Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#161 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Though the Black Lanner leading the pack with 54 is a bit concerning.... 55t mech with 11.5t of usable pod space when fully armoured is not good.... This is doubly damned by the fact that the Coyotl has 15.5t of usable pod space, and is 15t lighter, moves at the same constant ground speed with out factoring in MASC on the Black Lanner....

Now you know how I feel when I saw the Cougar was announced, that said if the Nova Cat/Blood Asp are included in another "wave" I would be fine with a lesser option considering the IS will probably only end up with 1 good option if that per wave.

I feel like at some point PGI will have to break the mold for the IS and give us a meta pack instead of a nostalgia pack just so IS can have a few better options.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#162 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

You guys should instead create a "most asstacular mech" poll.

Then maybe you'll get what you want.

Edited by NRP, 16 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#163 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostchucklesMuch, on 16 March 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Why do people what so many underwhelming IS mechs?

If you are voting solely on nostalgia and we get more subpar IS mechs as a result. Please DON'T post future complaints about clan mechs being better...

Well, the Black Lanner and Rifleman IIC are doing pretty good in the poll too,.. so I'm not sure it's strictly an Inner Sphere problem.

#164 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Now you know how I feel when I saw the Cougar was announced, that said if the Nova Cat/Blood Asp are included in another "wave" I would be fine with a lesser option considering the IS will probably only end up with 1 good option if that per wave.

I feel like at some point PGI will have to break the mold for the IS and give us a meta pack instead of a nostalgia pack just so IS can have a few better options.

As much as I love the Cougar in TT, I recognized that it would have a significant weakness in MWO... I don't mind bad mechs being added, I do mind when they are added before better options that could be added in the same weight range... I'd personally like 2 strong units before we look at adding mediocre to bad units per weight... how ever that is not always the case.

View PostKanil, on 16 March 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

Well, the Black Lanner and Rifleman IIC are doing pretty good in the poll too,.. so I'm not sure it's strictly an Inner Sphere problem.

Rifleman IIC is actually really solid, if a little slow, Black Lanner... yea I have no way to save it.

#165 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Rifleman IIC is actually really solid, if a little slow, Black Lanner... yea I have no way to save it.

65 ton 'mech with poordubs.

Maybe if PGI gives it some free engine cap...

#166 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Rifleman IIC is actually really solid, if a little slow

The ballistic version is, the LPL version is not. Much like the Anni they would have to significantly raise its engine cap to be useful.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 March 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#167 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 March 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

The ballistic version is, the LPL version is not. Much like the Anni they would have to significantly raise its engine cap to be useful.

I'd imagine they'd bump it to 250, maybe 300... as it stands using 1.2 for the 195 it uses gives us a 234 rounded to 235...

Even bumping it to a 260 cXL, Endo and 11t of FF leaves us with 37.5t of usable space and 33 crits for weapons and equipment... using the 195 cXL and the same Endo and FF leaves us with 41.5t and 27 crits.... again not horrible by any means, especially for the ballistics based version.

#168 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Okay so let's just throw out all the underperforming mechs then since people are clearly only concerned with power creep and one-upping whatever was released previously.

That would be probably 90% of all IS mechs.

Problem solved.

IS powercreep? Yes please!

Currently the best of the clan mechs are better than the best of the IS options, pretty much across the board.

I would like there to be parity at the top end of town. Going on this poll (so far) it appears that the clans will have more meta mechs (and even if they don’t, they are well stocked at present)... IS more subpar mechs... :/

#169 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 March 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Hey that's not fair to the nostalgia players!! ONLY 90% of IS mechs are pure nostalgia plays, the nostalgia/non-comp/non-tryhard crowd need their mechs too!!

#170 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I'd imagine they'd bump it to 250, maybe 300... as it stands using 1.2 for the 195 it uses gives us a 234 rounded to 235...

