Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#961 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

I try to pick mechs I have heard of while reading the battletech novels, but outside trolling sarna it is hard for me to know what each and every mech is. In what I am getting at is the question, "Are there to many to select from?"

#962 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

I don't think it needs to be added to the poll (since there's not much point after so long), but...

I was reading up on the new PPC and Gauss variants the IS are getting soon and then at a few we aren't getting (yet!). Reading up on Silver Bullet Gauss led me to the Emperor BattleMech.

Well, this seems like a fun "little" machine. Let's run down the variants of this 90 ton 'mech. (Sorry for lack of info, I should probably buy some TROs at this point Posted Image )

EMP-6A
Endo
270 XL
3 JJs (Thanks Moonlight Grimoire!)
12x DHS
2x LB10X
2x LL
2x MPL
1x ML

Pretty good for a base model.

EMP-1A
Primitive tech - SKIP!

EMP-5A
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x AC5
Swaps 12x DHS for 16x SHS

Not terribly exciting and not really much variation with regards to possible hardpoint changes.

EMP-6D
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x RAC5
Upgrades 2x LL to 2x ERLL
Upgrades 1x ML to 1x ERML
Adds 2x DHS

Again, not many changes between this and the 5A or 6A. They could all be rolled into a single variant...

EMP-6L
Swaps XL for a STD (what rating?)
Swaps 2x LB10X for 1x Gauss Rifle
Swaps 2x LL for 1x ERPPC
Swaps 1x ML for 2x MPL (4x MPL total)
Adds ECM
Adds Stealth Armour

Ok, that's more like it! Ignoring TSM, this at least adds a little more variety in armament and hardpoint possibilities.

EMP-6M
Swaps XL for LFE (what rating?)
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x Light Gauss
Upgrades 2x LL to 2x ERLL
Updrades 1x ML to 1x ERML
Adds 1x MPL (3x MPL total)
Loses 2x DHS
Loses 0.5 tons of armour

A little bit of variation. Ignoring the TSM and C3, the only real change is 1 more Energy weapon.

EMP-6S
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x LB20X
Adds 1x MPL (3x MPL total)
Loses 2x LL

Technically loses 1 Energy weapon. Would need crit-splitting to fit an LB20X in the arms.

EMP-7L
Swaps XL for a STD (what rating?)
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x AC10
Swaps 2x LL for 1x ERLL
Adds ECM
Adds Stealth Armour
Loses 1x ML
Loses 3 JJs

Losing the JJs is a change, at least! Technically a loss of 2 Energy weapons.

EMP-8L
Re-Engineered Lasers
Plasma Rifle

Future tech! PASS!

Then we have the 2 possible Hero 'mechs

EMP-6A "Emperor Nerran"
Clan Gauss
IS ERPPC

Mixed tech is unlikely, so that's a solid no.

EMP-6ME "Mercury Elite"
Swaps XL for LFE (what rating?)
Swaps 2x LB10X for 2x Silver Bullet Gauss
Swaps 2x LL for 2x Snub-Nose PPC
Loses 1x ML
Loses 1x DHS
Loses 0.5 tons of armour

OK, so no SB Gauss, but since a regular Gauss is the same size and weight, just hand wave it Posted Image

So if I had to make it a MWO Store compliant package..

Standard / Collector's
EMP-6A & EMP-6A(S) (easily replaced by the 5A or 6D)
EMP-6S
EMP-7L

Reinforcements
EMP-6L
EMP-6M

Hero
EMP-6ME "Mercury Elite"

I, er... forgot where I was going with this Posted Image

[Edit] Added number of JJs - thanks Moonlight Grimoire! [/Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 04 May 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#963 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

As I said in the other Poll thread to your post Jay. The Emperor has 3 Jump jets, btw, looked it up for you. It is a fun looking mech though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Only downside is it is rendered as Victor broad, but, with LFE's wouldn't be as bad. Though, 270 engine rating puts it very slow, atlas speeds, 48.6kph/52.2kph with a max jump of 19m (because PGI hates the idea of assaults being able to jump, seriously, 10m per JJ on an assault would make them useful). Given it's focus on energy and ballistics instead of energy, missiles, and ballistics like the highlander, cyclops, and mauler it is a bit unique for IS 90 ton mechs, more so with having ballistics in both arms while the highlander it is only in one arm, and the cyclops as well as mauler it is in the torsos.

