Linebacker Rushes

100 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Arachinus

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Has any one found a effective way to drop these linebacker rushes in faction? even when your group is legging them they are very hard to bring down and can normally take most of you unit with them if not 2 whole waves or more. Or is any nerf being looked at for them? a handful of linebackers isn't bad but a whole 12 man team running them is devastating. and I'm not talking just pug matches here. even in tier 1 groups they are posing a menance to stop. Have been in 2 or 3 drops where they have all gone down without losing a whole wave but that is rare and normally only against low skill players.

#2 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

God, I hope they don't get nerfed. I love those speedy ********.

I'd say heavy direct-fire weaponry such as AC/20s plus focus fire. Such weapons fold the armor-quirkless Clan heavies pretty damn quick.

Edited by Catten Hart, 14 August 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

You gotta anticipate them first. There are groups that tend to do LBK rush, so check their unit tags. Once the match starts send out a scout ahead to see if the opponent is rushing. If yes, set up a firing line on an open ground and leg them as they come. Take off one leg and switch targets. Legged LBK is completely harmless beyond 300 meters.

That said, I have a relatively certain feeling that Linebacker will get a nerf this year.

#4 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

"Harmless" depends. The Linebacker can run a one Gauss, one ERPeep build, or a twin ERLL build, or a twin ERPPC build. It's just that it's so much more effective as a Splat brawler that most people just run that.

Edited by Catten Hart, 14 August 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

TLDR:

Legs.

Long Version.

1. The aim is to MAIM. Shoot the leg of one and move to the next. Too many teams try to shoot the other leg off (or then CT/torso etc). Waste, move onto the next FRESH mech and leave the legged one

2. Range. Use your range. Should always have a scout mech first wave and if so - setup 500m away. Let them come into you and "roll back" as they approach keeping them at range long as you can.

I haven't lost to linebackers... Yet... (I don't think, maybe one game?).

The other option is aim CT. You can take 3-4 down in 4 seconds. The problem with that is not enough people can land CT shots or more importantly have the fire discipline to wait until they have a CT shot and thus waste heat on a torso or otherwise.

Also loadouts make a difference - laservom is king right now and if you can't leg the first 2-3 linebackers first go you've got problems. If you are IS brawling you should win as Linebackers are undergunned hence the structure quirks. But if you're using Orions etc then you'll smash em as they are better brawlers, if you can brawl - and the structure on those things is just absolute insanity.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 14 August 2017 - 09:01 PM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 14 August 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

"Harmless" depends. The Linebacker can run a one Gauss, one ERPeep build, or a twin ERLL build, or a twin ERPPC build. It's just that it's so much more effective as a Splat brawler that most people just run that.

People do not rush with such long ranged builds. So if they are rushing, then it is most likely brawl build.

#7 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 August 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

People do not rush with such long ranged builds. So if they are rushing, then it is most likely brawl build.
That's a fair point. Didn't think of that.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

Yes OP is referring to SRM / MPL or SRM/MPL loadouts in Faction Play.

I can almost bet which units as well. 2 of them are good at it, one is horrid-noob at it.

#9 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Only if we nerf some other rush tactics...

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Also if it's Seige game mode and you know it's coming. Do NOT sit at the Gens.

Meet them at the gate and literally block the gate as they open it with a "cone" inside it (most maps can do this). You watch the pain then flow on.

Mostly beating it is simply a better tactical approach. I spend a lot of time not playing MWO lol, just on our unit TS shooting builds/theory/tactics with unit mates/other units & friends and so on when it's quiet on MWO and wait times (QP/FP) are 10mins+ (usually AU AEST 5pm-8pm). All sorts of people drop past during that time actually. Good times are had

#11 Doc Arachinus

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • Locationmichigan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

seeing mechs get nerfed is the last thing I want to see. though legging and moving on to the next without the one that's legged wreaking havoc is easier said then done. I rather see a limit on number of any mech type that can be fielded at a time. Like 4 or 5 mechs of any chassis on the field at once. Both Clan and IS. Like I said even in tier 1 drops legging them is a royal pain in the butt.

