Unpopular Topics.

209 replies to this topic

#1 JeremiahRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

First off, I haven't been playing for quite a while. I got burned out after the faction play seriously let me down.

The disparity between a PUG and a team is laughable... it's really not worth playing most of the time. That alone is annoying. I'm also an IS player. That also creates a problem, especially when my team is on offense.

I played MANY matches... and have never won against a team with a PUG. My team has always been decimated. Always. About 1/3 of the team just disconnects when they realize what's going on sometimes without even using all of their drops.

This is also because it's really REALLY easy for the defending team to spawncamp... and there's almost no reason not to. It makes total sense... but it shouldn't be allowed. This isn't a "tactical simulation" it's a GAME. Games are supposed to be fun.

If you enjoy shooting down mechs while they are still in the air, before they even have a chance to land... if that's fun for you... great. I want no part of it. I don't play with people who enjoy winning because of a poorly designed system.

So, after being away for a long time, I've come back to see that really... nothing has changed.

The disparity between PUGs and teams are ridiculous... the disparity between clans on defense vs. IS on offense is pretty laughable... the only time I've ever seen it come close is if the clan players are a PUG... AND the IS is a team... but I have only seen that happen once.

I'm sure I'll get trolled for posting this. I'm sure that there are many who LOVE things the way that they are.

I seriously want no part of it, and it's sad. I have 175 unused Premium Days. I've never felt like it was worth using them, either... this game has so much potential, but it constantly lets me down.

Ok, I've vented enough... I'm off to play other games again for a while... I'll probably check in again in another 6+ months... but I'm not going to hold my breath. :(

One of my teammates suggested that we all just sit outside the walls and leave the gates up. It's not the first time I've seen that suggested... and the response is always "we have to try" but really... the game is already over before it starts at that point. People have given up.

NOT. FUN.

#2 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

Maybe you should appeal to the folks leaving the drop without even trying to play instead of the folks that sit in lobby and actually play the game, I've played both IS and Clan and won the majority of my matches in either side, the tech is about as close as it's going to get balance wise so please stop with the Clan is OP and IS is trash and direct your displeasure at the folks that run away instead of playing a game as you call it and making it more feasible to walk all the way to the spawn and kill you and the disco's in your spawn.

#3 Tarakiller

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

Join a strong Unit follow Orders and learn.

#4 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

Join quick play and have fun.

Faction play is a dead horse anyway. It should be deleted from the game and erased from all history books.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

Pugging in FW is hard. I've pugged many hundreds of FW matches as IS and Clan. Balance is currently closer than it's ever been - CXL is still an advantage but not as huge as it used to be. Hence the tonnage mismatch.

The biggest problem you'll have is people trying to play FW like it's QP. That's going to doom you before the first shot is fired. MWO is a team v team game - in QP there's so many potatoes on both sides you can just wing it and do passable well. In FW there's a bigger premium on teamwork and teamwork is OP as **** in MWO in general, even more so in the respawn environment of FW.

Which is awesome, it adds a dynamic that you won't really find in other games and can be a huge amount of fun. However it does leave you with 3 viable choices:

1. Pugbossing. Start the match with a "Hey team, does someone want to call the drop?" Promote teamwork and see if you've got a skilled drop caller on the team who's staying quiet cuz pugs. If not you need to learn to be one which is hard. You'll want to take option 2 until you can consistently do option 1.

2. TS Slumming. Did this for a long time. Look on the faction boards, get the TS info for the Davion/Marik/FRR/Steiner hubs and go find groups to join with. Be polite, stay quiet, never argue and change your loadout to match what's called. this is the best way to learn the game.

3. Lose a lot. If you don't care about winning and you're unwilling to put in the effort to do what the people trouncing you are doing (which is one or both of the above) you're going to get stomped a lot. This isn't some cruel twist, this is an example of effort = reward. The scale of effort required to win consistently in FW is higher than QP.

The last option, #4, is a matter of taste and it's join a unit. In reality it's just option 2 but always having a single place and consistent people to go play with.

However teamwork is OP and it's what wins. Create it with pugs or go find a premade group to create it with. Any option that isn't that is going to involve losing to those who do.

