Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#661 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 March 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

and so you learn the important lesson about people. Always expect to be let down.

Fair enough. It's obvious most of us that post regularly on the forums have put more effort into knowing about these mechs, etc.

#662 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 29 March 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

The Men Shen & Dervish are tied at 95 O.o And the Thanatos only has a 2 vote lead over the Crusader...

Man I wish people would vote for other IS assaults besides just the Fafnir... Like the Sagitaire, Cerberus, Thunder Hawk, Gunslinger or you know... the Nightstar.

View PostTheArisen, on 29 March 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

Fair enough. It's obvious most of us that post regularly on the forums have put more effort into knowing about these mechs, etc.

Ever consider that people are voting for the Fafnir because it was in MW4:Mercs and the others... Just weren't?

Chances are the only people that would be interested in those other mechs are long time TT players.

#663 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 30 March 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

Ever consider that people are voting for the Fafnir because it was in MW4:Mercs and the others... Just weren't?

We all know that. And I have complained about it quite a bit. However...

...there are three reasons why the Fafnir is popular:

MW:4 - not why I like it, but it's a reason for many.

Lore - "the Fafnir epitomizes the Lyran philosophy", it is the pride and joy of the LAAF, and the flagship design of the biggest Mech-producer in the IS. The Civil War in the Lyran Alliance ended when Peter Steiner-Davion drove a Fafnir into Tharkad City and killed the loyalist commander in her Hauptmann. (That is a quite significant symbolism, as the Fafnir was usually not availabe for the allies; while the loyalists had trouble getting the Hauptmann).

He continued to use a modified Fafnir against the Blakists, and the Fafnir itself continued to prove its worth in the Lyran forces. Just 'recently' a Fafnir-pilot was assigned guarding the main entrace to the Royal Court, because he single handedly shot down a Clan dropship during the Battle of Tharkad. Even if the Fafnir may not be your number one, it is undeniable that there is a lot to it.

Performance - it'd be very good in MWO. Perhaps not the very best, but definitely near the top. High-mounted, cockpit-level hardpoints; good combination of ballistic and enegry hardpoints; good variants (FNF-6U for dual gauss or dual AC/20 in the arms, plus energy hp in the STs); possibly a hero variant with missiles; ECM.

...and if PGI applies the same 1.5x multiplier to the engine-cap which it gave the Annihilator, it runs a 450 engine.Posted Image

The way I see it, there is literally nothing wrong with it. That is not to question the validity of other options like Thunder Hawk (Adam Steiner's ride), Sagittaire (high performance), or Nightstar (my own nostalgia plus good performance), but there is no denying that the Fafnir would be a good choice too.

Edited by FLG 01, 30 March 2017 - 06:38 AM.

#664 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

The "Forgotten" Mechs Mechwarrior Pack of 3027...
  • Nexus
  • Fujin
  • Raijin
  • Grand Crusader
  • Ragnarok
Posted Image
Spoiler

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 30 March 2017 - 07:11 AM.

#665 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 29 March 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

The Men Shen & Dervish are tied at 95 O.o And the Thanatos only has a 2 vote lead over the Crusader...

More missile spam vs IS omni with MASC..decisions, decisions

I figured the Crusader has more nostalgia power than the Thanatos, was actually surprised that the Thanatos is leading at all.
Crusader to me seems like a 20 ton heavier Phoenix Hawk that had missiles strapped on to it.

#666 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 March 2017 - 07:33 AM, said:

Crusader to me seems like a 20 ton heavier Phoenix Hawk that had missiles strapped on to it.

It kind of is from a looks stand point, but from a role perspective they are not closely related at all.

The Pixi's main role was as a lance leader for scout lances, hence the high ground speed (6/9) with Jump Jets (6).

The Crusader's main role was general purpose heavy. She could do fire support thanks to twin LRM/15's or be a close in brawler with twin MLas and twin SRM/6's. She was also better armoured than a Warhammer 6R and Marauder 3R, the Achilles heel for the Crusader was heat, with only 10 SHS she runs hot, and has large ammo stores....

