Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2299 replies to this topic

#2061 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:41 PM

View Post50 50, on 11 September 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Aren't they all equipped with IS XL Engines though?

Mostly, but that doesn't automatically make all of them bad; plenty of 'Mechs are serviceable with an XL already, and the IS Omnis have weapon capabilities that don't exist on the BattleMech options (i.e. you want 11 lasers on a Light? 12 on a Heavy?).

#2062 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:45 PM

I was thinking more that they may not sell well as a result.
But, who knows.
Something to see added either way just to have them in game.

#2063 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

View Post50 50, on 11 September 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

I was thinking more that they may not sell well as a result.
But, who knows.
Something to see added either way just to have them in game.

It just has to be the right ones.

That means bugger to the Owens, yes please to the Raptor.

#2064 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:14 PM

While the Raptor is a good mech, we all know the Owens is more popular and would sell more. Considering the history nostalgia mechs coming up on the sales page before strong ones.

#2065 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 11 September 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

While the Raptor is a good mech, we all know the Owens is more popular and would sell more. Considering the history nostalgia mechs coming up on the sales page before strong ones.

Maybe, but we also know that power sells...and the Owens does not have power. I would wager that the Owens might have a higher initial spike in sales, but it will drop off immediately because it can't sell itself to people who don't care about nostalgia. The Raptor can.

#2066 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:52 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 September 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

Maybe, but we also know that power sells...and the Owens does not have power. I would wager that the Owens might have a higher initial spike in sales, but it will drop off immediately because it can't sell itself to people who don't care about nostalgia. The Raptor can.

You're right bout that, let's wait and see if they gonna release IS omni's soon right now I'm getting bored of IS battlemechs atm and running out of ideal builds for most that isn't obvious or just hp's don't offer much builds.

#2067 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

Na. IS Omnis would be disappointing, mostly, unless PGI decides to flex on some of the "fixed choices" you have in omnimechs as a rule. Fixed SHS or fixed XL engines. Yikes.

I honestly still think quads would add something new to the game. The way they move is different enough from bipeds to change the feel with them. Being able to sidestep and side strafe while moving forward or backward would be nifty.

#2068 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 September 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

Na. IS Omnis would be disappointing, mostly, unless PGI decides to flex on some of the "fixed choices" you have in omnimechs as a rule. Fixed SHS or fixed XL engines. Yikes.

I honestly still think quads would add something new to the game. The way they move is different enough from bipeds to change the feel with them. Being able to sidestep and side strafe while moving forward or backward would be nifty.

The most simple way to make the most of 1 mech is to bring the BattleCobra.
Sure its not a game changer - but when you can have a IS-Omni and a Clan-Omni in the same Mech (the IS Omni would use a 220 rather a 200 engine)

#2069 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

I think that PGI should hold a community vote as to how to handle IS Omnimechs. The options would be:

A. Only implement ones that are fairly good out of the box.

B. Any bad ones that get added (i.e. Owens) get to be superquirked harder than anything seen before in MWO.

C. Create non-canon "Mk. 2" versions of bad Omnis that have upgraded capabilities while keeping the overall feel and layout of the original mech as much as possible.

Knowing PGI's lack of ambition when it comes to balancing, Option A seems like the most viable path of the three listed. The fourth unlisted option is for PGI to implement bad Omnis without giving them any assistance whatsoever, which seems like it's probably the most likely option of them all...

#2070 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:45 AM

IS XL's would need to deviate from lore and have swappable Engines/Heat Sinks. Otherwise you end up with the Owens/Strider paradox.

But everyone would get in a tizzy over this, so good luck.

My best guess is we won't ever see IS Omnis. I'd be delighted to be wrong. We shall see.

#2071 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostFupDup, on 12 September 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think that PGI should hold a community vote as to how to handle IS Omnimechs. The options would be:

B. Any bad ones that get added (i.e. Owens) get to be superquirked harder than anything seen before in MWO.

C. Create non-canon "Mk. 2" versions of bad Omnis that have upgraded capabilities while keeping the overall feel and layout of the original mech as much as possible.

Knowing PGI's lack of ambition when it comes to balancing, Option A seems like the most viable path of the three listed. The fourth unlisted option is for PGI to implement bad Omnis without giving them any assistance whatsoever, which seems like it's probably the most likely option of them all...