#964 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 04 May 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

As I said in the other Poll thread to your post Jay. The Emperor has 3 Jump jets, btw, looked it up for you. It is a fun looking mech though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Only downside is it is rendered as Victor broad, but, with LFE's wouldn't be as bad. Though, 270 engine rating puts it very slow, atlas speeds, 48.6kph/52.2kph with a max jump of 19m (because PGI hates the idea of assaults being able to jump, seriously, 10m per JJ on an assault would make them useful). Given it's focus on energy and ballistics instead of energy, missiles, and ballistics like the highlander, cyclops, and mauler it is a bit unique for IS 90 ton mechs, more so with having ballistics in both arms while the highlander it is only in one arm, and the cyclops as well as mauler it is in the torsos.

It'd be better if it were 85t so it could have 1t JJ. It's max engine would be 325 like the Mauler, so 63kphish. I don't think it'd match up with a Marauder IIc but it'd looks fun.

#965 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 04 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

It'd be better if it were 85t so it could have 1t JJ. It's max engine would be 325 like the Mauler, so 63kphish. I don't think it'd match up with a Marauder IIc but it'd looks fun.

I see it as a side-grade to the Highlander than a competitor to the Mauler, because it shares a lot of DNA with the Highlander, the ballistic arms, energy torsos, jumping, 90 tons. But, yes, it wouldn't do that well since it would max out around 64kph making it be more fire support which arm mounted fire support is not the "desired" type in MWO when you can boat it in the torsos of a Mauler and strip the arms for tonnage to stuff into ammo.

#966 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 634 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Like in previous poll...

Hmm...

There were so much awesome mechs in the poll, but the best still needs to be taken, so here are my choices atm (of writing of this post):

IS:
  • Light - Owens
  • Medium - Sha Yu
  • Heavy - Champion
  • Assault - Fafnir (Because 2xPR and 4xHML's wrecked the all opposition in Sol7 arenas in MW4:Mercs, but it was volcano-hot... Otherwise, I would take Nightstar).
Clans:
  • Light - Hellion
  • Medium - Lobo
  • Heavy - Nova Cat
  • Assault - Blood Asp (Because there aren't the Deimos).
And that would be all for now. Posted Image

#967 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

I would like to see the Flea added to the poll. Wolf Dragooners, MW4 fellas (like me) and others, would/ might like to pilot this other little annoyance of a mech. I hope Fire Moth fans and Flea fans get our mechs since the new skill tree and engine desync MIGHT be a workaround for the MWO speed limit of 170 km/h ++ which they supposedly otherwise would break.

I will vote Flea instead of Valkyrie.

REMEMBER!

http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/09/449-battlemech-16-flea

Posted Image

#968 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostTordin, on 04 May 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I would like to see the Flea added to the poll. Wolf Dragooners, MW4 fellas (like me) and others, would/ might like to pilot this other little annoyance of a mech. I hope Fire Moth fans and Flea fans get our mechs since the new skill tree and engine desync MIGHT be a workaround for the MWO speed limit of 170 km/h ++ which they supposedly otherwise would break.

REMEMBER!

Posted Image

I have that 3d model and printed it, I should get around to assembling and painting it! Flea would be an interesting addition though, flat out side grade to the Locust, main difference is it's weapons are spread out (look at the art 1E in each arm, in each ST, and in the CT) which to some is bad (convergence) to others is good (can't lose all your weapons so easily). With the death of the rule of 3 would be nice to see.

#969 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Exactly!
Locust is the fastest harasser, zippy bugger while the Flea are a bit slower but packs more punch and while spread, its hardpoints are higher. They fulfill each other.

They at first glance might give the case of "pffff! they look exactly the same so why bother including it?" same for wasp and stinger many want them to but I feel they get shushed down with the "too similar so we must kinda silently convince (downvote/ downplay/ neglect aspects of mech) PGI to hinder those mechs to appear in-game"

Making it appear as not enough want them, whichI bet is NOT the case. Tons of people want the Flea, Fire Moth, Wasp and Stinger. Also we need more light mechs from those weight brackets! PGI wont lose money on those little mechs, nostalgia is one way to get the sales rolling.

Which makes me tremble a little, then they might not appear in Battletech either since HBS are loaning, using mech model assets PGI have, and those mechs I mentioned arent included yet..

