Next Meck Pack Poll Discussion! Updated Choices And Dev Comments! Escalation Mechs Removed!

2368 replies to this topic

#1201 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 October 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

Subjective.

But yeah more maps would be good.

We should stop beating around the bush and embrace the Fafnir when it comes to Boomassault.

Otherwise, the Sunder would be the best omni assault to add. Templar would be garbage with low mounted hip level arms.

I am not throwing my money on Templar as garbage, but I wouldn't as great either. It very well could come with Battlemaster level torso mounts. It could be good to decent if designed right, if designed wrong? Well yea not so much.

Fafnir is indeed scary.....depending on its hard point inflations, gauss vomit could be brutal from it....and dual HGR is still meme worthy when it starts hitting targets o.O

#1202 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 October 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

I am not throwing my money on Templar as garbage, but I wouldn't as great either. It very well could come with Battlemaster level torso mounts. It could be good to decent if designed right, if designed wrong? Well yea not so much.

What's the max complement you could put in those high mounts, not utilizing omnipods from variants with unavailable tech?

#1203 Kijiro Bugboy

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

I generally think 95 tons is an underrepresented weight class right now. I originally had the Fafnir as my IS Assault vote, but switched over to the Hauptmann largely because of its status as an IS Omni and being a 95-tonner. Plus it just looks awesome imo, its head mount looks like a cigar.

#1204 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 October 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

What's the max complement you could put in those high mounts, not utilizing omnipods from variants with unavailable tech?

At work currently, will find the spreadsheet I had. Like I said, I won't put money on it being eirher. Though chance of it coming in awful is high I agree. But imo still a cool mech, and one of the fluff mechs important to the era. Should be added sometime (like the idea f meta mechs and fluff ones added from time to time, Sunder should be first though.)

#1205 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 October 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

The main issue with the Templar is having an excess of pod space relative to the amount of open critical slots it has. Basically like the Warhawk of the Inner Sphere. Ballistic boating will be basically mandatory if you don't want excess unused weight.

For hardpoint height most artwork does show one or two weapons (that thing in the LT might not be a weapon) fairly high up, but the rest of pretty low. And of those mounts, the RT one is just a missile.

Posted Image

For reference, here is my hardpoint spreadsheet. Lots of homogeneity all around:

Posted Image

Even if PGI did make one weapon in each ST mounted high, you'd be kind of limited in what you can stick there.

On a side note, maybe I can just add in those C3 Master variants and replace that item with a TC5. I don't think that would really solve the mech's problems though.

Edited by FupDup, 24 October 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#1206 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, I just found my old awareness thread on it and was about to paste it lol.

#1207 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

The main issue with the Templar is having an excess of pod space relative to the amount of open critical slots it has. Basically like the Warhawk of the Inner Sphere. Ballistic boating will be basically mandatory if you don't want excess unused weight.

For hardpoint height most artwork does show one or two weapons (that thing in the LT might not be a weapon) fairly high up, but the rest of pretty low. And of those mounts, the RT one is just a missile.

Posted Image

For reference, here is my hardpoint spreadsheet. Lots of homogeneity all around:

Posted Image

Even if PGI did make one weapon in each ST mounted high, you'd be kind of limited in what you can stick there.

On a side note, maybe I can just add in those C3 Master variants and replace that item with a TC5. I don't think that would really solve the mech's problems though.

Yeah... I'm not digging it.

Sunder has slightly less effective pod space but a lot more slots, and those ST hardpoints are cockpit height, and the arm isn't much lower.

After the UAC10 velocity buff, 2 Heavy PPCs and a UAC10 is a pretty solid loadout for a mobile IS assault, especially if the hardpoints have good heights.

#1208 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,692 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 October 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Yeah... I'm not digging it.

Sunder has slightly less effective pod space but a lot more slots, and those ST hardpoints are cockpit height, and the arm isn't much lower.

After the UAC10 velocity buff, 2 Heavy PPCs and a UAC10 is a pretty solid loadout for a mobile IS assault, especially if the hardpoints have good heights.

I wish! I so want the Inner Sphere OmniMechs. Alas, though, we shall never see them. Thanks, PGI. We just love how we ask for these, repeatedly, only to be rebuffed every time we ask.

#1209 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostHawk819, on 24 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

I wish! I so want the Inner Sphere OmniMechs. Alas, though, we shall never see them. Thanks, PGI. We just love how we ask for these, repeatedly, only to be rebuffed every time we ask.

The Sunder, Raptor, Black Hawk-KU, and Men Shen have the chance to be solid mechs. The Hauptmann might be decent too. No reason not to include them.

