#61 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

They are

The point of both is to flush out your opponent or have your opponent suffer some pretty solid damage. They arent OP. At some point in this threat you claim that your unskilled warhammer is cored by 1 but that doesnt make sense because if i am ever hit by one in my little raven(of which i havent skilled survival) I'm hurt but not cored. I think you might just be exaggerating and just a tad bitter about people deciding to use arty/airstrikes.
I'm not saying git gud, I'm saying be aware.

#62 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Postsycocys, on 03 June 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

That is a fantastic argument to make your case, I'm sure a lot of people will back you up on it.
they are indeed.
They are way way too OP. From 2K+ Meters away, Someone will launch an arty strike. Since they dont have a range limit, if you can see a mech way in the distance, you can hit them with a strike and take out a quarter to half to all their armor in the process. If i get hit with an arty strike in my stormcrow, my armor goes cherry red.

#63 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostGwahlur, on 03 June 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

I don't know what else to say about it?
They're being used more and more as more people realize they are in fact OP, so I guess you might come to the same conclusion soon.
Ending up cored without being shot a single time just because maybe the red smoke was behind you so you didn't see it is ROYALLY pissing me off. Lurms don't even come close on the "what a fkn ******** game mechanic" scale.

Actually they're still LESS powerful than they were before, especially the ones a year ago before the long tom fiasco. The only thing different now is being able to carry two of them. They no longer do crit hits, and they capped how much a direct hit does to each location at 15 points (it used to be 35 per shell) and the only way to core out a mech with one, is against a light mech, without enough rear armor, and not enough internal structure to take the 15 point hits.

One airstrike that happened to land in the same direction I was running oneshotted me in a Panther.

See above where I said rear armor.

Two arty strikes very nearly straight out killed me now in an unskilled max armor warhammer 6r.

Don't stand still for them. Duh. Don't front load all your torso armor. Don't skimp on head armor.

#64 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 June 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Press W

The delay from smoke to explosions is 4 seconds. Safe distance is 90 meters from the smoke. A kodiak from a dead stop cannot escape but a warhammer should definitely be able to make it.

#65 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 04 June 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

You couldn't buy advanced strikes and coolshot 18 for cbills, mc only.

The "improved" strikes and improved coolshot (which showed as 9 x 9s on the consumables list once you got the pilot skill) became the same thing as the advanced version. The difference was you needed GXP to unlock the pilot nodes to improve the consumables and advanced ones didn't need that at all, just MC.

#66 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

who the hell is getting hit by arty so much they die?

#67 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostBig MO, on 04 June 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

OP, not sure if this happened to you or not, but I've been using a tactic with arty strikes similar to one that gets used with lrms. Pick the targets, drop the arty, then fire into the back of one of the enemy mech right as it hits. Usually a "free" alpha strike as folks are so distracted by the arty that just hit them, they don't suspect they just got hit by a light as well.

They also work better if you wait till the armor is stripped as they'll readily blow components from he structure damage.

#68 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostJiang Wei, on 03 June 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well, I hope you learned your lesson then. Devs, what we really need is different colored smoke for your own team, so ppl know if its an enemy strike or friendly.

Doesn't matter, friendly artillery strikes will still damage allies. If you see smoke run from it, if you see smoke and a Jet in the distance run to one side of the jet.

#69 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

Arty and Air with upgrades are really doing a lot of damage.

#70 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

If it's op why not use it yourself?

#71 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 04 June 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

The delay from smoke to explosions is 4 seconds. Safe distance is 90 meters from the smoke. A kodiak from a dead stop cannot escape but a warhammer should definitely be able to make it.

That's good to know... I've used them to finish off assaults recently... whilst piloting a light mech, in both cases I was over heating and they had support coming... so neither the direwhale or kodiak had a chance of escaping :D (they were both heavily damaged)

#72 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

I just don't get why they cost c-bills to use. Counts for the other consumables as well.

It's like a remnant of repair and rearm they forgot to remove.

#73 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

I think arty/air strikes add to the flavour of the game and are not OP
Anyone can do it, so decide to invest or not.

View PostZergling, on 04 June 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

Puhlease, get on this level:
Posted Image

Long Tom where art doh

#74 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

But...it's not fair that I can't use them on my trial mechs....or put any points into the skill tree....

#75 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Good point, how else they gonna learn about the skill tree or dat Air/Arty strikes are not OP

I mean the difference between an unskilled and skilled mech may be even greater than before the patch.

What do you guys think? Maybe some one should make a thread about dat.

Maybe allow skill tinkering on one trail mech of the players choosing so PGI can still make money

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 04 June 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#76 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

The issue I have with it is when I'm battling someone and they place it right behind me, and within seconds I get a ton of a damage.

Seriously, that's just foul play against ONE 'mech. ONE. And you don't even get score for it either. The delay should be twice as long.

#77 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Actually, I'm not sure I like the upgrades.

The 25% damage upgrades are doing one more bomb/shell each. In an additional second. The usual strike is 4 hits over 4 seconds (after the delay). So, with full improvement, damage-wise, you get six hits in six seconds.
That gives everyone longer to get out of the area of effect, so... hmm.

Likewise the target area reduction, that too makes it easier to get out of the area of effect.

Now, if you can find some very obliging enemies who stay put while tightly grouped, fantastic, but I don't see that as often as I'd like (but all the time if I'm carrying NOT a strike, ofc).

Are the strikes OP? Certainly not. But very effective when used well.

Edit for missing word.

Edited by Insanity09, 04 June 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#78 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 04 June 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

The issue I have with it is when I'm battling someone and they place it right behind me, and within seconds I get a ton of a damage.

Seriously, that's just foul play against ONE 'mech. ONE. And you don't even get score for it either. The delay should be twice as long.

Did you just complain about being focus fired or being subjected to a form of teamwork?

#79 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 04 June 2017 - 01:29 AM, said:

Arty/air strikes are definitely not OP, but I still don't like them being in the game, because they give an advantage to wealthy players. I personally can't afford strikes because 40,000 C-Bills is equal to 1/3 of my average match earnings. And the fact that other people can afford them and can use them against me kinda pisses me off. But I guess it's the nature of an F2P game.

And before someone says "hey, they only cost C-Bills, and anybody can earn C-Bills" - yes, this is technically true, but one's ability to earn C-Bills is directly tied to premium time, and premium time costs real money. So PGI are still giving an advantage to those who pay for the game, although in an indirect way.

I agree with you to use either a art srtike or a UAV will chew up on average 1/3 to 1/4 of your income for the game to use therm.

Now look at it from the other side:
I always take the + 1 consumable skill for EVERY MECH.
I nearly always will set them up the same way, 1 air strike and 1 UAV
I am willing to use 1 of these every game to help the team win. If it is real close and I have a need of the other I might use it anyway to help get the win.
if 12 of us use these in a game we can go a long way to winning (the ultimate goal) and still make 100K a game without premium time which i never buy.
I will use my consumable to help the team win. If you want to stand in a cluster doing nothing expect me to drop one right on you.
Same goes for a UAV, Ill use it if I feel the team need it and it feels like the right place and time to do so.

To those who hate being one shotted, I feel sorry for the poor locust I one shotted with a 4*10 lrms in the first minute of a domination game. He thought he was in cover but I had LOS 600 out from the flank. bang dead, poor guy. He shouted to all WTF so I told him how I got him because he thought I had cheated.
Then again I have been on the receiving end of a gauss slug to the head in HPG when running a light.

#80 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

There have been so many strikes/art in my games today... I'm blaming this thread -lol

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users