Roadmap For September, October, And Beyond

252 replies to this topic

#161 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

View PostW E N D I G O, on 30 August 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

[...]
Anyone tell me please where the difference between a moving Mech (which moves his legs while walking) and a Mech standing on a non-flat surface (which does not move it's legs) but it's leg hitboxes are not symmetrical because it is using IK? Right. Everyone without the lately more common severe denial syndrome should notice there is actually none. Because it's just the hitbox itself which is tied to the 3D model, actually it is the same as the model itself and just an additional parameter of the model for hit registration.
[...]

Depends how they implemented it. It might be that the hitboxes are not tied to the models, but instead are animated separately to coincide with the mech's animation.

I'm not saying it's a good way to have it implemented, but you asked for an example, and I provided.

#162 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

I wish they had backed off of the skill tree the way they backed off IK, honestly. I didn't hate the ST that much, but I lost a lot of friends that abhor it.

While you can argue that they are not good programmers because they couldn't figure out how to implement IK correctly, at least they didn't do the work and shove it down our throats.

That's why I'd like to see it in the PTS, see how close they got and how broke it is. If they can prove they put in a quantifiable effort but it just wasn't going to work, what are you going to do? Right now, the only thing they can do is *say* they tried. I think demonstrating what they did and where it failed would lend a lot more credibility to the retraction.

View PostW E N D I G O, on 31 August 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

PS: You should apply for a dev position at PGI. Perfect match.

If this was directed at me, no thanks, I'll stick with software that saves lives, tyvm.

I do appreciate a good, childish retort though, considering I doubt you are qualified to make such assessments on "perfect matches".

I never questioned your understanding of IK as a feature of a finished product, but I might question your capacity to make HR decisions. ;)

#163 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

Well, I've never envied their undertaking this project. The sheer amount of expectation heaped on to a game built on microtransactions and open to ongoing development was, in hindsight, not a good idea. At least if they'd opened with a "mostly finished" product, people wouldn't feel entitled to declare what PGI *should* be doing... Either you liked it or you didn't.

In this era of forum warrioring, with so many vocal players with differing opinions, there was simply no way they were going to please anyone fully, let alone everyone.

I dunno if subscription or initial purchase + subscription would have been any better since the population is so niche, but simply put, I don't know how they'd have scrounged up the cash to front the venture in the first place

#164 Aidan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 542 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

1. New map = good
PGI studio should be able to turn out a new map every 3 months

2. Bolt-on Geometry = fluff and not necessary

3. Solaris = Good

4. New Mechs = OK (yawn) we understand you need to make money

5. No Mention of Virtual Reality = VERY BAD ! The price of these VR headsets is coming down all the time.
VR = Neuro-Helmet !!! Position MWO for VR !!! If you don't have the talent in your studio ... HIRE IT !!!!

MWO community, if you do not see the features you want, do not spend your hard earned money on this game!!!

#165 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostAidan, on 31 August 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

4. New Mechs = OK (yawn) we understand you need to make money

I'm confused by this comment. There are many players who seem almost insulted by the fact that new mechs are being made available for purchase regularly despite many players being excited about more upcoming mechs. Is it an issue that warrants scorn?

#166 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 31 August 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'm confused by this comment. There are many players who seem almost insulted by the fact that new mechs are being made available for purchase regularly despite many players being excited about more upcoming mechs. Is it an issue that warrants scorn?

I think it stems from people feeling that free content is lacking, yet the mechs never seem to stop coming. I don't know if that is a fair assessment and I don't even know if its a fair criticism since Tina & co. gotta eat too...

I get the "I want new maps" especially if the new maps expand on the diversity of gameplay till we get to the point that basically no 1 META build can be a top performer in all scenarios, forcing players to diversify their loadouts more, which in turn would force good players to get more creative (taters gonna tater)...

Edited by MovinTarget, 31 August 2017 - 01:09 PM.

#167 ninjachu

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

8vs8 could be fine

#168 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

View Postninjachu, on 31 August 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

8vs8 could be fine

It was fine in beta.

#169 LondonFires

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Please leave Quick Play 12v12. 8v8 will feel far less dynamic.

#170 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

My two cents, 8v8 will destroy what's left of the population, the saltminers need to qq elsewhere, solaris is fluff, mechhats are fluff, more mechpacks? Fluff. Ik was fluff to begin with. And also useless to actual gameplay, new maps? You mean one copy and paste? And three "new" ones? Fix models, animations and the thousands of other issues we've pointed out for years, k :3

On a side note, that clan light bettah be a 20 tonner :3

#171 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

Just a question for the guys saying that 8v8 will lead to doom and gloom; how do you get to that conclusion? Aside from having a larger population to select players from for better balance potential, the single most prominent change in game will be smaller death balls. Flanking maneuvers will be likely be more forgiving as players will run into smaller groups of enemies and will be less likely to die immediately upon cornering. Time to kill will likely increase as more fights will be 1v1 or 1v2. The use of 2 or 3 man flanks will provide more noticeable distractions and results. Less players will be needed for a push to gain traction... The more I think about it, the more 8vs8 seems likely to be the more dynamic option of the two.

