll.

#1247 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 27 October 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

PGI already gathered their data info from this poll so that would be fruitless.

Nope. It was more of a nostalgia battle for who's favorite pet mech will get in game first. Since we are back on the 1 mech a month type of deal, I feel that this list is going to drag out a long time. Can't really complain though since my pet mech is first in the heavy department.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 28 October 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#1248 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Most of the class winners should be decent options. There are some great mechs that are obscure that will just not see the light of day unfortunately.

#1249 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

WTB Caesar.

#1250 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 27 October 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

But, I added it..

I would point out some mechs had a disadvantage due to not being in the poll from the begining.

#1251 Dewodahs

• PipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

I was kinda sad to not see the Omen on there.

#1252 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostDewodahs, on 28 October 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

I was kinda sad to not see the Omen on there.

Omen is fairly far out of the timeline (even if we already have the tech needed to built it) and it's not very well known.

It's pretty smexy though.

Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 28 October 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#1253 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

I wish more mechs had MASC or MASC variants.

#1254 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 October 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

The thread & poll I made was about that but I think Gas was just doing a general poll.

Gas made this poll after CK16 suggested he do so after his own poll got called out as biased since it included a bunch of crummy IS 'Mechs and a bunch of good Clan 'Mechs. When this poll was first made, it had a fairly good mix of solid IS 'Mechs, but then in an effort to appear fair and representative of the forum population's wants, it was expanded to include every 'Mech under the sun.

The unfortunate result is that the crummy IS 'Mechs are winning the IS side of the vote, and the Clans have the advantage of not having a lot of crummy 'Mechs to muddy it up. Of course, part of IS 'Mechs being crummy is PGI's fault, but still.

#1255 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 October 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Gas made this poll after CK16 suggested he do so after his own poll got called out as biased since it included a bunch of crummy IS 'Mechs and a bunch of good Clan 'Mechs. When this poll was first made, it had a fairly good mix of solid IS 'Mechs, but then in an effort to appear fair and representative of the forum population's wants, it was expanded to include every 'Mech under the sun.

The unfortunate result is that the crummy IS 'Mechs are winning the IS side of the vote, and the Clans have the advantage of not having a lot of crummy 'Mechs to muddy it up. Of course, part of IS 'Mechs being crummy is PGI's fault, but still.

Right and we attempted to get more attention for the better IS mechs. Sadly two of the ones we wanted got gimped.

#1256 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 29 October 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

I wish more mechs had MASC or MASC variants.

That would be nice for sure. The IS side is generally too slow for my taste in the 70 ton and 75 ton range.

We only have two 75t Mechs (BL-7-KNT-L and TNS-4S) capable of 81 kph without speed tweak, and not a single 70t Mech.
That's sad because there are a lot of good Mechs which can use big engines like the Falconer or the Maelstrom.

View PostTheArisen, on 29 October 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Right and we attempted to get more attention for the better IS mechs. Sadly two of the ones we wanted got gimped.

...in a way. The Nightstar could be easily un-gimped, at least partially. Increasing the engine cap a little and improving the offensive quirks would already help a lot.
Not sure about the Osiris, I don't have it and I rarely meet it.

#1257 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 October 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

That would be nice for sure. The IS side is generally too slow for my taste in the 70 ton and 75 ton range.

We only have two 75t Mechs (BL-7-KNT-L and TNS-4S) capable of 81 kph without speed tweak, and not a single 70t Mech.
That's sad because there are a lot of good Mechs which can use big engines like the Falconer or the Maelstrom.

Eh, 77 kph in a Marauder is no slouch. I wouldn't fret over 4 kph. The Marauder just annoys me because it's stuck as either a brawler or a slow DPS 'Mech. The only one that can weild a competent burst build is the hero and that one is stuck with a 300...and that 300 was PGI being generous because they originally planned a cap of 275.

...in a way. The Nightstar could be easily un-gimped, at least partially. Increasing the engine cap a little and improving the offensive quirks would already help a lot.
Not sure about the Osiris, I don't have it and I rarely meet it.

Not sure how increasing the engine cap un-gimps the NSR when it runs out of tons at about the same time it runs out of slots already. That lets me run my 5x ERLL build with a 350 LFE rather than a STD 325, but that is not a night-and-day difference in speed. It doesn't do anything for any of the other builds. Really, nothing does. Not even removing the hand actuators.

#1258 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

The 81 kph are an indicator of the 375 and 350 stock engines used on fast 75t and 70t Mechs, meaning an engine cap of 400 and ability to go faster. I do miss that capability a lot (even the 4 kph I do miss), but the 375/350 also mean a another DHS slot.

That extra DHS slot is, btw., quite important on the Nightstar too, as I run out of crits quickly, hence my wish for a 350 engine. It's not really about speed in that case, it's about crits. And nobody ever said that's the all-happy solution to every single problem; it's just a step.

#1259 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 October 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

The 81 kph are an indicator of the 375 and 350 stock engines used on fast 75t and 70t Mechs, meaning an engine cap of 400 and ability to go faster. I do miss that capability a lot (even the 4 kph I do miss), but the 375/350 also mean a another DHS slot.

That extra DHS slot is, btw., quite important on the Nightstar too, as I run out of crits quickly, hence my wish for a 350 engine. It's not really about speed in that case, it's about crits. And nobody ever said that's the all-happy solution to every single problem; it's just a step.

I'm aware of the DHS slot, but...you are blowing a non-trivial amount of weight to get it and you are only saving 3 crits. One extra DHS isn't going to make or break a build, nor is one Medium Laser.

I don't even use a 350 engine on the NSR-9FC, I use a 315 or a 325 because going bigger results in a 'Mech with insufficient firepower for its weight. Without hands and with a 350 engine, the NSR-9J wouldn't be much better than the 9FC already is. It could run a 60-point alpha build at 60 kph, but I'm already running a 63-point alpha at 57 kph and 13 DHS with a 1% difference in heat efficiency. You can mix and match with other ballistics, but the conclusion is the same.

Really, the construction rules and IS weapon weight/size do in any Assault. The Mauler has all the same problems without the hands. So does the Banshee. So does the Battlemaster.

#1260 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 October 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

The GHR-5J has an engine cap of 365 and can manage 81kph with a 350.

Not that you would ever want to do that, but there you go.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users