View PostPariah Devalis, on 29 March 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

It could be worse. People could be rooting for the Crossbow. Posted Image

They are doing worse... they are voting for the Black Lanner....

#667 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Chances are the only people that would be interested in those other mechs are long time TT players.

Ever consider that people might have voted for the Fafnir because they simply just like the mech? I've briefly played MW:4 but my main experience with the Fafnir was from MW:LL. I'll probably recreate the nasty RAC5 Fafnir from Living Legends and field that bad boy once again (since you know, the devs from the community version decided to remove it for whatever reason).

#668 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 March 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

It kind of is from a looks stand point, but from a role perspective they are not closely related at all.

The Pixi's main role was as a lance leader for scout lances, hence the high ground speed (6/9) with Jump Jets (6).

The Crusader's main role was general purpose heavy. She could do fire support thanks to twin LRM/15's or be a close in brawler with twin MLas and twin SRM/6's. She was also better armoured than a Warhammer 6R and Marauder 3R, the Achilles heel for the Crusader was heat, with only 10 SHS she runs hot, and has large ammo stores...

I mean, I don't care what their main role in BattleTech was, and that isn't what I was comparing. A Crusader also will have less armor than a Warhammer or Marauder. Stock armor values mean nothing in this game so why even bother describing it in this thread?

I was looking at hardpoints... comparing the fact both the Crusader and the Phoenix Hawk have energy and ballistics in the arms. The Crusader just also happens to have missiles as well.

#669 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

These are the mechs I voted for. I chose to add an OmniMech Counterpart to the BattleMechs as well a give my reason of why I want to see them in MWO.

IS Mechs:
Arctic Fox- Because the thought of an inbred Kit Fox is the funniest thing I've ever seen.Posted Image
Osiris - Because Mechwarrior 4, that's why.
Hellspawn - See above.
Firestarter Omni - Because we need some IS Omnimechs
Thanatos - Mechwarrior 4, nuff said
Black Hawk KU- A favorite of mine in Mechwarrior 3
Hatamoto-Chi - Because it is the Hero Mech that the Dracon Combine needs, but not deserves right now.
Hauptmann- House Steiner's classy totem Omnimech that has an Omni-cigar. How cool is that?Posted Image
Fafnir- This mech should have made the cut for the Civil War Mech pack from the start. Especially with the reveal of the Heavy Gauss Rifle. Had the Fafnir would have been there, it would have became an instant buy for me. How the Annihilator was chosen instead of that mech is beyond me.Posted Image

Clan Mechs
Piranha - Because the Clans are lacking a light mech in the 20-ton slot right. Also it would be a smart way to tie the company name into the game by making a Hero Mech out of it.
Fire Moth - Same as above, but because of Mechwarrior 2 nostalgia.
Conjurer - As long as it is not that ugly MW4 version, it should be fine.
Arctic Wolf - To complete MWO's round-up of the MW4 Clan "Mek Pak Mechs" (Warhawk, Kodiak, Arctic Wolf, Ebon Jaguar).
Rifleman IIC - To complete the Mechwarrior 2 line-up along with the Marauder IIC
Warhammer IIC - Same as above

#670 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostWill9761, on 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

#TRIGGERED!!!!!

#671 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostWill9761, on 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 March 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

#TRIGGERED!!!!!

Why not have both, also I need my wolverine fix and I'm considering buying duplicates for some reason.

#672 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

#TRIGGERED!!!!!

He said Wolverine IIC Conjurer, it's a different mech than the MW4 Hellhound.

As far as I'm concerned the MW4 Hellhound was a development to supplement depleted mech stores for the Clans after the Invasion came to an end. Named Hellhound by the Clans rather than being an IS code name for the Wolverine IIC Conjurer.

It's about the best way I can figure out to explain in universe for Microsoft fracking up and not doing their home work....

#673 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 March 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

He said Wolverine IIC Conjurer, it's a different mech than the MW4 Hellhound.

