Stealth Armor

49 replies to this topic

#21 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

With the current heat mechanic it's worthless in the first place. You literally can't use anything except maybe Gauss rifles for more than a couple of shots. And there are no ECM equipped Gauss carriers at this point. There definetely will be a Fafnir and maybe Pillager for dual regular Gauss+Stealth builds, but they are big juicy targets assault mechs, and it's not hard to spot them.

IMHO Stealth should replace ECM sensor invisibility in exchange for part of the heatscale locked (the way movement heat works now, e.g. armor is On= -10 from your max heat). The way pre-skill tree ECM worked was how the stealth armor should work now, with ECM being redesigned to fullfill some teamplay tasks: 180m range, locking target designations, damage grids, delaying info gathering, etc.

But whatever, PGI was asked to redesigned ECM for years and it never happened. Fish balance at it's best.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 29 June 2017 - 05:07 AM.

#22 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

The loss of friendly IFF will probably mean it will rarely, if ever, be used. Better use Light FF, if you have slots to waste.

#23 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

View PostScrubLord1, on 29 June 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

I fired an MRM 80 salvo into a stealthed raven that came running at me as I just crested the HPG platform. It turns out he was on my team. There is zero indication to differentiate friendlies from enemies. Stealth armor should not hide friendlies from the HUD or radar.

'cause reading mech list is too OP, right?

:D :D :D

#24 MayoSkin

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

my team had a griffin and their team had a griffin, one started running at us and the team opened fire nearly killing him because we thought it was an enemy. Turns out it was stealth armor working as intended.

#25 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2017 - 04:51 AM, said:

Stealh armor is working as intended.

If teamates are morons, it's not Stealth armor's fault.

How are your teammates being morons? You round a corner, and there's a mech RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU. He doesn't have a blue dorito. You're in quickplay, you don't know your teammates. What do you do? How can you know if he's friend or foe? We've been here before - as Tesunie said, we had this very mechanic when ECM debuted. It was TERRIBLE, it lead to tons of friendly fire (and at least then there was no FF/TK penalties), because there's no way to know who your teammates are in the heat of battle besides those doritos.

Try not to be thick. This is terrible gameplay, a really severe penalty for equipment of marginal utility in the first place. Worse, it's equipment that carries a penalty for your team mates too - it's not just about you getting damaged/killed, it directly results in your teammates being penalized and even temp banned. That's awful.

#26 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Really? Come on, man. Again: You round a corner, there's a mech in front of you. You've got a great shot, this instant. Do you stop and open the mech list to see if that mech might be on your team, in the middle of a battle, or do you take the shot? If you hesitate, he may open up on you.

In practice, this is wholly terrible.

#27 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostAdamSeal, on 29 June 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Turns out it was stealth armor working as intended.

It is. If stealth is stealh for everyone.

View PostWintersdark, on 29 June 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

Really? Come on, man. Again: You round a corner, there's a mech in front of you. You've got a great shot, this instant. Do you stop and open the mech list to see if that mech might be on your team, in the middle of a battle, or do you take the shot? If you hesitate, he may open up on you.

In practice, this is wholly terrible.

OF COURSE it's terribad!!!!!!!

Why spending so many spaces for what? being invisible into radar?? LOL

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 June 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#28 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

View PostAngrySpartan, on 29 June 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

With the current heat mechanic it's worthless in the first place. You literally can't use anything except maybe Gauss rifles for more than a couple of shots. And there are no ECM equipped Gauss carriers at this point.

Well, there is the Guille, but that's not in the PTR so, you're still functionally correct.

#29 ScrubLord1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:30 AM

I mean, you don't even seem to understand the root of the issue and you prefer to see the rest of us voicing legit problems as morons. Not much can be said to you.

#30 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostScrubLord1, on 29 June 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

I mean, you don't even seem to understand the root of the issue and you prefer to see the rest of us voicing legit problems as morons. Not much can be said to you.

ok, find me one single reason why I should use a "thing" that eat 12 slot+ecm.

I think YOU don't see why stealth armor is a huge crap, even if it would be visible in friendly radar.
It's crap.
Period.
Wanna make it visible for friends? It's still crap.

edit: beside, you don't get and understand that I, although I think it's crap, I state that stealth armor is working as intended: it's a strong jamming device, so it must jam any radar.

I'm sure that if you read well you manage to understand reading.

Unless functional illiteracy.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 29 June 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#31 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 29 June 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Well, there is the Guille, but that's not in the PTR so, you're still functionally correct.

Yep, forget about this one. Still single gauss is nothing to be exited about. Put ECM on a Rifleman or Jaeger and current stealth armor could be even remotely usefull, but still nothing to be exited about.

#32 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 June 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

edit: beside, you don't get and understand that I, although I think it's crap, I state that stealth armor is working as intended: it's a strong jamming device, so it must jam any radar.

You do realize that... an IFF signal has nothing to do with sensors or jamming radar? It's a little transmission that is sent from one mech to friendly mechs on a frequency that only your team has access/calibrated to that is nearly impossible to detect.

Even with Stealth armor turned on, people would still keep their IFF signals on too. They would have no reason to turn them off.

#33 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostRAM, on 28 June 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Given that Stealth Armour inflicts an ECM field on the using unit, removal of Friendly IFF is an accurate implementation.

RAM
ELH

Agreed.

#34 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostTesunie, on 29 June 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

You do realize that... an IFF signal has nothing to do with sensors or jamming radar? It's a little transmission that is sent from one mech to friendly mechs on a frequency that only your team has access/calibrated to that is nearly impossible to detect.

Even with Stealth armor turned on, people would still keep their IFF signals on too. They would have no reason to turn them off.

miracles happen.

#35 Beerandfuel

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBozeman MT

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

stealth armor is amazing on pirates bane and I use it when im advancing on an enemy line. If im around my team, well I TURN IT THE F OFF. Use it like you care that you and your team WIN!

#36 Flashshark

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

I did 5 mathes with stealth now and in 3 matches I got fire over long distance (750m+)
Seems there are some workarrounds, grafik settings or just hacks that make stealth not working...

So it seems worthless to me

#37 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostFlashshark, on 26 May 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

I did 5 mathes with stealth now and in 3 matches I got fire over long distance (750m+)
Seems there are some workarrounds, grafik settings or just hacks that make stealth not working...

1. This is a huge necro.
2. You went to the wrong forum.
3. Stealth armor doesn't make you invisible, just prevents you being locked.

#38 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostFlashshark, on 26 May 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

What Bullseye said, on top of the fact of... Did you ACTIVATE your stealth armor? It isn't always on, it has to be turned on. And when it is turn on, your mech basically don't cool itself down.

And this thread went a whole year with no responses...

#39 Flashshark

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:47 AM

Stealth armor makes u less visible of course
I have problems seeing luights using stealth, they blur with the background

Edited by Flashshark, 27 May 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#40 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostFlashshark, on 27 May 2018 - 12:47 AM, said:

Stealth armor makes u less visible of course
I have problems seeing luights using stealth, they blur with the background

All Stealth armor does is makes it so the enemy can not target lock you, nor can they get any visible locking mechanic (the red "Doritos"). It does nothing to the actual visual of the mech being stealthed.

Think of it much like the stealth bombers of today. They can still be visibly seen, but are nearly impossible to detect on radar. The stealth armor in this game operates in much the same way.

If a light mech is "bluring" with the background with stealth armor, then either your computer is having problems and doing it to all mechs (especially fast moving mechs), or you need to have your eyes checked... and you may need glasses... Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users