Ac2 Blackjack?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

Is this build for this mech any more viable now with the new skill tree than it was before? It's kept its potato hose cooldown quirks and with the skill tree I can give it armour quirks to go with the structure ones it has. This seems like it could work to some extent but I could be wrong?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:05 PM

If you can spare the skill points, the extra armor is nice. Otherwise focus more on the structure bonuses in the skill tree as well as the crit-hardening nodes to help prevent your equipment from getting destroyed.

I personally enjoy using twin UAC/5s with an XL 180 engine. AC/2s should work but you'd want to stay farther from the field, definitely pack in velocity, range, and "magazine" quirks.

Another side note:
Think of the Blackjack... with twin Rotary Autocannon 2s firing like miniguns...

Betcha can't wait.

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostKoniving, on 02 June 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

Another side note:
Think of the Blackjack... with twin Rotary Autocannon 2s firing like miniguns...

Betcha can't wait.

Considering I also have Riflemans, no, I can't wait at all

#4 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

I just played my AC2 BJ-1 tonight for about an hour. I felt like it did okay. Still hard to get really high damage numbers just because of how long you have to hold down the trigger to really spend your ammo.

Fun games though.

#5 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 03 June 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

I just played my AC2 BJ-1 tonight for about an hour. I felt like it did okay. Still hard to get really high damage numbers just because of how long you have to hold down the trigger to really spend your ammo.

Fun games though.

Yeah, AC2's are high on the fun factor, but unless you can find some components to knock out, the numbers just never seem to add up.

Rotary AC2's are probably going to be a kick in the pants - but something tells me i'm going to be spending time attempting to dodge and weave with locked up main weapons waiting for them to unjam!

#6 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I've been pretty disappointed with my AC2 BJ-1. I don't know... maybe it's enemies with Survival skills or the lower RoF due to quirk removal, but I'm just not getting many kills or components destroyed with it post-ST.

I went heavy into the Firepower tree, picking unlocking everything that might be useful and then trying different configurations. Nothing has really clicked for me so far.

-paws

#7 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hey Aubergine,

The BJ-1 with AC2's is a lot of fun, you might not get too many kills but you can get a sh*t ton of assists. Just plink away whenever you can get a shot, it can be very distracting to the target.

I usually max out the armour, then visit the survival tree to add a few buffs. I like to be mobile in the thing so it's one of the few IS mechs I equip with an XL engine; even one speed tweak node with an XL225 will get the thing going 85kph.

Right now my favourite Blackjack is the BJ-1(C) with the XL235, AC20 w/3 ammo + 2ML. Added a mag capacity and speed tweak node and now I can run around fairly quiclky with room enough for ams/1 ton of ammo.

If you really want to have fun with the AC2, try the Rifleman 3C, you can carry four of them plus a couple of lasers.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 07 June 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#8 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, I like the BJ1 AC2 build. Oodles of fun, but don't expect to pull huge damage and kill numbers. You can be decently effective though for your size, and can be a useful suppression mech. You have to be super aware of your positioning and be an excellent focus fire/team player, and work like heck to get a decent game, but it is rewarding.

The BJ-1 It did get a slight nerf on its chassis quirks, so I think it is slightly less effective than it used to be, but it wasn't killed.
The BJ-1DC I think might be a hidden gem, its ballistic cooldown was not nerfed at all. No jumpjets but one of the fastest ballistic cooldowns available. An LB10X on it fires absurdly quickly!

#9 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

I used to run 2 ac+4ml BJ-1 because of quircks it was bit hard to get high damage because you had to constanly hit the guys with ac2 but it was fun as hell if you could pull it off. However checking the quirck change it lost a chunk of his ac2 dps.

dunno if the impact very big in it dps and if the engine decoupling helped or hurt it mobilty but in overal it still a *fun* mech but bit nerfed on the dps side.

#10 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

My AC2 BJ-1 are Suppression Fire role mechs, expect to score alot of damage, component and assist but hardly any kill.
2x AC2 with 5t ammo + magazine, have about 200 shots.
4x ML as backup
XL 235 engine
10 DHS
3 Jump Jets
304/306 Armour

On Skill Tree.
https://kitlaan.gitl...0448c&s=Weapons
Weapon
Take all Velocity nodes and Cooldown nodes, pick up any Range and Heat Gen node along the way.
Take both Magazine node for extra ammo.

Survival
None.
The BJ's most effective defense is speed and staying hidden.

Mobility
Go down the right side of the tree to grab all the Kinetic Burst nodes and Speed Tweak nodes.
Skip torso nodes since you only have backup weapons on torso.

Jump Jets
Dump spare point here to get Heat Shielding.

Operations
Head right to pick up 2 Improved Gyros nodes, you will be targeted by enemy suppression fire and LRMs.
Pick up near by Heat nodes and Cool Run nodes.

