#81 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostChuck B, on 13 September 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

So PGI is basicly going to make a FPS game, based on the HBS Battletech game.. minus knockdown/ physical attacks?

I hope so!

However like so many others have said, "proof before investment".

#82 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 September 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

For dumb shooters like Halo and the like, where cheesy titles like "Masterchief" are a parody in themselves, that is true.
But if you played (and understood) games like Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Witcher III, you cannot say that.

Ok, off-topic, but FYI "Master Chief" is an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. The full title is Master Chief Petty Officer. This is the highest enlisted rank in the Navy or Coast Guard. It's the equivalent of Sergeant Major in the Army/Marine Corps and Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force.

Also, I don't think the MechWarrior franchise ever had much in the way of actual story in their single player campaigns. Certainly not Witcher-level. Hell, the original BattleTech isn't exactly an exemplar of strong writing. It's unreasonable to expect something on the level of a Witcher 3 from a studio with little to no experience in crafting single player campaign.

Edited for correctness

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 15 September 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#83 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostZyrusticae, on 13 September 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

If what you're worried about is not being able to switch out lasers and autocannons and missile launchers, that concern is misplaced. Obviously, it would defeat the point of buying new weapons if you couldn't switch that stuff out. If, on the other hand, you want a variant with an XL engine and endosteel structure, you might have to spend some time jumping from world to world to find one with that particular combination.

Unless, of course they decide to make different models of X weapon with varying stats, meaning that Lord's Light PPC from a Kurita dealer might have different stats than the Fusigon left over from your last Steiner contract.

Otherwise, the cost-effective merc is going to be all lasers and PPCs, all the time. Not that you can't build that way with some shopping around, but being able to swap out weapon systems willy-nilly would at best, be a rehash of the MWO hardpoint system.

#84 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostPaigan, on 13 September 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

For dumb shooters like Halo and the like, where cheesy titles like "Masterchief" are a parody in themselves, that is true.
But if you played (and understood) games like Mass Effect, Deus Ex, Witcher III, you cannot say that.

You know, I'm actually mad that you brought up Halo in it that light. Unless we're talking about 5 here. For all of 4's faults, it had a damn good-and-dramatic campaign.

CoD or Battlefield 4 are much better examples of "Dumb Campaigns in shooters".

My Jimmies are rustled.

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ok, off-topic, but FYI "Master Chief" is an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. The full title is Master Chief Petty Officer. This is the highest enlisted rank in the Navy or Coast Guard, and held by only one person in both branches. It's the equivalent of Sergeant Major of the Army/Marine Corps and Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.
It is just a title as of Halo 4, technically speaking. With the induction of Spartans into a unique branch of the UNSC, "Formal" ranks don't exist, even for prior Spartan IIs and IIIs, and instead runs off the SR system (Which is canon, apparently. Even the Specializations, but most Spartans in-universe don't crosstrain into other Specs).

Guess that would mean circa Halo 4 and up, that Chief's more a nickname. What is also unusual is that his functional second-in-command for Blue Team, pre-Halo 4, is Frederic-who is an Officer, up until the change to the Spartan Branch. I never quite understood why an Enlisted SNCO led a unit consisting of a by-default higher ranked Commissioned Officer, or why Spartan Teams were never all Commissioned Officers, but whatever. The UNSC does a lot of crap that doesn't make sense.

Edited by Catten Hart, 13 September 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#85 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Not really a good habit for everyone else as well as yourself.

true I bought F15 Strike Eagle III for like $65 and played it once

spent $55 on TW's in this game and two weeks later it gets nerfed but you kids say oh
that's how it works

seems fools like to hang out together Posted Image

#86 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

I could immediately feel the heft as my 30-some-odd ton mech stomped through a forest, knocking trees down left and right like some mechanical Godzilla

/squeel like a little girl. Annihilator!!!! UUUUGGGHHHH. I would die if the Anni was in MW5.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#87 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostHeffay, on 13 September 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I too pine for an era that never existed.

get off my lawn.

