Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#501 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Woo! I love these poll threads. I always take these to our big Mech meetings. Don't worry we aren't having one soon or anything so don't feel rushed with it but know that we'll be using this~

Thanks OP!

#502 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostTina Benoit, on 23 March 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Woo! I love these poll threads. I always take these to our big Mech meetings. Don't worry we aren't having one soon or anything so don't feel rushed with it but know that we'll be using this~

Thanks OP!

Why not do an official poll?

#503 BanditB17

Competitive Play Moderator & Shoutcaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 517 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 March 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

Why not do an official poll?

Personally I feel like making an official poll gives some expectation of the winning mechs being a guarantee. Taking community generated data to meetings is still a positive.

#504 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostBanditB17, on 23 March 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Personally I feel like making an official poll gives some expectation of the winning mechs being a guarantee. Taking community generated data to meetings is still a positive.

This.

But at the same time.. when we are looking at new content, we're always looking here in the forums for the pulse on what the community is looking for. There's no guarantee on going with what is selected but it does give us a good indication of what is being requested.

#505 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thanks OP!

*slips a few hundred bucks under the table to get the Rifleman IIC in the next pack*

Posted Image

#506 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

I always take these to our big Mech meetings. Don't worry we aren't having one soon or anything

Just how many Mechs are set in the pipeline?

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 March 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

There's no guarantee on going with what is selected but it does give us a good indication of what is being requested.

Unless, of course, the poll arbitrarily excludes evidently popular Mechs like the last one did.
...Fafnir...

Edited by FLG 01, 23 March 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#507 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

This.

But at the same time.. when we are looking at new content, we're always looking here in the forums for the pulse on what the community is looking for. There's no guarantee on going with what is selected but it does give us a good indication of what is being requested.

In that case, I'll trade all the upcoming mechs for maps, VTOLs, armor, Aerospace, infantry, armored infantry, an economy, supply lines, new mission types, salvage, and all the other things that make Battletech and Mechwarrior great! We have enough mechs, but most every other area of the game has been neglected or ignored. New skill trees and new tech isn't the answer if all we do with it is the same damn stuff we do already. The men and women of my unit are bored out of their skulls and praying for some new maps and content - stuff to do. Most mechs are redundant anyway, given that we can frankenmech them into whatever we want. PLEASE concentrate on new content and not new mechs!

PS, glad to see you on the forums again. We miss your dry wit!

#508 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 23 March 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Unless, of course, the poll arbitrarily excludes evidently popular Mechs like the last one did.
...Fafnir...

Or the existence of the poll and the never ending love of potential new shinies gives the Devs the impression that ANY new shinies are much more important to the community than, say, fixing the old not so shiny content that is languishing. Just sayin.

Edited by Bud Crue, 23 March 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#509 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

This.

Paul, I'm normally one of the first to call for a nostalgic mech, but really the IS could use some stronger mechs, than the ones that are up for pre-sale right now... This poll gives a good accounting of strong, average and weaker units... not always in order, point in case the Black Lanner (55t of BAD).....

#510 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

This.

Well, I hope PGI also throws the minority a bone, too, i.e. IS OmniMechs.

#511 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

This.

I think the community would be very understanding that a poll does not guarantee that the most popular option will automatically become reality, as long as PGI is up front about it and makes it very clear in the poll itself. It also seems like a lot more people are likely to vote a PGI-made poll, so the numbers may be more representative.

I think the people who are upset that the popular vote may not become reality would be outnumbered by the people who are happy there's some direct communication between the devs and the players.

#512 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 March 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

I think the people who are upset that the popular vote may not become reality would be outnumbered by the people who are happy there's some direct communication between the devs and the players.

You say that until it actually happens.

#513 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

I think the community would be very understanding

Welcome to MWO! It's a fantastic game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly! :)

#514 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 23 March 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

You say that until it actually happens.

I think I've been very vocal about my support of PGI's efforts to communicate and interact with the players, when it's happened. I was very happy that PGI made a poll about whether the players were ok with selling the Project Phoenix mech packs again, although I was disappointed that the players shot it down. I was also very happy that PGI devs were supportive of my poll about custom geometry. To my recollection, I don't believe I ever claimed that PGI had essentially "promised" custom geometry by showing support of the poll. I was quite aware that there was no guarantees, even though Tina and Denis were somewhat involved.

https://mwomercs.com...ponse-from-pgi/

So yes, I say that now, but I'll also say it after it happens, if it happens.