I'd like to hear the arguments as to what we lose (aside from giant scores) by switching to 8vs 8 as well as why 12 vs 12 is so superior? Logic is a huge plus, purely or heavily emotional responses will likely convince me you're just being hysterical

#172 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 01 September 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

Just a question for the guys saying that 8v8 will lead to doom and gloom; how do you get to that conclusion? Aside from having a larger population to select players from for better balance potential, the single most prominent change in game will be smaller death balls. Flanking maneuvers will be likely be more forgiving as players will run into smaller groups of enemies and will be less likely to die immediately upon cornering. Time to kill will likely increase as more fights will be 1v1 or 1v2. The use of 2 or 3 man flanks will provide more noticeable distractions and results. Less players will be needed for a push to gain traction... The more I think about it, the more 8vs8 seems likely to be the more dynamic option of the two.

I'd like to hear the arguments as to what we lose (aside from giant scores) by switching to 8vs 8 as well as why 12 vs 12 is so superior? Logic is a huge plus, purely or heavily emotional responses will likely convince me you're just being hysterical

I support 8v8, but I've heard some of their counter-arguments.

They think, because there are less mechs on the map, it will be far more critical to deathball in order to have a critical mass of firepower. They feel that scouting will become riskier for the team as a whole, since a larger percentage of the firepower for the team is splitting off. There is a fear of the impact a single disconnect can cause - though they ignore that a reconnect option exists now, unlike when 8v8 used to exist. They feel like less mechs results in a less dynamic fight (though I am not clear how they got to this conclusion).

However, I've been here since closed beta. I've experienced 8v8, 12v12, I love scouting with 4v4, and I've participated in quite a bit of 1v1 and 2v2 lobby games. You know what I discovered? The larger the map and the fewer the mechs per team, the more map gets used. You don't need as much cover to hide your movements. As a result, you have more flexibility in where you can go. It also, as a result, means scouting becomes more important, since the team that identifies where the enemy is first can be more proactive. A note: scouting doesn't mean the light mech engages the enemy, only that it sees them and reports their position to the team.

Further, with 12 mechs on the map per team right now, the odds of you making a bad poke and getting lit up by 4+ mechs is going to be far higher than than the odds of that happening when you only have 8 mechs on the enemy team. Just because people naturally spread out to some degree. You'll have more forgiving "bad peeks." I mean, instant annihilation will still happen time to time, but the risk is, overall, reduced.

As a tie in to that, because the risk of instagib is reduced, the ease of access for brawler mechs to actually make a successful push increases. The "critical mass" necessary to instantly vaporize a push just won't be there in the same extent as it is currently. This allows for a more diverse combat style in any given match.

Then we have the match making argument and the PC performance argument. Both of which are practically sure things.

What will bother some people is that they might need to wait longer for the actual fight to start. They don't want to deal with the whole "movement" phase of the fight, and want to jump right into the trading portion of the battle. Maps like Alpine or Polar Highlands will be their bane, because now they need to actually locate the enemy, first. These are the people who usually want tiny maps. Those who thought Old Forest Colony was great, even though you could literally snipe across the map at the enemy spawnpoint at the very start of the game.

That's no bueno, in my eyes.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 01 September 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#173 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

View PostLondonFires, on 31 August 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Please leave Quick Play 12v12. 8v8 will feel far less dynamic.

If fighting in a death ball in the center of the map is what you consider "dynamic". I believe that 8v8 will be great on these bigger maps because players will have to move around more before encountering enemies. Also, with 8v8 frame rates will be more stable because there will be less Mechs to render.

#174 Jetset Quasar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

no, no 8v8 i remember the old days of 8v8, far before these founders (was pre founder lottery pick) and it was horrible, leave well enough alone pgi. The 12v12 system is great

#175 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

Wish I could also try 32v32! That would be crazy...

#176 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostDawn Treader, on 01 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

no, no 8v8 i remember the old days of 8v8, far before these founders (was pre founder lottery pick) and it was horrible, leave well enough alone pgi. The 12v12 system is great

I was playing in beta for a while before I bought my founder's pack and I liked 8v8.

#177 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

I missed the time of 8v8 (I started in 5/14)... How could it be worse than the current low-pop 12v12 we have now? At least you'd have less chance of seeing the same people game after game...

Maybe they could make it dynamic, so that when the "active" player base crosses some threshold for a server it bumps it up to 12v12...

#178 Cherry Garden full of Blue Roses

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostDawn Treader, on 01 September 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Read what Pariah Devalis wrote carefully. You've done it? Understand? No? Read again. Understand? Yes? Rejoice with it. 8 vs 8 is much better option.