#6 JeremiahRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 12 August 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

Pugging in FW is hard. I've pugged many hundreds of FW matches as IS and Clan. Balance is currently closer than it's ever been - CXL is still an advantage but not as huge as it used to be. Hence the tonnage mismatch.

That's fair. I don't have nearly as much of a problem with this than with the other two points (team vs. pug and spawncamping)

The biggest problem you'll have is people trying to play FW like it's QP. That's going to doom you before the first shot is fired. MWO is a team v team game - in QP there's so many potatoes on both sides you can just wing it and do passable well. In FW there's a bigger premium on teamwork and teamwork is OP as **** in MWO in general, even more so in the respawn environment of FW.

Oh, I don't disagree with that... but with a PUG it's a complete crap shoot. 3-4 crappy players who don't care about teamwork can completely ruin it for one team no matter WHAT they do.

Which is awesome, it adds a dynamic that you won't really find in other games and can be a huge amount of fun. However it does leave you with 3 viable choices:

1. Pugbossing. Start the match with a "Hey team, does someone want to call the drop?" Promote teamwork and see if you've got a skilled drop caller on the team who's staying quiet cuz pugs. If not you need to learn to be one which is hard. You'll want to take option 2 until you can consistently do option 1.

Tried. Failed. About 1/3 of the PUG always falls in line with whoever takes the lead... it's the other 1/3-2/3rd that don't seem to care that foul it all up. It doesn't take too many bad eggs to ruin the game for the rest of their team, even against another PUG.

2. TS Slumming. Did this for a long time. Look on the faction boards, get the TS info for the Davion/Marik/FRR/Steiner hubs and go find groups to join with. Be polite, stay quiet, never argue and change your loadout to match what's called. this is the best way to learn the game.

Which is totally fair. I get that. This, however, is basically saying not to play PUGs... which is the problem in the first place. Maybe PUGs should just not be an option for Faction play.

3. Lose a lot. If you don't care about winning and you're unwilling to put in the effort to do what the people trouncing you are doing (which is one or both of the above) you're going to get stomped a lot. This isn't some cruel twist, this is an example of effort = reward. The scale of effort required to win consistently in FW is higher than QP.

Sure... I'm already doing that. After every match I wonder why I bothered. I shouldn't have to get lucky in order to win... and the luck is all based on who gets picked for the team.

The last option, #4, is a matter of taste and it's join a unit. In reality it's just option 2 but always having a single place and consistent people to go play with.

You said it... this is basically 2.

However teamwork is OP and it's what wins. Create it with pugs or go find a premade group to create it with. Any option that isn't that is going to involve losing to those who do.

I have no problem with this in theory... but it fails to address the larger issues, to me.

I mean, even spawncamping isn't as stupid as being blown up before you even leave the dropship. (yes, that's happened me multiple times over the last 24 hours.)

I love the theory behind faction play. I hate the fact that, despite a few tweaks, it has remained relatively unchanged in years now.... there are those who clearly love it, and many who do not. Since Piranha already has my money, I'm guessing that there is little/no incentive to make me happy in this. This isn't about ME, though... I just think it's a missed opportunity.

Thank you for taking the time to write that out, MischiefSC. I know your heart is in the right place.

Edited by JeremiahRose, 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#7 JeremiahRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostLeggin Ho, on 11 August 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

Maybe you should appeal to the folks leaving the drop without even trying to play instead of the folks that sit in lobby and actually play the game, I've played both IS and Clan and won the majority of my matches in either side, the tech is about as close as it's going to get balance wise so please stop with the Clan is OP and IS is trash and direct your displeasure at the folks that run away instead of playing a game as you call it and making it more feasible to walk all the way to the spawn and kill you and the disco's in your spawn.

Nothing says "fun" more than begging and pleading with people who have little/no interest in playing to take the game seriously.

"...playing a game as you call it..."

So this isn't a game? It isn't about fun? It's totally about being serious, then?

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostJeremiahRose, on 11 August 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

First off, I haven't been playing for quite a while. I got burned out after the faction play seriously let me down.

The disparity between a PUG and a team is laughable... it's really not worth playing most of the time. That alone is annoying. I'm also an IS player. That also creates a problem, especially when my team is on offense.

So which part of the below did you not understand, when you clicked "OK"?