Option D :

Allow a simple toggle option to swap engine type (but NOT engine rating) and Heat Sink type (but not fixed heat sink placement - unless would otherwise cause a slot violation, in which case they would move to "next inward").

It really wouldn't impact Clan omnis as all have DHS anyways, and all the historically problematic omnimechs have XL engines, regardless.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 12 September 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#2072 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:32 AM

B just plain easy to do and adjust.

#2073 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

Just give them structure, armor, and crit reduction. That'll shore up the XL deficiency. Then give them 20% cooldown on a particular weapon type. Doesn't take much to MRM boat with a 20% cooldown.

#2074 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:27 AM

I would love to see the Hauptmann only for its laser cigar.

#2075 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:14 AM

View PostWill9761, on 14 September 2018 - 02:27 AM, said:

I would love to see the Hauptmann only for its laser cigar.

Hauptmann is one of the rare IS Omnis that might actually be very strong. No crappy IS XL engine, and it actually has double Heat Sinks. Besides, the chomping laser cigar is pretty damn cool. However, I think it features crit-splitting in many of its Alternate versions, which PGI has yet to figure out.....

Good idea, though, generally speaking!

#2076 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 14 September 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

Hauptmann is one of the rare IS Omnis that might actually be very strong. No crappy IS XL engine, and it actually has double Heat Sinks. Besides, the chomping laser cigar is pretty damn cool. However, I think it features crit-splitting in many of its Alternate versions, which PGI has yet to figure out.....

Nope no crit splitting on this mech.

#2077 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:38 PM

Despite the fact that, I could not support the Thug being in the game, I did find some good variants that are possible to be in MWO.

Thug THG-10E
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - N/A
Right Torso - SRM 4
Left Torso - SRM 4
Right Arm - PPC
Left Arm - PPC
Debuted: 2835

Thug THG-12K (ECM Variant)
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - ECM
Right Torso - SRM 6
Left Torso - SRM 6
Right Arm - PPC
Left Arm - PPC
Debuted: 3067

Thug THG-13K (Laser Variant)
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - N/A
Right Torso - Heavy PPC
Left Torso - Heavy PPC
Right Arm - Heavy PPC
Left Arm - 2x Medium Pulse Laser
Debuted: 3068

Thug THG-11ECX "Jose" (Stealth Armor Variant) [Hero Variant]
Weapons and Equipment:
Head - N/A
Center Torso - N/A
Right Torso - 3x SRM 6
Left Torso - 2x SRM 6
Right Arm - ER Large Laser
Left Arm - ER Large Laser
Debuted: 2772

Edited by Will9761, 16 September 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#2078 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

Community vote will go exactly as we all know it will. Clan hardcore salty ones will raise hell and say "the same rules should have to apply to everyone".

PGI's strength has never been picking the logic out of a discussion.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 12 September 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Option D :

Allow a simple toggle option to swap engine type (but NOT engine rating) and Heat Sink type (but not fixed heat sink placement - unless would otherwise cause a slot violation, in which case they would move to "next inward").

The bolded has always been, to me, the only viable and logic based solution to the matter of IS Omnis.

Forcing them to stay within the large engine ratings most of them have causes sacrifices to be made, so it's not like cheating the system.

The heat sink thing I don't even know if PGI could code at this point, the spaghetti has to be hard to see through, and it might break everything.

View PostMarauder3D, on 14 September 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

PGI has "figured it out", in a way. They give an AC20 to every mech that was crit-splitting for an LB20 or UAC20.

Also, the Men Shen may be strong out of the box, if its hitboxes don't betray it. It doesn't have huge pod space, but it has great mixes of omnipods. 3M + 5E, or 10E, or 8E + ECM are all possibilities.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 16 September 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#2079 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:05 AM

Clan Battlemechs:
20t one partial, Pirhana
25t none
30t Incubus
35t Jenner IIC (too big, all missiles)
40t Arctic Wolf (partial, no ballistic options)
45t none
50t Hunchback IIC

I would not be surprised if we get a 40-ton Clan Battlemech soon.

#2080 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:25 AM

We do the Arctic Wolf 1 and 2 is a battlemech, if you mean 45 ton battlemech would open up some options.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users