#41 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostJman5, on 19 July 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

I usually say "gj" (good job) when my team gets blown out, otherwise I say gg. If you want to interpret gg as some feigned insult, IDGAF. Go stew in your own misery.
I sometimes reply to a "GG" with "FU". Because it's not my fault or problem if someone would interpret that in any kind of negative way.

#42 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Does it really though??

Imagine onesided match which youve lost, what enemy team can actually say that wouldnt be interpreted as taunting??

GG <- What the enemy team can say. What they should say, if anything.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

So nice match is okay, but good game is not? Care to explain the difference since as far as I can tell, in English, the two are functionally the same.

So I wonder what they would interpret typing "NM" to be?

or is it because "gasp" in a society always in a hurry people dare to use abbreviations... like IDK, we do all the time, IIRC? ATM it just seems like some people need a hug. IMO.

#44 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

its just something thats been annoying for a long time... its laziness.. plain and simple..

Not everyone types fast enough for "Good game" to be seen by those exiting out of the match.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

ppl these days dont know what gg means...

you dont say good game when you steamrolled enemy 12-3...its akin to spitting in the face of defeated...

or maybe ....it's you who have lost the meaning through your own bias? Crazy concept, I know.

#46 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

my experience is that comparatively few people toss a 'gg' out when they're on the receiving end of a stomp

which indicates to me that at least for many people, it has little to do with trying to always be respectful of the opponent or whatever and much more to do with finding a way to strut and act superior to a team you've just beat

but hey, if that's how you wanna live your life nobody can stop you I guess

Edited by AssaultPig, 19 July 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#47 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

So I wonder what they would interpret typing "NM" to be?

or is it because "gasp" in a society always in a hurry people dare to use abbreviations... like IDK, we do all the time, IIRC? ATM it just seems like some people need a hug. IMO.

LOL

#48 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

GG <- What the enemy team can say. What they should say, if anything.

Then you imply that this match wasnt onesided or at best that enemy takes pity over you.
Both are taunts.

#49 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

I sometimes reply to a "GG" with "FU". Because it's not my fault or problem if someone would interpret that in any kind of negative way.

Nice false equivalency you got there.

#50 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 July 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

my experience is that comparatively few people toss a 'gg' out when they're on the receiving end of a stomp

which indicates to me that at least for many people, it has little to do with trying to always be respectful of the opponent or whatever and much more to do with finding a way to strut and act superior to a team you've just beat

I'm pretty sure most people on the ****** end of such a steamroll are just looking to leave the match and move on to the next.

No one is saying you have to say GG, or anything at all, at the end of a match. The original premise of the thread was to not get your nose bent out of shape if someone does say GG.

#51 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

So nice match is okay, but good game is not? Care to explain the difference since as far as I can tell, in English, the two are functionally the same.

nice match has 8 more letters if u include the space.. gg takes half a second and zero thought... its the type of thing that a paralyzed housefly can be trained to do in a lab somewhere.. I serious doubt anyone has time to exert a single thought of what they are doing when they mash GG and leave..

on the other hand actually typing something out instead of 2 letters and leave takes a little more thought and shows some form of sincerity.

#52 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

its just something thats been annoying for a long time... its laziness.. plain and simple..

or is it laziness of mind to assume the worst, all the time? Seriously, if that torques you off so easily, you are giving the world way too much control over your happiness and well being. At least save all that pent up rage for watching the daily news or something.

It's a video game. It's supposed to be a quick, casual spot of entertainment, a diversion. A person should not have to write a thesis or remain silent. How many times have you responded to a text message with an "OK" or even just "K" or "IDK"?

Should anyone that gets a text like that be auto triggered, because someone "didn't care or was sincere enough to type out... "OKAY, I got your message and agree"?

We live in an abbreviated society. But by all means, continue to look for reasons to be upset at the world, instead of focusing on real reasons.

#53 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Oh boy, this topic again. Where's all the little league coaches to tell us how "GG" is a sign of communal sportsman ship and the highest level of emotional expression known to man?

