Arty Strikes/airstrikes Op

170 replies to this topic

#81 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

I actually wish they would add in Smoke Arrow strike, FASCAM Arrow Missile, heck maybe even combing TAG with call Arrow Missile Strike. Just to add in more support types.

#82 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostInsanity09, on 04 June 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Actually, I'm not sure I like the upgrades.

The 25% damage upgrades are doing one more bomb/shell each. In an additional second. The usual strike is 4 hits over 4 seconds (after the delay). So, with full improvement, damage-wise, you get six hits in six seconds.
That gives everyone longer to get out of the area of effect, so... hmm.

Likewise the target area reduction, that too makes it easier to get out of the area of effect.

Now, if you can find some very obliging enemies who stay put while tightly grouped, fantastic, but I don't see that as often as I'd like (but all the time if I'm carrying NOT a strike, ofc).

Are the strikes OP? Certainly not. But very effective when used well.

Edit for missing word.

Area reduction is probably better for precise Airstrikes.

#83 Cyrion

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

Just one man's opinion, but the strikes were pretty crap before, right? Easily dodged. Not much damage. So, sure, give people an option to buff them in the ST.

However, did we really need to give everyone wildly improved strikes and then let them drop two a game? I mean, I understand PGI wants that Cbill sink and all, but it seems just a bit overboard. I could see either two old strikes or one new and improved strike. That seems like a nice, middle of the road solution. Seeing 30 strikes being spammed a game even in the PUG queue is a bit annoying though, IMHO.

#84 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

#85 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

View PostCyrion, on 05 June 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

Seeing 30 strikes being spammed a game even in the PUG queue is a bit annoying though, IMHO.

Seeing 30 Air strikes adds to immersion, IMO Posted Image

Feels more like a battle than a war game exercise.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 June 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#86 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Last wk when I spotted 4 enemy mechs camped out at the bottom of the center ramp at Mining Collective and I called for all the arty the team can spare. 3 went off and the bottom of the ramp was cleared - only a LCT ran away before hilarity ensued.

I love able to carry multiple arties now. Posted Image Maybe after the consumable meta sets in, less people will crowd around ramps and corners (looking at you River city citadel) and actually use their lower appendages to get into better positions.

#87 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

Some people want to nerf the fun outta everything.

Say No to Airty Strike nerfs today

Make MWO great again

#88 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 04 June 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

You know what would actually work better for them is more warning. In particular they should show up on radar as blinking red dots, if one lands near you but not in your line of direct sight, you should still be made very well aware of it.

I disagree.

Skillful placement of the beacon so that the target does not see the smoke should be rewarded.
Your idea would take away this game mechanic, making stealth beacon placement inconsequential.

I would rather reward this mechanic by say increasing damage on stationary target mechs by 5%. Any movement however slight would void this bonus damage.

A mech that see's the smoke only has to move slightly to mitigate some damage.
A mech that doesn't see the smoke often doesn't move and so gets extra damage.

It rewards situational awareness and punishes a lack of .

I know MWO is just a game, but one characteristic of arty and air strikes in the real world, is that they usually arrive without warning or with very little warning.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 07 June 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#89 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 07 June 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I disagree.

Skillful placement of the beacon so that the target does not see the smoke should be rewarded.
Your idea would take away this game mechanic, making stealth beacon placement inconsequential.

I would rather reward this mechanic by say increasing damage on stationary target mechs by 5%. Any movement however slight would void this bonus damage.

A mech that see's the smoke only has to move slightly to mitigate some damage.
A mech that doesn't see the smoke often doesn't move and so gets extra damage.

It rewards situational awareness and punishes a lack of .

I know MWO is just a game, but one characteristic of arty and air strikes in the real world, is that they usually arrive without warning or with very little warning.

When I can't even install an Iphone to the back of my mech to get rear view vision (one of many many examples) I find its best not to bring reality into it at all Posted Image logic is a bit different though, I do like things that make sense.

Its fine you feel that way about it of course, I just think there's plenty of weapons for "sneak attack" roles, the role of area control however is only utilised by these consumables, they should do that task effectively if that is their design.

But yeah the idea of them as effective area control is the main point I was trying to get at, like you say rewarding situational awareness, rather than just an extra damage drop to sneak in behind targets.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 07 June 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#90 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

I just want Airty Strikes to have a role in the game and not be Meh like before.

