Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#921 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

Critical Rocket talking about some quality IS chassis.

#922 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 16 April 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Grand Summoner Omnimech. Its a 32nd Century version of the summoner. Both are 70 tons, but the grand summoner drops the fixed Jump Jets, adds endo-steel, and reshuffles internals to have 30.5 tons of pod space (that is more than the timberwolf). It also has more hard points, if you apply the MWO treatment.

In every way it's a summoner without all the built in design flaws of the mech. If you gave the summoner love in the form of unlocked jump jets alone, never mind endo steel, the thing would become a horror on the field.

I CAN HAZ THOR II ?! Posted Image

View PostMetus regem, on 16 April 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

The irony abounds with the Summoner, in TT it is a very powerful duelist in the Prime config, it really drives home the short campaign mind set of the Clans in 3050.... How ever in MWO it is punished for being an Omni-mech as well as having the Timber Wolf S available at the same time. That being said, the Grand Summoner is what the Summoner should've been in the first place...

PGI PLZ!? Posted Image

#923 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:02 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 17 April 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Critical Rocket talking about some quality IS chassis.
Spoiler

So, 'mechs mentioned;
Osiris
Razorback
Mongoose

Lynx
Men Shen
Starslayer

Dragon Fire
Toyama
Falconer

Night Star
Sagittaire
Fafnir

If I had to choose from just these 'mechs;
Osiris - No contest for me. I have fond memories of the Osiris and it has that Raven-esque frame I like on Lights. Razorback takes 2nd for reminding me of an Urbanmech, just less godlike. Mongoose comes in dead last, it looks too goofy.

Starslayer - Look at those right mounts! How can you not love this thing? It's an energy Hunchback / Shadow Hawk (which already exist, but LOOK AT THE PRETTY!) Men Shen is a solid choice in 2nd. A *good* Medium with MASC (Wolverine WVR-7D is 'meh' and Phoenix Hawk PXH-3S lacks hard points or tonnage, depending on what you run it with), based on my beloved Raven, with Endo & a decent sized XL - it would make a respectable first IS Omni Medium. Lynx gets 3rd place for looking goofy, though I admit I like the idea of what looks to be a heavier Cicada.

Dragon Fire - This is where it gets difficult, as this and the Falconer are both solid choices. I give it to the Dragon Fire, because of the ECM. We have a jumping 75 ton Heavy with Ballistics & Energy already. BONUS! With a little alteration (Small Cockpit, C3, Plasma Rifle) the canon Hero can be added with Heavy Gauss & Light PPC. Falconer comes in a very close 2nd, especially that FLC-9R with a Heavy PPC & LB10X. Toyama... meh.

Fafnir - An even closer race, I have to give it to the hero of the FedCom Civil War, the Fafnir! The more I read people talk about the achievements of this 'mech in the FCCW, the more I love it (and I loved it a *lot* to begin with!) It feeds my loves of big guns by mounting two of the biggest in BattleTech. Add ECM and it's just a dream. Nightstar gets my 2nd choice for the Ballistic & Energy potential. Sagittaire is a very close 3rd, as even though it has ECM, I don't think all those Energy variants will be too interesting.

[Edit] Added Razorback & Lynx [/Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 17 April 2017 - 04:37 AM.

#924 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:04 AM

Disappointed a lot of IS counterrattack/Operation Bulldog mechs are being overlooked. Expected due to how far the timeskip jump is. Would love for the Akuma to get in. Japanese Demon Atlas with MRMs please.
Posted Image

#925 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 17 April 2017 - 03:02 AM, said:

So, 'mechs mentioned;
Osiris
Mongoose

Men Shen
Starslayer

Dragon Fire
Toyama
Falconer

Night Star
Sagittaire
Fafnir

If I had to choose from just these 'mechs;
Osiris - No contest for me. I have fond memories of the Osiris and it has that Raven-esque frame I like on Lights. Mongoose takes 2nd, obviously.

Starslayer - Look at those right mounts! How can you not love this thing? It's an energy Hunchback / Shadow Hawk (which already exist, but LOOK AT THE PRETTY!) Men Shen is still a solid choice.

Dragon Fire - This is where it gets difficult, as this and the Falconer are both solid choices. I give it to the Dragon Fire, because of the ECM. We have a jumping 75 ton Heavy with Ballistics & Energy already. BONUS! With a little alteration (Small Cockpit, C3, Plasma Rifle) the canon Hero can be added with Heavy Gauss & Light PPC. Falconer comes in a very close 2nd, especially that FLC-9R with a Heavy PPC & LB10X. Toyama... meh.

Fafnir - An even closer race, I have to give it to the hero of the FedCom Civil War, the Fafnir! The more I read people talk about the achievements of this 'mech in the FCCW, the more I love it (and I loved it a *lot* to begin with!) It feeds my loves of big guns by mounting two of the biggest in BattleTech. Add ECM and it's just a dream. Nightstar gets my 2nd choice for the Ballistic & Energy potential. Sagittaire is a very close 3rd, as even though it has ECM, I don't think all those Energy variants will be too interesting.