Me? If we totally steamrolled the other team, I usually use actual words. Something like, "Thanks for the game" or "I appreciate your participation".

#54 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

What is with the repeated fixation with "GG" around here?

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Odd. I toss out a GG 99% of the time on the receiving end...if I don't it's usually out of frustration with my team, or some tryhard dbag talking trash from the red team during the match.... in which case I usually amend it to "GG to all the non arseholes", or something similar.

#56 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

I see quite a few people here arguing that they are not responsible for how others interpret what they say.
That's either a child like view or probably on the psychopath checklist.

When you say something is often as important as what you say.

Saying GG before the losing team where you won 12-2 is just disrespectful because there WILL be players interpreting what you say as bullying and mean spirited behavior.

Saying GG after you lost or won a even and well fought game is completely different and I dare say seen by most in a much more positive light.

If you really mean GG in a positive way after stomping the enemy, well you should say more than just GG.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Indeed, if you want to live your life butthhurt and perpetually triggered, and giving all the illusory boogeymen on teh intrawebz control over your mood and happiness, it is your life, and nobody can stop you.

Curious how that works, yes?

#58 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Then you imply that this match wasnt onesided or at best that enemy takes pity over you.
Both are taunts.

The fact that you say "enemy" over "opposing team" shows just how srs bsns you consider the game.

Perhaps, and this may just blow your mind but probably not, the other team just might consider that you did put up a good effort, that you tried, but that in that match, they were the better team? And thus, to give you consideration and respect, state good game or well played?

Also, could I get your definition of what a good game is? Is 12-0 any worse than 12-6? Is a 12-11 heartbreaker better or worse than a 12-6 game where it was easy to know when the game was inevitably lost?

Is it okay to say GG to a 12-6 game, but not a 12-5 one?

Where's the line?

The answer to that question, I will bet a good lunch on, is different for everyone.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

I see quite a few people here arguing that they are not responsible for how others interpret what they say.
That's either a child like view or probably on the psychopath checklist.

When you say something is often as important as what you say.

Saying GG before the losing team where you won 12-2 is just disrespectful because there WILL be players interpreting what you say as bullying and mean spirited behavior.

Saying GG after you lost or won a even and well fought game is completely different and I dare say seen by most in a much more positive light.

If you really mean GG in a positive way after stomping the enemy, well you should say more than just GG.

No.. What you are claiming is akin to people saying they are OK to be offended if someone says "thank you" or "you're welcome".... because in YOUR mind you've decided they could only be meaning to mock or condescend.

And so yes, that would be entirely on you.

#60 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

or is it laziness of mind to assume the worst, all the time? Seriously, if that torques you off so easily, you are giving the world way too much control over your happiness and well being. At least save all that pent up rage for watching the daily news or something.

It's a video game. It's supposed to be a quick, casual spot of entertainment, a diversion. A person should not have to write a thesis or remain silent. How many times have you responded to a text message with an "OK" or even just "K" or "IDK"?

Should anyone that gets a text like that be auto triggered, because someone "didn't care or was sincere enough to type out... "OKAY, I got your message and agree"?

We live in an abbreviated society. But by all means, continue to look for reasons to be upset at the world, instead of focusing on real reasons.

see this is a perfect example of what people in the thread are talking about

here we have a forum post that appears to be completely benign; it's well composed, not aggressive, not a wall of text, etc.

but we know, because of contextual information we all have as speakers of language, that it's actually pretty troll-y. We understand for example that we're meant to be insulted by the last paragraph. Of course, BS is likely to come back and say that no, I'm unfairly impugning his motives and that we all ought to take words at face value! Because of course we're not angry-at-the-world miscreants, are we? Anybody who's spent any time on forums in the history of the internet has done this stupid dance with trolls at once time or another and ought to be able to recognize it for what it is.

gg, indeed

Edited by AssaultPig, 19 July 2017 - 08:18 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users