#88 Shard Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 303 posts
  • LocationPugsville, Pugistan.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 13 September 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ok, off-topic, but FYI "Master Chief" is an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. The full title is Master Chief Petty Officer. This is the highest enlisted rank in the Navy or Coast Guard, and held by only one person in both branches. It's the equivalent of Sergeant Major of the Army/Marine Corps and Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.

Not to be "that guy" but I'll be "that guy".

The full title of the "Only one in branch" is "Master Chief Petty Officer of The Navy/Coast Guard (MCPON/MCPOCG)"

Plain old Master Chief Petty Officers, however, are in numbers greater than one. But, they are somewhat elusive and almost godlike. They aren't the same kind of Unicorn as Chief Warrant Officers though.

Signed,

Pedantic Squid

Edited by Shard Phoenix, 13 September 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#89 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

1) Non-linear campaign = Basically no story whatsoever.
2) No Mech customization if at all! You could get hundreds of variants from free market in-game.

Non-linear nowadays means BRANCHING STORYLINE. Thats a GOOD thing. As in, its not the linear mission structure of the past Mechwarriors, your decisions and performance will most likely affect the missions available and how the story plays out, which factions you fight for etc etc.

#90 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 13 September 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Guess that would mean circa Halo 4 and up, that Chief's more a nickname. What is also unusual is that his functional second-in-command for Blue Team, pre-Halo 4, is Frederic-who is an Officer, up until the change to the Spartan Branch. I never quite understood why an Enlisted SNCO led a unit consisting of a by-default higher ranked Commissioned Officer, or why Spartan Teams were never all Commissioned Officers, but whatever. The UNSC does a lot of crap that doesn't make sense.

It's out of respect. Fred knows John is the better leader and so he defers. Given the overall informality within Spartan ranks and the especially close-knit nature of Spartan IIs, it's not that weird.

#91 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

The only thing I concur here with is that non-customizable mechs seems off for a BT game. It doesn't matter if I can buy a 1000 variants, none of them is "my" variant with my custom loadout. I've been able to do this in every mechgame I played. MW, Starsiege, Frontmission they all had it(this reminds me that I want a new Starsiege and Front Mission q.q).

We will see how it goes, though. Strong gameplay will be much more important than custom loadouts anyway.

#92 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

2) No Mech customization if at all! You could get hundreds of variants from free market in-game.

Any little amount of interest I had is now lost.

I am pleasantly satisfied. I knew PGI would find someway to ruin a winning formula. They always do :P

#93 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 September 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

It's out of respect. Fred knows John is the better leader and so he defers. Given the overall informality within Spartan ranks and the especially close-knit nature of Spartan IIs, it's not that weird.

That's a good point. But even if Chief is the superior leader, and the rest of Blue follows him for strictly that reason, it still doesn't quite explain how Fred's not even Blue Team's leader on paper, given his rank. Or why Chief isn't an officer in the first place if someone recognized his potential as a born leader-another thing I never quite understood about Spartan IIs in general, as all of them are typically described as functionally college-level in education.

I would chalk it up to "Not knowing", but IIRC at least one member of the staff on Bungie's team was former USMC when Blue Team's lore was being fleshed out. One would think they would've pointed out the inconsistency and retconned it,or said something about it.

Edited by Catten Hart, 13 September 2017 - 09:06 PM.

#94 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 13 September 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

That's a good point. But even if Chief is the superior leader, and the rest of Blue follows him for strictly that reason, it still doesn't quite explain how Fred's not even Blue Team's leader on paper, given his rank. Or why Chief isn't an officer in the first place-another thing I never quite understood about Spartan IIs in general, as all of them are typically described as functionally college-level in education.

I would chalk it up to "Not knowing", but IIRC at least one member of the staff on Bungie's team was former USMC when Blue Team's lore was being fleshed out. One would think they would've pointed out the inconsistency and retconned it,or said something about it.

I think he is Blue's leader on paper, though, at least from what I recall of the books.

#95 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 September 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

I think he is Blue's leader on paper, though, at least from what I recall of the books.
Halopedia says John's leader, with Fred being the second in command and CQC expert. Granted, "Don't trust a wiki!" rule in effect, and the date the squad comp is noted at December 2558 (After the Spartan Branch was made), but still.