Posted Image

#9 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostJeremiahRose, on 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

That's fair. I don't have nearly as much of a problem with this than with the other two points (team vs. pug and spawncamping)

Oh, I don't disagree with that... but with a PUG it's a complete crap shoot. 3-4 crappy players who don't care about teamwork can completely ruin it for one team no matter WHAT they do.

Tried. Failed. About 1/3 of the PUG always falls in line with whoever takes the lead... it's the other 1/3-2/3rd that don't seem to care that foul it all up. It doesn't take too many bad eggs to ruin the game for the rest of their team, even against another PUG.

Which is totally fair. I get that. This, however, is basically saying not to play PUGs... which is the problem in the first place. Maybe PUGs should just not be an option for Faction play.

Sure... I'm already doing that. After every match I wonder why I bothered. I shouldn't have to get lucky in order to win... and the luck is all based on who gets picked for the team.

You said it... this is basically 2.

I have no problem with this in theory... but it fails to address the larger issues, to me.

I mean, even spawncamping isn't as stupid as being blown up before you even leave the dropship. (yes, that's happened me multiple times over the last 24 hours.)

I love the theory behind faction play. I hate the fact that, despite a few tweaks, it has remained relatively unchanged in years now.... there are those who clearly love it, and many who do not. Since Piranha already has my money, I'm guessing that there is little/no incentive to make me happy in this. This isn't about ME, though... I just think it's a missed opportunity.

Thank you for taking the time to write that out, MischiefSC. I know your heart is in the right place.

I played FW from the moment it was available. I played in a group but my schedule changed a lot so I was usually finding matches on the Davion/Marik/FRR hubs. Then I went on a mechaby tour before the "Being a loyalist doesn't suck enough, let's add new penalties" patch and played every faction, loyalist and Clan. Every hub, most private TS, played with tons of units and pugged a crap ton.

2 bad pugs is enough to shaft you against a mediocre team, 4 is enough to shaft you even vs bads. It's hard and frustrating. My best advice is he collaborative and positive and call out "good kill" in voip when one of the tereibads does well. You'll need to lead pushes, get used to pushing in and peeling off. You'll do bettee than jist going along for the ride but its frustrating. However you do it often enough and you'll get a "reputation" as being worth following and you'll get more buy-in over time.

Pugging is allowed because some people can do it and drive wins and some people do it to fill in with groups. The reality is that pugging in FW is really hard and usually a bad experience. Go with option #2. That you recognize the frustration inherent in this is a good sign - it means you want to improve and win and do well. Most don't, as you've clearly seen. Get on TS even without a mic. I did it tons - you're just there to get in a premade. Get in a premade, learn as much as you can and you'll build a circle of people you regularly play with.

That's when FW gets really fun.

#10 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 August 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

Wall of text
Option 1 read it
Option 2 not read it and just play

Tbh i am guilty of the latter Posted Image would help having word like in bold letter like *Strongly emphasis in team cohesion*

I bet i would have taken the option 3 only read only bold letters. Posted Image

stil havent readed evrything stopped halfway after *Strongly emphasis in team cohesion* Posted Image

Edited by Palfatreos, 12 August 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#11 Tigerwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Great, now when Mischief says "good kill Tiger" I know what he really means.

#12 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

I agree, it IS hard. All I do is PUG, unless there's some tournament that requires me to group up and I only play Clan. With all the new toys the IS got in comparison to the garbage we got, even regular ISXLs aren't at near a disadvantage they were before. RACs and MRMs are definitely putting a hurting on any Clan mechs that don't simply try to outrange it. Brawling is nonexistent in Clan PUG mechs.

Which makes you wonder why PGI opened FW up to anyone without any sort of prerequisite, not even making that joke of a tutorial mandatory before entering. I mean, they have to be aware that the gameplay experience for potatoes being harvested 4 times in 15 minutes is minimal at best, right? Still, they have to keep practice dummies in the game for the groups to practice on, I guess. I don't mind being OPFOR. I make lots of cbills off the PUGS when I drop with NARC.

No point, but keep believing it. To even have a chance of having a PUG team that will follow your directions, they have to a ) speak the same language you are, b ) actually be able to understand your instructions and c ) actually give a crap about winning or losing.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of the basic skills things we all take for granted are actually fairly rare in PUG groups. Remember learning to unzoom when you move because you will get stuck or trip on everything out there? Yeah...PUGlandia is constantly working on that. Seems there's a fresh crop of stumblers every match. Same with the "I saw a red target and fired, I didn't notice you were in front of me" wizards.