#970 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

This thread and the related poll need, like, 100% less Owens and 200% moar Raptor.

#971 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostTordin, on 04 May 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

REMEMBER!

Posted Image

Seems like you have a flea problem, might I suggest:

Posted Image

#972 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

Flea would be nice as another 20 ton option, as the Stinger I would rather have, though the Wasp is pretty good too, both can jump, both are pretty good for energy load outs, so having a jumping spread out energy load out with the option for a RL on it? Nice. Flea would fit in there too of course, but, I have other mechs I want to see before them due to lack of nostalgia for those three.

Firefly, 30 ton IS light mech with more hard points (spread out to boot) with some ECM options, mostly energy with a few missile options. It would give the IS a nice energy boat non humanoid mech and fill the void the IS Jenner left with the rescale and it's poor hitboxes.

Posted Image

The Champion would fill the much needed roll of a 60 ton striker (Rifleman is a gunboat and doesn't stock go at 81kph) as well is non humanoid with chicken legs so it is short, compact with decent mounts. Base has 1M, 4E, 1B, all in the ST's and CT, so you got nice shield arms.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The Nightstar would give the IS a nice squat second 95 ton Assault mech, it would thanks to the lay out of it's weapons be able to bring some serious firepower to bear. Think King Crab but faster and less LRM vulnerable and you can aim side to side with the arm mounted ballistics which to me is the huge downside to the King Crab (due to PGI was anti crit splitting).
Posted Image
Last mech I want is the Sagittaire which is just a friggen beast, and also another 95 ton non humanoid mech to round out the IS 95 ton category with more than one option. It carries a TON of firepower, stock it is 2xLPL, 5xMPL, 1xSPL, 1xERPPC with 17DHS and an XL285. It is a beast, has a lovely profile, and tiny little arms. Easily drop some of that firepower for a LFE (some canon builds do this), slap on LPPC instead of ERPPC, restructure it to avoid Ghost Heat, take the version 9D which dropped the LPLs for 2xLB10X and put in 2xUAC10, 6 tons of ammo, 2xLPPC, 1xMPL, 2xSPL, LFE300 (51.2kph/55.0kph), 13DHS (it's going to be hot), 3JJ (you could strip them, but, I like the potential mobility), max armor, endo steel structure. All about the DPS.
Posted Image

#973 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Looking at the underpopulated weights for IS...
20 (1)
25 (1)
30 (2)
40 (2)
85 (2)
95 (1)

I agree that the Nightstar and Sagittaire are excellent choices for 95 tons, so that's one weight class fleshed out.

For 20 tonners, the Flea comes up a lot, as do both the Stinger and Wasp, but I've seen a few good re-designs for the Mercury (though it suffers the same MASC issue as the Fire Moth).

As for 25 tonners, 2 oddballs. First, the Brigand with an Energy heavy variety of variants, adding Jump Jets to further differentiate it from the Commando. The odd Missile weapon and one with ECM give it a lot of options. Second, we have the Raptor as a pretty solid IS OmniMech. All 3 weapon system makes it different from both the Commando and Brigand and being an IS Omni has to be worth some points!

Onto 30 tonners! Wow, so good many options here. My lovely Anubis brings all the Missiles to the 30 ton category, and looks great doing it. ECM and Stealth Armour make it extra sneaky. The Firefly offers Missiles over the mostly Energy and Ballistic options of the Spider and Urbanmech, with the additional benefits of Jump Jets and 2 with ECM. I like the Hammer for the simplicity. Plus, the 3C has 7 Medium Lasers! Next, while the Hussar has the potential to have a variant with less weapons than the SPD-5V, it also brings some more ECM and a lovely LB10X to the 30 ton table. The Osiris seems very popular around here and with the option to bring almost any weapon, I can see why. Lastly, the Razorback rounds off the 30 tonners with another good mix of all 3 weapon types. However, lacking in Jump Jets and/or ECM hurts it compared to the other options.

For 40 tonners, there's always MW4 nostalgia with the Chimera as a safe bet. Decent weapon selection, looks different to both the Assassin and Cicada, has Jump Jets to take keep it mobile. For the 3025 crowd, there's the Clint, which ticks my box because it rocks an AC on many variants. Again, Jump Jets keep it mobile, although it could have a similar silhouette to the Assassin. Then there's the Sha Yu, mostly an Energy boat and not that interesting, though it does seem popular. For an oddball finish, there's the Strider OmniMech. Honestly, I'm not a fan, but it's definitely something different.