You missed the Razorback(30t) and the Lynx (55t)

Of course we can vote for multiple mechs per weight class

#926 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 17 April 2017 - 04:21 AM, said:

You missed the Razorback(30t) and the Lynx (55t)

Of course we can vote for multiple mechs per weight class

You know, I thought it was weird to have 2/2/3/3

They were so forgettable though Posted Image

Off to edit!

#927 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

I finally updated my votes.
IS
Light: Osiris, Anubis
- Osiris: speed and guns, I think it's slightly overgunned, tweak it with more armor and a Light Engine. All 5 lasers stay though
- Anubis: part for appearance, part for missiles and Stealth armor (likely SRM's w/ Artemis)

Medium: Lynx, Lightray
- Lynx: Star League-era laser boat, all I'd need are a Light Engine and swap the PPC with a Large Pulse
- Lightray: Because I can, but I do want mechs with a Blakist background

Heavy: Dragon Fire, Flashman
- Dragon Fire: part for the Marauder relation, part for the heavy-hitting ECM heavy that it is
- Flashman: again, Star League-era pure laser boat, could be fun. Most of my heavy mechs are mixed (lasers+AC's or SRM's)

Assault: Sagittaire, Nightstar
- wanting more 95 ton mechs applies to both, the Banshee would no longer be alone. Also, jumping UAC-20/LBX-20 brawler or jumping massed pulse laser boat, yes please.

Clan
Light: Piranha, Locust 2C
- Piranha: PGI's potential signature mech, not sure why its not here already. 12 machine guns is ridiculous besides.
- Locust 2C: why not? A Clan light battlemech with more focus on lasers, as opposed to the Jenner 2C being mostly known for missiles

Medium: Pouncer, Vapor Eagle
- Pouncer: A 40 ton Adder. Or, a Viper with less jump, less speed, and more gun.
- Vapor Eagle: A second Clan medium with IS level customizability. Could also allow for interesting jump jet quirks in the future

I don't really care about more Clan heavies, we have really good ones already. Ebon Jaguar, Timber Wolf, Night Gyr, etc.

Assault: Blood Asp
- The only one that interests me at all, for its high mounts, ECM, jump jets, 90 tons. Good possibility for options, 1 such thing being a 90 ton, dual Gauss poptart with ECM. Stupid and ridiculous, yes, but still a possibility. Depends where the ECM is located.

Edited by Josh Seles, 17 April 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#928 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:07 AM

It's not just about what individual mechs we'd like, it's also about how we sell them to PGI & how PGI sell them back to us. For example, we've had Resistance 1-3, so how about Renaissance packs? Ren-1: Mongoose, Starslayer?, Dragon Fire, Nightstar. SLDF designs that came back from extinction. Ren-2: Owens, Men Shen, Avatar, Sunder. The IS omni pack. I'd preorder that.

On the Clan side, it's trickier to bundle. But Fire Falcon, Black Lanner or Grendel, Nova Cat & Blood Asp all fill gaps in the existing omni-roster. And it's 1 each for Clans Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Nova Cat & Star Adder if you go with Grendel.

Something else just occurred to me. With the Locust losing its massive array of module slots when the new skill system comes out, Mongoose would finish it off.

#929 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostSoviet Alex, on 18 April 2017 - 03:07 AM, said:

It's not just about what individual mechs we'd like, it's also about how we sell them to PGI & how PGI sell them back to us. For example, we've had Resistance 1-3, so how about Renaissance packs? Ren-1: Mongoose, Starslayer?, Dragon Fire, Nightstar. SLDF designs that came back from extinction. Ren-2: Owens, Men Shen, Avatar, Sunder. The IS omni pack. I'd preorder that.

On the Clan side, it's trickier to bundle. But Fire Falcon, Black Lanner or Grendel, Nova Cat & Blood Asp all fill gaps in the existing omni-roster. And it's 1 each for Clans Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Nova Cat & Star Adder if you go with Grendel.

Something else just occurred to me. With the Locust losing its massive array of module slots when the new skill system comes out, Mongoose would finish it off.

Something else to consider is if Pgi would immediately go for a popular mech or wait to release it at a more strategic time.

I don't think the Mongoose would kill the Locust but the Commando would be even more obsolete.

#930 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 18 April 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Something else to consider is if Pgi would immediately go for a popular mech or wait to release it at a more strategic time.

I don't think the Mongoose would kill the Locust but the Commando would be even more obsolete.

Mongoose from what I can see doesn't do missiles outside of one variant with one missile hardpoint. Yes I know missiles on a 25 ton IS mech is bad, but, Commando's can run a pair of SRM's pretty decently. Outside of that? Yeah Mongoose outright replaces the Commando outside of that one niche role. Though I do like the legs on the Mongoose a lot.
Posted Image
Very solid design imo, has 9 variants that PGI can do, just have to make a hero due to the canon hero isn't possible (no Null Sig or Chameleon Shield) with what we have so maybe a stealth armor toting variant. Even the 76 (even if produced in 77) has no tech outside of what July will bring. No jump jets, which is kind of what I feel a new IS 25 ton mech option would be nice to have, but, as it is, solid option with plenty of energy, tech (plenty of variants with ECM, some with MASC).