I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't group up.

Not exactly a profound statement for those of us that play in PUGlandia. You're gonna lose. A lot. The matchmaker makes sure it happens. A lot. For what it's worth, trying (or hoping) to win in a PUG group in FW is going to burn you out fast. Win or lose, there's always cbills. And it's not hard to maximize earnings if you understand the bonuses.

It doesn't take long to tell whether your team is going to win or lose...normally, you'll know when the first respawn rushes back to the front lines all by himself to get eaten alive again. Or your team has it's first permadead before the end of the second wave (seen it happen before the end of the first once...that's dedication, right there). Or a gate opens and....everyone waits for someone to go facetank damage and give them locks.

Nope.

It's not OP, it's what's expected. Individuals that can communicate in combat tend to do better, on average. Even in video games. I've seen a PUG team with small groups actually destroy 12 man premades. It's rare, but it happens. Most of the time, however, it's a potato harvest.

Not that that's a bad thing. Personally, I prefer to "out-potato the potatoes." I'm not arguing that LRMs aren't a low-skill weapon...but in the hands of a creative *******, they're lethal. I just wish they had the same trajectory as ATMs.

#13 JeremiahRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 12 August 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

I'll let the snark slide...

At which point did I ever give the indication that I hadn't read that or don't agree with it 100%?

I don't have a problem with ANY of that.

I have a problem with how easily other human beings can foul up MY game.... and spawncamping.

Neither of those are really covered in that statement.

View PostMischiefSC, on 12 August 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

I played FW from the moment it was available. I played in a group but my schedule changed a lot so I was usually finding matches on the Davion/Marik/FRR hubs. Then I went on a mechaby tour before the "Being a loyalist doesn't suck enough, let's add new penalties" patch and played every faction, loyalist and Clan. Every hub, most private TS, played with tons of units and pugged a crap ton.

2 bad pugs is enough to shaft you against a mediocre team, 4 is enough to shaft you even vs bads. It's hard and frustrating. My best advice is he collaborative and positive and call out "good kill" in voip when one of the tereibads does well. You'll need to lead pushes, get used to pushing in and peeling off. You'll do bettee than jist going along for the ride but its frustrating. However you do it often enough and you'll get a "reputation" as being worth following and you'll get more buy-in over time.

Pugging is allowed because some people can do it and drive wins and some people do it to fill in with groups. The reality is that pugging in FW is really hard and usually a bad experience. Go with option #2. That you recognize the frustration inherent in this is a good sign - it means you want to improve and win and do well. Most don't, as you've clearly seen. Get on TS even without a mic. I did it tons - you're just there to get in a premade. Get in a premade, learn as much as you can and you'll build a circle of people you regularly play with.

That's when FW gets really fun.

I like all of this.

J

#14 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostJeremiahRose, on 11 August 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

I played MANY matches... and have never won against a team with a PUG. My team has always been decimated. Always. About 1/3 of the team just disconnects when they realize what's going on sometimes without even using all of their drops.

This is also because it's really REALLY easy for the defending team to spawncamp... and there's almost no reason not to. It makes total sense... but it shouldn't be allowed. This isn't a "tactical simulation" it's a GAME. Games are supposed to be fun.

If you enjoy shooting down mechs while they are still in the air, before they even have a chance to land... if that's fun for you... great. I want no part of it. I don't play with people who enjoy winning because of a poorly designed system.

So, after being away for a long time, I've come back to see that really... nothing has changed.

The disparity between PUGs and teams are ridiculous... the disparity between clans on defense vs. IS on offense is pretty laughable... the only time I've ever seen it come close is if the clan players are a PUG... AND the IS is a team... but I have only seen that happen once.

I'm sure I'll get trolled for posting this. I'm sure that there are many who LOVE things the way that they are.

I seriously want no part of it, and it's sad. I have 175 unused Premium Days. I've never felt like it was worth using them, either... this game has so much potential, but it constantly lets me down.

Ok, I've vented enough... I'm off to play other games again for a while... I'll probably check in again in another 6+ months... but I'm not going to hold my breath. Posted Image

One of my teammates suggested that we all just sit outside the walls and leave the gates up. It's not the first time I've seen that suggested... and the response is always "we have to try" but really... the game is already over before it starts at that point. People have given up.