Finally, the 85 ton 'mechs. Well, let's start strong with the Gunslinger. Dual Gauss, ECM and all the lasers? Looks great! The 85 ton slot needs a good Ballistic option and this looks like a good place to start. While it's not Ballistic heavy, the Tai-Sho ticks my PPC box instead! Last but not least, we have the Templar OmniMech. It's got a decent engine rating, Endo & DHS. We could do a lot worse with an Omni Assault.

#974 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:21 AM

Owens is the third most voted light mech.

Democracy is indeed overrated...

#975 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:43 AM

View PostOdanan, on 05 May 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

Owens is the third most voted light mech.

Democracy is indeed overrated...

Well they might think OWENS in terms of MW4 - although only insane guys would want to run a light and >130kph with 2 Heavy LRM racks.
Not that the Owens would be able to carry even 1 LRM15 Posted Image

#976 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 05 May 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

Well they might think OWENS in terms of MW4 - although only insane guys would want to run a light and >130kph with 2 Heavy LRM racks.
Not that the Owens would be able to carry even 1 LRM15 Posted Image

The speed isn't even the greatest problem. The freaking omnimech has SINGLE HEAT SINKS locked!!
(same for Strider)

Yes, they think in this mech with MW4 in mind. I bet that, if the OP had wrote "Hellhound" instead of "Conjurer", it would be the leading Clan medium mech.

Anyway, here is my analysis of the pool results so far:

View PostOdanan, on 05 May 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

IS Lights:
  • Hollander - can't be any good in this game, but was in MechCommander 1, MechCommander 2 and in MWLL (even if it was always the 45 tons "Hollander II" version).
  • Osiris - was in MW4 and MWLL.
  • Owens - omnimech with locked Single Heat Sinks! but hey, it was in MW3 and MW4:M.
  • Wasp - one of the original 14 Battletech mechs.
IS Mediums:
  • Hellspawn - was in MW4.
  • Men Shen - was in MechCommander 2 and it's probably the best IS omnimech out there.
  • Dervish - classic Introductory Battletech Box mech.
  • Chimera - MW4 and MWLL.
IS Heavies.
  • Thanatos - MW4 (and MWLL) mech with a great lead in the pool (even thought, because of the C3, it may never come to MWO)
  • Crusader - one of the 14 original Battletech mechs.
  • Argus - MW4.
IS Assaults:
  • Fafnir - MW4 and MWLL.
  • Marauder II - a 100 tons version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs (as if we don't have enough Marauders yet).
  • Sunder - MW3 and MW4.
  • Longbow - not one of the 14 original Battletech mechs, but came shortly after. And was in MW4:M.
Clan Lights:
  • Fire Moth - MW2, MW2:M (the last of the classic 16 Clan omnimechs not in MWO yet)
  • Piranha - not in any videogame, but could be insane (broken) in MWO.
  • Locust IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs.
  • Hellion - totally obscure, but actually a very interesting light omnimech.
Clan Mediums:
  • Black Lanner - questionable performance in MWO (I think it has a niche, like the Linebacker), but was in MW4:M (Mekpak) and MWLL.
  • Arctic Wolf - obscure, but actually looks good.
  • Shadow Hawk IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs.
  • Griffin IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs.
Clan Heavies:
  • Nova Cat - MW4 and MWLL.
  • Rifleman IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs. And it was in MW2.
  • Grizzly - MW2.
  • Crossbow - not in any videogame and, seriously, Clan heavy with Std. Engine?
Clan Assaults:
  • Blood Asp - the metamech itself. Also in MechCommander 2, MW4:M (Mekpak) and MWLL.
  • Stone Rhino - MW2 and MW4 (Mekpak).
  • Warhammer IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs. And it was in MW2.
  • Phoenix Hawk IIC - the Clan version of one of the 14 original Battletech mechs.
As you can see, the majority of the top voted mechs came from a videogame or a tabletop box, even if there are better rounded alternatives.

Nostalgia, guys. It sells.

PS: why no Flea in the poll? While I hate the little bugger, i'm curious of how many votes it would get.