Sensors
Grab all Target Info Gathering nodes, you need them to quickly pinpoint enemy component to remove.
Zoom and Radar Derp are optional, take them as you see fit.
Seismic is ideal since you spend alot of time standing still and don't want lights sneaking up on you.

Auxiliary
For when the enemies is out of sight hiding from your dakka, drop an artillery on them.
Go down the right and take all 4 artillery nodes.
I pack 2 Artillery and 1 Coolshot consumables.

#11 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I think it has some viability, though a bit limited in its viability due to having to face the enemy constantly to do damage. It's an assist-making machine because it can do damage halfway across the map thanks to the 20% range quirk and skill nodes that can increase it further, so if you can stay 800 to 900m away and just lay down fire while trying to dodge Gauss and PPC rounds you can do some good.

There are so many builds that the BJ-1 can do though that sticking to its default weaponry is a bit like choosing vanilla ice cream at a Baskin-Robbins. Here are some of the completely viable BJ-1 builds:

2xAC5+2ML
2xUAC5
AC20+3ML
Gauss+4ML
AC10+4ML
LB10X+4ML
2xPPC+2xSL+2MG
2xLPL+2xSL+2MG
2xERPPC
4xMPL+2MG

And that's leaving out the various LL/ERLL builds. When the future tech comes the Blackjack should benefit greatly. Rotary autocannons, more LBX autocannons, more ultra autocannons, Light Gauss, more PPC options, more ER lasers. With a glass cannon like the Blackjack, getting better, more powerful cannons can only help the chassis.

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

BJ-1 upgraded with CW Tech.
Dual UAC2 replaced old AC2
Replace 4 ML with 2 erML
Increase JJ to 4 for better getting on to high ground to rain suppression.
Add an extra DHS, UAC2 generate alot of heat when it doesnt jam
Downgrade FF to LFF, to free up more crit space
Download engine from XL235 to XL 255, lost about 3 kph of speed

#13 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

I thoroughly enjoy my AC2 BJ-1. (currently 2xAC2, 4xML, LFE200)
Early in the match I use it as a suppressive fire mech, slowing the enemy advance by tapping them a bit. People often don't realize how little damage they are taking, first they react by taking cover, then they figure it out. At which point, their line of advance is staggered badly. Sometimes, people get suckered in a bit because I'm making a nuisance of myself from afar. That also helps string the enemy team out.

Later in the match I look for damaged (open component) mechs if possible, but otherwise I just support the brawlers as best possible (staying just behind them to share armor a bit, the BJ is only 45 tons, after all).

However, matches tend to go either awful (sub 200 damage, no kills/kmdds) or go very well (multiple kills/kmdds, lots of components blasted, etc.). For me, they usually edge to the latter, thank goodness, but you have to be VERY aware of what's going on, the flow of the battle, to make it work.
Of course, the same is true of most mechs, so....

#14 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Upgrade guns to UAC/2s and its orgasmic.

#15 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Frankly I found it be amazing. And honestly you don't need to invest in cooldown quirks, it's already firing pretty fast. Invest in survival and mobility. Then whatever you like. After the tech introduction I got extra weight from switching to an LFE and ER Smalls as back ups. It's a honestly really fun to play. It even does well in Polar Highlands as a suppression unit. Provided the enemy team isn't too coordinated on the lurm spam.

#16 Ralatar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

I run almost exclusively in a BJ-1, 2 AC2's 3 ML (IMHO 4 runs too hot and you need the ammo), 6 tons of ammo, TC lv 1, XL225, 2JJ, endo, max Ferro armor with 2 points off the head and a DS for (9)1. It's a hard build to run if your not used to suppression fire role, but...Last season to check my numbers was able to keep 320+ aver match score for 200+ matches. (IMHO you have to have full radar derp to make this mech survive, and lets you 'bait' LRM'ers into wasting tons of ammo on you as you dodge while hill humping only to pop back up to sandblast some more)

Now I do have well over 3mil XP on this variant so lots of time in to really get used to how she moves and plays but, put in the time, get used to the ballistics behavior of this mech, get used to the crazy face time antic's you have to pull that would make most assault faint and you can have a blast. Kills have dropped from 5-6 a match to 2-3 since the skill nerf but you can pull many 500+ damage rounds out of this if you carry the ammo to sandblast at range.

Edited by Ralatar, 06 November 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#17 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Some Mechs just want to watch the world BURRRT

#18 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostSirSoggyDog, on 30 November 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

I need to Farm me up a Blackjack and stick that build on it, that looks like entirely too much fun

Edited by Stf Sgt Marblez, 01 December 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#19 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 01 December 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

I need to Farm me up a Blackjack and stick that build on it, that looks like entirely too much fun

Anything that looks at ya kills you though.

#20 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostAthom83, on 01 December 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Anything that looks at ya kills you though.

I had a feeling that would be the case, but then again I like living life on the edge....ish lol :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users