Oh, just checked. Yeah, current in-universe canon is that Fred is the current second-in-command of the squad, but he was originally the CO in charge of the squad prior to the Spartan Branch's formation. After they reunited post-Requiem, he gave John defacto command of the squad.

Edited by Catten Hart, 13 September 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#96 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 13 September 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yes it requires more thought you bloody fool.

Let's say you've got a lance of 20-25-30-35 ton mechs, and you end up against a lance of 40-45-50-55 ton mechs.

With no weapons customization you can't just slap on a brace of lasers and blaze away like a kid playing CoD. Unless of course your mechs are Wolfhounds or something which are laser boats by default.

You've got to figure out how to utilize the strengths of your mechs. Size and speed for instance, as well as the terrain, to turn the fight in your favor, fight in a way and location that maximizes your mechs potential, while exploiting the weaknesses of your enemies mechs.

Let's say you've got a lance of Commando 2Ds, and you've got to fend off a lance of Crab 27s.

Your mechs best weapons are primarily ammunition based, while your enemies are laser boats.

You don't have to worry about overheating if you're smart, but you do have to worry about running out of ammo.

Your enemy doesn't have to worry about ammo, but do have to worry about overheating.

How would you exploit the weakness of the Crabs all energy weapons load?

You realize if they kept the hardpoint system that they currently have in MWO customizing a 'mech would never be as simple as "slap on as many lasers as possible and go", right? It's not that simple in MWO and it won't be that simple in MW5 either if the AI is any good. And if the AI isn't any good then I'm not sure it's worth playing.

#97 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostStonefalcon, on 13 September 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

[/size][/font]

/squeel like a little girl. Annihilator!!!! UUUUGGGHHHH. I would die if the Anni was in MW5.

It will be most likely.

#98 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

I would like if the game starts with IS only and as the time develops they release Theme-Packs like Clan Invasion, Civil War, stuff that happened that is not the Dark Age bcs even if i am willing to play through the Invasion and Civil War Timeline the Dark Ages never happenend and so the things that finally lead to the Dark Age neven happened.

Limited Customization is good bcs it means you have to make choices - many Mechs have undergone modifications but a fully customizable Mech is something of a great raritiy and that Mech is not really customizable but a hand-tailored prototype based on an existing Mech that is then stripped of anything and heavily modified which is more expensive that a couple of Standard Mechs.

So it could be a goal to become that famous that you are granted access to such an advanced Mechfacility that you can customize yourself 1 Hero-Mech for your personal use.

The dynamically generated Maps can be made of procedually generated Terrain and handcrafted objects from simple Structures to whole Facilities and Towns - i would like to have maps that are not predictable bcs you have already played them 1000 times.

When it comes out we will see what they could achieve and how good MW5 has become.

Edited by Thorqemada, 13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#99 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

So what are the "win conditions" if there is no linear story. I have played a game or two like this, cant remember the names from the top of my head, but the overall point is you keep playing any way you want, but eventually you get a objective to end the game/story.

Or is this more like, there is a "linear story" as time progresses, but you can play it out anyway you want. I.E, you build up your mechbays and reputation, clans arrive and the "final objective" would be the Tukkayid Battle. Something like that, but I'm making assumptions here.

#100 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:20 PM

OK, so..

1) Non-linear campaign - this means you get to pick your own missions, and they don't have to be connected.. if done properly, this can be quite fun, although if you ask me, it would be better to make multiple mini-campaigns with a rich storyline..

2) No mech customization whatsoever?! Are you BLOODY KIDDING ME!? Customization is like - half the game! Without this, AND no story.. we're gonna get.. what.. MWO, but without the "O" part?

PGI, you CANNOT expect for a half-assed product without all the basic components to be successful.. when will you get it through your skulls that immersion, story, customization and details ARE IMPORTANT?!

This new info is making me feel like MW5 will come about about as finished as the Civil War patch.. :-(

Edited by Vellron2005, 13 September 2017 - 11:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users