Arty Strikes/airstrikes Op

170 replies to this topic

#41 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 04 June 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Arty/air strikes are definitely not OP, but I still don't like them being in the game, because they give an advantage to wealthy players. I personally can't afford strikes because 40,000 C-Bills is equal to 1/3 of my average match earnings. And the fact that other people can afford them and can use them against me kinda pisses me off. But I guess it's the nature of an F2P game.

And before someone says "hey, they only cost C-Bills, and anybody can earn C-Bills" - yes, this is technically true, but one's ability to earn C-Bills is directly tied to premium time, and premium time costs real money. So PGI are still giving an advantage to those who pay for the game, although in an indirect way.

I can't agree with you. You can use consumables every game, and still earn cbills, just 30% slower. It isn't exactly a paywall. A bit advantage for whales, but hey, paying customers can buy any mech, instantly upgrade, skill and arm the way they want, without grinding cbills.

#42 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

I can't agree with you. You can use consumables every game, and still earn cbills, just 30% slower. It isn't exactly a paywall. A bit advantage for whales, but hey, paying customers can buy any mech, instantly upgrade, skill and arm the way they want, without grinding cbills.

Well, according to my stats, my average earnings per match are 129k C-Bills. That means about 100 matches to buy one mech. That's already waaay too slow. Reducing those earnings by another 40k C-Bills is simply not an option. But I guess if you already own hundreds of mechs and don't need to buy new ones, you can use all your earnings to buy consumables. Still, I just hate the idea of consumables with such outrageous costs.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 04 June 2017 - 01:44 AM.

#43 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:53 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 04 June 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Arty/air strikes are definitely not OP, but I still don't like them being in the game, because they give an advantage to wealthy players. I personally can't afford strikes because 40,000 C-Bills is equal to 1/3 of my average match earnings. And the fact that other people can afford them and can use them against me kinda pisses me off. But I guess it's the nature of an F2P game.

And before someone says "hey, they only cost C-Bills, and anybody can earn C-Bills" - yes, this is technically true, but one's ability to earn C-Bills is directly tied to premium time, and premium time costs real money. So PGI are still giving an advantage to those who pay for the game, although in an indirect way.

I agree that they can offer wealthy players an advantage and I disagree with being able to have up to 5 consumables/mech. Currently Looking to save cbills instead... but using 2xcool shots & 2xart in a mtach is definitely effective.

#44 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 04 June 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

Is 20% damage spread node any good? Because sometimes I actually want damage to be spread even more, like when I'm trying to strike whole enemy team that is moving.

Bumping my question.

As for consumable price, usually it's not exactly 40k because they can pay back a bit by their effects. And most people in MWO have all mechs they want and reserves of 100-500mil C-Bills, so it's only thing they spend on.

#45 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Well, if they're going to come with a whole lot more advanced warning, then they should also get a whole lot cheaper, a whole lot more numerous, and a whole lot more dangerous. Otherwise, they'll just be a waste.

And while we're at it, let's have smoke shells for long lasting (30-60 seconds) and wide area screens.

Indeed except for the more damage part, they deal enough damage, too much if the price was reduced, as a consumable you have to remember everyone can get 2 (or more if opened up), that's 12 that could potentially pop out at any one moment in a specific battle, and at 10k a pop they would be severe overkill.

The fact they deal AOE directional damage (can blow out rear armor etc) is a huge benefit, it means you have to take into account they can potentially hit 12 enemy targets in a single volley (and also 0), AND that some targets will dodge them much easier (and should be able to).

The damage has to be high enough to incentivise the target to get out of the area, but not so high that people start using it as a kill or damage oriented weapon.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 04 June 2017 - 01:58 AM.

#46 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:02 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 03 June 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Right now arty/air strikes are in grate balance. They aren't OP, but finally they are also not utterly useless, AND not behind the paywall anymore.

Which paywall?

#47 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 04 June 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

Which paywall?

Before skill tree you could buy arty steike for cbills, or buffed, two-three times stronger advanced arty with shorter delay time for mc. Thus real-money-paying users got way better consumables. Thus paywall.
Now anything can be bought for either mc or cbills.

#48 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:27 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 04 June 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

Bumping my question.