#931 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

So Tina and Paul say they look to player interest when deciding things and you still don't have melee or quad mechs on the poll.

#932 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

View PostKarl Marlow, on 18 April 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

So Tina and Paul say they look to player interest when deciding things and you still don't have melee or quad mechs on the poll.

Because they're not getting added? Russ already shot down quads and could you imagine how bad melee would be with our current hitreg?

#933 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

View PostKarl Marlow, on 18 April 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

#934 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 18 April 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

Because they're not getting added? Russ already shot down quads and could you imagine how bad melee would be with our current hitreg?

Melee if it ran on a cooldown could work easily. 1 pt of damage for 10 tons for most mechs, 1 pt of damage per 5 tons for melee mechs like the Hatchetman. Cooldown 20 seconds only works of you have arms. Range one third of mech height.

#935 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 18 April 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

As I recall Russ shot down the idea of the Urbanmech for years as well.

#936 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 18 April 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Melee if it ran on a cooldown could work easily. 1 pt of damage for 10 tons for most mechs, 1 pt of damage per 5 tons for melee mechs like the Hatchetman. Cooldown 20 seconds only works of you have arms. Range one third of mech height.

I'd vote for it given the option but I'm doubtful PGI would do it.

#937 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

Sorry about the slight necro, but I have a pair of IS mechs that probably should be in the polls. Those mechs are the Wight and the Wraith.

Lets start with the Wight.
Posted Image
The Wight was created as the successor to the Panther, and while it utilises the Compact engine(50% heavier than a standard, but provides more room in the CT while also being harder to crit out), it would be a fair light-medium mech. It has similar proportions to the Spider(big torso, scrawny limbs), it starts out with a 175 rated engine(I tried to calculate max engine, but for some reason it came out to 245, while the Panther can go up to a 250 despite mounting a 140 stock), and it's base armament consists of a Heavy PPC and two ERMLs, all located in high-set torso Hardpoints that are conveniently close to the cockpit. It's primary issues would be:

1) No JJs.

2) Size issues(Both in terms of hitboxes and physical size)

3) It uses a Compact engine(It really doesn't need it)

The Wight's Compact engine, while useless for the Wight itself, could potentially be a Godsend for Zombiemechs, like the Centurion or the Atlas, as they could suddenly mount multiple large energy weapons in their CTs, thus retaining respectable firepower while also being hard to kill(Actually, since the Compact engine is 3 slots instead of 6, you could throw a pair of LPLs in the AS7-D's CT while retaining the AC20 and the SRMs. Of course, you'd probably be taking a smaller engine, but with engine desync right around the corner, thats not a big deal). The Wight itself could be a pretty nasty hill-poker with ERPPCs.

Now, the second mech, the Wraith.
Posted Image

The Wraith was created by Curtiss Militech in 3055, and while most at the time likened it to a walking water cooler, they got a nasty surprise when it's capabilities came to light. Mounting a 385 XL(!!!!) on 55 tonner gave it an impressive top speed of 118 KPH, while the 7 Class IV JJS give it good manoeuvrability. Add in the Endosteel chassis and the FF armor(Sarna doesn't how much armor in tonnage, but they describe it as "decent"), and the Wraith has a fair bit of tonnage to play with. The default armament consists of a single LPL backed up by two MPL. While the Wraith does have to compete with the Lightray, it does mount JJs. The Wraith also looks a million times better than the Lightray(I my opinion of course).

#938 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 21 April 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

The Wight's Compact engine, while useless for the Wight itself, could potentially be a Godsend for Zombiemechs

I love the Wight from TT, but let's get some things clear here first.

Compact engines serve only one purpose in this game, freeing up crits for larger weapons in the CT (and the compact gyro is more worth it for the tonnage), and that is a pretty worthless trait (compact gyro makes a bit more sense however, but since gyro tonnages are built into engines, this makes their mechlab more complicated and thus a no-go).

Second zombiemechs aren't relevant and this won't magically change that.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 21 April 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#939 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 21 April 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Compact engines serve only one purpose in this game, freeing up crits for larger weapons in the CT (and the compact gyro is more worth it for the tonnage), and that is a pretty worthless trait (compact gyro makes a bit more sense however, but since gyro tonnages are built into engines, this makes their mechlab more complicated and thus a no-go).

Couldn't Compact Gyro (and Small Cockpit) work like Endo/Ferro/DHS/Artemis? Just have it be a pay-per-change toggle that exchanges crit slots for tonnage. Although, do they (Gyro or Cockpit) weigh more/less depending on chassis and/or engine rating? That would be a problem...

#940 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 April 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Couldn't Compact Gyro (and Small Cockpit) work like Endo/Ferro/DHS/Artemis? Just have it be a pay-per-change toggle that exchanges crit slots for tonnage. Although, do they (Gyro or Cockpit) weigh more/less depending on chassis and/or engine rating? That would be a problem...

That's what I figured. If XL and Compact Gyro, and Small Cockpit, were added to the game they would be upgrades that modify tonnage and slots. They don't scale based on tonnage, it's a flat change.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users