Steam Users And The Skill Tree

72 replies to this topic

#1 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

Rofl, MWO dropped from very positive to Mixed reviews almost overnight because of the skill tree update. PGI, drop the skill tree, it's garbage. Just expand upon what you already had, you're scaring off all the steam kids. That and the skill tree is garbage, I can agree on that.

#2 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

I disagree with it since it's an improvement over the previous way of doing things. Steam is not a valid metric anyway.

#3 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

Improvement? Rofl, git gud. Maybe if PGI made the skill tree unlimited, IE, I take the time to get all the skill nodes, I can have all the skill nodes active at once.

#4 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

What a shocker steam troglodytes raging over change, come back when Steam isn't a hive of stupidity, toxicity and retardation.

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Improvement? Rofl, git gud. Maybe if PGI made the skill tree unlimited, IE, I take the time to get all the skill nodes, I can have all the skill nodes active at once.

That'd defeat the purpose of the skill tree. I think Clan Baked Kitty needs their iron wombs checked, I think Davions got into them again and spilt their kool-aid in it again.

#5 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:27 PM

Not really

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

What a shocker steam troglodytes raging over change, come back when Steam isn't a hive of stupidity, toxicity and retardation.

That'd defeat the purpose of the skill tree. I think Clan Baked Kitty needs their iron wombs checked, I think Davions got into them again and spilt their kool-aid in it again.

Not really, skyrim and fallout had a similar theme when they came out and got replaced with a tree that could be maxed out. The tree is ****, 70% agree, get over it.

Also worth noting, change is not always for the better, that argument is moot.

Also, it doesn't make it OP, so don't even try to make that argument. If anyone sinks the time into it, they can max out the skill tree as well.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

I like the skill tree change, as the old one badly needed revamping. However, I would prefer it if there was no skill tree at all.

#7 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 25 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

When pgi relies on these "steam troglodytes" for a significant segment of exposure and revenue, it actually is in their best interest to do something instead of ignoring it.

Considering pgi doesnt really do visibility ads for mwo, steam users are kinda mwo's influx of new blood. Ignore negative feedback on steam at your own peril.

I'm enjoying the new skill tree and am not in the "revert to.old system or riot" group. But when the new skill tree causes such a ruckus on a large platform like steam, maybe some emergency meetings in russ's office are in order.

#8 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

Well, I found this game over Steam and playing it since almost a year and a half now.

I absolutely love the new skill tree! Way better than this abomination that was before the patch.

#9 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostPhoolan Devi, on 25 May 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

Well, I found this game over Steam and playing it since almost a year and a half now.

I absolutely love the new skill tree! Way better than this abomination that was before the patch.

I'm not saying the system before was perfect, the skill tree does add some cool new features, but the bit with the old system is EVERY mech had access to it, this new skill tree is extremely limiting and linear. My opinion of course, but I can think of more than quite a few that agree with me the skill tree restricted a lot more than it added to the table.

#10 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

No you were gated to lower tiers of bonuses if you didn't shell-out for multiples of a chassis. Every mech as access to the same skill nodes as everyone else. The potential of the mech is only limited by your willingness to play. This system to way better in my eyes.

Haters gonna hate.

#11 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

I'm not saying the system before was perfect, the skill tree does add some cool new features, but the bit with the old system is EVERY mech had access to it, this new skill tree is extremely limiting and linear. My opinion of course, but I can think of more than quite a few that agree with me the skill tree restricted a lot more than it added to the table.

Under the old system, every mech had access to it. Namely the original modules that are now skills. I prefer to spend XP that I earn at a faster rate then to spend millions of Cbills that takes forever to earn on top of having to master three mech variants per chassis. I remember the old system rather well and this is easier to earn in comparison.

#12 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

Under the old system, every mech had access to it. Namely the original modules that are now skills. I prefer to spend XP that I earn at a faster rate then to spend millions of Cbills that takes forever to earn on top of having to master three mech variants per chassis. I remember the old system rather well and this is easier to earn in comparison.

You failed to note the fact I said the old system wasn't perfect. Yes, the old system needing 3 mechs to reach elite tier skills was lame, but again, that could have been implemented without this restrictive skill tree. I seriously have to use 3 whole skill points just to unlock adv zoom when I could simply buy a module before, which makes a whole lot more sense? Rofl.

#13 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

You failed to note the fact I said the old system wasn't perfect. Yes, the old system needing 3 mechs to reach elite tier skills was lame, but again, that could have been implemented without this restrictive skill tree. I seriously have to use 3 whole skill points just to unlock adv zoom when I could simply buy a module before, which makes a whole lot more sense? Rofl.

You are failing to account for the advanced zoom module cost 10 million c-bills plus the 5-12 million c-bills on top of that to get a proper sniper mech to use it in. Now, you had to master 3 mech variants to be able to unlock advanced zoom. This means that now you are looking at 10 million+20-48 million=30-58 million c-bills just to buy everything you need to earn the XP to unlock it and use it. Average match rewards are about 75k-150k, so you're looking roughly 390-450 matches. With an average match lasting 10 minutes that equates to 65-75 hours of playtime. Which makes more sense; no mech variants and modules to buy and use the XP you accrue in one quarter of the time or where you have to grind for 65-75 hours to be able to use the modules? Seems to me that it's the first one that makes sense.