#12 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

Use the same tactics you would use against light rushs with the difference that lbks dont have jumpjets(or atleast not atm :D ).
Have people that scout so you get combat id.
Is heavys are way better brawlers in gneral.
On average dont build a firing line, most people dont have the skill/builds to stop the linebackers heads on.
As soon as some o them break trough you are ******.
Better get you asses to the wall, so they cant backstab you, in an area where you can build a killzone (walls on both sides, with some angle at best).
If they cant backstab, they will use more ammo/heat for the kills, so they will get weak over time, it will be a nasty grind and you will need people with guts.
Most important thing, dont run away! (most difficult part with pugs on your side i guess)

Actual its pretty easy to stop them.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostDoc Arachinus, on 14 August 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

seeing mechs get nerfed is the last thing I want to see. though legging and moving on to the next without the one that's legged wreaking havoc is easier said then done. I rather see a limit on number of any mech type that can be fielded at a time. Like 4 or 5 mechs of any chassis on the field at once. Both Clan and IS. Like I said even in tier 1 drops legging them is a royal pain in the butt.

Well it's easier than hitting CTs for most people (when the linebackers are twisting constantly), from what I've seen at least anyway :)

That said a leg on a LBK only has about 30pts less armour+structure than the CT - but the CT is hard to hit hence a leg on anything 350m away is how it's done while rolling back and using range (if you have it)

That said they do need a bit of a nerf structure/armour wise in terms of the brawler omnipods IMO. +15 structure to each leg is certainly up there. +8 would probably be a bit better.

Problem is in QP/Comp they are not super strong along... But you put all that structure/armour together, that is why 12 of them is formidable.

#14 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 14 August 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

God, I hope they don't get nerfed. I love those speedy ********.

I'd say heavy direct-fire weaponry such as AC/20s plus focus fire. Such weapons fold the armor-quirkless Clan heavies pretty damn quick.

quirkless? They are armored to hell...

----------------

I also have a hard time believing that 54th never lost to a linebacker rush. Though to be fair, I haven't encounter many of them to really prepare for them on a specific basis. It's an organized play with a specialized tactics aimed at bashing unfocused builds.

I imagine if you counter with any focus builds, you can win. The problem is whether you can anticipate such tactics coming with enough people in a cohesive mindset to counter it.

I imagine you can rush 12 EBJs and be just as deadly. Or 12 KDKs... 12 Madcat MKII...

Point is just cohesion.

(though those tanky speedy foks need at least their armor quirk taken away. they can't receive a boost in engine desync AND keep those armor quirks, that's way too much)

#15 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:37 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 August 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

Problem is in QP/Comp they are not super strong along... But you put all that structure/armour together, that is why 12 of them is formidable.

4 is formidable, 12 is serious overkill.

No team should want to make a 12 man group of the same mechs, and it shouldn't be particularly viable to do at all, but if it's LBKs I totally get it and wonder why it took this long. 1 or 2 really good alpha shot builds, incredible speeds, stumpy asf (great for taking cover and guarding legs).

Their speed is broken in ways, though I would argue the same is true for a number of clan mechs. Too damn fast, and not in a general sense, I do mean when speed is maxed or near to maxed, so many clan mechs go about 15-20kph too fast at maxed speeds. At least it seems like it anyway.

#16 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 14 August 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

I imagine you can rush 12 EBJs and be just as deadly. Or 12 KDKs... 12 Madcat MKII...

Many mechs if mass picked like that would probably do badly, particularly once a team is on to your game. The 12 linebackers is different in a lot of ways, considering the move at the speed of a light pack and can brawl like true heavies. A group of 12 linebackers would probably kick the butts of 12 KDKs with ease.

#17 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

After cSPL nerf and later on cERSL and cMPL nerfs, I'd rather take HBR or EBJ.

#18 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 14 August 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Yes the the spl nerf broke the most most broken lbk build.
#neverforgetmostfuninlbksincedawnoflbk

Edited by Dark Wooki33 IIC, 14 August 2017 - 11:51 PM.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 14 August 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

You've obviously never seen a 12-man linebacker rush done properly.

#20 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 15 August 2017 - 12:03 AM, said:

You've obviously never seen a 12-man linebacker rush done properly.

Still the spl build was the most powerfull for a certain time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users