NOT. FUN.

I understand your frustration. I hope you take what I am about to say seriously because it's meant to help, not mock or be dismissive. If you want your CW experience to be fun for you, you are going to have to figure out what you are doing wrong and take action to fix it. I have seen several posts in here that can lead you in the right direction and I know that there are many posts in other areas that can help further. But if you are looking for PGI to fix this issue for you or if you are thinking that by quitting playing this game will fix the issue, you are bound to be disappointed. How can you make your MWO experience fun if you just quit? Granted, it will end your frustration but whatever it is that your missing will simply travel with you to your next experience and soon, it will become frustrating and un-fun too. Will you quit that too? What then, will you spend the rest of your days searching for some elusive happiness that is just out of your reach because some big mean external threat isn't fixing the problems that exist in the world?

I remember that match we had against you and I remember you venting your frustration but I am seriously trying to help here. Find out what YOU are doing wrong and take action to fix it. What you decide to do here will be a part of your life, for the rest of your life. Are you planning to let others dictate how this will pan out or are you going to dictate it? And if you want to dictate it, I hope you decide to look for ways to improve your situation from within rather then hoping or expecting outside forces to change things to make your experience better. That always ends poorly.

FYI, sitting outside the walls and leaving the gate doors closed won't change the outcome of the match, at least not with us. We like to fight and when CW was first starting out, people would try this against us and we simply walked over the gate wherever we could and engaged the enemy wherever they were. These people found themselves getting spawn camped much more often than the people who opened the gate and made a go of it.

It sucks when you get on a team full of people who just want to give up the moment they see the enemy team. I have been there and had to slog through it. Mischief is 100% right though. Lead by example. Not because it will help you right now, but it will become part of your life and part of your habits that will eventually pay dividends. Some people are simply not going to follow anyone, ever. Ignore them. Take what you can get and make the best of it. As time goes on and more people see what you do, how you do it, they will get on board more and more often. It takes time and dedication but if you want your experience in CW to be better, you really only have 2 options. This one is the long, arduous, painful path but if you stick to it, you can hold your head high, knowing that you earned what ever it is that you achieved. Option 2 is much shorter, join a team. There is no guarantee that this will end in success but you will win more and you can also start to develop respect within that unit the same way I am suggest to develop within the pug community.

Anyway, hope your experience gets better and know that any time you would like to stop by for some advice, KCom is (generally) friendly to people seeking to improve their game play. We'll drop with anyone who is willing to follow calls. Don't really care how much damage they do.

Edited by Pat Kell, 12 August 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#15 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 12 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

We'll drop with anyone who is willing to follow calls. Don't really care how much damage they do.

Pat's speaking the truth here. if you're willing to share your armour on the front lines with the rest of the team, shoot at the target called, and follow the call, they won't care if you do 500 damage across 4 mechs (obv aim for more). People who will listen to the DC are a precious commodity in FW, regardless of unit tags.

#16 JeremiahRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostPat Kell, on 12 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

I understand your frustration. I hope you take what I am about to say seriously because it's meant to help, not mock or be dismissive.

I appreciate that.

I remember that match we had against you and I remember you venting your frustration but I am seriously trying to help here. Find out what YOU are doing wrong and take action to fix it. What you decide to do here will be a part of your life, for the rest of your life. Are you planning to let others dictate how this will pan out or are you going to dictate it? And if you want to dictate it, I hope you decide to look for ways to improve your situation from within rather then hoping or expecting outside forces to change things to make your experience better. That always ends poorly.

FYI, sitting outside the walls and leaving the gate doors closed won't change the outcome of the match, at least not with us. We like to fight and when CW was first starting out, people would try this against us and we simply walked over the gate wherever we could and engaged the enemy wherever they were. These people found themselves getting spawn camped much more often than the people who opened the gate and made a go of it.

To be clear, I never advocated that strategy, that was two of the other members of the team who immediately started saying that over and over... and really... how can you "fix" that exactly? I appreciate the sentiment to look inward and try to address what's being done incorrectly... but it seems that all I did "wrong" was to join a PUG. Since I have no control over who I am matched with or how they act... I have to bear the brunt of that decision.

