175 replies to this topic

#81 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

No P2W here, kinda bland hardpoints, except a few. Namely the MDD and Fenris for example., some Redditers on the contrary (well most of them) says otherwise..

Anyway. I was strongly hoping that PGI could do something unique, like having a MDD mk II with chin turrets (preferrably 2 energy hd) as a hero mech and make up and insert a clan warrior who also used a MDD Mk II, like Eric Dresari (the Davion IS MW4 Vengeance daddy who died in a xplooosion!).
Same for the Shadow Cat I strongly hoped for a setup like the Shadow Cat in the MW4 Vengeance intro. at least 1 missilie hardpoint in each side torso and energy hp in the arms (?)

If you havent figuered it out yet. YES I do want to role play the setup which was shown in the MW4 V intro Posted Image

Still Im happy they went with lore true pilots and their respective mechs, though I had really hoped for the above described configs/ variants. Still hoping, since we are about to hit the Civil War era after all.

BTW, yes extend the sale period by one week or so, if possible. Not for me, but I guess some folks need the the chance to buy by having some extra time due to reasons Posted Image

Also please correct the lore/ canon details for some of the hero mechs, the EXE for example...

Edited by Tordin, 05 April 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#82 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostSpookyFish, on 05 April 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

This right here. Seriously, has anyone complaining about P2W ever ACTUALLY played a game that was P2W? Never have I entered a match in MWO and thought "oh no they have mech x on the other team, I LITERALLY cannot win this match" or come up against an enemy mech and thought "there is literally no way for me to destroy this mech because I didn't spend $x.xx to get the OP pay features."

PGI does a great job with these releases. That MDD looks awesome (shame about the art though)

You have the right to be wrong, but don't pass it off as truth

An advantage is an advantage, but that doesn't mean you'll win. Give a Potato a SupaHunchDakkaBear (prime example of P2W on release), but he'll still do terrible
However, the record amount of 8+ kills and 1600+ damage from a competent player shows what it can do

Nothing in these packs is that blatantly overpowered
But, a Myth Lynx with 33% more guns is nearly that much more potent. That is pure P2W on that chassis
"But you can just grab a Cheetah" is not a solution. The Myth Lynx is garbage unless you spend $$
Grabbing another Gundam doesn't solve that issue.

You can twist your personal definition all you want, but that doesn't twist the truth
These robots are more powerful if, and only if, you spend $$

#83 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostBrethren, on 05 April 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

I really don't see a lot pay-to-win options here. These are a lot make-a-average-chassis-a-bit-better options.

Oh, and if anyone want's a round of cbills-to-win get a Marauder IIC, now!

Just wanted to give both paragraphs a big +1

#84 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 04 April 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

It's bad for the game
It was bad when the Dragon Slayer and Ember were the best mechs in the game.

Tell me, if a robot can have more weapons than another, but you can only get those extra weapons if you pay $$...what do you call that?

GGclose

Robots, I don't see no robots, Mechs yes, Robot no.
Last I checked, Tesla was a car, not a robot.

As for the Dragon Slayer and Ember, hahahahahahahahahaha, Remember in Beta when ravens where OP and 2xAC20 K2 was game breaking.

Argument irrelevant.

#85 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostAmro One, on 05 April 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Robots, I don't see no robots, Mechs yes, Robot no.
Last I checked, Tesla was a car, not a robot.

As for the Dragon Slayer and Ember, hahahahahahahahahaha, Remember in Beta when ravens where OP and 2xAC20 K2 was game breaking.

Argument irrelevant.

Shifting goalpost, not addressing Gundam issues
Try again

#86 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostLily of Thrace, on 04 April 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

An Ice Ferret with ECM? Always liked the look of them, but never bought one since they seem dead in the water without the ECM. This'll change that. Me buying them, I mean.

Ice Ferrets are far from dead in the water. I can think of at least 3 builds off the top of my head that are very effective with them. They are just an underappreciated mech that doesn't boat enough to gain the favor of meta gods

#87 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 April 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

Shifting goalpost, not addressing Gundam issues
Try again

I don't see goalposts shifting. You see goalposts shifting? Maybe your drunk and need to go home. But maybe you don't know what "shifting the goalpost" means, which wouldn't surprise me at all, since a lot of folks around here have the wrong idea about "pay-to-win" as well.

#88 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostFrechdachs, on 05 April 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

I don't see goalposts shifting. You see goalposts shifting? Maybe your drunk and need to go home. But maybe you don't know what "shifting the goalpost" means, which wouldn't surprise me at all, since a lot of folks around here have the wrong idea about "pay-to-win" as well.

You're right, it was actually completely ignoring the question, not goalpost moving. I assume that was his next step( see, "but cheetah is better than Myth Lynx!" Argument)

You're also right about the P2W comment
You guys seem to have no idea what it means

#89 Axex

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationInterned on Yorii

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#90 DESTRUKTROTRON

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostAmro One, on 04 April 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

PTW, is over used. I think the comp round table had more whining in it than this thread.

All those PTW first wave heros are barely ever seen, let alone used in competitive drop decks.

GG forumwarrior failures

Logged in just to like this comment

#91 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

There are some awesome camos in there!

Please consider upgrading the Cheetah hero. The 2B RT omnipod is certainly useful, but the 1M LT isn't good enough to replace the 1E ECM and both arms don't offer anything new. So the 2B RT alone isn't enough for me to buy the mech. 2M LT would convince me to buy it.

#92 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

I'm not overly concerned by any of these hero mechs, personally. Most do add variety rather than making them OP. And some wicked skins are the best reason to buy some of them, like the Cheetah. That pattern is awesome!