View PostHeffay, on 23 March 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO! It's a fantastic game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it greatly! Posted Image

All jokes aside, the community is doing itself no favours by painting the picture as so hopeless that there's no point in dialogue.

#515 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

I think the community would be very understanding that a poll does not guarantee that the most popular option will automatically become reality, as long as PGI is up front about it and makes it very clear in the poll itself. It also seems like a lot more people are likely to vote a PGI-made poll, so the numbers may be more representative.

I think having dev made polls on the front page of MWO and somehow in the game would be nice as it would get more of the player population voting instead of just those who bother looking at the forums and reddit. At the same time voting for mechs would be... tricky. Now voting on other things such as where to go with FP, where to go for the next map theme for QP, where to go for a new mode in QP, or adjusting a mode in QP, or primary concerns with a box to type out feedback would be nice. However a good number of people would still ignore it, and another large number would use it as a way to vent anger and frustration at the devs.

Unfortunately community made polls and community created ideas with dev's poking in and leaving a comment or two is likely the best we will see. I do enjoy the dev comments on patches and PTS changes due to it is rather nice to get that insight. I wish we had like weekly dev streams showing off stuff they have told us is in the pipeline being worked on. Like a couple hour stream of people playing the new incursion mode, or streaming of a mock up a new map or somewhere in the pipeline of a new map being worked on. More showing what PGI is up to. I know weekly Q&A sessions is a lot to ask for, but, monthly would be grand. Russ doesn't have to be the go to person either, have chris on again. Have one of the map makers on and talk about a new map and working likely with the balance team for setting up game modes on a map.

As it is, I am happy to see a nod from Tina and Paul here showing that they do in fact take into consideration, and considering CK16's poll was pretty accurate, weigh our votes pretty heavily for what we end up getting.

#516 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 March 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

I think I've been very vocal about my support of PGI's efforts to communicate and interact with the players, when it's happened.

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about people being reasonable if the mechs that were voted for in an official PGI poll were not added. If PGI decide to go against the will of the majority regardless of whether it is actually in the best interest of the game, there will be a sea of salt to sift through on these forums, mark my words. Despite the lower vote count, PGI is better off using community polls like this rather than starting official ones. THAT SAID, this isn't an acceptable method for everything.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 23 March 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#517 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 23 March 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about people being reasonable if the mechs that were voted for in an official PGI poll were not added. If PGI decide to go against the will of the majority regardless of whether it is actually in the best interest of the game, there will be a sea of salt to sift through on these forums, mark my words. Despite the lower vote count, PGI is better off using community polls like this rather than starting official ones. THAT SAID, this isn't an acceptable method for everything.

I'm a big believer in dialogue and communication. You get "salt" no matter what you do, and there's no way to please everyone, but in the long run, open dialogue and communication has a wonderful way of creating sympathy, compassion and understanding.

#518 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks OP!

This.

Noted, and appreciate it every time devs pop in on a subject.

Related, I know the leading Clan light as far as votes is being put on hold due to concerns over its speed re: hit detection, but if the MK 1 Clan MASC was given no speed boost at all, and just given the acceleration, deceleration, and turning speed benefits, it should sidestep the issue of speeds significantly over the 171 kph "barrier" that we currently have.

Even better, the MK 1 Clan MASC is only present in that specific mech. Targeting the MK1 C-MASC itself effectively isolates the problem.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 23 March 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#519 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 March 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

You get "salt" no matter what you do, and there's no way to please everyone, but in the long run, open dialogue and communication has a wonderful way of creating sympathy, compassion and understanding.

Except by going against the wishes of the majority, you will get significantly more salt because that sympathy only goes so far.....

#520 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 23 March 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Except by going against the wishes of the majority, you will get significantly more salt because that sympathy only goes so far.....

The majority? Or the vocal minority? In this game, it is way too easy to conflate the two.

70 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users