Arty Strikes/airstrikes Op

170 replies to this topic

#21 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostJiang Wei, on 03 June 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well, I hope you learned your lesson then.

Yeah I did: Strikes are OP Posted Image

Edited by Gwahlur, 03 June 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#22 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Son I lived through the days when a single arty strike could one-shot your completely fresh 'mech by blowing up the cockpit. They're freakin' spitballs now.

#23 Jiang Wei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yeah I did: Strikes are OP Posted Image

Thats not the Lesson. What you should have learned was not to run your light mech through strike zone when you can clearly see the smoke beforehand and have time to avoid it. Your situation was just very unlucky. It doesnt mean the strikes are OP. One persons opinion is not enough to create a consensus

Edited by Jiang Wei, 03 June 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#24 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

They are

I hope you are joking. They have been a laughable joke for a long time now and really they still are. Only reason you see so many now is because if you skill for it you can have several and slightly better clustering. However, they remain a waste of c-bills.

#25 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostJiang Wei, on 03 June 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Thats not the Lesson. What you should have learned was not to run your light mech through strike zone when you can clearly see the smoke beforehand and have time to avoid it. Your situation was just very unlucky. It doesnt mean the strikes are OP. One persons opinion is not enough to create a consensus

I never saw the strike till i looked at the "death screen" to see what killed me

#26 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Dont blame the player, Blame PGI for not following Historical Lore. After all, they are trying to make money and I cannot fault them for that. But HOW they are is the question.

#27 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 03 June 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

I hope you are joking. They have been a laughable joke for a long time now and really they still are. Only reason you see so many now is because if you skill for it you can have several and slightly better clustering. However, they remain a waste of c-bills.

Well, my experience so far does not agree with your theory.

#28 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Its a point of fact not a theory.

#29 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

(new player) "wow this is a neat game and it's so cool I can use trial mechs to check things out and... what's up with all this smoke?"

(established players saving Cbills for July Tech Update) "Dang, leveling mechs kinda sucks but at least I'm not a noob at this game. Getting a good payout shouldn't be too bad... DEAR GOD all my back armor is gone and I have an orange core!"

(old whales who don't need to skill mechs or save Cbills) "Yup. I can carry multiple Arty / Airstrikes and I can afford to use them every match. Get rekt scrubs."

Such skill. Much excitement. Thanks PGI.

Edited by FireStoat, 03 June 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#30 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 03 June 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

(old whales who don't need to skill mechs or save Cbills) "Yup. I can carry multiple Arty / Airstrikes and I can afford to use them every match. Get rekt scrubs."

Their cost is negligible though... 3 extra skillpoints, and i have to do without a uav and a coolshot each match (yeah, i've started using arty strikes as well now)

#31 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

Also on this locust video, arty is hitting him for several seconds. Even if he didn't see the smoke, if he run AFTER the first shell hit, he would have taken way less damage.
You can test it, take an maxed out air strike, go to training grounds, hit it and run into it. See if it kills you in isolated experimental conditions. I doubt. But in any case, if you have run along the airstrike, geathering every single bomb dropped - you deserve to be blown up because logic. But as you said, it's not the most common thing ever, so you can't say strikes are OP because of this. It's like get killed from 1 km by two gauss slugs in a head in a locust while running, and camplain that gauss is OP. it's not OP, in both cases. You just got extremely unlucky.

View PostChristophe Ivanov, on 03 June 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

Dont blame the player, Blame PGI for not following Historical Lore. After all, they are trying to make money and I cannot fault them for that. But HOW they are is the question.

They don't have artilery and air strikes in lore? Somwhat I remember artilary strikes in other MW games. And in MW4 they seemed to be way more deadly.

#32 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Because it's ridiculous to be able to kill people behind cover like that. Aren't everyone complaining about how it takes no skill to use lurms? And this is so much worse than lurms

And this is the point where I drop these beauties:

Edited by Mystere, 04 June 2017 - 12:28 AM.

#33 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

And this is the point where I drop these beauties:

Puhlease, get on this level:
Posted Image

#34 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

View PostZergling, on 04 June 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

Puhlease, get on this level:
Posted Image

Ahem! It's all in the music and/or sounds of fear and agony. Posted Image

#35 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:46 AM

Is 20% damage spread node any good? Because sometimes I actually want damage to be spread even more, like when I'm trying to strike whole enemy team that is moving.

#36 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:50 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

I don't think you know what the word "theory" truly means.

#37 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:56 AM

You know what would actually work better for them is more warning. In particular they should show up on radar as blinking red dots, if one lands near you but not in your line of direct sight, you should still be made very well aware of it. They are not purposed to deal sneaky damage or get extra damage on unsuspecting targets (at least i think not), they are purposed as area control weapons, to force people to move from a position or sustain damage. They can be surprisingly sneaky at times, when you consider our super advanced mechs have no rear or side cameras.

So with that in mind the time they take to drop, and the obviousness of their existence when fired are super important for the role they are supposed to take up. Honestly I don't think they should be a consumable at all, but a weapon, like a tag laser used to call in X amount of strikes per game or something of the like.

#38 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 04 June 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

You know what would actually work better for them is more warning. In particular they should show up on radar as blinking red dots, if one lands near you but not in your line of direct sight, you should still be made very well aware of it. They are not purposed to deal sneaky damage or get extra damage on unsuspecting targets (at least i think not), they are purposed as area control weapons, to force people to move from a position or sustain damage. They can be surprisingly sneaky at times, when you consider our super advanced mechs have no rear or side cameras.

So with that in mind the time they take to drop, and the obviousness of their existence when fired are super important for the role they are supposed to take up. Honestly I don't think they should be a consumable at all, but a weapon, like a tag laser used to call in X amount of strikes per game or something of the like.

Well, if they're going to come with a whole lot more advanced warning, then they should also get a whole lot cheaper, a whole lot more numerous, and a whole lot more dangerous. Otherwise, they'll just be a waste.

And while we're at it, let's have smoke shells for long lasting (30-60 seconds) and wide area screens.

#39 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Well, if they're going to come with a whole lot more advanced warning, then they should also get a whole lot cheaper, a whole lot more numerous, and a whole lot more dangerous. Otherwise, they'll just be a waste.

And while we're at it, let's have smoke shells for long lasting (30-60 seconds) and wide area screens.

Indeed.

#40 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:29 AM

Arty/air strikes are definitely not OP, but I still don't like them being in the game, because they give an advantage to wealthy players. I personally can't afford strikes because 40,000 C-Bills is equal to 1/3 of my average match earnings. And the fact that other people can afford them and can use them against me kinda pisses me off. But I guess it's the nature of an F2P game.

And before someone says "hey, they only cost C-Bills, and anybody can earn C-Bills" - yes, this is technically true, but one's ability to earn C-Bills is directly tied to premium time, and premium time costs real money. So PGI are still giving an advantage to those who pay for the game, although in an indirect way.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 04 June 2017 - 01:30 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users