Even bumping it to a 260 cXL, Endo and 11t of FF leaves us with 37.5t of usable space and 33 crits for weapons and equipment... using the 195 cXL and the same Endo and FF leaves us with 41.5t and 27 crits.... again not horrible by any means, especially for the ballistics based version.

300 seems very unlikely given that the normal IS Rifleman has only 290.

I think the Roflman IIC should be at least 260 (4/6 golden standard for heavies), if not 275ish (to give the IS Rifleman some advantage over it).

Edited by FupDup, 16 March 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#171 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

The Thanatos has garnered a good amount of late-term support. Taking a look at some of the hardpoints, it has a chance for some decent shoulder mounts and potentially a 2 UAC5 arm. An ECM 75 tonner that can do PPCs and UAC5s, or 2 Heavy PPCs and a UAC10... could be pretty solid!

Hopefully the geometry will be a little better than the TRO art, as it doesn't look like it would be quite as XL safe as a Black Knight.

#172 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 March 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

The Thanatos has garnered a good amount of late-term support. Taking a look at some of the hardpoints, it has a chance for some decent shoulder mounts and potentially a 2 UAC5 arm. An ECM 75 tonner that can do PPCs and UAC5s, or 2 Heavy PPCs and a UAC10... could be pretty solid!

Hopefully the geometry will be a little better than the TRO art, as it doesn't look like it would be quite as XL safe as a Black Knight.

Fortunately, the confirmed LFE means you don't need to be XL safe anymore. :D

#173 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

The ballistic version doesn't have the same engine cap because it is a 4/6 iirc, not a 3/5. Being that slow on an energy boat is a pretty big problem.

#174 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 March 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Good thing we will have the LFE and LFF to help offset some of those problems... or you know she could take a payload hit, and use stealth armour with that ECM variant...

#175 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Fortunately, the confirmed LFE means you don't need to be XL safe anymore. Posted Image

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

Good thing we will have the LFE and LFF to help offset some of those problems... or you know she could take a payload hit, and use stealth armour with that ECM variant...

Hmm indeed. That would actually be a decent pick TBH, I remember the MW4 version having shoulder lasers @ cockpit level. One of those rare occasions when a nostalgic mech will actually be decent.

#176 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

The ballistic version doesn't have the same engine cap because it is a 4/6 iirc, not a 3/5. Being that slow on an energy boat is a pretty big problem.

What do you mean? Just quad heavy large lasers and maximum single heat sinks Posted Image

#177 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

The RFL-IIC-2 is 4/6 so it uses a 260 series engine, again standard engine not XL.. same for most of the other variants strangely.... I can only really find one or two variants where I'm not sure on their engine caps... Still i would expect PGI to give it a 250 or 260 engine cap, for the non-4/6 untis and for the 4/6 units I would expect around 310/315.

#178 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 March 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Still i would expect PGI to give it a 250 or 260 engine cap

Which for the RFL-IIC-1 is too low.

#179 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 March 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Which for the RFL-IIC-1 is too low.

Well, it is a slow mech. I mean I got them to raise the Bounty Hunter, with it's same ground speed, to a 300, on a 75 ton mech, which is the same as a 260 on a 65 ton mech. Some mechs just aren't "Ideal", but I'm not sure how much special snowflake treatment we can dole out before it becomes as busted as IS Quirks.

For an energy boat, ideally, probably a 300 would be ideal. Because it's so slow to begin with, I could see them stretching to a 275 maybe... but really... not convinced there is a legit argument to take it beyond, sorry.

Is it being that slow that is really the problem, on an intended "sniper" role mech...or is it having that few internal DHS that is the real issue?

View PostFupDup, on 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Fortunately, the confirmed LFE means you don't need to be XL safe anymore. Posted Image

Yeah because 25% weight savings is the same as 50%......

XL Safe is still a good thing, when it can be had.

#180 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

XL Safe is still a good thing, when it can be had.

And how many IS Mechs, especially Omnimechs, are truly XL safe?

I'm gonna say not all that many. As in less than what a person could count on their fingers and toes.

50 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 50 guests, 0 anonymous users