Next Mech Should Be A Clan 20 Tonner.

68 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Obrien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

I think clans are long overdue for an extremely fast hit an run mech that can match the locust.

and I think the piranha fits that bill just fine. Let's be honest, clan lights leave alot to be desired so the piranha would add alittle more flavor to the tiny dish that we have to eat out of.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

need pirahna to make micro lasers useful.

it is the only mech micro lasers wouldnt be a complete waste on

#3 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

Personally I think they should recall the Locust. And I bought the set back when they first came out.

#4 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

Yes, and it should be the Fire Moth.

#5 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

http://www.sarna.net...re_Moth_(Dasher)

MASC capable to 216 lol

#6 Joshua Obrien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostNgamok, on 03 August 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...re_Moth_(Dasher)

MASC capable to 216 lol

You know that would never happen though, at least not with the current engine. Or they would give us variants that are lacking the ability to maximize the masc. And with the current state of HSR it would be borderline impossible to take out a firemoth using masc.

#7 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

How about a light mech that has decent laser and missiles? I'm so dam tired of the only clan light mech I fight/team up with in solo q being the ach. Almost all my is lights are made to combat and counter the spl/sml ach. Adder? Cougar? Missing lynx? Ice ferret? Those are clan myths of light mechs. They really need a new fast 140-150 kph light mech and not copying is mechs like the jenner 2cs. I have three of them and they don't get much use err play time.

#8 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

PGI would sell a lot of mechpacks if they came out with a 20 ton clan mech. It would be a must have for anyone playing the Clan side or Mercs in FW

#9 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:40 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 03 August 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

How about a light mech that has decent laser and missiles? I'm so dam tired of the only clan light mech I fight/team up with in solo q being the ach. Almost all my is lights are made to combat and counter the spl/sml ach. Adder? Cougar? Missing lynx? Ice ferret? Those are clan myths of light mechs. They really need a new fast 140-150 kph light mech and not copying is mechs like the jenner 2cs. I have three of them and they don't get much use err play time.

The only legal Clan 20 tonner that can use Missiles is the Howler.

#10 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Here's the thing about the Piranha that many people are already forgetting. If we get this mech in game, people are going to boat micro pulse lasers and machine guns. That is fine and dandy until the potatoes start to cry about it. Eventually, enough potatoes will get killed by the Piranha and claim that is it OP. Consider that it is a clan 20 ton battlemech, so it will boat everything better than the Firemoth plus have better armor. Not that I'm against having the Piranha in game, but I almost can guarantee that either the chassis will get the nerf bat pretty damn hard, or even worse the weapon systems like the micro pulse lasers and machine guns will get nerfed thus ruining a bunch of other mech builds in return.

Do we really want to repeat the nerf catastrophe that PGI did with the IS ER Small Lasers and Clan Small Pulse Lasers?

#11 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Clans need more viable mechs.

Hellbringer only has the tonnage for laser vomit, but has no quriks to encourage running missiles/ballistics.

Mad dog needs ballistic quirks beause there is literally no point running it with ballistics now, it has low mounted arms that get blocked easily and the side torsos are extremely easy to single out and destroy.

Timber wolf needs more quirks to encourage builds other than laser vomit/missiles.

EBJ badly needs durability quirks since you can hit the CT even from the side and the top mounted guns are extremely easy to single out from any angle.

Orion IIC has the same problems that the Orion has, except argubably worse since it cant run 3x LPL without ghost heat.

Summoner is a waste of 70 tons. Woud love to have the ability to run ER PPC/LBX on it and not have it suck.

Direwolf is inferior to the kodiak in pretty much every way.

Mist lynx, ice ferret, nova, etc, are all junk with insufficient pod space and insufficient quirks to make up for it, IS mechs of the same tonnage basically **** all over them.

Needs more standard battlemechs as well, a 60 ton standard battlemech would fill in the gap nicely for example.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 03 August 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

Summoner is a waste of 70 tons. Woud love to have the ability to run ER PPC/LBX on it and not have it suck.

Try using the 2 ERPPC Nipple Poptart build. You can almost literally roll your face across your keyboard and still get at least 700 damage per match.

And no, that's not the only build it can do okay with, that's just arguably the best one for it. The Thor can also do good splat brawling, Gauss Vomit, and can kinda-sorta do laser vomit now that it can have up to 6 energy hardpoints. Not the most diverse mech by any means, but it can and does absolutely perform well with the few builds that do work on it.