#14 Moadebe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

You could apply this to yourself. There are flaws with the skill tree...I get that. However, the skill tree was severely needed and I love it personally.

The git gud comment....lmao *shakes head because he read that from someone whining about the skill tree...*

#15 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

You are failing to account for the advanced zoom module cost 10 million c-bills plus the 5-12 million c-bills on top of that to get a proper sniper mech to use it in. Now, you had to master 3 mech variants to be able to unlock advanced zoom. This means that now you are looking at 10 million+20-48 million=30-58 million c-bills just to buy everything you need to earn the XP to unlock it and use it. Average match rewards are about 75k-150k, so you're looking roughly 390-450 matches. With an average match lasting 10 minutes that equates to 65-75 hours of playtime. Which makes more sense; no mech variants and modules to buy and use the XP you accrue in one quarter of the time or where you have to grind for 65-75 hours to be able to use the modules? Seems to me that it's the first one that makes sense.

Cbills was never an issue for me, I own nearly every clan mech, minus the useless myst lynx, and I had at least 1 variant of each mech outfited with all the modules I needed. The 3 chassis thing was lame yes, but again, a simple update to the old system could have fixed that.

View PostMoadebe, on 25 May 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

You could apply this to yourself. There are flaws with the skill tree...I get that. However, the skill tree was severely needed and I love it personally.

The git gud comment....lmao *shakes head because he read that from someone whining about the skill tree...*

Please come 1v1 me tomorrow night so I can wreck you Kurita scum.

#16 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:24 PM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:16 PM, said:

Cbills was never an issue for me, I own nearly every clan mech, minus the useless myst lynx, and I had at least 1 variant of each mech outfited with all the modules I needed. The 3 chassis thing was lame yes, but again, a simple update to the old system could have fixed that.

Cbills is an issue for most players that haven't played it before or they are old vets like me that got hosed in CB due to repair and rearm mechanics. Under R & R, any missile pilot would go into the red regardless of a win or a loss due to the costs of ammo.

Posted Image

Argue all you like but logically the new way is a big improvement over the old way.

Yes, they did fix the old system by giving us the new system we have now. I remember very clearly during CB/OB that they would be revamping the skills and how it was done because the majority of the playtesters said the exact same thing I did. It's not easy for new players and puts an artificial time sink and a gate on them.

I noticed that you are intentionally ignoring the time needed to get the money for the modules and mechs under the old system for most new players. Yup, it's nice to argue when you ignore the foundation of what your opponent said.

#17 Mappingway

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

Cbills, a currency in a game you paid absolutely nothing to download and play... yeah... if only other games did that, I'd have saved 1000$'s of dollars. Spend the time to get the cbills then? Lol?

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,921 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

its grown on me since it went live. it fixes so many problems that quirks and modules brought on.

#19 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:45 PM

View PostMappingway, on 25 May 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Cbills, a currency in a game you paid absolutely nothing to download and play... yeah... if only other games did that, I'd have saved 1000$'s of dollars. Spend the time to get the cbills then? Lol?

And that makes you not the average player. I did spend money if you hadn't noticed. Do you the see medallion under my title Overlord? I bought the Overlord pack for the Phoenix Package way back when it was announced.

Now for further demonstration on how far removed you are from casuals. Your average casual player has roughly two hours a day to spend playing a game. Due to real life they can maybe play 4 days out of the week if they're lucky. Taking the aforementioned numbers of 65-75 hours to be able to use the advanced zoom module that equates to 8.125-9.375 weeks to achieve it. Not very new player friendly is it? This is why the server pops are low today because of this time sink to earn the money enough to buy everything needed to use the modules. I haven't even included the time required to earn the millions of cbills needed to customize the mech either. For a good customized mech, you're looking at about 5-12 million on top of the cost for a good sniper mech chassis. Again, this increases the time needed to be able to use a gameplay feature. That is not good game design and PGI knew it back during CB. This is why they promised to change it to what we have now.

View PostWil McCullough, on 25 May 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

"big improvement over the old way"?

lol you haven't played a game of mwo on all 11 seasonal leaderboards.

i don't even know why you think you're qualified to argue anything rofl.

Leaderboards mean nothing as does your pathetic attempts to demean me. Stop stalking and harassing me.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 25 May 2017 - 11:49 PM.

#20 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 25 May 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

Leaderboards mean nothing as does your pathetic attempts to demean me. Stop stalking and harassing me.

leaderboards track every single game of every single player who played any game during that time frame. recently, pgi changed the requirements though. you now have to play a minimum of 10 games to be on the leaderboards. it's been that way since season 9(?).

it's also publicly accessible. by showing N/A on all 11 leaderboards, it essentially tells anyone that you literally have not played a game of mwo for like 5 years. which makes you absolutely unqualified to participate in any discussion regarding balance or features.

i'm not stalking you btw. you're not that famous and i actually don't know you from squat.

you just seem to be commenting in a lot of topics that catch my eye, and most, if not all of the time, i see you trying to debate about the game even though it's publicly available that you actually... don't play it. which is hilarious and worth pointing out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users