As for consumable price, usually it's not exactly 40k because they can pay back a bit by their effects. And most people in MWO have all mechs they want and reserves of 100-500mil C-Bills, so it's only thing they spend on.

How you like it. I didn't unlock the radius reduction, cause I prefer it to cover more area. I do spend SPs to unlock 50% more damage, and sometimes 2x arth on all my fire support or logn range harrasment mechs, so it's not like I don't want to spend an extra Sp. i just think it's more effective if I can hit more mechs at the same time, damage is ok as is.

#49 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:53 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

Before skill tree you could buy arty steike for cbills, or buffed, two-three times stronger advanced arty with shorter delay time for mc. Thus real-money-paying users got way better consumables. Thus paywall.

Ahem! What in Hades' name are you talking about?

The advanced c-bill and MC strikes were exactly the same. There was no pay wall.

Edited by Mystere, 04 June 2017 - 03:54 AM.

#50 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Ending up cored without being shot a single time just because maybe the red smoke was behind you so you didn't see it is ROYALLY pissing me off.

One airstrike that happened to land in the same direction I was running oneshotted me in a Panther.

It's a load of bullcrap

So, smoke lands and you don't see it. It lands BEHIND you in a LIGHT. You nearly get cored out, FROM BEHIND, piloting a LIGHT.

Let's see the rear armor on your Panther, bet it is real low. So low, that a consumable strike to your rear nearly cores you.

However, seeing that you want to stand there and proclaim that in spite of all combat variables you, in all your wisdom and experience, can now definitively state consumables OP.

Yep, bullcrap. Your shoveling it and we all can smell it.

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

The advanced c-bill and MC strikes were exactly the same. There was no pay wall.

Alternate fact covfefe.

;)

#51 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

When u levelled the strikes in the pilot tree using GXP , the quality of the strikes were equivalent to the mc versions

#52 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 03 June 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

There is a reason they're used often in comp play.

Proof or it didn't happen

View PostBohxim, on 04 June 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

When u levelled the strikes in the pilot tree using GXP , the quality of the strikes were equivalent to the mc versions

This!

#53 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

You couldn't buy advanced strikes and coolshot 18 for cbills, mc only.

#54 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 04 June 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

This!

Didn't advanced strikes get buffed by pilot tree upgrades as well?

#55 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

Didn't advanced strikes get buffed by pilot tree upgrades as well?

https://mwomercs.com...illery-strikes/

The priority air and artillery strikes. They are as good as the improved air and artillery strikes. The only difference is the price, you need to buy them with MC.

#56 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 04 June 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Indeed. Sorry then, my mistake. I never bothered to upgrade airstrikes, because I was allways short on gxp, so I just compared regular airstrikes and priority ones i got from events.

Edited by Zigmund Freud, 04 June 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#57 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

You couldn't buy advanced strikes and coolshot 18 for cbills, mc only.

Once again, the c-bill and MC strikes were exactly the same.

As for the cool shots, I could not care less. I only used what I got as rewards for events or tourneys.

#58 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

Don't get me wrong here, I think that they are totally a bad game mechanic because they don't have a tonnage/slot/tag/narc/some other information systems type of requirement to go along with having access to a bombing run --- but OP?

Come on now, they're really only dangerous if you have stripped armor and reasonably damaged internals, which you are probably going to die anyhow and should definitely be running on A game awareness levels to not get surprised by a random mech much less an arty.

Also behind you? Someone probably popped one on you and you were zoomed in or moving forward and then decided to retreat or both.

#59 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

OP, not sure if this happened to you or not, but I've been using a tactic with arty strikes similar to one that gets used with lrms. Pick the targets, drop the arty, then fire into the back of one of the enemy mech right as it hits. Usually a "free" alpha strike as folks are so distracted by the arty that just hit them, they don't suspect they just got hit by a light as well.

#60 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Nope. I've been wondering how i could get oneshotted by that airstrike, the only explanation i've been able to think of is that i was running in the direction it was hitting, which i'll admit is most likely not too common. Still happened (IF that was what really happened. Would love to see a vid on that too).

And thanks for the video Andi

iv only died ones from an arty and that was in a kit fox and the shell hit the head of the kitfox an that was way back when FP was 1st put into mwo and was one of those 1 out of 100000 things.

it is no way op

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users