Should The Dire Wolf Get Armor Quirks Like The Annihilator?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Maybe not as much because its absolute firepower is higher, but it seems to help the Annihilator a lot, might be what the Dire needs to be more of a pleasure to drive? The Annihilator has the 90 degree torso twist too, while the Dire is stuck at 60. Just a thought.

#2 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

The Dire Wolf should be the nastiest mech on the field. Sadly that is not the case. Its not even the second nastiest assault mech.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

Maybe not as much because its absolute firepower is higher

pretty sure the annihilator wins for absolute firepower.
hero annihilator w/ x4 MRM30 = 120 damage for 36 heat

Dire Wolf should get decent structure quirks and it should get its Direwolf-C variant with ECM.

Edited by Khobai, 19 July 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostKhobai, on 19 July 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

pretty sure the annihilator wins for absolute firepower.
hero annihilator w/ x4 MRM30 = 120 damage

Dire Wolf should get decent structure quirks and it should get its Direwolf-C variant with ECM.

Well the dire can do a 94 damage pinpoint alpha so I dunno.

Also 6 UAC5s vs 5 UAC5s. And come on... missile spread damage is not the same.

And no lets do armor quirks not structure, and I'll take the Direwolf-C too.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

yeah the direwolfs offense is nice too

but the annihilator isnt exactly lagging behind the direwolf or anything

#6 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

I should take some direwolves out to compare them, will be hard to drag myself out of the MadCat 2 cockpit though. Really enjoying my jumping Scorch splat monster, haven't even built the MCII-1 yet!

#7 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

One problem with Direwolves is getting shot over ridges by mechs you cant even see. I imagine the Annihilator doesn't have that problem, you can be better informed of when not to move all your guns up.

In both though, poptarts are going to crap on your fun. I'm guessing Annihilator less so since IS AC-5s don't spray their shots everywhere.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:05 PM

Im fine with some Direwhale structure bonus, +8 ish to start with. Increase it afterwards if not sufficient.

#9 Cranial Enigma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:21 PM

I think a mobility increase for all 100 tonners should happen, its weird seeing the 100 ton mechs being this extremely sluggish and slow, even putting max points into mobility does very little to nothing because the base mobility sucks too much. But I think the first thing that would help out the 100 ton class is to bump up the acceleration to 9/10 and deceleration to 12. This still keeps them at the lowest mobility out of all the assaults but would be a huge improvement. But I wouldn't mind having armor added to the direwolf, it is pretty squishy, but I still think mobility would help it the most.

Not annoyed at the lights that sit on my back and are able to avoid my line of sight because I turn so slow, not at all.

(Found the chart with calcs on mobility)

View PostCub, on 25 May 2017 - 03:29 AM, said:

Also, just did a calculation of MASC on the Spirit Bear with it's acceleration 6.19. A 180% increase (the rate at which MASC boosts speed) of 6 amounts to 16.8 acceleration speed Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (for a very limited time.)

To compare, these are the acc/dec rates of other Assaults:
Assualts
Atlas – D = Acc: 6.19 / Dec: 11
Awesome – BQ = Acc: 15.41 / Dec: 17.5
Banshee – LM = Acc: 17.72 / Dec: 15.52
Battlemaster – 1G = Acc: 20.02 / Dec: 18.23
Cyclops 11-A = Acc: 24.63 / Dec: 18.88
Direwolf Prime = Acc: 6.19 / Dec: 11
Executioner Prime = Acc: 24.63 / Dec: 17.89
Gargoyle Prime = Acc: 29.26 / Dec: 23.12
Highlander – HM = Acc: 22.33 / Dec: 18.05
Highlander IIC = Acc: 20.02 / Dec: 17.22
King Crab – 000 = Acc: 6.19 / Dec: 11
Kodiak -3 = Acc: 6.19 / Dec: 11
Marauder IIC = Acc: 13.11 / Dec: 15.58
Mauler – 1R = Acc: 10.79 / Dec: 13.88
Stalker – 5M = Acc: 13.11 / Dec: 15.58
Supernova – 1 = Acc: 15.41 / Dec: 15.55
Victor – DS = Acc: 24.63 / Dec: 21.25
Warhawk Prime = Acc: 17.72 / Dec: 17.35
Zeus – 6S = 26.94 / Dec: 22.18

Doesn't include the civil war mechs, but this is an old post I went and dug up.

