The Lost Art Of Pressing The "r" Button

196 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

I have played this game a lot. More then I probably should have. However, what I do not see a lot of people doing is pressing the "R" button to target enemy opponents. No, I am not talking about holding locks for LRM boats. I am simply talking about pressing the R button when you see an enemy that is within range.

Targeting the enemy by pressing the R button really does help the team. When an enemy is targeted by a friendly because this friendly pressed the R button, that targeted enemy shows up on every players minimaps even if all other players are not in line of sight to the targeted enemy player. Just because you visually see a mech does not mean your whole team does. One has to press R to have this enemy mech show up on everyone elses minimaps.

What helps even more is pressing the R button, then scanning the horizon as one continues to press R, highlighting all the enemies in line of sight. This is so your teamates do not walk into firing lines and it helps the team see where the enemy is at. When I view players after I die, it appears many players do not do this.

The first thing every players should do when they see an enemy player is press the R button if possible (not being fired at the moment). It should simply be good habit and not really even thought about. Like turning the turn signal on when you switch lanes in your car. Shouldnt even be a thought, should be automatic and just habit.

Unfortunately, this practice, this habit, seems to be used less and less as the years go on.

I propose giving a higher incentive (both C bills and general XP skill) to the players that do this (press R to target enemy mechs throughout the game).

Right now, this skill is called "scouting" and every player, even if not a light can get a scouting bonus each time they successfully press the R button and target the enemy. It does not matter if you are in a light or an assault or any weight class in between. All weight classes get the scouting bonus for each succesful mech targeted by pressing the R button. I propose making the rewards much higher for each "scouted" mech targeted.

Also, I propose giving a bonus on top of the regular "scouting" bonus. If a player successfully "scouts" or rather, presses the R button to target the enemy, they should get an additional incentive/bonus on top of the regular scouting bonus if the targeted mech gets hit from a friendly teammate.

I really do not know how else to get people to contribute very important info to the rest of the team by just simply pressing the R button.

#2 Wraith31

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Some people deliberately avoid pressing R because it means that LRM boats are deprived of targets. With damage glow, you can see where you hit them...

If you starve the buzzards long enough, they move on to scavenge somewhere else.

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

They should just get rid of the free C3 and require that players allot a slot + tonnage to upgraded computer systems. Things like access to using radar derp, sensors buffs, target decay, any of the improved mobility/weapons (ie most all of the skill node upgrades) slots should all require various levels of computer upgrade to unlock for use.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Some people deliberately avoid pressing R because it means that LRM boats are deprived of targets. With damage glow, you can see where you hit them...

If you starve the buzzards long enough, they move on to scavenge somewhere else.

That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

#5 Wraith31

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Damage glow m8, I see where I am shooting them.

#6 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

I hit R pretty constantly, mainly because I want to see the damage ragdoll. However, there are times I consider not doing it to discourage the LRM hiders in the back. I still hit the durn button, but I wish there was some way to root the LRM assaults off the back line and into the fight.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Damage glow m8, I see where I am shooting them.

No, you are lowering your team's win chance by intentionally preventing friendly LRMs from hitting the target.

And, you have less idea on the enemy's actual weak point. You could be shooting a perfectly healthy torso when the one right next to it is red.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 May 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#8 Wraith31

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

No, you are lowering your team's win chance by intentionally preventing friendly LRMs from hitting the target.

And, you have less idea on the enemy's actual weak point. You could be shooting a perfectly healthy torso when the one right next to it is red.

I am also preventing them from hitting me in the back while they try to kill the target I spent all the time killing...

#9 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

Always hit R. If you want to spite the backline Lurmer, just keep changing targets.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

I am also preventing them from hitting me in the back while they try to kill the target I spent all the time killing...

That only happens if you are hugging the target from certain angle. And what's wrong about kill securing? I'm sure you have done enough securing as well.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 May 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#11 Trafalgar

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

You're also blinding your team, and preventing them from assessing the tactical situation properly. This hurts more than lrmboats, your dumb ego trip strat hurts your entire team and greatly reduces your chances of winning. But hey, at least you got that one solo kill bro. Sick.

#12 Wraith31

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

That only happens if you are hugging the target from certain angle. And what's wrong about kill securing? I'm sure you have done enough securing as well.

I secure my own kills...I do not want help with that...especially from someone not sharing armor.

#13 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

I press R when I can which is most of the time. Sometimes during a fight, I have other things going on. Also I don't need R to hit targets as I remember every mech I hit and where I hit it. Having said that I would never press R to deny someone else a kill, but in battle, I may be maneuvering enough that Press R is just not the first thing I am going to do.

#14 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

When when I see t4s use r they hardly if ever aim for weak points. now that pgi has made the mech info into nodes why waste time waiting for it to show up when the enemy is probably shooting you already? You can see and if you're being hit tell without the r that the enemy has weapons x,y, and z. Having max sensor nodes with bap/cap makes it pretty much show up instantly thus is the first best tree to skill out if you are trying to play a lrm or scout mech.

#15 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

The only time I intentionally don't hit R is after reading some "hold locks plz I r lurmboat" in team chat. My team's shot at winning went straight to hell when those lurmers are assigned to it, so who cares if it takes another hit?

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I secure my own kills...I do not want help with that...especially from someone not sharing armor.

Posted Image

#17 Wraith31

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

you prefer team mates not sharing armor? Taking a 12 man push with 4 standing out of sight? Do you feel that is the best way to play the game?

#18 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:23 PM

I doubt anyone is doing that intentionally. The exception maybe when he finds an afk mech.

On the other hand I have more and more lurmers which cry out because people switch targets with "r" too fast for them. I have no sympathy for those people because often it is necessary for me to get the information while that dude hangs out safely in the back instead of getting locks himself

Edited by Bush Hopper, 31 May 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#19 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

I remember this was pretty common before. We would get a thread asking why no one presses R. And people would actually answer with this. One time in a match someone asked for locks and someone berated them saying they can get their own damn locks. LOL

I don't condone it. Why screw yourself and your team over. But it's funny how spiteful people are.

#20 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostWraith31, on 31 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

a she says right before her team gets roflo stomped

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users