Except maybe the Shadow Cat. I love my Shadow Cats, and it really needed one more E or M hard point for a long time, but I will add my +1 to the chorus of "give the Shadow Cat a LT to rival the ECM pod" comments. Right now there's basically no other options to consider, outside the 6xMG build which I don't love. Keeping the new 1B+1E right arm will be awesome, but I'd honestly give it 1M in each side torso instead of 2M in the RT.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 05 April 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#93 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Name two things that they all have in common.

1. They look nice
2. They are crap, maybe except ECM fridge

#94 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 05 April 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Name two things that they all have in common.

1. They look nice
2. They are crap, maybe except ECM fridge

yeah, the new options for gargoyles are terrible and they should be berated for offering that... It's good you went into detail about what your issues are so we can consider your thoughts on them in depth.

#95 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

Good. I need that Mist Lynx. <3 <3 <3 (and maybe the IFR)

#96 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Oh goody, more things to buy Posted Image

Let's have a looksee...

MLX - That 2E RT might get me to pilot a Mist Lynx again. 2M LA is meh. Maybe.

ACH - 1M LT vs a 2E or 1E1ECM isn't to great. Make it 2M and maybe it's worth it? 2B RT? Hm, I guess 3 HMGs on the right could be fun... Another maybe.

IFR - ECM LT is nice. A bit P2W, but nice (plus it's an IFR, not exactly the king of Light 'mechs). Same with the 1M RT, could help with the SRM potential. Not seeing much use for the 1B RA. Yet another maybe.

SHC - 2M RT will help SRM builds. 1E1B RA isn't too great, not much spare tonnage. It's a maybe.

MDD - 1B RT and LT could be interesting. Maybe...

EBJ - 1E1B RA and LA don't look too interesting, I never had much success running SRMs (or LRMs) on the EBJ. Perhaps ATMs will change that? Now, the 1B LT? Yes please! I love me some symmetry. That's the first definite purchase.

HBR - Not bothered about the 2M RA for the same reasons on the EBJ. 2E RT has a little potential, I just don't think I need more laser vomit in my Clan Heavies. Maybe.

GAR - 2M LT and 1M RT - a little more P2W, but like the IFR it's not that great of a 'mech in this class, so it's not that bad. Another maybe.

EXE - 2M RT and LT could be fun, all depends where they are mounted. I would have bought it instantly if the LT was 2E or 2B or 1B1E or even 1B. As it stands? Maybe...

TL;DR
EBJ - YES!
The rest - 50 Shades of Maybe

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 April 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

No 2E Executioner left torso???? Much disappoint, saves me $25.

I agree! Or 2B, 1B1E, or even just 1B...

[Edit] Wait, the SHC Hero is called "Mishipeshu" ?
Mi-Shipes-Hu
Me Snipes You ? Posted Image [/Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 05 April 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#97 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 05 April 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

yeah, the new options for gargoyles are terrible and they should be berated for offering that... It's good you went into detail about what your issues are so we can consider your thoughts on them in depth.

Truth be told I was fully expecting Conal Ward's config with ECM and light TAG in CT, now that the tech level allows for it. Not like Gargoyle sees too much usage as it is, but Ulric's config is still better than nothing.

#98 Falconer Cyrus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

My favourites are cheeta, shadow cat and ebj. No one of them has better hardpoints then existing variants. Disappointed.

#99 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

The more I think about the mechs, the more I believe it isn't the hardpoints, themselves, but their locations. It was like they were not taking into account the existing pods. A couple examples to illustrate the point:

Shadow Cat currently has a 1M RT. Now they are providing a 2M torso which is outright superior to the existing option. Meanwhile, the Shadow Cat has had the ECM left torso be the de facto only option for the mech due to a lack of useful choices there. However, if the second M hardpoint on the hero was moved, instead, to the Left Torso, which is completely empty in the Hero mech, mind you, it keeps the same number of missile hardpoints, but provides a hard choice for the player. ECM or an extra usable weapon hardpoint for a mech with its limited pod space?

Executioner hero is a similar issue. There was little consideration as to existing omnipods and how it could be abused, here. To drive the point home, you can, with the hero ST pods, make an EXE with 6 ERSLas and 6 Artemis SRM6 with enough ammo and cooling to function. That is all kinds of nuts, especially on a platform that can move 90 in short bursts. However, if the main objective of the hero was to give it splat options, they should have placed those torso missile hardpoints in the arms. 2M/arm would mean the maximum number of missile hardpoints would go up, slightly, but they'd be at direct competition with the laser-fist or would simply duplicate the loyalty left arm. The hardpoints themselves would not be a clear advantage in the overall status of the mech. It would simply provide a set of nice options for the pilot.

Same goes for the Gargoyle. The Hero provides the only way to get side torso weapon pods. Missiles and energy are weight efficient, so providing missile hardpoints on a tonnage starved mech on locations exclusive to the Hero is... shady. If, however, they were shifted to the arms, you'd have an interesting option there. You'd compete with the 1B1M arms or the energy fists with these new SRM fists. Those could be cool, without directly one-upping the existing options.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 April 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#100 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

Neither the Hellbringer or Shadow Cat come with ECM, and you're calling them hero mechs? lol

Sorry, but I don't trust that you won't nerf the **** out of the ECM omnipods once these hero mechs are released, so there's zero chance I'll be risking spending my money on a mech that you nerf into cannon fodder shortly after I buy it.

Edited by ShooteyMcShooterson, 05 April 2017 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users