You're registered in March 2012, I - in November, when open beta started and I bought my present PC
(1. I haven't had my bank account back then, I miss it now 2. In short: 16GB RAM, FX8350, Saphire 7970GHz Edition, now - Asus GTX1060 6GB, rest - same. 3. With old graph. card I've had stable 30-40fps, now I have 40-50 (high gr. options). 4. So I don't understand why some people with much greater machines have such a problems with graphic in MWO).

Funny thing is we have such a diffrent memories about 8vs8 (I have GREAT, aeons better that with dammit 12vs12). But you know what? I have had a really intense time of playing MWO close before 12vs12 release (when there was a result's table for 12 ppl, but there was still 8 in team). You can ask devs, maybe they have and they give you that info, if you don't believe me. But try to believe that - after 12vs12 begins, I stop playing that game for... few months, like 6-8. I was trying, but the game was unplayable for me - the death comes too fast like before, the battles were chaotic (in 8 vs 8 also matches were chaotic, but as a team, we knew well that what we are doing, we knew our movements each other, now - it's really hard to coordinate my teammates movement for me, spread in maps is bigger, there is more small signs on mini map etc., read the topic, at pages 8-10 all have been written already why 8vs8 is better than 12vs12).

And the most funny thing is that I knew the 12vs12 will be failure for me (PGI, glory for you, instead of beating aroud the bush IMHO, you admit 8vs8 could be better), so that's the reason why I was playing so much before the "update".

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 September 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

I support 8v8, but I've heard some of their counter-arguments.

(...)
As a tie in to that, because the risk of instagib is reduced, the ease of access for brawler mechs to actually make a successful push increases. The "critical mass" necessary to instantly vaporize a push just won't be there in the same extent as it is currently. This allows for a more diverse combat style in any given match.

Pariah Devalis, you have my full support with all you wrote in post #182. I want to thank you. Thank you! You've opened my eyes. I know why I am dying almost every time I play now, but still with the very good result in QP in dmg or dmg/kills (depends what I want to do Posted Image). I just... I just still playing like there is 8 players in enemy team Posted Image I have never switched myself for 12 vs 12 Posted Image

Edited by Cherry Garden full of Blue Roses, 01 September 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#179 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Lol the only reason they are "evaluating it" is because the pop is so lo, we run into the same guys every week, there just not enuff player base left and they want games to last longer that's all, I agree it will cause less "okidoke pokes" and getting wrekd but it will just be a step backward, go forwards, 24v24/36v36

Oh and to the idiots who want commando 2c it's 25 tons, pgi admitted the light is gonna be 20 tons, prolly howler

Oh and the is medium is the hellspawn, go figure; next mw4 mech pls? Do they just have a ***** for mechs everyone has already seen?

#180 Jetset Quasar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostCherry Garden full of Blue Roses, on 01 September 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Read what Pariah Devalis wrote carefully. You've done it? Understand? No? Read again. Understand? Yes? Rejoice with it. 8 vs 8 is much better option.

You're registered in March 2012, I - in November, when open beta started and I bought my present PC
(1. I haven't had my bank account back then, I miss it now 2. In short: 16GB RAM, FX8350, Saphire 7970GHz Edition, now - Asus GTX1060 6GB, rest - same. 3. With old graph. card I've had stable 30-40fps, now I have 40-50 (high gr. options). 4. So I don't understand why some people with much greater machines have such a problems with graphic in MWO).

Funny thing is we have such a diffrent memories about 8vs8 (I have GREAT, aeons better that with dammit 12vs12). But you know what? I have had a really intense time of playing MWO close before 12vs12 release (when there was a result's table for 12 ppl, but there was still 8 in team). You can ask devs, maybe they have and they give you that info, if you don't believe me. But try to believe that - after 12vs12 begins, I stop playing that game for... few months, like 6-8. I was trying, but the game was unplayable for me - the death comes too fast like before, the battles were chaotic (in 8 vs 8 also matches were chaotic, but as a team, we knew well that what we are doing, we knew our movements each other, now - it's really hard to coordinate my teammates movement for me, spread in maps is bigger, there is more small signs on mini map etc., read the topic, at pages 8-10 all have been written already why 8vs8 is better than 12vs12).

And the most funny thing is that I knew the 12vs12 will be failure for me (PGI, glory for you, instead of beating aroud the bush IMHO, you admit 8vs8 could be better), so that's the reason why I was playing so much before the "update".

Pariah Devalis, you have my full support with all you wrote in post #182. I want to thank you. Thank you! You've opened my eyes. I know why I am dying almost every time I play now, but still with the very good result in QP in dmg or dmg/kills (depends what I want to do Posted Image). I just... I just still playing like there is 8 players in enemy team Posted Image I have never switched myself for 12 vs 12 Posted Image

what i remember from 8v8 is my fullstack 8 stomping pubs with 51 consecutive victories, its a little harder to do that with 12v12
cuase theres usually a 4/8 man that can try to coordinate them. ANd lets be honest 8v8 is just an attept to keep the game alive longer since the cues are horrible, thats all it is

Edited by Dawn Treader, 01 September 2017 - 09:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users