Edited by Odanan, 05 May 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#977 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hey Moonlight, how about the Anvil as a 60t striker, etc.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anvil

300 stock (360 max) engine, JJ, ecm, high mounts, shield arms and it'd also add to the rather sparse stable of Marik mechs if you care abot that kind of thing.

View PostOdanan, on 05 May 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

The speed isn't even the greatest problem. The freaking omnimech has SINGLE HEAT SINKS locked!!
(same for Strider)

Yes, they think in this mech with MW4 in mind. I bet that, if the OP had wrote "Hellhound" instead of "Conjurer", it would be the leading Clan medium mech.

PS: why no Flea in the poll? While I hate the little bugger, i'm curious of how many votes it would get.

Probably because Russ said it was dead to him. Also Gas was adding mechs as they were requested.

#978 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostOdanan, on 05 May 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

(same for Strider)

Yeah Nostalgia sells (Champion was in MW3, but isn't doing well, did better in the old poll, but, there were less choices). As for the Owens, yeah, SHS would be a tough sell as they would be hard locked, I think the harder sell IMO is the hard locked standard structure and standard armor. If IS Omni's got access to changing out at least armor (I mean it is just slabs you slap on the mech in lore >_>) it would give back a ton. Plus the Owens has C3 built in as well, which I think PGI just is removing for slapping in an extra heat sink or ton of ammo when applicable.

I honestly feel though, IS Omni's mostly would be dead in the water in MWO with Omni construction rules in MWO, as much as I love the Owens, even things like the Sunder (also an Omni) or Avatar will not do that well, Avatar has an XL with DHS, sure, but Standard Structure and Standard Armor going at 64.8kph and the Sunder is in the same department, XL, DHS, Standard Armor Standard Structure, but, it does go 64.8kph out the box which is nice with 36 tons of pod space (if the one out of engine DHS is fixed), 35 if you max armor.

IS Omni's due to their inferior techbase and almost all being locked to XL's (instead of LFE's with Endo for some ungodly reason) need to have different construction rules in MWO for the sake of viability if put into MWO. Keep the hardlocked engine, I think that is fine, but, at least armor needs to be changeable, heat sinks would be nice as well as SHS is just not viable outside of very certain niche builds unless PGI gave some serious quirks and it isn't just the Owens that is an IS Omni that would have hard locked SHS's. I believe the Strider as well would have hard locked SHS. Not that the Strider is that popular.

The Men Shin under these different rules wouldn't gain much as it already has DHS and Endo-Steel, so it can get Ferro if a pilot wanted, because it has the slots to get a ton back, slap in an extra heat sink and have 0 slots left on the MS1-O. I feel this would give a buff without a huge benifit to IS Omni's given how limited IS Omni's are.

Now let's take the Sunder for example, same situation, max that armor out, has the crits for it since no endo or ferro, turn ferro on, get a ton back from ferro being maxed out and have four slots left open. Hardly OP, let's it take an extra DHS or ton of ammo (which it needs for it's weapons). Now what if we instead of unlocking just DHS and Ferro unlocked Endo and Ferro? Well Sunder (we are not modifying the stock Sunder O loadout for reference) and instead used Endo because not enough slots for Endo and Ferro or Endo + Light Ferro we get 4.5 tons back, enough to max armor with 3.5 tons to get the AC20 ammo to 3-4 tons from 2 tons, SRM4 ammo to 3 tons from 2. Not super powerful of course, and that is the goal.

Now back to the Owens, who has a ton of open slots. So the Owens likely will have BAP as fixed equipment in the Left Torso, every version has it I believe, we nuke C3, because C3 really has no place in MWO and put in a extra SHS for the base Owens OW-1 to have it with 2xLRM5, 2xSL, 1xML, 1xTAG, BAP, and 1 ton of LRM5 ammo with 11SHS and a 280XL putting it at 129.6kph/139.6kph. Which running a Jenner K atm with an XL285, that's about fast enough tbh for fire support, for knife fighting you want that sweet sweet 156kph+ that the 300+ engine gives. So if we change IS Omni construction rules (maybe have it cost more?

