83 replies to this topic

#1 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

I remember before the ST there was a lot said about how the MAD-IIC was going to be buffed beyond belief with the addition of the ST giving it buffs it never had before; this was both from Clan and IS players, in several threads, and to be honest it did make sense.

However, and please bear in mind I don't play Clan mechs at all, I've not noticed anything particularly OP about it. Seems like a competent assault mech, sure, but nothing overly amazing (or indeed game-breaking) about it post-ST.

Am I alone in thinking the fuss about the ST buffing this mech turned out to be nothing?

#2 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

It's very good but not game-breaking by any means.

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

It's tough, got good hitboxes, neutral mounts, mobility to get away with peeking, it's a clan battlemech, it's got a high engine cap, you can cram 19+ DHS with no issues, great hardpoint mixes, and it's just agile enough to get great benefits from the mobility tree. Now throw in all the inherent benefits of being a clan mech and there you go, a mech that is undoubtedly a powerhouse.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I don't really think so, but it remains a priority target. The laser boats are actually quite a bit better than before, with the reduced duration. Grazes hurt. A lot.

#5 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

It's more tanky than it ever was, which we all knew was going to happen, and now has access to more heat dissipation and things like laser duration, which it never had before. It's also more than agile enough without even touching the mobility tree, which I skip in its entirety, and of course has access to two fully skilled up cool shots. The thing is a dream to pilot. It's always spread damage well, and that hasn't changed, it moves fast for its weight, and the variants offer a wide variety of load outs. Not needing quirks means you can put pretty much anything on it. PPCs, gauss, lasers, SRMs, LB20-Xs. That's not something every, or even many, mechs can say. The only downside to it is it might be getting the nerf bat in a few weeks.

#6 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

Pretty much the best Assault mech in the game right now, nerfs incoming in June, Mad Cat Mk II incoming in July, taking the crown.

#7 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

It's a very good, top tier mech and very prevalent atm. I hope it remains viable post june adjustment.

#8 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

MAD IIC variants have a great ballistic placement set (A & C), very good hitboxes, mostly good hardpoint placement (arms are a bit low), and the terrible agility base of a Stalker.

Warhawk variants have solid quirk bonuses, bonus internal structure, much better agility base but worse hardpoint locations when considering the arms.

I think both mechs right now are equally desirable to players wanting different features and sacrifices. Further change might screw things up.

#9 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

It's a tough mech to bring down and brings a punishing level of firepower. I doubt they'll hit so hard that it'll be unusable. Though there will be those that claim as much. Chances are they'll just tweak it's performance down a bit. It'll still have the good hit boxes and firepower.

#10 Tier 1 Smurf

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

It's going to get nerfed so it doesn't matter what people think.

#11 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

king will be dead long live new king

#12 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

The non-laser vomit versions are more or less equivalent to how they were before the ST patch, its competitors however did not fare as well (mainly the KDK-3). The laser vomit version got better with the skill tree which is interesting given it was already better than the MAD-IIC at mid range laser vomit.

It's definitely strong, but I'm not too keen on them nerfing it because that just means we are back the dominance of the BLR-2C (seriously tired of playing that assault). I would prefer them nerf both the BLR-2C and MAD-IIC if they are determined to nerf the MAD-IIC. Though honestly, a lot of the assaults just need to be buffed after the skill tree outside the obvious and a select few (Gargoyle and potentially the Victor may not really need it).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 05 June 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#13 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

I'm not entirely sure why people are surprised by this. This exact same thing happened back during the Rescale with the IS Light mechs. The Locust became the king not strictly because of it being shrunk, although that did contribute. It became king because all of it's competitors got beaten six feet under by the Nerf master. Same deal here. The MAD-IIC is the king of Clan Assaults not strictly because of Skill tree, but mainly because it's primary competition was wrecked.

#14 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 05 June 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

It's tough, got good hitboxes, neutral mounts, mobility to get away with peeking, it's a clan battlemech, it's got a high engine cap, you can cram 19+ DHS with no issues, great hardpoint mixes, and it's just agile enough to get great benefits from the mobility tree. Now throw in all the inherent benefits of being a clan mech and there you go, a mech that is undoubtedly a powerhouse.

However there is a difference between being a powerhouse and overpowered. Powerhouse just means it is a good mech, Overpowered means it breaks the game in some way, form or fashion and no way in hell is the Marauder IIC game breaking.

Also the Marauder IIC took a huge hit to its agility when Engine Decoupling hit as it no longer can benefit from anything but speed from the fact it can mount a larger engine. As it stands now outside of the 100 ton Assault Mech class, it sits at having the worst mobility stats of all Assault Mechs.

I am not denying it is a good mech, but what it wrong with there being good mechs in the game? I guess the other thing that annoys me about the upcoming nerf is I can put up the same stats in my Bounty Hunter as I can in my best variant on Marauder IIC yet the BH isn't considered an OP mech, go figure.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

From what I've seen, provided a decent build and not incompetent pilot, they do consistently well. Are they OP? Not certain. But PGI has the numbers, and they claim it's over-performing. Considering how often PGI's chosen to sit back and wait before finally picking up the Nerf Hammer, hoping the community will come up with its own counter-measures... For PGI to move this swiftly makes me think that the problem isn't what happens when the mech is in the hands of average or below players, but that the MAD-IIC is too good a force multiplier in the hands of any above average player, and likely by a large margin... Just my hunch.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 05 June 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

I would prefer them nerf both the BLR-2C and MAD-IIC if they are determined to nerf the MAD-IIC.

That's technically probably going to be the case with the laser rebalance anyway.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 05 June 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

That's technically probably going to be the case with the laser rebalance anyway.

We will see, PGI seems to love the BLR-2C for some reason so you never know, it could come out stronger somehow, cuz PGI.

#18 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

Standby for the MAD IIC adjustments AND the energy weapon adjustments coming in a couple weeks. I expect Clan laser vomit will take another hit. Maybe Clan erPPCs too.

#19 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostEscef, on 05 June 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

From what I've seen, provided a decent build and not incompetent pilot, they do consistently well. Are they OP? Not certain. But PGI has the numbers, and they claim it's over-performing. Considering how often PGI's chosen to sit back and wait before finally picking up the Nerf Hammer, hoping the community will come up with its own counter-measures... For PGI to move this swiftly makes me think that the problem isn't what happens when the mech is in the hands of average or below players, but that the MAD-IIC is too good a force multiplier in the hands of any above average player, and likely by a large margin... Just my hunch.

This kind of goes back to one of my old posts though. There is just so much changing right now and in the near future that it is way to early to start nerfing. I mean you really don't hear about the Marauder IIC being Overpowered, those terms aren't used all that often. What you hear is that it is a strong mech or a good mech or power house or something like that, but rarely straight up OP. Take that and consider we are getting an energy weapon re-balance which I don't think it going to favor the clans and then add in the huge amount of new tech coming out for the IS just a few weeks beyond that and is it really over performing?

Overall I can see it really becoming a train wreak of changes for the Marauder IIC. That is what I want to avoid. Sorry but nerfing a mech until it isn't fun to play isn't a good balancing mechanic.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 05 June 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

We will see, PGI seems to love the BLR-2C for some reason so you never know, it could come out stronger somehow, cuz PGI.

If you give me a decent Assault or two not named the Battlemaster-2C, then I'll consider it.

Make Wubshees great again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users