With only 1-2 'mechs really making it through the gates at all, it was sort of a foregone conclusion that once 4-5 enemy 'mechs started camping our spawn (it was nearly the whole team well before the end) and shooting down the 'mechs before they even got released from the dropships... I'm not sure what could have been done. I did my part. I tried. I listened and I tried. That's all I can really ever do.

Anyway, hope your experience gets better and know that any time you would like to stop by for some advice, KCom is (generally) friendly to people seeking to improve their game play. We'll drop with anyone who is willing to follow calls. Don't really care how much damage they do.

:)

#17 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostJeremiahRose, on 12 August 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

I appreciate that.

To be clear, I never advocated that strategy, that was two of the other members of the team who immediately started saying that over and over... and really... how can you "fix" that exactly? I appreciate the sentiment to look inward and try to address what's being done incorrectly... but it seems that all I did "wrong" was to join a PUG. Since I have no control over who I am matched with or how they act... I have to bear the brunt of that decision.

With only 1-2 'mechs really making it through the gates at all, it was sort of a foregone conclusion that once 4-5 enemy 'mechs started camping our spawn (it was nearly the whole team well before the end) and shooting down the 'mechs before they even got released from the dropships... I'm not sure what could have been done. I did my part. I tried. I listened and I tried. That's all I can really ever do.

Posted Image

All the answers you need are written in your words. You see the problem, you really do. Now you just have to decide what to do in order to fix it. Again, there are two paths to take. Join a group or start building a reputation as someone who consistently tries to do the right thing, lead the pugs in (those that will follow) and ignore those that chose to do their own thing. Learn how to drag them to victory in spite of themselves. Travel around the various TS's and learn from those that have played the game for a long time. Use that experience to help you when you are dropping solo and never let your frustration with pugs show. They argue with you, they ignore you, they tell you to do something that is wrong and your response should always be calm, rational and understanding. It sucks to get stomped on by a team (pick and enemy and make a game of it, ask you teammates to focus down a mech) it sucks to have people arguing with you (tell them you will follow them in, try it there way and see if it works because it's always better to do the wrong thing together than it is to do the right thing alone-at least in this game it is :) ). It sucks when you are dropping out of the dropship and you are dead before you hit the ground. Figure out a way to be more aggressive with your mechs so that you engage the enemy away from your dropzone, thus making it more difficult for them to spawn camp you. And most importantly, stop losing the match in the mech lab. Don't bring builds that are "fun" or "balance" or whatever catch phrase of the day that people are tossing about, bring something that works.

#18 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

You could try getting to tier 1 in regular queue. Everything you learn there will transfer into your CW performance, even moreso than just playing CW.

You can get dropdeck templates from units like Kcom but ive found that just giving people dropdecks, while a low hanging fruit, doesnt make them CW ready all in itself. You have to get the high quality playtime in one way or another.

#19 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 12 August 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

You could try getting to tier 1 in regular queue. Everything you learn there will transfer into your CW performance, even moreso than just playing CW.

You can get dropdeck templates from units like Kcom but ive found that just giving people dropdecks, while a low hanging fruit, doesnt make them CW ready all in itself. You have to get the high quality playtime in one way or another.

But, But, But you mean I have to put forth some "Effort".....

And to the OP this is NOT directed at you but there are so many out there that feel this way it's not even funny .........

#20 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 12 August 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

Sorta. You need a whole different deck pugging. Mid to long, ballistic heavy because you need stellar heat to do Mac damage while you're being overrun or to lead a sustained push. You also need speed. Pugging is 3 heavies and a medium or 4 heavies. You need to be at the front, rallying. In a unit you'll usually go assault, 2 heavies and a light and you can afford to focus on burst damage and trust your teammates to hold while you cool.

Also I would say QP skills are *not* FW skills in a lot of ways. A great way to pugboss and lead puggles is to open enemy mechs up to be 1 or 2 shots from death and move to the next target - the best way to get puggles to push is to give them an easy kill. They'll rush into death to get a kill. Helping them chase kills helps you move them up the map.

I do that in QP too - I usually run over a 1.5 w/l in solo QP unless I'm leveling bad mechs. My KDR suffers but if I'm going to play QP I'm going to focus on winning. Often in spite of my teammates.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users