#1210 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostHawk819, on 24 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

And get f*cking weirdo, obviously-going-to-be-bad 'Mechs like the Hellspawn.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice CDS, Piranha.

#1211 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Yeah I'm not buying that garbage. I think the Men Shen is probably the only IS medium I would buy right now.

#1212 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

I think the IS needs to get some Omnimechs, though I fear with locked XL engines they will sink fast.

For Clan, I would like to see the pattern broken and challenge PGI to do it.

I would like to see Elementals as a pilotable option.
Can we add that to the poll (consider it a Clan Light 20 ton option) to see what the interest is?
Would personally slap down a decent wad of cash for them right now over any other mechs.

#1213 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Isn't there some announcement of new something at mech con? (Don't recall where when, could have imagined it)... but if so then my guess is IS Ommi's... and the for the love vague balance can we please pick the best of the omni's, if so.

Edit grammar

Edited by chucklesMuch, 24 October 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#1214 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostchucklesMuch, on 24 October 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

Too much Hollander, Black lanner and rifleman ii... Posted Image

Posted Image

#1215 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 24 October 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

:P

For the not wanting another 65 ton but slow clan mech... or do you mean the space gimped lanner, with all the speed and mobility... in brief bursts, but not much else?... or that woeful light?

Edited by chucklesMuch, 24 October 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#1216 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

What if PGI defied all expectations and gave us the Lobo?

Would ya'll buy it?
I really like the mech. :D

It would also be really really neat to have AP Gauss Rifles in the game.

#1217 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 24 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Would ya'll buy it?
I really like the mech. Posted Image

Well, Lobo is my #2 pick for that weight Posted Image

#1218 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:50 AM

Yeah even though I have a fair amount of nostalgia for the Templar I think the Sunder is the better mech and better choice overall.
Omni pack of Raptor, Men Shen, Black Hawk Ku & Sunder would be an insta-buy for me.

#1219 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

Visual is it the Templar for me.

DEUS VULT!

#1220 Kijiro Bugboy

• PipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 57 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationthe homeworld of a race of fuzzy raptors

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 11 October 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

but why when the Vapor Eagle is better in every single regard. Also, a whopping 11 votes for BL vs VE's 8. mislead much?

Yeah, it's pretty much purely due to popularity, and also a little more uniqueness from the Stormcrow. It may not be as optimal a chassis, but it's certainly more recognizable and more likely to be used for a lot of people (including myself, since I know it well from MW4: Mercs with the MekTek packs). Call it overengined, but at least it has a different speed than the Stormcrow, unlike the Vapor Eagle. Afaik the SCR and Vapor Eagle (its designation isn't listed on Sarna) have the exact same podspace, so the only difference would be hardpoints and their placement. They're still different Mechs, but not as different as the Lanner and Crow.

Bottom line, don't shun a perhaps mediocre chassis because it's filler or because you personally don't gain nostalgia from it. I sure do, and other newer-generation TT players and MechWarrior enthusiasts probably do as well. There are plenty of filler 'Mechs in the game right now that get played quite a bit, actually; the Bushwacker (another longtime favorite of mine) comes to mind.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 October 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

And get f*cking weirdo, obviously-going-to-be-bad 'Mechs like the Hellspawn.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice CDS, Piranha.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 October 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

Yeah I'm not buying that garbage. I think the Men Shen is probably the only IS medium I would buy right now.

How dare you downtalk the Hellspawn! Didn't you ever play MW4?! I have a good build for it right here, in fact (the BAP is a placeholder for the ECM): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1ec5f306fdf3a5

View PostNovember11th, on 24 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Would ya'll buy it?
I really like the mech. Posted Image

It would also be really really neat to have AP Gauss Rifles in the game.

I feel that the Lobo has had its spot taken by the Arctic Wolf. Adding the Lobo as well would just produce two rather similar 'Mechs when we could be getting another Clan 55-tonner, of which there is only currently one, the Stormcrow. My current Clan Medium pick is the Black Lanner for the reasons stated above. Yes, the Vapor Eagle is probably a better pick for this, but it just simply doesn't have that popularity and I know that at least I wouldn't be playing it as much.

Lastly, I think the Rabid Coyote and the Ursus should definitely both be added to this list. They would be on the opposite end of the spectrum from the Lanner; slower, more podspace-heavy Clan Mediums. In the case of the Ursus it would have to be limited to Clan tech unlike in the lore, but that could easily be done. You'd also have to make up some variants, but PGI clearly has had no problem doing that in the past. Thanks go to aforementioned related polls and a certain Sarna article for bringing these MW4 vets back to the forefront of my mind.

Edited by Asriel Dreemur, 25 October 2017 - 01:15 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users