IDK, it is a one time upgrade really so that is silly punch to the gut that is just rude tax on the mech and to players to make it work so I say no) to allow IS Omni's to take upgrades of just Ferro we got half a ton back from max armor. Throw in DHS (all heat sinks are in engine so it doesn't break canon builds, plus it is upgrades, so we aren't breaking canon builds from existing, just making it so they can function) and drop that spare SHS (which under the old build rules would have been needed) you have 1.5 tons to play with. Which really you can then just slap on say 3ML 2SRM4 on the bugger with 1.5 tons of ammo, something at least half useful. Now if TAG was not hard Locked you could get 4ML 2xSRM4 which sounds fun.

Again this is all with just letting IS Omni's upgrade to DHS and Ferro, but, the Owens sits at 21 open slots with this load out, so enabling endo as well would give it an additional ton to play with for more ammo, or heat sink, or put on 2xMRM10 with only a ton of ammo (or drop a ML for ammo) of course you can drop ML's for SPL if you want to have less range for wubs and shorter burn times. Still though, this wouldn't make IS omni's broken as they are still stuck with their stock engine, and just DHS + Ferro gives some added flexibility. That is just my take on it, with say the 1, A, and B you could get 8E on the Owens, ignoring the TAG slot (because TAG is constant on all chassis) but with TAG being an open E point that is 9E, which would with this be quite an interesting option for this mech, which I mean, sure that's a lot of E points, but, it can only with current rules effectively run 9 Small Lasers, even then... You are going to take a while to cool off so it is not really viable, 1.68 heat/s on that build with 14SHS, ouch, hell, the Owens stock would have 1.2 Heat/s cooling which is just... woof, no.

So, yeah, allowing IS Omni's to upgrade to DHS (like the IS made later Omni's have anyways) and the option of at least Ferro, if not Ferro and Endo would be needed. While yes it sounds like IS Omni's would be OP, most if not all IS Omni's are XLed so, they are pretty easy to take out compared to their Clan cousins, which makes them dangerous Nostalgia sells as they are deathtraps with PGI's current Omni constructions rules. PGI will get better sales if people know what they are buying isn't a deathtrap and can be fun. I doubt PGI would change it due to people cried like crazy about IS getting catch up weapons and then their civil war wapons which sucks because it would be nice to actually get the Owens in MWO and have it useable. I love it, my boyfriend loves it, I even built a possible model for it and printed it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostTheArisen, on 05 May 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

300 stock (360 max) engine, JJ, ecm, high mounts, shield arms and it'd also add to the rather sparse stable of Marik mechs if you care abot that kind of thing.

Probably because Russ said it was dead to him. Also Gas was adding mechs as they were requested.

Anvil would be decent, though another humanoid (one of my only two knocks against it), it has high mounts, something people would enjoy, has good jumps, starts out going fast and can go FASTER thanks to that stock 300 engine rating with 3-5 jump jets open to it letting it get go 26m to 44m of jump distance. Baked in ECM is great, one version has an Arrow IV launcher but also has MASC so PGI could take that as reason to make a striker MASC based version that has Missile launchers on it, would be hilarious. My other knock against it is that it is all energy hard points outside of the Arrow IV variant (which we wouldn't see), little light on how many E points too, most have only 4 base weapons on it, some with 6 which is a little light on weapons points for my tastes for all energy (8 is more of what you want at that weight for all energy so you can do like 2xLPL/PPC 6xSL or such). But, I would welcome it to MWO as it would be a solid striker. It's torso's are not as isolatable as say the Thunderbolt's and no where near as bad geo as the Dragon's so it gets a big thumbs up there, given it's barrel chested nature it will roll damage better than say the quickdraw which really has been suffering unnecessarily at the hands of PGI. What is nice is that it has a head and CT laser, which with PGI inflation would be 2E likely in the CT so you could get 3ML on the CT+Head of it which makes a LFE/STD a good build for it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Leaving out the orginal TRO art because, eh, I'll show it, but, it is "oh god why" worthy.
Posted Image

#979 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 May 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

The Anvil is the IS Heavy I want most, after the Hammerhands (which we will 99% never get). Then we can add the Hammer at the same time, for the lulz (and the lore) Posted Image

#980 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 05 May 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

The Anvil is the IS Heavy I want most, after the Hammerhands (which we will 99% never get). Then we can add the Hammer at the same time, for the lulz (and the lore) Posted Image

If only it were 55t or 70/5 it'd be solo much better. Still I like Moonlight's idea of having a missile boat with masc version.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users