PS: The Thor has greater agility than several 35-ton lights.

Edited by FupDup, 03 August 2017 - 08:05 PM.

#13 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

to be honest the summoner needs an agility nerf. a 70 tonner should not be as agile as light mechs. engine desync was supposed to fix goofy crap like that not make it worse

the direwolf needs some pretty massive buffs too. it needs atlas level armor/structure quirks. and it needs its ecm variant. Assaults and mediums should also get a bigger buff from speed tweak and other mobility skill nodes than heavies and lights. kindve like how the survivability tree gives different percentages for structure/armor depending on the weight class. it should be 10% for assaults, 12.5% for mediums, and 7.5% for heavies and lights.

and we still need the piranha for sure.

Edited by Khobai, 03 August 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#14 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

I want to see what they can do with the Howler!

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Boo Piranha, Firemoth or bust!

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

firemoth would be garbage

its hardpoints are bad

it also couldnt go its full speed with MASC because the speed cap is like 170

pirahna is like 10 times better

its got crazy variants with
12 ballistic hardpoints
or
15 energy hardpoints

so clans could actually use their light machine guns and microlasers and what not

Edited by Khobai, 03 August 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#17 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

I'll vote Fire Moth too. It would be hugely popular. A lot of people have been asking for it for a long time. Hell I'd help crowd fund it's development in the bink of an eye.

In all honesty I'd be happy with just about any 20t Clan mech though. Pirahna works for me too. Really want the option for FW drop decks.

Edited by SeventhSL, 03 August 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#18 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

View PostKhobai, on 03 August 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

firemoth would be garbage

its hardpoints are bad

it also couldnt go its full speed with MASC because the speed cap is like 170

pirahna is like 10 times better

its got crazy variants with
12 ballistic hardpoints
or
15 energy hardpoints

so clans could actually use their light machine guns and microlasers and what not

I'm not questioning the performance superiority of the Piranha. In fact, it's precisely the reason I don't want it.

The Piranha is a cheese 'Mech which creates yet another outlier case (e.g. 12+ E on the Nova, Storm Crow, and, to a lesser extent, the Gargoyle make cERSL look way better than they actually are and causing nerfs to those weapons). I do not want my LMGs and MGs nerfed because some stupid 150 kph ridiculousness can run around dealing between 12 and 15.5 DPS and potatoes cannot deal. Fun, yes. OP, maybe not. But absolutely cancer and absolutely more powerful than a Locust unless they want to inflate the hardpoints on said Locust (i.e. 8x or 9xE) and buff the SPL much further. And you just know PGI will whack both the IS and the Clan versions of the MG family as a result to curtail the screams, even though the things you can do with the Clan one are not combat-viable with the IS one within the construction rules (12x MG on a Locust would be 6 tons; congrats, you get a puny 3000 rounds for 25 seconds of firing time and 300 potential damage; compare to >9000 on the Piranha). Further, we're already going to get a taste of what massed MG DPS can do on a decently quick Light when the Wave II heroes and associated C-bill alternative variants get released later this month, which renders the Piranha moot except for CW drop-deck fitment.

The Firemoth is at least in line with the Locust in terms of capability, rather than paradigm-changing. Even if they give it whimpy MASC, it creates far and away less headaches in the balance department. And, finally, I think it looks cooler on account of its ridiculousness.

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

then why give us microlasers if were not going to get a mech that can use them?

the only way microlasers work is on a mech with tons of energy hardpoints but little free tonnage.

microlaser will continue to be utterly pointless unless the piranha is added

I do not want my LMGs and MGs nerfed because some stupid 150 kph ridiculousness can run around dealing between 12 and 15.5 DPS and potatoes cannot deal.

thats an easy fix, just add ghost heat to machine guns, so if you fire more than say 6-8 machine guns they start to generate heat.

everything else has ghost heat to discourage boating, so its not like a precedent doesnt exist

if necessary, you could also give the piranha a machine gun rate of fire negative quirk. like -5% or -7% machine gun rate of fire. so firing 12 machine guns would really be more like 11.2-11.4 machine guns.

Even if they give it whimpy MASC

speed cap is 170. so masc wont increase its speed at all. it already goes 170 without masc.

Edited by Khobai, 03 August 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#20 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Well.. A clan 20 tonner would give me some nice Dropdeck options.. so yeah.. a 20 tonner would be nice..

But it must have ECM and jumpjets..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users