As far as I'm concerned the MW4 Hellhound was a development to supplement depleted mech stores for the Clans after the Invasion came to an end. Named Hellhound by the Clans rather than being an IS code name for the Wolverine IIC Conjurer.

It's about the best way I can figure out to explain in universe for Microsoft fracking up and not doing their home work....

It's not about what mech he was referring to so much as he said the MW4 Hellhound looked horrible.

#674 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 March 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

It's not about what mech he was referring to so much as he said the MW4 Hellhound looked horrible.

-shrug- I'm not a fan of it, it looks to top heavy. But I understand that some people have an attachment to it, so I don't judge...

#675 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

#TRIGGERED!!!!!

Yeah, I know you have been triggered, take it easy man.

Edited by Will9761, 30 March 2017 - 06:27 PM.

#676 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Don't get me wrong, I want the Fafnir too, I voted for it. I was just wishing ppl would vote for others as well. After all, you can vote for more than one mech per weight class.

Ideally people would vote for the Fafnir as well as the mechs I mentioned of others.

#677 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 30 March 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I want the Fafnir too, I voted for it. I was just wishing ppl would vote for others as well. After all, you can vote for more than one mech per weight class.

Ideally people would vote for the Fafnir as well as the mechs I mentioned of others.

Believe me I wish people would vote for certain other mechs as well. The problem is, those mechs I wish people would vote for are typically the 3025 mechs which are driven by nostalgia over "combat effectiveness", because some of those mechs would probably not do well in the current meta for one reason or another.

The game would really need a 3025 stock only option on the live server for some of those mechs to perform well and for the player to earn a decent paycheck from that match. The "stock loadout" option in private lobbies "for funsies" is great and all, but I'd like to be able to use some mechs in their stock config and be able to make money doing it, as I'm sure some other people in this community would like as well.

Edited by Alan Davion, 30 March 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#678 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 March 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

• Ragnarok

I thought you meant the Ragnarok with the Lava gun for a minute there; Posted Image

#679 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostAthom83, on 30 March 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

I thought you meant the Ragnarok with the Lava gun for a minute there; Posted Image

A reasonable assumption, but nope, we are going older and more obscure than that :)

Seriously though, I never understood why the SNES remake of the first MechWarrior game needed to have it's own original mechs. Maybe it was due to memory constraints :/, but if those mechs are different anyway, why couldn't they be different existing mechs.

Who knows *shrug*

#680 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 30 March 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Believe me I wish people would vote for certain other mechs as well. The problem is, those mechs I wish people would vote for are typically the 3025 mechs which are driven by nostalgia over "combat effectiveness", because some of those mechs would probably not do well in the current meta for one reason or another.

Most of the popular nostalgia mechs wouldn't even be BAD, they just overlap with what other mechs can already do. Dervish? 55 ton missile carrier.. of course that would be a solid SRM platform.

Crusader? Also a solid SRM platform, could also mix an autocannon with missiles.

Wasp? The -1W has 6E hardpoints, with a 190 engine cap it would essentially be a jumping locust ish, not a bad performer.

None of those are bad, they just aren't what those particular weight classes need right now. (Well, current lights just need buffs, they don't really need any roles filled).

The medium Class could use a could energy boat in the 55 ton range with JJs, or something like the Men Shen.. can take a few energy hardpoints but has MASC so it pokes and hides well.

Heavy Class could use a 75 ton jumper with ballistics in the arm instead of the side torso. Thanatos or Falconer would be great. OR a 75 tonner with some good mounts for direct fire hardpoints including ballistics (see Dragon Fire).

Assault Class, well Fafnir is cool, Sagittaire probably could have been better but nostalgia. Basically just beastly assaults that can boat guns or do the PPC Gauss thing, since there isn't really a great dual gauss assault for the IS currently, whereas the IS is getting a nice fat gun bag in the Annihilator, so we will see how that goes.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 30 March 2017 - 11:19 AM.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users