#10 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:56 PM

I'd rather see their mobility improved, and armor/structure quirks toned down.

#11 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

Maybe, I'm not opposed to the idea.

The Dire Wolf used to be incredibly scary, but that day seems to be long passed.

#12 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

Well, the armor buff would've been nice (better so than the structure buff as the equipment do not benefit from that buff). But somehow it seems unlikely. Better mobility in terms of torso movement limits is another option however.

Edited by pyrocomp, 20 July 2017 - 12:11 AM.

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

It could use some love. Give it a nudge up in twist speed and some nice structure or armor. Not as much as the anni because it is more potent offensively.

#14 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

i've thought for a while that the dire wolf could use some armor quirks. it used to be quite a scary mech, but nowadays i usually just think of them as an easy kill. they're certainly capable of dishing out the damage, but they could really use a little more durability.

i also agree with improving 100 tonner mobility, as that's a way of increasing their survivability while still keeping it skill-based. i'd love to be able to play my spirit bear again.

Edited by cougurt, 20 July 2017 - 12:41 AM.

#15 AppleseeN

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:56 AM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 19 July 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

The Dire Wolf should be the nastiest mech on the field. Sadly that is not the case. Its not even the second nastiest assault mech.

Actually by the LORE nastiest mek on a field where: - Annihilator, and also slowest))), than crown gone to Vampire which called in some BT fiction as "Undead", till Worlds of Blake and than Archangel helds the crown on the Most Nasty Mek till the end. Also nasty was Pillager, KingCrab, Devastator and DaiShi(DireWolf), . But not that nasty as Annie during Civil War.
The good news for Clans that we might be never see an VME-1A and the rest of VME series cause mojority of that mek models wear "Blazer" as main armament. Bad news that we'll never saw an "Whaler" VME-WHR who welds dual-IGR(Improved Gauss Rifle*)+dual-HPPC.

*IGR - Improved Gauss Rifle is actually an HGR with range and projectile speed of Silver Bullet GR, and 22 pinpoint damage.

As for an DaiShi... it will be always the mightiest armament platform in BT universe until Ares and Archangel comes out.

#16 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

View PostAppleseeN, on 20 July 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

Actually by the LORE nastiest mek on a field where: - Annihilator, and also slowest))), than crown gone to Vampire which called in some BT fiction as "Undead", till Worlds of Blake and than Archangel helds the crown on the Most Nasty Mek till the end. Also nasty was Pillager, KingCrab, Devastator and DaiShi(DireWolf), . But not that nasty as Annie during Civil War.
The good news for Clans that we might be never see an VME-1A and the rest of VME series cause mojority of that mek models wear "Blazer" as main armament. Bad news that we'll never saw an "Whaler" VME-WHR who welds dual-IGR(Improved Gauss Rifle*)+dual-HPPC.

*IGR - Improved Gauss Rifle is actually an HGR with range and projectile speed of Silver Bullet GR, and 22 pinpoint damage.

As for an DaiShi... it will be always the mightiest armament platform in BT universe until Ares and Archangel comes out.

Must be a translation error, because there's no mech called 'Vampire', 'Undead' or 'Whaler' in Battletech.

#17 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:17 AM

Yes. Not as strong as the Annihilator because IS equipment is bigger and stuff, but it needs something and has done for a long time (since the Kodiak)

#18 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

While we are at it can we give the 100 ton mechs some mobility back. They were sluggish before now they are just painful to drive.

#19 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

Agree. Annihilator is sooo tanky (at least until nerf bat hits it in the nuts)... but it has to be because it's slow, clunky and those hit boxes....
But the ammount of dakka you can put on it ;)

#20 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

Sure, I'd like a (good) reason to take out my Dires again.

Armour, or mobility, or a bit of both - do eet!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users