#91 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

I still feel their damage needs to be toned down, as it is now they can oneshot mechs. I don't think that's right

#92 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

You don't know anything about arty/air strikes until you've been in a FP match where EACH enemy brings 2 strikes EACH wave.

Thankfully that does not happen often.

#93 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Seeing how better teams simply spam then non-stop in comp matches you kinda get the idea how disbalanced they are ... Now, strikes themselves can surely use the reduction of damage radius, since 300-350m radius is kinda silly and makes them a true no-skiller to hit. But the main issue lies in the ability to spam them every 10 seconds. Given each mech can now have two of em it turns into nothing but arty spam real fast.

#94 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostZigmund Freud, on 03 June 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Right now arty/air strikes are in grate balance. They aren't OP, but finally they are also not utterly useless, AND not behind the paywall anymore.
Should I remid you they can be used only ONCE ...

You kinda show your total cluelessness here. Twice.
Grate balance indeed.

#95 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

1 strike per mech was the sweet spot. 2 is excessive. Totally changes the playing field, especially in FW/comp matches. Now its less about shooting, more about spamming. Two strikes take a heavy mech down to 70%. That's 30 torso damage per strike, per mech (15 to front, 15 to back. And yes, front and back counts). Two good strikes, thats 60 damage wiped off each torso component, basically an assault mech's entire structure.

Edited by ScrubLord1, 08 June 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#96 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:58 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

I don't think you know what the word "theory" truly means.

Unless I'm mistaken, his statement that strikes still aren't worth the cbill cost classifies as a theory.?

#97 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 08 June 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

Unless I'm mistaken, his statement that strikes still aren't worth the cbill cost classifies as a theory.?

I was referring to the formal scientific meaning of the word and not the (usually American) vernacular. Posted Image

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 07 June 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Seeing how better teams simply spam then non-stop in comp matches you kinda get the idea how disbalanced they are ... Now, strikes themselves can surely use the reduction of damage radius, since 300-350m radius is kinda silly and makes them a true no-skiller to hit. But the main issue lies in the ability to spam them every 10 seconds. Given each mech can now have two of em it turns into nothing but arty spam real fast.

View PostScrubLord1, on 08 June 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

1 strike per mech was the sweet spot. 2 is excessive. Totally changes the playing field, especially in FW/comp matches. Now its less about shooting, more about spamming. Two strikes take a heavy mech down to 70%. That's 30 torso damage per strike, per mech (15 to front, 15 to back. And yes, front and back counts). Two good strikes, thats 60 damage wiped off each torso component, basically an assault mech's entire structure.

It's artillery, not a feather duster or spitball! As such, I think these bears repeating:

View PostMystere, on 04 June 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

And this is the point where I drop these beauties:

Edited by Mystere, 08 June 2017 - 05:41 AM.

#98 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 07 June 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

I still feel their damage needs to be toned down, as it is now they can oneshot mechs. I don't think that's right

One-shot a fresh mech? They've been nerfed so much ao many times. The worst was giving all mechs magic force-field head protection.

And if you're complaining about them "one-shotting" a barely alive walking stick kept together by duct tape, that's called a coup de grace. Posted Image

#99 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

View PostMystere, on 08 June 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

I was referring to the formal scientific meaning of the word and not the (usually American) vernacular. Posted Image

In that case... It's a hypothesis? :P

View PostMystere, on 08 June 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

One-shot a fresh mech? They've been nerfed so much ao many times. The worst was giving all mechs magic force-field head protection.

And if you're complaining about them "one-shotting" a barely alive walking stick kept together by duct tape, that's called a coup de grace. Posted Image

I did get oneshot, fresh to dead, by an airstrike in a survival skilled panther. Presumably due to running in the same direction the strike was hitting, but still a oneshot.

#100 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

survival skilled panther...how was it skilled...structure buffs or armor buffs...and how much did you place on the rear torso locations ? You can see the effectiveness of a fully node skilled strike in the testing ground depends on where you place the marker. The jenner for example in the test-grounds CAN often be blown away by a single maxed out arty strike because you can get multiple hits since its a smaller blast zone, with more shells, on a stationary unskilled 35 ton mech with weak rear armor. But sometimes you won't get enough hits from the RNGs and while very soft and squishy, is still standing and combat capable.

Edited by Dee Eight, 08 June 2017 - 08:52 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users